ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide

DukeRulesBasketball

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2015
Aaron Hernandez killed himself in prison after being sentenced to life in prison for murder!

Reactions: Dukesince90
Frankly, I'll break from the norm. I'm not in the camp that is "happy" to see someone pass. He obviously, wasn't a great person, but I hate that he created this situation for himself. He was a talented athlete and his life could have been much different if he made a few better choices. Condolences to his family and those that truly cared about him. I hope those who observed him can learn from his mistakes.

I haven't read the articles today, just saw it on the TV news, but how did he get access to something to hang himself with? That's really against protocol to allow someone like him to have anything he can use.

I haven't read the articles today, just saw it on the TV news, but how did he get access to something to hang himself with? That's really against protocol to allow someone like him to have anything he can use.

Bed sheet.

Hernandez was pure slime. I followed his trial pretty closely....scary how evil some humans can be.

He had the world at his hands and he threw it all away. A young multimillionaire that could have done anything he wanted with his life and yet still decided to walk the path he took. Hopefully his story will be used as a cautionary tale for new players entering the league.

Money don't mean anything to some. Some people would rather play gangster. There are a lot of athletes like this but he was just stupid.

Tragic. It didn't have to be this way. I wish he would have given his life to God. Awful situation in every way. Worst of all is there is a young daughter who will never know her father. He should of owned up and faced his crime.

Read this and you won't feel any sorrow for AH. Committing suicide showed he was not a real tough guy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/the-gangster-in-the-huddle

You definitely don't feel any sorrow for the man he became. He committed some heinous crimes and made tons of idiotic decisions, and he was paying the price for them, which he undoubtedly deserved. But at one point (according this article) he was a humble, promising young kid with a Dad who was doing all he could to keep him on the right path. Then he loses his Dad unexpectedly to a tragic accident and his life goes completely off the rails. Very sad to see that happen, and hard not to wonder how his life may have been different if his father hadn't passed when he was at such an impressionable age. Just one of the many examples of how kids need their parents.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Frankly, I'll break from the norm. I'm not in the camp that is "happy" to see someone pass. He obviously, wasn't a great person, but I hate that he created this situation for himself. He was a talented athlete and his life could have been much different if he made a few better choices. Condolences to his family and those that truly cared about him. I hope those who observed him can learn from his mistakes.
I'm in the same camp. He deserved to spend the rest of his life in prison, but I always hope that even lifers will have some redemption of their heart and soul. The finality of something like this... it's not like it brings his victim(s) back, or constitutes any completion of payback, or anything else. Cynically speaking, it means he avoids his sentence.

Reactions: bfort2223
Im with this. A man that was pulled out of a life that he lived and given every chance in the world to be successful in life and he still chose and I mean chose to live a "thug" life is an idiot and now tax payers do not have to take care of him.
(color change for highlighting purposes)
I get what you're saying, but I think it's also a testament to just how hard it is to fully overcome something and move on without any baggage, and how even those who do overcome and succeed, there are likely to be similar demons haunting them.

My hesitation in saying he chose this is that it easily slips into the attitude that lives are determined strictly by conscious choices made from equal footing: The poor chose to be poor; the criminal chose to be a criminal, etc. I get the role of choice, but some choices are almost instinctive, not really consciously chosen, and we're not all equally equipped to make good choices. If identifying this as his choice leads to dismissing it as his choice, it means we're unlikely to look at contributing factors that need to be addressed, lest it continue to happen again and again and again.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's also a testament to just how hard it is to fully overcome something and move on without any baggage, and how even those who do overcome and succeed, there are likely to be similar demons haunting them.

My hesitation in saying he chose this is that it easily slips into the attitude that lives are determined strictly by conscious choices made from equal footing: The poor chose to be poor; the criminal chose to be a criminal, etc. I get the role of choice, but some choices are almost instinctive, not really consciously chosen, and we're not all equally equipped to make good choices. If identifying this as his choice leads to dismissing it as his choice, it means we're unlikely to look at contributing factors that need to be addressed, lest it continue to happen again and again and again.
Very well put Dat.

I agree, to an extent. Some folks are just bad people, though, too. We can say they're victims of instincts, but then we just become enablers for them, as well.

Go back and read the testimony from his first trial. I read it in awe. If even half of that testimony is true, then Hernandez was simply a very bad person. And I mean, a very bad person.

Lastly, this is a sports forum. I'm not sure it's appropriate for this board. I'll keep it open for now, but I think this could delve quickly into something we don't need here.

Reactions: Dukesince90
Some people's unwillingness to leave behind their past is an enabler.

He wanted to be a gangster and choose that over simple honest money. More then the average person or average gangster will see. Two life's are gone and three are ruined for nothing more then a person who thought he was larger then life. Nothing hits harder in the end.

Lastly, this is a sports forum. I'm not sure it's appropriate for this board. I'll keep it open for now, but I think this could delve quickly into something we don't need here.
What a disgraced and incarcerated former athlete does makes for a pretty strong connection between sport and society, but I won't push.

We can move on from Aaron Hernandez specifically saying he is defined by his terrible choices and therefore is a terrible person. What I was saying was about how we do everything we can (which still isn't everything) to prevent the next person from going down that path.

Reactions: sheyduke
What a disgraced and incarcerated former athlete does makes for a pretty strong connection between sport and society, but I won't push.

We can move on from Aaron Hernandez specifically saying he is defined by his terrible choices and therefore is a terrible person. What I was saying was about how we do everything we can (which still isn't everything) to prevent the next person from going down that path.

That's not really what I was saying at all.

Hrmm, he had Casey Anthony's lawyer and just beat a double murder. Also, had an appeal coming on the Odin Lloyd case with Anthony's lawyer. Couple that with the fact people who knew him on NE's roster say no way he took his own life, he was murdered. Karma.

Hrmm, he had Casey Anthony's lawyer and just beat a double murder. Also, had an appeal coming on the Odin Lloyd case with Anthony's lawyer. Couple that with the fact people who knew him on NE's roster say no way he took his own life, he was murdered. Karma.
Very possible.

The whole situation is sad. Lot's of victims here including his child. All because of wrong choices made years ago and continuing those wrong choices. Makes me grateful and thankful for my life as it is. OFC

I just read that due to a Massachusetts state law that since his conviction was under appeal when he committed suicide, his conviction will be thrown out basically saying that the records will show that he will be considered innocent of the crime that he was convicted of

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT