ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Wake

Great game for Blakes but he should not be our leading scorer. Flip needs to make some adjustment teams have scouted his spin move. I'll just assume Roach was sick or injured. Young and Mitchell played hard. With a weak ACC we can't afford many more losses like tonight.

Last edited:
It’s a message board.seriously! These players that are playing now have been the same playing together the first 12 games where Duke went 10-2. The students aren’t even in the arena for christ sakes can you really call this a true road game
Nah man, there are people who only show up when we're losing and disappear when it's good. Then that bullshit Brad Stevens post someone made. Everyone is entitled to vent. I just can't stand constant negativity and arm coaching suggestions.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
You guys never know. A loss like this might inspire the team to play better and to their potential. Or it might be a sign that they suck and have no chance to amount to anything and should just throw in the towel. We'll see. But I do laugh at the people already whining about Scheyer. There's not a clown on this board that can tell him where he needs to improve that he doesn't already know. He may make it, he may not. But the chatter here is hilariously premature.
It’s a message board for christ sakes not the hiring board. I’m not questioning Scheyer I’m questioning the players period . Whitehead and Lively have not been healthy so the players that played today have practiced and played together the last 12 games. There has been no improvement on offense and defense didn’t even look the same . After a week and a half of practice actual practice this is what they come up with.
Not to mention the students are not there .

Nah man, there are people who only show up when we're losing and disappear when it's good. Then that bullshit Brad Stevens post someone made. Everyone is entitled to vent. I just can't stand constant negativity and arm coaching suggestions.
Come on Bleed that’s on every board. My complaint is that after a week and a half of practice and the same players playing that have played the first 12 games, I don’t count Whitehead or Lively that haven’t stayed healthy yet this season . This is the performance you come out with? Blakes as the leading scorer .

Reactions: Devilinside
I said the Brad Stevens comment and I totally stand by it.

Scheyer hasn’t shown me a single thing that is impressive outside of recruiting.

It’s probably the worst offensive Duke team I’ve ever seen. Don’t tell me it’s because he doesn’t have talent.

300 D1 schools would kill for his level of talent that can run a semblance of offense. It’s the scheme and it totally sucks.

I was hopeful to see an adjustment after two weeks of down time….it was actually worse.

As far as coaching….I don’t care two craps what the philosophy is….your job as coach #1,2, and 3 is to put your players into position to be successful.

This game plan sucked to high heaven….24 free throws!? 14 by their top guy!?

They didn’t stop penetration for forty minutes. I could walk into Cameron tomorrow and coach a defense that would stop penetration in under five minutes.

They did the same thing for forty minutes….the same thing. That’s piss poor….piss piss poor.

And I’ll just add…that doesn’t mean they would of won.

What I’m saying is….he didn’t coach what was happening on the court. He didn’t even give them a chance….

I won’t even talk about how stagnant the offense is with two post guys always standing next to each other with three statues on the perimeter.

You want space…

Play Schutt and put Filip at the five….I bet the offense changes dramatically.

Reactions: Devilinside
Just catching the box score....so many 3's....i guess we havent learned yet that this isnt our game...players with a low percentage still putting them up....not sure what it will take for these kids to realise that isnt their shot and maybe a drive or an assist would be better. 14 FTs is too few, means we arent being aggressive to the basket...this is about what I expect this year...one good game, one mediocre game and losses that are self-inflicted....its what we have seen the last few years...onto the next one

I'm too lazy to go back and see if the people complaining about Scheyer are the same ones who complained about Coach K playing too much one on one, not enough zone defense, not playing the bench enough, and not making enough adjustments, etc.

I saw a team that was out of sync, continued to take 3 pointers that I have seen no proof they can make on a regular basis, especially away from Cameron, and failed to box out or help on defense. Maybe it was fatigue after not playing a game for 10 days, maybe took Wake too lightly, but now they've got a lot of work to do to make up for an unexpected loss in a weak conference.

Honestly this team shouldn't take anyone lightly. We are ranked what, 14th, 15th? I forgot about Roach's toe. Is he still hurt?

Last edited:
I used to be the guy that complained after every loss. I guess I’ve calmed down a little on Duke basketball. I still can’t stand to see us lose, but it just don’t mean what it used to.
As far as the game tonight, Roach, Flip, and Proctor were really bad. As far as Jon as the head coach, he’s young, and it’s his first season. He’s got some learning to do.

The one thing I know is you don’t learn when things are going well, you learn from losing. As fans, we hope Jon learns from tonight. He’s got 40 minutes of film tonight on things to correct.

Lively and Whitehead out. I know, not proven game changers but guys who usually play substantial minutes who weren’t available.

Roach played his worst game of the year. He really played poorly, forced things over and over on offense. He defense was solid. If he’s injured we could be in trouble.

Flip also with his worst game of the year. Multiple wide open threes that didn’t touch the rim. Why oh why did we not set up plays for other shooters?

Wake played well as a team and had players step up and play exceptionally.

That’s a recipe for a road loss in the ACC. I sure was hoping we would have gone zone to stop penetration and easy shots but coach chose to stick with man. Our press was mediocre at best.

I really hate these long breaks. I know everyone talks about time to practice and gel, but I would rather see us not have these long breaks in December. In theory the break sounds great but in practice they seem to work against us.

I fully expected an up and down season. Let’s see if we can come back on an upswing.

We all know things are rarely as good as they seem or as bad as they seem. Today was just uninspiring. The game was never really even close.

Bingo, this was the first true road game for Duke, if this game was in Cameron you guys win by 15-20. Playing at home makes a big difference in 80% of ACC games. Prior to tonight, your 2 losses were to 2 of the top 5 teams in the country, a pretty good resume’. Wins on the road are not going to come easy in the ACC. Fan bases are what they are. After we lost 4 straight, I was not as much on the ledge as other Tar Heels, I knew the schedule would get easier & we would probably start playing better. There is a lot of talent on your roster & you will have games where you look like you can beat anybody. Ebs & flows! I can promise our fan base was more down on Hubert through 15 games last year than you guys are on Scheyer this year. Shit takes care of itself, you can’t expect to win every road game in ACC play. Lots of talent there & lots of time to figure things out.

This is going to be an 8-10 loss team. Literally zero shooters and no real leaders. Will have to grind a bunch to win.

Sweet 16 is probably our ceiling.
Don’t play Fsu on the road so who do we beat on the road? BC Louisville I’ll check the sched fingers crossed

I see your point but I do not think Coach K called Bobby Knight after every game his first season. Advice is fine; just don't rely on it. Jon is the coach now. I'm sure he's gotten plenty of advice. But he needs to find his way at some point.

I see your point but I do not think Coach K called Bobby Knight after every game his first season. Advice is fine; just don't rely on it. Jon is the coach now. I'm sure he's gotten plenty of advice. But he needs to find his way at some point.
Coach K didn’t follow Knight at IU and there had been several years in between since they worked together all of which you know. It does make you wonder whose idea this years set up is, the post game notes thing, and how long this will last. If it gives Jon comfort, if it’s practical advice. If the Goat is offering his help he’d be a fool not to listen but is he willing to assert himself and go his own way is the question

Reactions: christophero
I didn’t watch tonight but I have a handful of observations of this board:

- it’s almost surprising to me that some of you are shocked Duke is a maybe top-25 team at this point. How are you surprised? It’s the Duke way. Get ready for more next year when they lose 4-5 guys to the “pro’s”.

- They should fire Jon and hire someone from this board, preferably one that only comes here when Duke is losing. Hell, I think I saw a calling for Brad Stevens already lol.

- Get your Tums if you haven’t accepted reality yet. Duke isn’t that good as compared to what we expect. These guys have their eyes on the next level and already have a foot out the door. Doesn’t mean they can’t make a run, but I don’t see it, especially the weak backcourt play.

Regardless I’m here for the ride and will have fun cheering alongside some of you guys!

Cheers!

I said the Brad Stevens comment and I totally stand by it.

Scheyer hasn’t shown me a single thing that is impressive outside of recruiting.

It’s probably the worst offensive Duke team I’ve ever seen. Don’t tell me it’s because he doesn’t have talent.

300 D1 schools would kill for his level of talent that can run a semblance of offense. It’s the scheme and it totally sucks.

I was hopeful to see an adjustment after two weeks of down time….it was actually worse.

As far as coaching….I don’t care two craps what the philosophy is….your job as coach #1,2, and 3 is to put your players into position to be successful.

This game plan sucked to high heaven….24 free throws!? 14 by their top guy!?

They didn’t stop penetration for forty minutes. I could walk into Cameron tomorrow and coach a defense that would stop penetration in under five minutes.

They did the same thing for forty minutes….the same thing. That’s piss poor….piss piss poor.
Yep, it’s official, you’re a train wreck. Wow.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
It was a disappointing game; obviously not the end of the world. The game was never really close, so I was hoping to see more fight. Wake seemed pretty in control all game. But Lively and Whitehead missing more time is not ideal, esp, as many were pointing towards this period as when they could finally get valuable practice time. Fingers crossed they are back soon. Overall I figured we'd have 2 or 3 losses at this point, so about as expected. It happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
Roach should have never been playing his toe is still swollen . The broad casters said Jon mentioned it in pre game .

The three’s need to stop period and Duke needs to attack the basket.

Mitchell and Flip do not need to dribble to far into the paint it’s a turnover waiting to happen.

The defense looked regressed last night a lot and the offense looks no different then it has since the start of the season. 18 games left but I don’t see a whole lot changing outside of Whitehead and Lively possibly being able to stay on the court .

Roach should have never been playing his toe is still swollen . The broad casters said Jon mentioned it in pre game .

The three’s need to stop period and Duke needs to attack the basket.

Mitchell and Flip do not need to dribble to far into the paint it’s a turnover waiting to happen.

The defense looked regressed last night a lot and the offense looks no different then it has since the start of the season. 18 games left but I don’t see a whole lot changing outside of Whitehead and Lively possibly being able to stay on the court .
His toe is still swollen? Yeah that's not good considering he had like 12 days to heal up.

Reactions: sheyduke
See if everyone can be healthy come the 31. I was listening to sports analyst after the game and they were all saying the same thing . It looked like no one but Blakes showed up for the game .

It can be fixed sure but players need to get healthy and open shots need to fall.

This team just isn’t that good. Whitehead and Lively could have helped, especially on defense, but we are far away from being a great team.

Mitchell plays his ass off but is a flawed player.
Flip is about as soft as my pillow and kept settling for clanking 3’s instead of taking his 7 foot ass down in the paint to dominate. He should no longer be allowed to dribble past the 3 point line, a walking turnover.
Young should never be playing more than 15 mpg on a good team, can’t jump over a piece of paper, Wake loved throwing lobs over him. Why not play Reeves????
When will we be past the “Proctor’s shot looks good it just isn’t going in yet” stage? Are we there yet?
Roach should have been benched last night; wasn’t even hustling, it was gross.

The lone bright spot was Blakes, and man was he good. He out hustled everyone else on the team put together.

And to anyone annoyed for fans getting on Scheyer, Isn’t that what a message board is for? Scheyer has been dreadful, his rotations don’t make sense, and we did not seem prepared to play on the road. This isn’t anything like K’s first season. Scheyer was handed the keys to a team full of 5 stars and the top program in the country, don’t ruine it.

Lively and Whitehead out. I know, not proven game changers but guys who usually play substantial minutes who weren’t available.

Roach played his worst game of the year. He really played poorly, forced things over and over on offense. He defense was solid. If he’s injured we could be in trouble.

Flip also with his worst game of the year. Multiple wide open threes that didn’t touch the rim. Why oh why did we not set up plays for other shooters?

Wake played well as a team and had players step up and play exceptionally.

That’s a recipe for a road loss in the ACC. I sure was hoping we would have gone zone to stop penetration and easy shots but coach chose to stick with man. Our press was mediocre at best.

I really hate these long breaks. I know everyone talks about time to practice and gel, but I would rather see us not have these long breaks in December. In theory the break sounds great but in practice they seem to work against us.

I fully expected an up and down season. Let’s see if we can come back on an upswing.
Good points made here. I was also hoping somehow we could schedule a "cupcake"' game during one of these breaks. I'm sure a school like Elon would have played us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT