ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino

It's your full time job and you are paid millions. I didn't know what was going on is not an acceptable excuse.

Roy Williams is currently using the s*** out of that excuse. I think it is now part of the basketball department letterhead.

I definitely think this is a wait for all the facts to come out type of thing but it clearly isn't looking good for Pitino. Personally I find it hard to believe something like this can happen without the coach knowing. In my experiences typically things have a way of making there way back to coaches and usually they know.

To answer your question about respect. There is far more respect between Duke/Unc than Uk/UL. University of Lousiville has won 3 national championships and be to a ton of Final Four's. Yet they get zero respect from Uk fans. Ul might as well be Eastern Ky in their eyes. But they have no respect for K, Duke, UNC, coach Wooden, Knight or any of the greats. Beginning to see a pattern forming here. lol
Gotta call bull$hit on this post .

Pitino is a little slimy and could be in the Mafia but I don't dislike him, however..................he has to resign over this.

Gotta call bull$hit on this post .

Agree. as a UK fan we have respect for all the blue blood programs. It's not like we pull for them. We have plenty of rivalry hate for them but not real life stuff. I think K is great even though I pull against him. I do think he gets away with things Cal would never get away with. But no, we have no respect ul or their 18 fans. How could we? If you visit their message board once you would know why.

Agree. as a UK fan we have respect for all the blue blood programs. It's not like we pull for them. We have plenty of rivalry hate for them but not real life stuff. I think K is great even though I pull against him. I do think he gets away with things Cal would never get away with. But no, we have no respect ul or their 18 fans. How could we? If you visit their message board once you would know why.

Yeah right. Who is we? Are you speaking for UK nation when you say we or just yourself. I think Cal gets away with things that Coach K or any other coach can't get away with.You use the word respect then in the next sentence you use the word hate. It seems as though as UK nation really has it in for Pitino. Would you depise Cal the way you despise Pitino if he left UK for another blue blood program. I've been around a while and remember very well how UK nation felt about Cal while he was a Memphis and not your coach then when he got the UK job he was the man for the job. UK nation as a whole is full of crap. The only time I will pull for UK is when they are playing UNC and that's not saying a lot. OFC

Uk's fans respect K and Duke. Give me a friggin break.. All they do is complain about how K get's special treatment from the NCAA. Come on now..

Uk's fans respect K and Duke. Give me a friggin break.. All they do is complain about how K get's special treatment from the NCAA. Come on now..
HAHAHAHAHA that's all huh??

p.s. Pitino is the best thing that EVER happened to UK and it's pretty silly the way "your" fans treat him.

I think K is a great coach; however, I do think he gets preferential treatment from the NCAA and the officials. Anybody got the name of a good jewelry store?

So since the NCAA found no wrongdoing by K nor the Duke program in the jewelry store case it had to be due to preferential treatment, right? No other explanation.

As a Duke fan, I take an extreme amount of pride in the fact that nonsense like what is posted above are really the only things that haters can possible muster. They can only reference what they really, really wished had happened, as opposed to attacking Duke and K's integrity by referencing things that actually happened.

If someone wanted to attack Cal, for example, there are some very real things you could point to and discuss that reflect negatively on him personally and the programs he has run (as in NCAA-infraction level stuff). For K, it is only support-free assumptions and people grasping at straws. Duke fans should really be proud of that fact.

Reactions: LetsGoDukies
Amazing that legendary Big East coaches from 80's have faced serious issues as their careers wound down:

John Thompson - extramarital affair & issues with school admin/boosters
Rollie Massimino - fired for massive ego
Jim Boeheim - major academic sanctions
Jim Calhoun - major academic sanctions
Rick Pitino - restaurant lawsuit & current scandal

The same can be said about Calipari with Rose and Camby, but it doesn't prevent you guys from blasting him.
So since the NCAA found no wrongdoing by K nor the Duke program in the jewelry store case it had to be due to preferential treatment, right? No other explanation.

As a Duke fan, I take an extreme amount of pride in the fact that nonsense like what is posted above are really the only things that haters can possible muster. They can only reference what they really, really wished had happened, as opposed to attacking Duke and K's integrity by referencing things that actually happened.

If someone wanted to attack Cal, for example, there are some very real things you could point to and discuss that reflect negatively on him personally and the programs he has run (as in NCAA-infraction level stuff). For K, it is only support-free assumptions and people grasping at straws. Duke fans should really be proud of that fact.

Are you saying Lance Thomas didn't procure tens of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry? Remember, OJ was acquitted too.

And tell me where Calipari was implicated in the wrong doing...Hell, the NCAA cleared Rose TWICE.

Using Doyel in any way as a reference completely and totally proves my point, and shows your level of awareness. He is about as credible to talk about K as you are, the only difference being he has a larger platform. You are a more locally-contained idiot.

There it is!! The deflection of "If he doesn't say something nice about my coach/program then he is an idiot unworthy of recognizing". lol. Apparently your reading comprehension isn't great, because he isn't so much as talking about K as he is the discrepancies in dealing with like situations or circumstances. But I am sure you are well versed in all things Duke so you are qualified to cast aspersions on anyone who might disagree, but your childish trait of name calling is more than a little trite. I'll say it again..."Hurts don't it"?

There it is!! The deflection of "If he doesn't say something nice about my coach/program then he is an idiot unworthy of recognizing". lol. Apparently your reading comprehension isn't great, because he isn't so much as talking about K as he is the discrepancies in dealing with like situations or circumstances. But I am sure you are well versed in all things Duke so you are qualified to cast aspersions on anyone who might disagree, but your childish trait of name calling is more than a little trite. I'll say it again..."Hurts don't it"?
That's not why I called you an idiot I called you an idiot because everything you've said on here isn't based in fact but on a narrative that's not even close to fact

And does what hurt? Knowing that their are people in society like you? That scares me more than anything

HAHAHAHAHA that's all huh??

p.s. Pitino is the best thing that EVER happened to UK and it's pretty silly the way "your" fans treat him.
are you serious??? Pitino?

I agree that he came in and done a great job but to say he's the best thing that ever happened to UK is ridiculous.

Ever heard of Rupp? Calipari has done better than Pitino. I'm not going to knock what Pitino meant to UK but to say the best ever is crazy.

As far as why UK fans hate Pitino, just my opinion, it wasn't because he left it was because when he came back to college he went to our hated Lil Brothel. Most of your fans and UNC fans think that y'all have the most hated rival. I'd say y'all have the biggest rivalry nationally by people other than your fanbases. And I'd agree because both of your teams are traditionally rich. But Duke vs UNC doesn't come close to the hatred we (UK vs Loserville) have.

I can only speak for myself about why I HATE Pitino. And these are my problems with him.

I never had a problem when he left UK, don't get me wrong, I didn't want him to leave but I understood in many ways. Here's where I understood and why he left. A little back story on Ricky. Rick lost a young son in which was buried North East where he came from. So when he took the Celtics job I could completely understand going back to his roots and closer to his sons gravesite. And being I'm a lifelong Celtics fan and understanding his situation I NEVER and repeat NEVER held it against Pitino. Let alone HATE him. I completely understood and supported him. Hell, if he's not leading my Wildcats atleast he's leading my Celtics.

Here's my problem with Slick Rick.

He could have took any job but he took the Loserville job. It would be like K leaving Duke to coach UNC. Or Smith leaving UNC to coach Duke. But this is petty compared to why I REALLY HATE HIM.

Are you or anyone else here a parent? I am, I have three children and they are my life. Period!!! It's my responsibility to die for them if need be. And I would do it in a second.

The same reason I understood and respected his decession to take the Celtics job is the same reason I think he's a low life scumbag. Because one reason was to be closer to his deceased young child. I completely understand and support that. I sure couldn't understand what he dealt with being so far away from him.

Here's where my feelings changed for my opinion on Rick.

Every person could make a stupid mistake and regret it. We're all human. It's not that he had a affair on his wife with Sypher on a table at Porkchinis. But what he done afterwards.

He got Sypher pregnant. Talked his good friend and assistant to start dating her and talking her into a abortion. Pays for the abortion and sends his friend with his mistress (and now his friends new girlfriend) to kill his child. Yes a multimillionaire egotistical bastard that lost a child at such a young age is more than willing to kill his child to keep the affair quiet. He didn't only pay for it, he talked his friend into dating her to make sure the deed was done.

Excuse me when people like you want to tell me what a hypocrit I am because of what he done for UK and I'm just butt hurt. I'm not butthurt. He's just a POS scumbag.

You take a person that makes over 5 million a year in his salary and probably has a 100 million in the bank. He lost a child and it was tragic. But kills a child to save face. Hypocrit????

And now all the whores, stripping, underage sex, recruits and parents having sex. In the dorm Ricky built in his brother in laws name that he lost in the 9-11 attacks. Which was strictly built for players and players only with cameras throughout with sign in and sign out sheets. In Pitinos words, to keep a eye on his players.

4 years later and he's saying he doesn't know anything. LMMFAO. He's a scumbag!!! It has nothing to do with UK.

Just my opinion. What's yours?

The same can be said about Calipari with Rose and Camby, but it doesn't prevent you guys from blasting him.

Well I can agree with you that the NCAA is corrupt and inconsistent in their punishments and they do play favorites. I myself don't recall ever blasting Calipari but I know others have. I don't know all of the details but if Calipari or someone in the men's basketball program played a role in someone else taking the SAT for Rose then the punishment is deserved. If they didn't play a role then I don't think they should have been held accountable but I'm not the judge and again the mighty NCAA is as corrupt as they come. I personally don't think that Coach K nor Duke men's basketball are guilty of anything that would warrant vacating wins/championships.

Reactions: RipThru
That's not why I called you an idiot I called you an idiot because everything you've said on here isn't based in fact but on a narrative that's not even close to fact

And does what hurt? Knowing that their are people in society like you? That scares me more than anything

Narrative not based in fact? Did Corey Maggettee take money? Yes. Did Marcus Camby take money? Yes. Did K/Duke get punished? No. Did Umass get punished? Yes. Did Lance Thomas obtain nearly $100,000 worth of jewelry? Yes. Was anyone punished? No, partly because Thomas and the jeweler wouldn't talk. Did someone take Rose's test? Noone knows for SURE, but he wouldn't talk and they punished Memphis. Those are the facts, and you are too blind or too stupid to understand or admit them. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Nothing "hurts." Haters always have the same go-to's, people have been trying it for years. Not a big deal ultimately, because you don't seem to be fully aware of what you are discussing (and posting links doesn't make you more aware). Is your ultimate argument that it is proven that K is "crooked"? Because you aren't showing me anything that proves that point, and that is not at all because I am a Duke fan and looking at it through that context (which, obviously, the same is true of you in the other direction).

I hate to even address this because it is so tired and nothing new will magically come to light, but if your motive is to cast aspersions on K, it is a swing and a miss. What does Maggette accepting money from an AAU coach when he was 16 and not affiliated with Duke in any way have to do with K? What does the fact that Thomas spent too much money on jewelry, was slow paying it back, was sued, and then paid it back have to do with K?

And don't you dare, for even a second, entertain the notion that I am naive and that is influencing my opinion, because you posted in this very thread that Cal has never been linked or found personally responsible for any wrongdoing. I'm not saying Cal is or isn't culpable, but you can't genuinely harbor that opinion and call someone else naive or blind. I suppose you still could, but I don't think you need me to tell you how stupid that would make you look.

I don't know if you understand the definition of truth or proof. You want badly for these things to be true, and that is fine, but it doesn't make them true. As angry as you are, you have to understand that.

Reactions: pisgah101
You too miss the point. I never said K was "crooked" I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the NCAA when it comes to doling out punishments. The Maggette and Camby cases have a lot of similarities, yet one was forced to vacate wins and appearances while the other was not. Both players were, or should have been declared ineligible. As far as Thomas goes, you can turn a blind eye to that if you want, but if that happened in Lexington you guys would have a field day with that. And I am not angry at all. lol. I have a lot of respect for K's X's and O's, but the lack of accountability in similar circumstances is an indication that I have a salient point, which was that K/Duke aren't held to the same standards as others.

And sometimes, the truth "hurts".

Again, what is this "truth" you speak of? It is hard for something to "hurt" if it does not exist. But you can keep going to that line if it makes you feel smug and vindicated. My personal preference is to actually say something when I say something.

Reactions: pisgah101
I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the NCAA when it comes to doling out punishments.
I agree 100%. Once again, they are a corrupt organization and they do play favorites.

The Maggette and Camby cases have a lot of similarities, yet one was forced to vacate wins and appearances while the other was not. Both players were, or should have been declared ineligible.
I disagree that they both should have been declared ineligible. If K nor Duke played a role in the AAU coach giving Maggette money then they shouldn't be held accountable. And likewise, if Cal nor UMass played a role in Camby receiving money then they shouldn't be held accountable either. If both cases were indeed the same situation then neither player should have been declared ineligible.

As far as Thomas goes, you can turn a blind eye to that if you want, but if that happened in Lexington you guys would have a field day with that. And I am not angry at all. lol. I have a lot of respect for K's X's and O's, but the lack of accountability in similar circumstances is an indication that I have a salient point, which was that K/Duke aren't held to the same standards as others.
If K or Duke played a role in Thomas having that money to spend then they should have been penalized. That was never proven so no penalties. If it did happen in Lexington, I probably would suspect Cal was involved you're right lol.. But I wouldn't support penalties unless there were facts proving it.

Regardless I have absolutely no confidence in the NCAA to dole out fair punishments across the board and that's probably not going to change.

I appreciate your civil approach to the conversation LGD, because it's not my intent to degrade anyone or anybody here. In the Camby situation, UMass was ruled to have used an ineligible player because he accepted cash, but the NCAA said there was no way Cal could have known about it. Very similar to the Maggette situation, because again the NCAA said K couldn't have known about it, but one school vacated wins and a runner up finish while the other did not.

Reactions: LetsGoDukies
Again, what is this "truth" you speak of? It is hard for something to "hurt" if it does not exist. But you can keep going to that line if it makes you feel smug and vindicated. My personal preference is to actually say something when I say something.

Like this? :)

If the general premise is that the NCAA is inconsistent, then I have no argument there. I think that will be illustrated by looking at the hammer dropped on Syracuse last year vs. what little I anticipate UNC getting for a significantly worse and more wide-spread infraction.

I think the Maggette vs. Camby is not a particularly good comparison. There is an incredibly important and key distinction between the two: Maggette's infraction occurred when he was in high school, involved a coach not involved in the NCAA, and years (plural) before he was affiliated with any NCAA institution in any way. Camby's infractions occurred while he was in school, during the season that ultimately was vacated, and involved people affiliated (albeit loosely - boosters, etc.) with the university. That is a very large and important difference.

Reactions: RipThru
So, for my own admittedly limted mental capacity, you can take money in high school and it doesn't affect your college eligibility? And why did other who accepted cash from Piggie get punished?

Last edited:
I appreciate your civil approach to the conversation LGD, because it's not my intent to degrade anyone or anybody here. In the Camby situation, UMass was ruled to have used an ineligible player because he accepted cash, but the NCAA said there was no way Cal could have known about it. Very similar to the Maggette situation, because again the NCAA said K couldn't have known about it, but one school vacated wins and a runner up finish while the other did not.
If they were the same situation then I don't think UMass should have been punished. How do you feel RipThru? Do you think Duke and UMass should have been punished or neither should have?

are you serious??? Pitino?

I agree that he came in and done a great job but to say he's the best thing that ever happened to UK is ridiculous.

Ever heard of Rupp? Calipari has done better than Pitino. I'm not going to knock what Pitino meant to UK but to say the best ever is crazy.

As far as why UK fans hate Pitino, just my opinion, it wasn't because he left it was because when he came back to college he went to our hated Lil Brothel. Most of your fans and UNC fans think that y'all have the most hated rival. I'd say y'all have the biggest rivalry nationally by people other than your fanbases. And I'd agree because both of your teams are traditionally rich. But Duke vs UNC doesn't come close to the hatred we (UK vs Loserville) have.

I can only speak for myself about why I HATE Pitino. And these are my problems with him.

I never had a problem when he left UK, don't get me wrong, I didn't want him to leave but I understood in many ways. Here's where I understood and why he left. A little back story on Ricky. Rick lost a young son in which was buried North East where he came from. So when he took the Celtics job I could completely understand going back to his roots and closer to his sons gravesite. And being I'm a lifelong Celtics fan and understanding his situation I NEVER and repeat NEVER held it against Pitino. Let alone HATE him. I completely understood and supported him. Hell, if he's not leading my Wildcats atleast he's leading my Celtics.

Here's my problem with Slick Rick.

He could have took any job but he took the Loserville job. It would be like K leaving Duke to coach UNC. Or Smith leaving UNC to coach Duke. But this is petty compared to why I REALLY HATE HIM.

Are you or anyone else here a parent? I am, I have three children and they are my life. Period!!! It's my responsibility to die for them if need be. And I would do it in a second.

The same reason I understood and respected his decession to take the Celtics job is the same reason I think he's a low life scumbag. Because one reason was to be closer to his deceased young child. I completely understand and support that. I sure couldn't understand what he dealt with being so far away from him.

Here's where my feelings changed for my opinion on Rick.

Every person could make a stupid mistake and regret it. We're all human. It's not that he had a affair on his wife with Sypher on a table at Porkchinis. But what he done afterwards.

He got Sypher pregnant. Talked his good friend and assistant to start dating her and talking her into a abortion. Pays for the abortion and sends his friend with his mistress (and now his friends new girlfriend) to kill his child. Yes a multimillionaire egotistical bastard that lost a child at such a young age is more than willing to kill his child to keep the affair quiet. He didn't only pay for it, he talked his friend into dating her to make sure the deed was done.

Excuse me when people like you want to tell me what a hypocrit I am because of what he done for UK and I'm just butt hurt. I'm not butthurt. He's just a POS scumbag.

You take a person that makes over 5 million a year in his salary and probably has a 100 million in the bank. He lost a child and it was tragic. But kills a child to save face. Hypocrit????

And now all the whores, stripping, underage sex, recruits and parents having sex. In the dorm Ricky built in his brother in laws name that he lost in the 9-11 attacks. Which was strictly built for players and players only with cameras throughout with sign in and sign out sheets. In Pitinos words, to keep a eye on his players.

4 years later and he's saying he doesn't know anything. LMMFAO. He's a scumbag!!! It has nothing to do with UK.

Just my opinion. What's yours?
Point taken. And yeah I know who Rupp is but UK was at an extremely dark place when pitino came he saved y'all from the complete brink of destruction. It takes a VERY special person to do that. No matter how you feel about his personal life, on the professional level he did something for y'all not many coulda done. He put you back on top and set you on the path you're on today. Sure you may think Cal did the same thing after the drunk you had but truth is you were still UK when he came but without pitino it's possible he woulda had nothing to come to

I'm with you...punish both or neither, but be consistent. To answer your question, I think you'd have to punish both wouldn't you?
If they were the same situation then I don't think UMass should have been punished. How do you feel RipThru? Do you think Duke and UMass should have been punished or neither should have?

So, for my own admittedly limted mental capacity, you can take money in high school and it doesn't affect your college eligibility? And why did other who accepted cash from Piggie get punished?

It absolutely does. Maggette went pro after one year at Duke, but had he of stayed in school he would have been suspended. But I don't think the NCAA has the ability to make him sit out of NBA games. There were other collegiate players who were on the same AAU team and received the same benefits, and when they returned to college the next year they were suspended.

No, but does the NCAA have the ppower to retroactively declare a student athlete ineligible, and hterefore vacate wins and tournament appearances?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT