ADVERTISEMENT

Next year questions

If this team works well together...WOW! No matter what, there will always be questions/concerns that will need to break in our favor. I really like the potential of Alex, Javin, Bolden, Jack, Jordan, and Justin-almost in that order-to fill the roles that will be needed. Should be a fun ride.

PG:Tre/Jordan
SG:RJ/AOC
SF:Cam/Jack
PF:Zion/Javin/Robo
C:Bolden/Vrank

A lot of young kids and a lot of dudes improving and ready to show what they can do next season...there’s definitely some
Depth there and guys that could play some minutes and some really nice bench roles especially Alex and Javin.

Just pulled the best class in history and some are still worried. Enjoy it fellas. We will be just fine. You never know, Carter might shock the world like Zion did and return for one year.
Preach it Brother Preach it.

Just maybe 1 of the 4 might want to come back for more.

I agree. No way it will be like this forever. I just have to learn to curtail my expectations and remember these are teenagers. I get so caught up in feeling like it was a wasted year if teams like this year and next year don't bring home the title. I have GOT to learn how to enjoy season and base my feelings purely on the first Monday in April
I too feel like it was a waste but am trying to learn to temper my feelings.

PG Jones
SG Barrett
SF Reddish
PF Williamson
Center Bolden

Bench
Alex O
Javin
Goldwire

The problem Javin and Bolden haven’t developed much over the past two years. Not sure how much better they will be next year. Bolden doesn’t seem to fit the overplay man to man style defense and I think that is why he sits out a lot.

Alex O should be vastly improved especially if he could put on twenty pounds of muscle.

Goldwire should develop into a decent defensive point guard.

Vrank and white have thier limitations.

K should play about 7 to 8 guys next year.

Ultimate small ball team.
Will be the best small ball team ever assembled.

^^

Duke small ball next season

Tre 6’3 190
Alex 6’6 190
RJ 6’7 200
Cam 6’7 200
Zion 6’7 270

In spurts next season...play some zone/get out in transition and punish teams!

DN12- I also see Javin at the 5 a lot. Probably a toss up between him and Bolden. I could also see Alex being the guard/wing off the bench with K shuffling Jones, Barrett, and Zion especially if Alex increases the separation in ability he has already shown over Jordan and Jack.

Anyone that thinks there is even a slight chance that Carter is returning needs to immediately take that out of their brain.. He is a lottery pick at this point.

Maybe, just maybe, he likes college basketball and Duke? He's a lottery pick next year as well or whenever he decides to come out. It's sad we as fans are just programmed to think every good player is one and done. I understand why you think that way though.

Reactions: pisgah101
Maybe, just maybe, he likes college basketball and Duke? He's a lottery pick next year as well or whenever he decides to come out. It's sad we as fans are just programmed to think every good player is one and done. I understand why you think that way though.
I wouldn't understand why you would think otherwise. Hope? Wish? Of course. Me, too. But the default is that he will go.

I wouldn't understand why you would think otherwise. Hope? Wish? Of course. Me, too. But the default is that he will go.

I guess I still have a tiny slither of faith left in me that some of these kids are there for the team and not just the name on the back of the jersey. Carter will get his millions no matter what year he comes out. Is it wishful thinking, sure. I get what you're saying though Dattier. I wish Carter the best no matter what he chooses.

I guess I still have a tiny slither of faith left in me that some of these kids are there for the team and not just the name on the back of the jersey. Carter will get his millions no matter what year he comes out. Is it wishful thinking, sure. I get what you're saying though Dattier. I wish Carter the best no matter what he chooses.
I don't think being there for the team/college experience and making the most logical financial decision are mutually exclusive, but I get what you mean, too. We understood that was the case more easily when guys were around for awhile.

I'll buy ice cream for the whole board if Wendell comes back.

(Side note....I've offered to buy ice cream about five times and no one has yet to get mint chocolate chip.)

Wendell Carter doesn't owe Duke anything and he certainly doesn't owe us as fans a thing either. It is easy for us to offer up the front of the jersey line, but it is quite another to ask someone or expect someone who has a winning lottery ticket in their hands to hold on to it for any longer than necessary. It is simple to say or think that the millions will always be there, but I am sure you can find plenty of examples of players who lost millions by staying in school longer than needed. We are the commoners, the fans. We go to work Mon-Fri, we cash a check and go home to our families. We seek outlets such as Duke basketball to release all the stress we build up on a day to day basis. It is so much easier for us to rationalize another year in college. I don't ask and I don't expect a single person in this world to gamble with a multi-million dollar lottery ticket. Wendell can come back any time he wants and get his degree, either next year, the year after that or after his playing days are over.

Many times the internet and these message forums are tone deaf, so don't confuse me with lashing out at anyone who holds a different opinion. I just find it nonsensical to even think that a player would take his early first round draft selection and gamble with it. How many injuries did we have last year? They happen all the time and some athletes just never fully recover. The minute you can cash a substantial check and provide for your family for life you do it. Duke will always be there for whenever our past athletes need it.

Wendell Carter doesn't owe Duke anything and he certainly doesn't owe us as fans a thing either. It is easy for us to offer up the front of the jersey line, but it is quite another to ask someone or expect someone who has a winning lottery ticket in their hands to hold on to it for any longer than necessary. It is simple to say or think that the millions will always be there, but I am sure you can find plenty of examples of players who lost millions by staying in school longer than needed. We are the commoners, the fans. We go to work Mon-Fri, we cash a check and go home to our families. We seek outlets such as Duke basketball to release all the stress we build up on a day to day basis. It is so much easier for us to rationalize another year in college. I don't ask and I don't expect a single person in this world to gamble with a multi-million dollar lottery ticket. Wendell can come back any time he wants and get his degree, either next year, the year after that or after his playing days are over.

Many times the internet and these message forums are tone deaf, so don't confuse me with lashing out at anyone who holds a different opinion. I just find it nonsensical to even think that a player would take his early first round draft selection and gamble with it. How many injuries did we have last year? They happen all the time and some athletes just never fully recover. The minute you can cash a substantial check and provide for your family for life you do it. Duke will always be there for whenever our past athletes need it.

Good post.

I'll buy ice cream for the whole board if Wendell comes back.

(Side note....I've offered to buy ice cream about five times and no one has yet to get mint chocolate chip.)

Right and we will all have to come to Minn. to get it.:DOFC

Like K says, as long as they truly unpack their bags, i am good with whenever they choose to leave.

Reactions: Dattier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT