ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Time

This will happen when kids in 2024 are not getting playing time or not playing the role they want to play.
And schools will be reaching out to handlers and family members . Pretty much to sum it all up if you except a scholarship to Duke and don’t get much playing time your pretty much auditioning for other schools especially when Duke is on tv so much . Atleast that’s what I got from Scheyer’s comments .

And schools will be reaching out to handlers and family members . Pretty much to sum it all up if you except a scholarship to Duke and don’t get much playing time your pretty much auditioning for other schools especially when Duke is on tv so much . Atleast that’s what I got from Scheyer’s comments .
That's the real conversation. Duke plays every game on ACC Network/CW, ESPN, ESPN2, CBS and the NCAA Tournament.

Jon has handled this well. Sounds like lots of behind the scenes stuff. If guys were saying hey I can go to this school Jon probably just said "the portal works both ways. See ya."
And there it is. Jon wasn’t necessarily complaining or whining about it. He was stating a fact.

Reactions: christophero
30 minutes a game is major for any frosh . This team is loaded . If Scheyer thinks seven were tampered with what do we think will happen this season the more players ride the pine . I read the interview and to me it sounded like he already knew players had checked out and looking elsewhere.
30mpg is major minutes, but not like it's abnormal at Duke for their star freshman. It should shock no one if he gets in that 33-35mpg range. Talent like his doesn't come around often.

30 minutes a game is major for any frosh . This team is loaded . If Scheyer thinks seven were tampered with what do we think will happen this season the more players ride the pine . I read the interview and to me it sounded like he already knew players had checked out and looking elsewhere.
I truly think Jon knew the mass exodus was coming. He responded swiftly,and beautifully!! OFC

Time will tell; but Jon seems to have responded very well. All 3 transfers (the other one is a practice player) seem ready to contribute at a high level. Brown and Gillis already have, and Sion looks the best of the 3 so far, at least in summer scrimmages. It will be interesting to see how we do, and if having 3 upperclassman transfers (who are all team players) gets us over the hump. Cooper may have scared some guys off; we all know he will get huge minutes at the 3/4. Guys want to play. And now they want to get paid. Banchero coming in drove away Coleman and Brakefield. Seems most highly rated guys will only be willing to be a back up for one year. This team should be a 1 or two seed.
As for who Jon would have liked to keep; I'm guessing guys like Stewart and Schutt. Roach and Mitchell seemed ready to move on, and Reeves was not going to play. Maybe Power, but he always seemed the obvious choice for a transfer. Blakes is a great team guy but very limited and deserves to play somewhere. .

Last edited:
I wonder if there were any he would've kept?
If you read the article you see where Jon stated there were guys the staff looked at and by time they hit the portal they already had visits already lined up and were committing . I don’t think Jon planned on the mass exodus but what do you really tell a kid who already has one foot out the door. I am intrigued to see the stats at seasons end next year for the seven transfers.

If Mitchell blows up for 20 and 10 and becomes a good shooter that will be annoying, but other than that the other guys seem replaceable. I doubt Reeves, Power and Schutt will set the world on fire, but they could be solid. I like Roach but he was a high volume shooter guy, and a team can only have so many. Stewart is the other guy I really wanted back, but it seems he wanted out. If Stewart is noticeably better than Brown that will be tough to watch, but I doubt that happens next year. If Kon is as good as the summer buzz says that will be huge for spacing. Only caveat is our summer defense tend not to be good; I remember Baker playing great a few summers.

Last edited:
If Mitchell blows up for 20 and 10 and becomes a good shooter that will be annoying, but other than that the other guys seem replaceable. I doubt Reeves, Power and Schutt will set the world on fire, but they could be solid. I like Roach but he was a high volume shooter guy, and a team can only have so many. Stewart is the other guy I really wanted back, but it seems he wanted out. If Stewart is noticeably better than Brown that will be tough to watch, but I doubt that happens next year. If Kon is as good as the summer buzz says that will be huge for spacing. Only caveat is our summer defense tend not to be good; I remember Baker playing great a few summers.
Kon seems like this seasons Powers. Everyone was raving about him and Stewart during the summers sessions and even Jon bragged about both during the season but neither panned out or chose to stay at Duke . I’m sure people will say there is a difference Kon is a slasher or can attack the basket but I want to see him get more then three to mop up minutes .

Kon seems like this seasons Powers. Everyone was raving about him and Stewart during the summers sessions and even Jon bragged about both during the season but neither panned out or chose to stay at Duke . I’m sure people will say there is a difference Kon is a slasher or can attack the basket but I want to see him get more then three to mop up minutes .
I think that’s a fair take. I will counter with the fact that no one thought Power or Stewart had OAD potential. Now I don’t foresee Kon as a OAD but some publications have said that.

I wish the best for all 7 and they should help their teams in some way. I can't see Mitchell becoming a good shooter in 6 months

Reactions: sheyduke
I think that’s a fair take. I will counter with the fact that no one thought Power or Stewart had OAD potential. Now I don’t foresee Kon as a OAD but some publications have said that.
If he is Duke had a top season . Right now our backcourt is ranked 10th in the country preseason .

Kon has all the skills. If he is OAD material he needs to do it against Kansas and Kentucky and UNC. He is good, we just dont know how good. Mal is the guy I am not sure of, he may play out like Mark Williams, which is still good. He has a long way to go, but we've seen Lively do that. But Lively had elite explosiveness, I don't think I've ever seen anyone improve so fast

Last edited:
And he will be better in minutes 31-33 for having played those minutes much of the season, not for getting 3 more minutes rest twice per week.
I think people look at it like a battery. They think if he’s on the bench for a certain amount of time collectively he recharges. In spirit yes. But it’s a game to game thing, meaning just because he sat for 14 min one game he will be that much more charged up for the next. Not really how it works. It’s why the min thread each year bugs me. One game we may only need him for 18-22min. The next we may need him for 40. It is what it is. Also we want him to be sharp. Sitting for long periods doesn’t help. We are only getting him for one year. I’m not advocating for him playing 40 every night, that’s insane. But I’d be surprised if he wasn’t out there for 33+ in every single big game we have, outside of foul trouble.

I get both sides. But Cooper is skinny so he could get worn down. I remember Singler shooting airballs late in the season his freshman year because he was so tired, although he had to battle in the post more than expected. You also run the risk of injury the more you are out there. It's a long season. If it's UNC and we are tied he will play big minutes. But he doesn't need to be out there with 4 minutes to go and up 15 against BC.

I get both sides. But Cooper is skinny so he could get worn down. I remember Singler shooting airballs late in the season his freshman year because he was so tired, although he had to battle in the post more than expected. You also run the risk of injury the more you are out there. It's a long season.
Singler, poor guy. Like you said he had to play the 5. Luckily for us and Coop, he will not ever have to play that position unless it’s purely end of game situations where we are up/spacing etc. I’m not worried about him getting worn down either, generally speaking. Every freshman hits a wall, but that’s more mental than physical for guys of his caliber.

Exactly… a games a breeze compared to practice people don’t seem to get that
Not when it comes to playing time and people say minutes are earned in practice ( sorry couldn’t help it ).
Every season mid way through we see reports where player A is progressing and have great practices to where they can really help ( see Jon’s comments on both Stewart and Powers last year and Blake’s the season before )yet it never translates into games .

Yes. Stewart's minutes increased. then decreased at season's end. Something happened.

Nine guys will play good minutes in blowouts, seven in tight games. Flagg will play 35 or more against really good teams.

This isn’t rocket science.

I'm bored so I watched Duke at UNC in 1999. We won 80-61. Without Shane Battier, who had an ankle injury. The stat that surprised me is Duke had not won at Chapel Hill since 91. Maggette had 11 rebounds and Avery had 20 plus points. Dickie V said the only one who could beat Duke was Duke. We did not lose an ACC game that year. I barely saw Burgess, no wonder he transferred. Dickie V was raving about us bringing in Casey Sanders the next year; he was a big recruit.

Last edited:
I'm bored so I watched Duke at UNC in 1999. We won 80-61. Without Shane Battier, who had an ankle injury. The stat that surprised me is Duke had not won at Chapel Hill since 91. Maggette had 11 rebounds and Avery had 20 plus points. Dickie V said the only one who could beat Duke was Duke. We did not lose an ACC game that year. I barely saw Burgess, no wonder he transferred. Dickie V was raving about us bringing in Casey Sanders the next year; he was a big recruit.
Duke had solid recruits from 98 to 2004. Sadly, if they got in Coach K's doghouse it was a done deal for them.

Burgess was a big recruit. At one point, maybe his junior year, he was rated above Brand and Battier, at least in the magazine I had.

Reactions: jamsession2
In 99 Maggette got t'd up for doing a chin up after a dunk in Chapel Hill.
Coach K was trying to look mad but we were up 20. I think he secretly enjoyed it. We were rolling. It was one of those fu dunks.

Last edited:
Reactions: GLStarrBrand
In 99 Maggette got t'd up for doing a chin up after a dunk in Chapel Hill.
Coach K was trying to look mad but we were up 20. I think he secretly enjoyed it. We were rolling. It was one of those fu dunks.
I remember him doing it at home against Florida, but don’t remember the one at unc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT