ADVERTISEMENT

Obi ?

SteelerNeal

Recruit
Apr 1, 2013
I wasn't expecting a ton of minutes for Obi but knowing what he did in 2013 and assuming he had a lot of practice time last year to work on the things I'm sure the players and coaches would have told him to work on, I did expect to see him maybe 5 - 10 minutes a game. What is going on with him?

I know the kid wants to get on the floor. He's a big body and two years ago he made space. If he has some offense, he should be in that frontcourt rotation. Chase is forcing K to play him because the kid gives Duke a back to the basket option. I hope Sean can do the same.

He seems really awkward and unathletic on the court, and he probably will not contribute much unless in blowouts. I get a Casey Sanders type vibe from him, but I hope I'm not wrong. Hopefully he will come on like Sheldon Williams.

I saw the kid at Rice and he got touches. For the system Duke runs with a lot of movement, he is awkward. He is an old school, half court, post player that does not jump very high. A very poor man's Zach Randolph. He was a perfect addition(practice competition) for Oak. Now if Oak was still here, he could sub for him, he might get pt, because the post option would be assumed and available. But since we are more of a perimeter offensive team this year, it will be hard for him to get some pt.

Casey sanders didn't have it on offense but that kid could run and jump through the roof. He was a key cog in 2001 when Boozer went down.

We all know Coach K's rotation. 8 man most of the time. Obi is really gonna have to improve to make it a 9 man rotation. OFC

Casey sanders didn't have it on offense but that kid could run and jump through the roof. He was a key cog in 2001 when Boozer went down.

That's the thing Obi does not do, he runs to the spot and wait for the pass. Unless he changes his way of playing(which should have happen or is happening), he will not get any pt in this system.

Obi is very raw. Very raw.

+ We have two Sr. bigs who can man the five on most nights. Jeter can't even get on the floor on nights when he makes plays (G-Town), let alone get to the point where Obi will play. Maybe next year will be different if we miss out on Bolden and have only Jeter as a quasi-true 5.

We need our bigs to score. We need our bigs to score. We need our bigs to score. Say it with me.

We will not go anywhere unless we start to get production under the basket. Amile can average 12-13 points a night easy and should be scoring more than that most nights. He can finish with either hand and is long enough to get close to the rim with nice touch. Its not last year where he has to defer to Big Jah. I really thought he was going to be more assertive this year as a senior leader. Jeter can play with his back to the basket and I think he will carve a nice role because of his skill-set. We need these guys to score because we can't rely on hitting jump shots all night or hoping Grayson consistently gets to the rim. But these lineups with Plumlee, Jefferson, and Matt Jones are tough to watch because you have 3 guys who can't get their own shot (or in the case of Amile, don't look for their shot), and it looks really clunky. With the new emphasis on freedom of movement we need lineups which trot out as many scoring options as possible. I love our small lineup of Thornton, Allen, Kennard, Ingram, and Jefferson.

So unless Obi has a few post-moves I don't know about, I'd rather just let Plumlee do the dirty work. He's earned it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT