ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

Schutt will get his shot. (pun intended) Like every other shooter, he will need to make shots to see the floor. Our freshman have mixed results as shooters. (See Keels, Kennard, Baker, O'Connell) It will be curious to see how good a shooter Proctor is. Catching's PT may depend on Mitchell. If Mitchell is a stud, we prob. won't need Catchings. But if injuries or Mitchell struggles, we have Catchings. If he could be a defensive stopper that will help. Catchings can hit the 3, so maybe he gives us more than Bates Jones did.

Last edited:
Schutt will get his shot. (pun intended) Like every other shooter, he will need to make shots to see the floor. Our freshman have mixed results as shooters. (See Keels, Kennard, Baker, O'Connell) It will be curious to see how good a shooter Proctor is. Catching's PT may depend on Mitchell. If Mitchell is a stud, we prob. won't need Catchings. But if injuries or Mitchell struggles, we have Catchings. If he could be a defensive stopper that will help. Catchings can hit the 3, so maybe he gives us more than Bates Jones did.
I think Catchings comes off the bench behind Whitehead. If he can come in an provide five to ten minutes a game defensively that helps the freshman. I think the front four are set with Lively , Flip, Young and Mitchell (pf/C).

These are my minutes projections now that the roster is set.
PG: Roach 30 Proctor 8, Blakes 2
SG Grandison 25, Proctor 10, Schutt 5
SF: Whitehead 30, Catchings 8, Grandison 2
PF: Flip 20, Mitchell 20
C: Lively 20, Young 12, Flip 6, Mitchell 2
Edit: Nance to UNC official.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
I expect nothing from Catchings. He averaged 9 points, 4 rebounds. and less than one assist per game. He doesn't block any shots. He shot 56% from the foul line. FT% is my favorite way to judge shooting ability. It's the same shot for everyone.

I've never seen him play. I hope that he has a wonderful experience at Duke. The competition at Harvard is weak.

I've seen him in some summer league games. He's a strong kid, an experienced wing. Remains to be seen how effective he is at Duke, but seems like a kid who could go in for a few minutes and not hurt us. And Amaker likes him. Worst case he pushes the freshman in practice, but I'd guess he sees a few minutes per game. Of course, Grandison may be able to do everything he does, only better.

Last edited:
These are my minutes projections now that the roster is set.
PG: Roach 30 Proctor 8, Blakes 2
SG Grandison 25, Proctor 10, Schutt 5
SF: Whitehead 30, Catchings 8, Grandison 2
PF: Flip 20, Mitchell 20
C: Lively 20, Young 12, Flip 6, Mitchell 2
Edit: Nance to UNC official.

I'm pretty much with you on the minutes.

I'd like to see Blakes and Schutt get a little more time but they will have to earn it ahead of Granderson and Whitehead.

I would take away the 2 minutes for Mitchell at the 5 but that's a minor quibble.

I also feel Lively is going to be a 20-25 minute player at least until the end of the season. I watched him several times on TV in high school and he seems to disappear a lot of the time. I don't know if Young or Flip will get his minutes, maybe depends on situation.

You've got a 7-8 regular rotation which may be about right unless someone asserts himself and proves he's entitled to consistent rotation minutes as well.

My 20 minutes for Lively was not a knock on him. Freshman centers tend to play a little less. He may have foul trouble, and this will allow him to go hard the whole time knowing Young or Flip can replace him. Young is a step slow so he may get more minutes against big teams, less against small quick teams.

Last edited:
PG: Roach 32, Proctor 8
SG: Proctor 17, Grandison 18, Schutt 5
SF: Whitehead 32, Grandison 4, Mitchell 4
PF: Flip 20, Mitchell 16, Young 4
C: Lively 22, Young 10, Flip 8

Roach 32
Whitehead 32
Flip 28
Proctor 25
Lively 22
Grandison 22
Mitchell 20
Young 14
Schutt 5

I'm going to have to see us use our depth (against quality competition) to believe it.

PG: Roach 32, Proctor 8
SG: Proctor 17, Grandison 18, Schutt 5
SF: Whitehead 32, Grandison 4, Mitchell 4
PF: Flip 20, Mitchell 16, Young 4
C: Lively 22, Young 10, Flip 8

Roach 32
Whitehead 32
Flip 28
Proctor 25
Lively 22
Grandison 22
Mitchell 20
Young 14
Schutt 5

I'm going to have to see us use our depth (against quality competition) to believe it.
I agree with this . Unless Blake’s just flips a switch or becomes a lock down defender I see him as odd man out.

Proctor reclassing was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Blakes minutes wise. If just Keels had come back, he would be the back up PG. Now he is #3.

Thought Pete Nance was definitely staying in the draft. Just saw on the ESPN ticker that he just announced that he was transferring to UNC. That’s bad news for us, as I thought that we had dodged the bullet of them replacing Manek when Mayer went to Illinois.

Do we still have one scholarship available, and if so, any chance AJ Green returns to college? If so, would he still be a take with Grandison on board?

If we brought on anyone else, someone would be getting totally screwed over. It's not happening even though I do think we may have one left (I have no idea if that John guy is getting a scholarship).

Reactions: sheyduke
AJ Green decided to stay in. Maybe he can be on the G League all star team with Steward. I haven't seen him on one mock draft. I would say our roster is set. Nance is a good get for them. He can score, and is yet another senior. They are probably as old as our 2010 team now. Or older.

AJ Green decided to stay in. Maybe he can be on the G League all star team with Steward. I haven't seen him on one mock draft. I would say our roster is set. Nance is a good get for them. He can score, and is yet another senior. They are probably as old as our 2010 team now. Or older.
They're AARP old. Could shell-shock our kiddie corps starting up front. Classic example of why we do need help up front from Young, possibly Catchings.

OFC

It's ironic that Young is our second oldest guy. or that when we go with our "Young line up," we're getting more experienced.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Starting lineup is likely to be 2 grad students, a senior, and 2 juniors (and the top player off the bench is also a junior.)

The thing I like about Nance that isn't getting much chatter is his passing. He averaged nearly 3 assists per game last year. That's gonna be useful for feeding Bacot, hitting cutters, and making the correct read on pick & rolls.

Trying to be objective, the Cheats probably should be pre-season number 1. It is a very experienced team. I just plan on enjoying watching this Duke team and hoping that they gel enough to make a good run in March. Summer is upon us so not much to talk about. Duke does have a couple of offers out to 23 big men but it looks like it will be a while before they visit.

Oh lord here we go with the UNC talk again.
I’m not worried they have to gel as well. Duke just needs to take it a game at a time . Develop a rotation early, play physical.

I’m not worried they have to gel as well. Duke just needs to take it a game at a time . Develop a rotation early, play physical.
I think it's only natural we talk about the Cheats. They don't live rent-free in my head, I just naturally detest them as a most passionate Duke fan. You add to it the admitted 18 years of fake classes designed for athletes, at least two bogus nattys, plus all the media Fandom, and it's a natural fit.

Also we do seek revenge for the narrow FF loss,and their obscene chant at Coach K at the nosedome and I want to whip their a$$. Also they are the perceived #1, so all of these factors make it a talking point.
#GTHCGTH

OFC

Shey on the other hand, the Cheats do need to develop to life without Redneck, (oops Manek), as you noted. As former Duke coaching legend Vic Bubas once told a rookie Coach K:"Don't worry about the other program down the road."

Good advice.I just don't want our freshmen front court to be shell-shocked when they take the floor against a VERY OLD UNC Frontline. OFC

Shey on the other hand, the Cheats do need to develop to life without Redneck, (oops Manek), as you noted. As former Duke coaching legend Vic Bubas once told a rookie Coach K:"Don't worry about the other program down the road."

Good advice.I just don't want our freshmen front court to be shell-shocked when they take the floor against a VERY OLD UNC Frontline. OFC
Hart, what happened to the Braves thread? It’s not appearing on my list anymore

Shey, I am totally with you. I hate UNCheat like everyong else here. And I really enjoy it when they f*ck up, get caught cheating, choke, get beat, etc., all of which deserve mention here. Posts before, during, and after a game with the Cheats are always relevant. BUT continually reporting every little bit of news about the Cheat program and continually analyzing their players belongs on their website, not here. We don't do it for the second most hated program, Kentucky, which is the way it should be. OFC

Would probably be a good idea to have a separate thread for other teams. I like to discuss what other teams are doing, but I get why people wouldn't. This time of year teams are getting better/worse due to the additions and subtractions. Personally, I don't care for the NBA so it's good we have a separate thread for that.

Last edited:
I really like the video of Ryan Young. I watched parts of his blowout loss at Iowa and close home win against depleted Indiana. He plays as hard as he can. He's big. A legitimate 6'9" 240. He's very coordinated. Both parents were college athletes.

The downside is that he is slow. If he had speed, he would play professionally instead of transferring. He gets back on defense as fast as he can. He leans on his opponent without fouling. Young takes some bad angles on defense leading to layups.

Young has good touch. He only shoots 69% on FTs. Looks like he should be 75%. He gets fouled at a good rate. Looks like a hard worker who can give Duke a solid 14 minutes every night

Ryan Young put up 18 and 10 on Michigan State when Nance was injured. And they won. We waited years for Bolden and DeLaurier to do that. I know DeLaurier had 10 and 10 against them but never really did that again

Last edited:
I would have no problem with 20 and 20 for those two as far as minutes. We really don't have another physical big man like that. Young will prob. get 14 to 16 minutes. Flip is good but looked a bit thin in the all star game I saw. And Lively is really thin.

Last edited:
Would probably be a good idea to have a separate thread for other teams. I like to discuss what other teams are doing, but I get why people wouldn't. This time of year teams are getting better/worse due to the additions and subtractions. Personally, I don't care for the NBA so it's good we have a separate thread for that.
I have no problem with a separate Cheats, or "Other Teams" thread. Not at all...

OFC

What are they doing ? It’s summer . Nance was a good pick up for them but that same subject will be brought back up in September and October when practice starts. Last month it was how every one was coming back, then how no one wanted them to land Meyer who I never saw where he was interested in UNC.
not worried about them and there aren’t any teams anyone has been talking about but UNC and UK. No other school.
im not worried about them we don’t meet until twenty games into the season. I’m worried about those twenty prior to playing UNC .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT