ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Wake

Read Flips, Whiteheads, livelys, Harris , McCains , Fosters and Stewart’s commitment releases . They all talk about wanting to play at Duke but in the end it was the trust in Scheyer that made them commit and his vision in them and the direction he wants to keep the program going in . It was the same for Mitchell when he got hurt and said it was Scheyer who kept in contact with him and checked on him. I get everyone wants to be on National television and get the exposure that Duke gets but the coach is who they ultimately play under. Also all of them had little to no contact with K . They all pretty much say they already knew he was stepping down and Scheyer had been picked but K wasn’t a deciding factor on coming to Duke .
2025 will tell a lot about every high profile recruiting program because all the top ten to 15 recruits will be able to go straight out of high school to the league .
All of those points you raise speak to Scheyer's ability to bond with the recruits. I think all good recruiters take the same type of approach. Those kids were in essence gambling that he will turn out to be a good head coach, and the fact that he was Coach K's pick for the job no doubt served as an inducement for them to run the risk.
It's questionable at least to me that all of them would have come to Duke to play for an unproven Duke assistant had K played no role in the hire.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
The place was not the same those 4 hours you were gone Shey.
Had to run to the liquor store for Jameson, Southern Comfort , Oban and some Buchanan’s. That’s what I meant by stepping away lol. Holiday drinks . I get every posters points just really don’t like people going after Scheyer’s coaching . I even saw it with K . Players need wake up calls . That team Tuesday was not the same team we’ve seen even without the two IR players( Lively and Whitehead).
You can coach , you can practice but if the players don’t bring it to the court then the question remains, what do you do ?
For me and we all know I’m an armchair assistant coach , Scheyer should sit Proctor for Blakes, and let Schutt get Grandison’s bench minutes or majority of them . That and make Whitehead and Lively live in a bubble in between games.

All of those points you raise speak to Scheyer's ability to bond with the recruits. I think all good recruiters take the same type of approach. Those kids were in essence gambling that he will turn out to be a good head coach, and the fact that he was Coach K's pick for the job no doubt served as an inducement for them to run the risk.
It's questionable at least to me that all of them would have come to Duke to play for an unproven Duke assistant had K played no role in the hire.

OFC
Scheyer was rated the number one hottest recruiter in college basketball. There was a reason a lot of schools wanted Scheyer to come . Even other coaches have mentioned the attention to detail Scheyer puts in once he zeros in on the players he would like to add to a class. .
I think it would to be crazy to say he wouldn’t have the same success any where else.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Ehhhhhh it's a lot easier to recruit with the Brotherhood/Duke brand behind you, which is probably at its highest point ever. Ask Capel and Dawkins and Wojo. And probably Nolan in a year or two. I like Jon but don't think he'd be getting 5 stars at Northwestern. We're the cool destination now, like Kentucky was 10 years ago. Coach K built that. These kids grew up watching Duke. What Jon has done is impressive, but there are decades of foundation there. I know we had success before that; but we've become a brand name.

Last edited:
Ehhhhhh it's a lot easier to recruit with the Brotherhood/Duke brand behind you, which is probably at its highest point ever. Ask Capel and Dawkins and Wojo. And probably Nolan in a year or two. I like Jon but don't think he'd be getting 5 stars at Northwestern. We're the cool destination now, like Kentucky was 10 years ago. Coach K built that. These kids grew up watching Duke. What Jon has done is impressive, but there are decades of foundation there. I know we had success before that; but we've become a brand name.
Kentucky just got the number one class for next year and Arkansas has got NIL money . Don’t let the brotherhood fool you. Yes it’s a selling point but other teams only recruit to what they need and a lot of teams don’t need an entire starting five year in year out . The available playing time for top recruits on national television is a big draw to Duke . If Keels, Mark and Moore return. Duke doesn’t land Lively or Proctor.

Reactions: christophero
If Keels, Mark and Moore returned we'd be a LOT better. Keels was kind of the tipping point for me. I knew we'd be too young. But we can still make a run. Jon needs to convince some borderline guys to come back. Sell NIL to guys like Mitchell and Proctor and Roach.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
If Keels, Mark and Moore returned we'd be a LOT better. Keels was kind of the tipping point for me. I knew we'd be too young. But we can still make a run. Jon needs to convince some borderline guys to come back. Sell NIL to guys like Mitchell and Proctor and Roach.
Chris very valid points! However the way we reload with seemingly a fresh pack of OADs every year, I wonder if the returnees would consider a return? This was a point of contention when Frank Jackson left at the end of 17, with the expected arrival of Tre Duval. (Jackson was way better IMO, but there was also rumored conflict between Frank's dad and K.)

I TOTALLY AGREE with your point! Duke needs the type of kids returning you mentioned. Talk about more experience, leadership, etc!! NIL hopefully can be a factor, but will we maybe pump the brakes on the haul of OAD's every year??? We seem very much programmed into a system. Although I do think Jon recognizes the importance of the portal.

I'm not talking about Banchero or Whitehead returning. But the fringe guys, guys like Keels, Mitchell, Duval, etc. maybe unconditional support is not the answer. Maybe some "dude you're gonna be in the G League and no one will know you in 2 years" hard truth. Esp. with NIL. But what do I know.

Did not look too good against Purdue as well. Maybe even more atrocious. OFC
Sorry, I can’t agree with you on that. We got manhandled inside by Edey, which is what’s happening and going to happen to Purdue’s opponents all year long. He’s first team AA material. Wipe out his stats and they shot 19 for 45, or 42%. Most nights that will win you the game. Our O wasn’t so hot that night, but Edey had a lot to do with that as well.

I'm not talking about Banchero or Whitehead returning. But the fringe guys, guys like Keels, Mitchell, Duval, etc. maybe unconditional support is not the answer. Maybe some "dude you're gonna be in the G League and no one will know you in 2 years" hard truth. Esp. with NIL. But what do I know.
You know quite a bit about hoops, and the "fringe guys" are exactly who we need to convince. OFC

They are being asked to guard and trap and half court…they are getting blown by and completely out of positions forcing help from the bigs.

Or we foul…

How many 10-11-12 fouls this half….that’s continually putting them in position to fail.

Too late now though….under five minutes and down double digits. Now you have zero choice.
You said this same kind of stuff every time we were losing with K. I think you should be our coach.

You know quite a bit about hoops, and the "fringe guys" are exactly who we need to convince. OFC
Thanks Hart. I was an okay player in high school. I could shoot pretty well. My talent was track. I had a scholarship to St. John's. My dad was a high school basketball coach. I certainly don't know it all. But I see guys like Oscar at Kentucky and the center at UNC and Timme at Gonzaga and it drives me a little crazy. Because if those guys were at Duke they would be long gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
It's going to take Jon some time like any new head coach because it is night and day from being assistant. He is also learning this team which has good talent but not ready for ACC competition. Our guards are going to have to shoot better especially Proctor. I'd like a Laentner on this staff to toughen these players up. He didn't sit games out for runny nose. It's the same problem with work force in companies, find every excuse to not show up...Rant over

Had to run to the liquor store for Jameson, Southern Comfort , Oban and some Buchanan’s. That’s what I meant by stepping away lol. Holiday drinks . I get every posters points just really don’t like people going after Scheyer’s coaching . I even saw it with K . Players need wake up calls . That team Tuesday was not the same team we’ve seen even without the two IR players( Lively and Whitehead).
You can coach , you can practice but if the players don’t bring it to the court then the question remains, what do you do ?
For me and we all know I’m an armchair assistant coach , Scheyer should sit Proctor for Blakes, and let Schutt get Grandison’s bench minutes or majority of them . That and make Whitehead and Lively live in a bubble in between games.
You have got admirable taste in liquor. OFC

Scheyer was rated the number one hottest recruiter in college basketball. There was a reason a lot of schools wanted Scheyer to come . Even other coaches have mentioned the attention to detail Scheyer puts in once he zeros in on the players he would like to add to a class. .
I think it would to be crazy to say he wouldn’t have the same success any where else.
As a Recruiter yes, coach not necessarily. I do not think he would have the same recruiting success without the Duke brand. Capel was a great recruiter, maybe as good as Jon, but he is hardly enjoying recruiting or coaching success at Pitt. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
As a Recruiter yes, coach not necessarily. I do not think he would have the same recruiting success without the Duke brand. Capel was a great recruiter, maybe as good as Jon, but he is hardly enjoying recruiting or coaching success at Pitt. OFC
Capel's program is finally showing some signs of life, but is it only fleeting???? Overall hard to call him an accomplished head coach at this point.

OFC

Flip and Whitehead look ready to me. (Whitehead because he's missed a lot of time) If Lively were ranked, say 30th in high school would anyone think he's a one and done based on what we've seen at Duke? Maybe 2 and done. Proctor is a few years away strength wise. Our freshman last year had NBA bodies, and Banchero is the only one playing right now. Mitchell kind of looks like an NBA guy build/length wise which might convince him to go. Whitehead has an NBA build.
Griffin is also getting quality minutes….but the rest just sit…..

I think I am overreacting a bit because of what happened 2 years ago. I think we'll be fine, if Roach is okay. But these things can spiral out of control quickly. We'll make the tournament, but we will not be a 2 or a 3 seed I imagine.

I think I am overreacting a bit because of what happened 2 years ago. I think we'll be fine, if Roach is okay. But these things can spiral out of control quickly. We'll make the tournament, but we will not be a 2 or a 3 seed I imagine.
We’d have to win a lot of games on the road to be seeded that high. We’ll have to get a lot better for that. 5 or 6 is prob our ceiling

Rewatching the Wake game to see what we need to work on.
1. Wake is getting anything they want. Lively could have helped in this game. Proctor and Mitchell look lost on D.
2. Blakes really giving us good minutes. He looks like a legit ACC guard.
3. Young is very solid. He shouldn't be playing more than 20 minutes a game, and I think he played 33 due to Lively out.
4. Roach making some very poor decisions. Perhaps settling for 3s because of his toe. he clearly does not have that burst.
5. Mitchell and Proctor really need a second year. Not saying we'll get it, but those guys have a long way to go. Proctor is way too careless with the ball. Mitchell is elite at getting to the hoop, which may be enough for the NBA.
6. With Roach hobbled, we just don't have a go to scorer. Flip is close, but Flip as the 2nd or third option would be ideal.
7. Flip is really battling. He didn't shoot well, but he is playing hard. Got to respect that.
8. I'm not concerned that we lost. I'm concerned that Wake is in complete control of this game.
9. Schutt playing some solid D. He's not a worse defender than Proctor. Nice to see him in there.
10. Mitchell with 2 3's. He's having a nice offensive game.
11. Blakes looks terrific. Wow. We're making a comeback, but we dug too deep a hole.
12. Summary; just one of those days. 2 guys out, Roach not 100 percent. We really need a healthy Roach.

Last edited:
Rewatching the Wake game to see what we need to work on.
1. Wake is getting anything they want. Lively could have helped in this game. Proctor and Mitchell look lost on D.
2. Blakes really giving us good minutes. He looks like a legit ACC guard.
3. Young is very solid. He shouldn't be playing more than 20 minutes a game, and I think he played 33 due to Lively out.
4. Roach making some very poor decisions. Perhaps settling for 3s because of his toe. he clearly does not have that burst.
5. Mitchell and Proctor really need a second year. Not saying we'll get it, but those guys have a long way to go. Proctor is way too careless with the ball. Mitchell is elite at getting to the hoop, which may be enough for the NBA.
6. With Roach hobbled, we just don't have a go to scorer. Flip is close, but Flip as the 2nd or third option would be ideal.
7. Flip is really battling. He didn't shoot well, but he is playing hard. Got to respect that.
8. I'm not concerned that we lost. I'm concerned that Wake is in complete control of this game.
9. Schutt playing some solid D. He's not a worse defender than Proctor. Nice to see him in there.
10. Mitchell with 2 3's. He's having a nice offensive game.
11. Blakes looks terrific. Wow. We're making a comeback, but we dug too deep a hole.
12. Summary; just one of those days. 2 guys out, Roach not 100 percent. We really need a healthy Roach.
Do not think of Roach as a quality go-to scorer. All I can say is that he is the best we got, and he is the only one. Unfortunately. OFC

Love McClellans 18 and 21, but my wallet doesn't. Also like Highland Park.

OFC
I’ve got a bottle of both but I don’t drink it much lol. Very pricey but Oban is second to Jameson and Glenlivet and Glenfidich are both very good . Tried Highland Park it’s ok and sexton is another alright Whiskey .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT