ADVERTISEMENT

Next year questions

Apr 6, 2007
The hype will be huge but what will the lineup look like. I am assuming the starting 5 are all gone from this year. Is K still in on anyone else for next season. It’s awesome having the top 3 coming in but doesn’t that leave Duke a little light at guard and center?

The hype will be huge but what will the lineup look like. I am assuming the starting 5 are all gone from this year. Is K still in on anyone else for next season. It’s awesome having the top 3 coming in but doesn’t that leave Duke a little light at guard and center?

PG Jones
SG Barrett
SF Reddish
PF Williamson
Center Bolden

Bench
Alex O
Javin
Goldwire

The problem Javin and Bolden haven’t developed much over the past two years. Not sure how much better they will be next year. Bolden doesn’t seem to fit the overplay man to man style defense and I think that is why he sits out a lot.

Alex O should be vastly improved especially if he could put on twenty pounds of muscle.

Goldwire should develop into a decent defensive point guard.

Vrank and white have thier limitations.

K should play about 7 to 8 guys next year.

Ultimate small ball team.

I don’t feel like Gary Trent is a 1st round pick, and he should stick around another year.. I doubt he will though.

But yea it does seem we will be thin at SG and C

Definitely will have to play small. What worries me is the lack of 3 pt shooting and rebounding. Seems pretty glaring with this bunch only 2 or 3 shooters on the whole team and not much size.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft
As of yesterday, this site doesn't project Gary to go in the 2018 draft, (they have him going 2019) for years he was projected 15-20 until yesterday. Don't take too much stock into this, but Gary is the only starter I wouldn't be shocked if he returned.

Just pulled the best class in history and some are still worried. Enjoy it fellas. We will be just fine. You never know, Carter might shock the world like Zion did and return for one year.

They NEED him to return for the team to be a legit contender in my opinion. They can make the post work well enough with Bolden and Vrank but without another shooter to open up the floor they will struggle. Does anyone know if Duke is still in on any guards or posts for next years class?

They NEED him to return for the team to be a legit contender in my opinion. They can make the post work well enough with Bolden and Vrank but without another shooter to open up the floor they will struggle. Does anyone know if Duke is still in on any guards or posts for next years class?
Tre Jones and Reddish should be excellent 3 point shooters. Reddish especially, will look like KD shooting out there.
Plus AOC coming off the bench.

And I agree. It’s one hell of a class but there is a reason I didn’t draft Brady Brees and Wentz all on my fantasy team. Just hopin K knows that one of the freshman is stayin.

The development of Bolden/Vrank will be key. With so much explosive scoring 1-4, all we will need from them is to block shots, rebound and defend. Bolden has to stay healthy, though. Going against Carter/Bagley should have them prepared for next year.

There may be some re-classification or grad transfers that Duke go after.

Duval and Trent are not locks to leave, but if they are 1st rounders, they should go. We will have plenty of time in July to sort that out. Tucker would’ve had the inside track and some wide open looks... now he’s sitting out the Fall. One more shooter would really fit nicely. Besides that, we look great on personnel. So happy to have Goldwire on board. He’s the perfect sub.

Duval and Trent are not locks to leave, but if they are 1st rounders, they should go. We will have plenty of time in July to sort that out. Tucker would’ve had the inside track and some wide open looks... now he’s sitting out the Fall. One more shooter would really fit nicely. Besides that, we look great on personnel. So happy to have Goldwire on board. He’s the perfect sub.
I think Duval is a lock, Trent I'm not so sure about, he has been taken off some 2018 mock drafts recently. I'm also not gonna even dream about Carter coming back, that isn't happening.
With Trent back, wow. Even without him though, our shooting should be fine, Tre Jones will be solid, and Reddish is a mini-KD, his jumper is so pure. Add in Trent and we basically got Steph, Klay, and KD. AOC will provided some great shooting off the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeDenver
I think Duval is a lock, Trent I'm not so sure about, he has been taken off some 2018 mock drafts recently. I'm also not gonna even dream about Carter coming back, that isn't happening.
With Trent back, wow. Even without him though, our shooting should be fine, Tre Jones will be solid, and Reddish is a mini-KD, his jumper is so pure. Add in Trent JR and we basically got Steph, Klay, and KD. AOC will provided some great shooting off the bench.
Goldwire, White and Robinson can hit open looks too in stretch minutes.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Next year's things to be questioned:
1- Rebounding. Carter and Bagley are absolute studs on the glass. Bolden would really need to step up and how good of rebounders are Cam and Zion?
2- post defending- again, not to slight Bolden in any way, but he will need help. Is Zion able to defend opposing 4's who will be a good 4-5 inches taller than him?
3- getting all these guys to buy into sharing the ball and playing as a team.

Anyone that thinks there is even a slight chance that Carter is returning needs to immediately take that out of their brain.. He is a lottery pick at this point.

Reactions: Quavarius
Anyone that thinks there is even a slight chance that Carter is returning needs to immediately take that out of their brain.. He is a lottery pick at this point.

Carter is a lottery pick and close to a top ten pick. He’s a more athletic Elton Brand with a jump shot and better post moves. He has a decent handle for center or power forward. His wing span is 7’3 and he has a 39 inch vertical leap. He is gone. He highly skilled and doesn’t need another year of school.

Reactions: DukeJim99
Next year's things to be questioned:
1- Rebounding. Carter and Bagley are absolute studs on the glass. Bolden would really need to step up and how good of rebounders are Cam and Zion?
2- post defending- again, not to slight Bolden in any way, but he will need help. Is Zion able to defend opposing 4's who will be a good 4-5 inches taller than him?
3- getting all these guys to buy into sharing the ball and playing as a team.
1. We'll be fine lol
2.zion is 270 and can jump out the gym that’s twice as fast as his size with K...he will be fine
3. Ur basically starting 3 as of now guards Barrett Reddish Jones...with Zion being I guess the bagley this year . He chose duke for a reason on and off the floor.. with them 4 I could even see Alex starting....I will say another big C who’s NBA ready to rebound , defend , with a motor , who can score a little would be lovely..:)... it’s also January.... More worrried about injuries and transfers , Ks health , maybe just maybe zions stardom becoming a distraction, which shouldn’t . Just stuff u shouldn’t worrry urself about! Lol..senior leadership ?

Last edited:
I'm hearing that Bolden, Javin, Alex, Goldwire, White, and Robinson are transferring.

Reactions: dukiejay
...Javin and Bolden haven’t developed much over the past two years. Not sure how much better they will be next year. Bolden doesn’t seem to fit the overplay man to man style defense and I think that is why he sits out a lot.
I don't agree w/ any of this in the slightest. Javin played in a total of 12 games last year. He has played in every game he has dressed for this season, w/ nearly double the minutes per game. Quis has also played in every game he has dressed for w/ significantly more minutes per. They've both more than doubled their points and rebounds per game.

When you say Quis "sits out a lot," do you mean the 28+ minutes per game he doesn't play or do you mean the 6 games he hasn't played in at all? If the former, okay, but no one is claiming he's a finished product. If the latter, you haven't followed news about his health.

6 6 and 270 is not a small college 4. Look what Folsom has been doing for ND the last 3 years. And, it is not like our 2 and 3 spots are 6'2". They are 6'6" and 6'7". Plenty of size with Kevin and Bolden at the 5. We need Alex and Justin/Vrank to get stronger and Jack to step up a little. Very reasonable developments to expect.

6 6 and 270 is not a small college 4. Look what Folsom has been doing for ND the last 3 years. And, it is not like our 2 and 3 spots are 6'2". They are 6'6" and 6'7". Plenty of size with Kevin and Bolden at the 5. We need Alex and Justin/Vrank to get stronger and Jack to step up a little. Very reasonable developments to expect.
Who's Kevin?

Yes Sister. Guess I am staying in for recess again for bad spelling. Damn, I hate missing out on kickball. And, please guys, dont tell my wife. Bad spelling on message boards etc. Is a huge pet peev of hers. Damn, I dont even know how to spell peev. The others were just bad phone/text skills. I dont know how kids do this.

I don't agree w/ any of this in the slightest. Javin played in a total of 12 games last year. He has played in every game he has dressed for this season, w/ nearly double the minutes per game. Quis has also played in every game he has dressed for w/ significantly more minutes per. They've both more than doubled their points and rebounds per game.

When you say Quis "sits out a lot," do you mean the 28+ minutes per game he doesn't play or do you mean the 6 games he hasn't played in at all? If the former, okay, but no one is claiming he's a finished product. If the latter, you haven't followed news about his health.

Javin had 0 points against Pitt and 4 fouls in 10 minutes of action and against NC State he had 5 fouls and 4 points in 15 minutes of action. To be considered a good to great defensive player you can’t foul at that rate. His offensive skill set is very limited. He is tremendous athlete but isn’t fluid or agile.

Bolden is always injured and his production hasn't come close to his number 1 center ranking. He strengths are altering and blocking shots on defense but he hedges too far out to get rebounds, blocks or alter shots.

Our bench had 2 points yesterday against a bad Pitt team that may lose every game they play in the ACC this year.

To be better next year both Javin and Bolden have to become more consistent and Alex need to gain about 15 to 20 pounds of muscle.

Reactions: Quavarius
Yes Sister. Guess I am staying in for recess again for bad spelling. Damn, I hate missing out on kickball. And, please guys, dont tell my wife. Bad spelling on message boards etc. Is a huge pet peev of hers. Damn, I dont even know how to spell peev. The others were just bad phone/text skills. I dont know how kids do this.
lol
Stupid auto-correct!

Definitely will have to play small. What worries me is the lack of 3 pt shooting and rebounding. Seems pretty glaring with this bunch only 2 or 3 shooters on the whole team and not much size.
So,you guys have top 3 recruits and 4 in top 10 and you are worried? Must me nice.

Javin had 0 points against Pitt and 4 fouls in 10 minutes of action and against NC State he had 5 fouls and 4 points in 15 minutes of action. To be considered a good to great defensive player you can’t foul at that rate. His offensive skill set is very limited. He is tremendous athlete but isn’t fluid or agile.

Bolden is always injured and his production hasn't come close to his number 1 center ranking. He strengths are altering and blocking shots on defense but he hedges too far out to get rebounds, blocks or alter shots.

Our bench had 2 points yesterday against a bad Pitt team that may lose every game they play in the ACC this year.

To be better next year both Javin and Bolden have to become more consistent and Alex need to gain about 15 to 20 pounds of muscle.
I think your'e overreacting a tad. Bolden has shown great signs of improvement. Pretty obvious last year that he wasn't gonna immediately live up to his #1 C ranking (probably will end up being our benefit in the long run). He seems wayyyy more confident when he catches the ball on the block this year, last year all he did was throw up a terrible lefty hook shot that just looked awkward. And he has shown flashes of tenacious defense. Bolden is just in a tough spot, playing behind 2 of the best bigs in the country.

Javin I thought would be a little further along than he is now, but I'm chalking injuries up to why Javin hasn't progressed further. He still brings great energy, still is very limited offensively (probably always will be a bit limited), he just needs to learn to play great defense without fouling. He definitely has the length and athleticism to be an elite defender. I'm confident he gets there.

Reactions: Dattier

You are citing individual games and high school recruiting rankings. You are factually, statistically incorrect that one or both of them "haven't developed much over the past two years." You're even rounding up to two years and being even more hyperbolic.

The bench that scored just 2 points against a bad Pitt team was missing one of its top 3 guys and got another one of them back from injury for a total of 10 minutes. We won by 27. We didn't really need bench scoring yesterday so yesterday is a bad example. Are you concerned that Trevon only scored 5 against this bad Pitt team, or that neither Wendell nor Bags had a double-double? Or do you understand that that's not really how statistical analysis works?

There's a world of difference between identifying specific improvements they need to make and claiming they haven't improved at all.

Reactions: jwill133
Cut to the chase, all of our starters are gone. We are getting better not worse, the stock of our players will be going up not down.

With that said we will be loaded next year. And yes Bolden and Javin are improving whether some see it or not. The latest stretch of missed games stinks but they are both progressing.

Depth to include AOC, Goldwire, White. We have a chance to be great this year, we have a chance to be great next year. Enjoy this time, it won’t be like this forever.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I agree. No way it will be like this forever. I just have to learn to curtail my expectations and remember these are teenagers. I get so caught up in feeling like it was a wasted year if teams like this year and next year don't bring home the title. I have GOT to learn how to enjoy season and base my feelings purely on the first Monday in April

Javin just needs to calm down on defense. He does a little too much and it gets him in trouble when the refs decide to call the game aggressively. But he's 1000% every time he hits the floor. Can't knock him for that

Javin just needs to calm down on defense. He does a little too much and it gets him in trouble when the refs decide to call the game aggressively. But he's 1000% every time he hits the floor. Can't knock him for that
7.6 fouls per 40 minutes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT