ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Wake

I recall a lot of games where K would call a time out or Duke would come out of half time and not respond . K had 42 years to coach Scheyer is only 13 games in . I remember the Iron Dukes calling for K to be fired very early in his career at Duke and I think even then it wasn’t 13 games in with a 10-3 record .
He could have a record like Louisville or Florida St. both with loosing records one coached by a hall of Fame coach and the other by an Alumni, NBA player assistant at Kentucky now the head coach .
I for one do not blame Jon , I think the players need to play with heart and toughness.
Yeah, we have some nostalgia going on with K's name being referenced. I don't recall it being as rosy as some seem to make it. K had plenty of difficult times, and more than we all wanted to see his last several seasons. We seem to talk about how great the 18 and 19 teams were. The 18 team, which was probably the most talented team since 01, couldn't play man, didn't win the acc, and lost 8 games. The Zion team should have lost in the 1st weekend had Dawkins son hit that layup. This is with generational talent being led by arguably the greatest to ever coach, not a 35 year old rookie.

In no way am I saying Jon is or isn't the man for the job. We can only hope he learns. But, with the eye test, this team is nowhere near as good as those teams.

The thing that bothered me is we never really made a serious run. Unless you consider getting within 6 to a mediocre Wake team. It seems like every time we get healthy someone else goes down. We should be able to beat FSU at home.

Last edited:
Several on the other board are noticing that the refs are getting over on Jon. He might want to get on them a bit. I think certain refs were a little afraid of K. My dad said he would yell at the refs sometimes just so his team could see he was fighting for them. That could come with experience.

Last edited:
Several on the other board are noticing that the refs are getting over on Jon. He might want to get on them a bit. I think certain refs were a little afraid of K. My dad said he would yell at the refs sometimes just so his team could see he was fighting for them. That could come with experience.
I’m glad I have two questions for those refs Tuesday night !
1. How was that not a flop technical on the wake player trying to draw a flagrant on Grandison selling he got elbowed? Grandison grazed his chest barely and Dude acted like he took a hit from Tyson .

2. I get that some times Flip does travel . But the time they called it on him and Young, watch in slow mo . They never lift their pivot and those are starting to be calls Jon really needs to argue . Half the travel calls on Young around the basket this season have been head scratchers .

Regarding Scheyer motivating the team, we know that he was "highly motivated" as a player. If you don't believe that, find the Youtube tape of him scoring 21 points in 75 seconds in high school. He may take some time figuring out how to motivate college players and even more so, this particularly team.

Coach K was a master motivator. I attended a game in Philadelphia against Temple about 10 years ago. Duke was winning by about 10 but playing disinterested ball. K called time out and slammed the chair he was sitting in down twice, so loud that the Wells fargo Center echoed the sound. I saw 5 sets of eye balls get really big and round!

Scheyer will figure out his own technique.
I was disappointed we didn't come out of the locker room breathing fire in the 2nd half. Lift as you mentioned it will take Jon time him to figure out his own technique. Does Scheyer have the necessary intangibles of motivation to get the team's attention?

We've lost all three games we've trailed at halftime. On the surface this does not bode well. However, maybe Jon does some soul searching, and says I am part of the problem. I have to give these kids some tough love, and get on 'em more. I am counting on Jon to get meaner when the situation calls for it, and light a fire under the guys.

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Jon is going to have to get tougher on officials. OFC

Yeah, we have some nostalgia going on with K's name being referenced. I don't recall it being as rosy as some seem to make it. K had plenty of difficult times, and more than we all wanted to see his last several seasons. We seem to talk about how great the 18 and 19 teams were. The 18 team, which was probably the most talented team since 01, couldn't play man, didn't win the acc, and lost 8 games. The Zion team should have lost in the 1st weekend had Dawkins son hit that layup. This is with generational talent being led by arguably the greatest to ever coach, not a 35 year old rookie.

In no way am I saying Jon is or isn't the man for the job. We can only hope he learns. But, with the eye test, this team is nowhere near as good as those teams.
Well, that is the point. Scheyer is a 35 year old rookie. Was it a good choice to gamble the entire program on the mere supposition that he would not perform like a 35 year old rookie but, instead, would perform on the same level as an experienced head coach with a proven track record? How many former Duke assistants other than Quinn have shined as head coaches? True, some fans were wanting K fired early in his career. That fact means nothing, however, given that he took over a team that was far less talented than the current one and had to rebuild Duke's program from scratch. My guess is that K, who had been the HC at Army, would have been a huge success here if had started out with the level of talent we now have.

OFC

Well, that is the point. Scheyer is a 35 year old rookie. Was it a good choice to gamble the entire program on the mere supposition that he would not perform like a 35 year old rookie but, instead, would perform on the same level as an experienced head coach with a proven track record? How many former Duke assistants other than Quinn have shined as head coaches? True, some were wanting K fired early in his career. That fact means nothing, however, given that he took over a team that was far less talented than the current one and had to rebuild Duke's program from scratch. My guess is that K, who had been the HC at Army, would have been a huge success here if gifted with the level of talent we now have.

OFC
Doubt that . He was in the same situation with a young team during Covid and didn’t make the tourney .
Scheyer was already applying for head coaching jobs. It wasn’t like he didn’t have offers. This is Jon’s system . Already we’ve seen Jon put defense first and keep his rotation heavy when all players are available something in the last couple of seasons of K was always lacking .
K also didn’t recruit the current players at all. They all knew K was leaving they choose Duke because they trusted Scheyer and staff . No one handed Scheyer anything except the brand K built nationally for Duke but as far as the players with the exception of Roach, they were all recruited in brought in by Scheyer. Even Blakes was Scheyer’s recruit . He wasn’t handed a team like Davis . Players who had been in a system for three to four years while he was an assistant under the previous coach . Giving the players multiple years to work with him before taking over . Scheyer was left with one Junior, one sophomore and two walk ons that stayed from last year and only one played any real minutes in college.
Even K’s first year he had more then one returning player who had played college minutes .

Scheyer deserves more time to put his stamp on this program, but IMO the first couple months of his head coaching career have been a disappointment.
Getting that early Kansas win would have been huge, we had them on the ropes, didn’t close it out…we ran no offense the final 5 minutes of that game, none.
It is 2022, playing Mitchell at the 3 makes no sense spacing wise. Teams don’t respect his shot and it makes things harder for everyone else. This isn’t a hard thing to see, we actually score at a productive clip when Mitchell is at the 4 or on the bench.
I’m not saying he has to be K but part of coaching does mean you need to communicate with the refs and voice frustration.

To be positive the defensive rotations are the best they have been for Duke in a long time, especially when Lively is in and engaged. And I do like how he is embracing the transfer portal more than K did.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Well, that is the point. Scheyer is a 35 year old rookie. Was it a good choice to gamble the entire program on the mere supposition that he would not perform like a 35 year old rookie but, instead, would perform on the same level as an experienced head coach with a proven track record? How many former Duke assistants other than Quinn have shined as head coaches? True, some fans were wanting K fired early in his career. That fact means nothing, however, given that he took over a team that was far less talented than the current one and had to rebuild Duke's program from scratch. My guess is that K, who had been the HC at Army, would have been a huge success here if had started out with the level of talent we now have.

OFC
I like you devil, but the era K started in doesn’t remotely compare to the game of today. But to say he would have been a huge success here after his stint at Army isn’t exactly much to brag about. That’s like getting ready to rewatch the 92 game with Kentucky and saying we are gonna win.

I would argue that the Bagley 2018 and Zion 2019 teams “sniffed” the national title by both making the Elite 8 and both losing in heartbreaking fashion. They definitely didn’t get their clocks cleaned in the tournament, and both had the talent and pieces to win it all had the ball bounced a bit differently, or had the refs been a bit better (Wendell Carter charge is still the worst call I’ve ever seen.)

Regardless, this years team isn’t nearly as talented as those teams. Only silver lining I can find is there doesn’t seem to be many elite teams this season. Heck Kansas may be one of the best, and we had them beat without Whitehead playing at all.
Dan, my text was not clear on the “clocks cleaned” point - I wasn’t referring to just us, but those teams who were underclassmen heavy. Every year we see teams loaded with inexperienced NBA-destined talent get beaten by experienced teams with players who will never see an NBA court without buying a ticket. Sorry if it read like I was only referring to us. 😐

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
Doubt that . He was in the same situation with a young team during Covid and didn’t make the tourney .
Scheyer was already applying for head coaching jobs. It wasn’t like he didn’t have offers. This is Jon’s system . Already we’ve seen Jon put defense first and keep his rotation heavy when all players are available something in the last couple of seasons of K was always lacking .
K also didn’t recruit the current players at all. They all knew K was leaving they choose Duke because they trusted Scheyer and staff . No one handed Scheyer anything except the brand K built nationally for Duke but as far as the players with the exception of Roach, they were all recruited in brought in by Scheyer. Even Blakes was Scheyer’s recruit . He wasn’t handed a team like Davis . Players who had been in a system for three to four years while he was an assistant under the previous coach . Giving the players multiple years to work with him before taking over . Scheyer was left with one Junior, one sophomore and two walk ons that stayed from last year and only one played any real minutes in college.
Even K’s first year he had more then one returning player who had played college minutes .
K inherited a team with three really solid players in forwards Gene Banks(All-ACC, ALL-AMERICA), Kenny Dennard (vicious rebounder, stalwart defender), and a very versatile guard in Vince Taylor.

Also inherited were shooting guards Chip Engelland and Tommy Emma. Problem was Emma and Engelland were 2 guards, and Taylor was a 2 or small 3. After starting 7-7,K convinced Taylor he COULD play the point. Vince responded well and Duke went 10-6 afterwards against the heart of the schedule. They beat UNC who would make the natty final, and made the NIT. No portal, limited recruiting, not a bad debut and 17-13 finish. Might have won the NIT had Gene Banks not broken his wrist.

17-13 again was not bad under those circumstances. 17-13 some 40 years later at Duke after The House K Built? Not acceptable. No NCAA bid? Not acceptable. It's only one game, but we may find out a lot vs FSU. Duke has traditionally been a bear for other teams after a loss.

OFC

Last edited:

Correct. We could be looking at historic recruiting busts with this class. No other school said of any of these guys he’s overrated I’m looking elsewhere. If I’m a car dealership or a restaurant giving any of these guys money right now I’m felling kind of burnt. This is gonna be a weird year when Jon has a good pg when healthy, a good fresh Flip, a good athlete in Mitchell and what else. Dukes roster will be outplayed by FSU on New Years Eve. Laugh laugh. My mom went there. I watch the games. Warley and Mills will have a field day if Roach is 80 %

Even I'm not ready to step out on the ledge after one loss. I think we will beat FSU at home. If we don't, the season could get away from us. But that seems highly unlikely right now. But we need Roach healthy. We are ridiculously young without him. He seemed pretty off last night. I do think it's gonna be a bit of a roller coaster season with possibly more losses than usual.

Even I'm not ready to step out on the ledge after one loss. I think we will beat FSU at home. If we don't, the season could get away from us. But that seems highly unlikely right now. But we need Roach healthy. We are ridiculously young without him. He seemed pretty off last night.
No ledge involved. Who’s gonna guard Corwin or Mills? Good thing Fletcher out for the year. No one could guard him either

I’m going to step away from the board for awhile. This is to much . So everyone expects Scheyer to win like K ? A 42 year head coach to a first year head coach ? You all set the bar way to high for this team . Some of you had sweet 16 to elite 8 without seeing them play together and this team has yet to play together healthy . Talk about thinking this team was only going to lose a couple games with a junior that has never really ran the team .
K built K’s legacy now Scheyer has to build his own and I do not care what people say about any other coach due to the fact we don’t get this talent at Duke if another coach comes .
This has gotten to be unreal with 18 games left prior to the ACC tourney

I’m going to step away from the board for awhile. This is to much . So everyone expects Scheyer to win like K ? A 42 year head coach to a first year head coach ? You all set the bar way to high for this team . Some of you had sweet 16 to elite 8 without seeing them play together and this team has yet to play together healthy . Talk about thinking this team was only going to lose a couple games with a junior that has never really ran the team .
K built K’s legacy now Scheyer has to build his own and I do not care what people say about any other coach due to the fact we don’t get this talent at Duke if another coach comes .
Shey you will be very much missed. OFC

Hope you come back soon. Next yr I’ll try to just focus on Christmas movies and what kind of sweater Roy’s wearing.

Differ with you only in this. Those players came here primarily because they wanted to play for Duke, not because they wanted to play for Scheyer. Scheyer is Duke's representative and a great recruiter; but he was selling the K/Duke brand not his skill as a head coach. That does not necessarily transcend into the recruits not coming here if we had selected someone who had actual head coaching experience. As well, though K may not have been directly involved in some of the recruiting while still coaching, I would say ALL of our recruits came here because they wanted to be coached by K and play for Duke. The later recruits knew nothing about Scheyer's head coaching ability. All they knew was that he was hand-picked by K, and their trust in K's judgment had to have been largely responsible for their decisions to play for Scheyer. I understand that there is much difficulty in trying to sculpt a team out of primarily first-year players, even very talented ones. And it is my hope that we will see more of K in Scheyer than we have seen so far. Time will tell.

OFC

Differ with you only in this. Those players came here primarily because they wanted to play for Duke, not because they wanted to play for Scheyer. Scheyer is Duke's representative and a great recruiter; but he was selling the K/Duke brand not his skill as a head coach. That does not necessarily transcend into the recruits not coming here if we had selected someone who had actual head coaching experience. As well, though K may not have been directly involved in some of the recruiting while still coaching, I would say ALL of our recruits came here because they wanted to be coached by K and play for Duke. The later recruits knew nothing about Scheyer's head coaching ability. All they knew was that he was hand-picked by K, and their trust in K's judgment had to have been largely responsible for their decisions to play for Scheyer. I understand that there is much difficulty in trying to sculpt a team out of primarily first-year players, even very talented ones. And it is my hope that we will see more of K in Scheyer than we have seen so far. Time will tell.

OFC
Great post. You can’t underestimate how hard it is to build a team from scratch every year, esp in this Nil transfer era. Coaching is harder than ever before. Throw in a couple of players who basically are treating Duke like a rehab center, the best player having a nagging foot injury and what you have is a bubble team pretty much
It’s gonna be one of those years. You posters who enjoy Duke losing half their games have fun

I like you devil, but the era K started in doesn’t remotely compare to the game of today. But to say he would have been a huge success here after his stint at Army isn’t exactly much to brag about. That’s like getting ready to rewatch the 92 game with Kentucky and saying we are gonna win.
I agree that the game of today is hugely different. My "guess" (not "statement") was that if K had the same level of talent for that time period compared to other programs of that period as our current roster now compared to other programs, he would have been more successful. His stint as a head coach at Army was no doubt helpful. I was not suggesting that we look at Duke's teams back then as if they had today's players, which is a silly comparison as you noted. I agree that my post could be read as you did. My fault for not clearly conveying what I meant. Oh, by the way, I like you too and took no offense at your post which was reasonable based on the way you read mine.

OFC

It's tough winning with freshman, no matter how good. I've said this since the dawn of time. There are only so many Bancheros out there. That's why I really wanted Keels back. Let's just beat FSU and get healthy. This team needs time to gel.
Chris, you said it, "time to gel." One thing I think this program has been guilty of in the OAD era is the lack of attention and importance attached to TEAM CHEMISTRY.

It's very difficult to recruit 5 or 6 top hs players in the country and expect them to "gel." Having Jeremy HELPS, but is he intense and vocal enough to really lead?? Jury's out. I think Young does possess some leadership skills. "Hes old." Grandison while "old" has basically been a journeyman college player, and I don't see him as the leader type. Even though he's only a sophomore, I see budding leadership skills in Blakes. That kid wants to WIN!!

Being somewhat on-court leadership shy makes it encumbered on Scheyer to provide leadership. I read on another Duke site Scheyer is "never going to rip the team a new one." Perhaps it's going to take that, or at least an assistant to play "bad cop."

OFC

Last edited:
Other than Flip and Roach our guys are all role players. Which is nice, but we need a few more alphas. A lot of our guys seem like they are a year away from putting it all together, which is what frustrates me about OAD. Still time, but the clock is ticking. We're 1/3 through the year. We were missing 2 guys against Wake. I am more concerned about Roach's toe.

Last edited:
Other than Flip and Roach our guys are all role players. Which is nice, but we need a few more alphas. A lot of our guys seem like they are a year away from putting it all together, which is what frustrates me about OAD. Still time, but the clock is ticking. We're 1/3 through the year. We were missing 2 guys against Wake. I am more concerned about Roach's toe.
Same here Chris, the "alphas" are hard to come by stocking OAD's. That's why a few multi year players (Young, Blakes) are so valuable. Young was really frustrated by the lack of hunger vs Wake if you heard him in the post-game. He will be an "alpha" for us I believe.

You're also correct in the analysis of Jeremy's toe. That would be a HUGE LOSS, and he injured it roughly same time as Kyrie did. Trying to remain optimistic, but it's tough to know what's up behind the scenes.Duke is tight as Fort Knox.

OFC

If Roach was out we might have to start 5 freshman, which is kind of my worst nightmare, haha. I suppose we could start Young or Blakes. I'll just start comparing Grandison to Michael Jordan every day and that will get Shey back.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson

OFC
Read Flips, Whiteheads, livelys, Harris , McCains , Fosters and Stewart’s commitment releases . They all talk about wanting to play at Duke but in the end it was the trust in Scheyer that made them commit and his vision in them and the direction he wants to keep the program going in . It was the same for Mitchell when he got hurt and said it was Scheyer who kept in contact with him and checked on him. I get everyone wants to be on National television and get the exposure that Duke gets but the coach is who they ultimately play under. Also all of them had little to no contact with K . They all pretty much say they already knew he was stepping down and Scheyer had been picked but K wasn’t a deciding factor on coming to Duke .
2025 will tell a lot about every high profile recruiting program because all the top ten to 15 recruits will be able to go straight out of high school to the league .

FWIW the latest CBS mock draft.
Whitehead 11
Flip 16
Lively 22
Proctor 27
No one else in the top 50.
Whitehead is only falling due to his inability to stay on the court .
Would be surprised to see Lively from ten to twenty before seasons end . Flip is from 16-17 on the other mock drafts as well and Proctor is going from 27-36 on all the mock drafts .
Mitchell has potential but also a lot of wholes in his game as well that are showing more .

Flip and Whitehead look ready to me. (Whitehead because he's missed a lot of time) If Lively were ranked, say 30th in high school would anyone think he's a one and done based on what we've seen at Duke? Maybe 2 and done. Proctor is a few years away strength wise. Our freshman last year had NBA bodies, and Banchero is the only one playing right now. Mitchell kind of looks like an NBA guy build/length wise which might convince him to go. Whitehead has an NBA build.

Last edited:
Whitehead is only falling due to his inability to stay on the court .
Would be surprised to see Lively from ten to twenty before seasons end . Flip is from 16-17 on the other mock drafts as well and Proctor is going from 27-36 on all the mock drafts .
Mitchell has potential but also a lot of wholes in his game as well that are showing more .
Thanks for the info! OFC

You know, Shey, I have not seen a post where Scheyer was expected to win like K. I have seen plenty of posts which comment upon perceived weaknesses in the team's play, in Scheyer's substitution regimen, and other things. In addition, based upon the history of the program and the Hype which our first year players have received, it is far from being unreasonable for Duke fans to now have high expectations for this team. Have not seen many, if any, posts where the poster expected only 2 losses. I was not one of them as I predicted 9 or 10 losses after the first few games, and I certainly did not expect at the beginning of the season that Duke would only lose twice. I think most posters around here have understood Duke's lack of experience would take time to overcome. However, that does not shield Scheyer from constructive criticism when things are not going well, as was the case in the Wake game against a team which we were surely expected to beat. Finally, Scheyer receives the lion's share of the credit for our recruiting classes, not because he was a great coach but because he is a great recruiter. So you are right. We might not have so many talented players under another coach and without Jon's recruiting prowess. Anyway, don't stay away too long. I for one will miss your takes, even when we disagree on issues.

OFC

Last edited:
Message boards go into meltdown mode after losses. It happens everywhere. I find it kind of amusing. The Bengals board wanted Taylor fired early in the season. And that was after making the Super Bowl. Other than a few posts no one has gotten personal or said we suck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT