ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis and Penny - Now Clear Leader for Duren, Bates and Livingston

bmbritt

Cameron Crazy
Feb 5, 2003
If Penny pulls the above off, Memphis will have the best class since we had RJ, Zion, Reddish and Tre Jones. Better for us that Duren and Livingston end up at Memphis versus Kentucky. Will be interesting to see how these pieces fall and how that effects other top prospects.

Reactions: christophero
As I joked on RR, Bates' top 4 are G league, G League, G League and G League. But yeah, that would be a heck of a class.
Think that’s what most schools have been thinking since he decommitted from Michigan State and why he hasn’t gotten a ton of attention from major programs. With the NIL, if Penny is the one coach to correctly guess that Bates is leaning towards college versus G League then it will be seen as a brilliant recruiting move. If he goes pro, nothing gained and thus nothing lost.

The longer this goes with Bates not announcing that he’s going pro, the more interesting this choice gets. Being able to offer Bates the opportunity to play with Duren and Livingston has got to be an interesting idea, as I’m sure that he remembers all the coverage that our team got with Zion, RJ, Cam and Tre.

Think that’s what most schools have been thinking since he decommitted from Michigan State and why he hasn’t gotten a ton of attention from major programs. With the NIL, if Penny is the one coach to correctly guess that Bates is leaning towards college versus G League then it will be seen as a brilliant recruiting move. If he goes pro, nothing gained and thus nothing lost.

The longer this goes with Bates not announcing that he’s going pro, the more interesting this choice gets. Being able to offer Bates the opportunity to play with Duren and Livingston has got to be an interesting idea, as I’m sure that he remembers all the coverage that our team got with Zion, RJ, Cam and Tre.
I bet those classes at Memphis make Aa studies at UNC in the 90s and 00s look like Harvard Medical School

Or it could just be a way for them to cruise and not have to worry about the academic parts . It’s not like any of them plan on being in school past six months anyway.

Or it could just be a way for them to cruise and not have to worry about the academic parts . It’s not like any of them plan on being in school past six months anyway.
Isint that what UNC is for? Lol

Reactions: KDSTONE
The days of academics are over. There’s little difference in schools anymore. Get the talent, and pray they keep their noses clean for the short time they are there.

Let the sh%^ show officially begin.

I lurk on several boards and they are all the same. If their school gets a recruit it is because of great recruiting, if a rival school pulls in recruits it is because they are cheating. I hear it about us too.

We better watch out what we say. I bet Duke is playing up the NIL angle in recruiting too. Im sure Duke pitches the lasting benefit of being in the Brotherhood but we are doing what everyone else is doing, in order to stay competitive.

You know UK fans are freaking out
Some think they let Cockburn get away, although it sounds to me like it was always Illinois. But you don't turn down a guy like Cockburn. I don't think Cal did. Can you imagine us with Cockburn? (insert joke here) Williams for 25 and him for 15 minutes. We'd be unstoppable. But he wants to start. (Obviously he is an All American)

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
This is a Zion type class, and they already had several good players. If Boogie Ellis had stayed they would be a superteam. They just need a pg.

My greatest joy of last year was watching my usually demure girlfriend injure an abdominal muscle when she read COCKBURN on his Jersey.

Reactions: GAAP
This is a Zion type class, and they already had several good players. If Boogie Ellis had stayed they would be a superteam. They just need a pg.
I don’t know about a super team but they look good on paper.
They do have a lot of size . It will be interesting to see how their rotation goes the smallest person with experience is 6’ but someone else took over at the point for Ellis I think it was one of their 6’5 guards.

Last edited:
They also have Nolly and 3 of their top 5 scorers back. I would put them at 3 preseason. Behind Gonzaga and UCLA.

Last edited:
They also have Nolly and 3 of their top 5 scorers back. I would put them at 3 preseason. Behind Gonzaga and UCLA.
Is Nolly a 3 or a 3/4 ? Bates is looked at as a 3/4 as well . It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

My greatest joy of last year was watching my usually demure girlfriend injure an abdominal muscle when she read COCKBURN on his Jersey.

They tried to church it up by always pronouncing it "Coeburn," but we know what it says.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Their PG is the weak link. Perhaps he will start, but not play a lot. Gary Parrish of CBS sports said that Bates wants to play some PG

Boogie transferred to USC, otherwise known as the home for wayward Duke guards. Bates could play the point like Penny did, but it is not ideal. They would be like an nba team. Roach could not guard Bates, but we could put Wendell on him.

Last edited:
Boogie transferred to USC, otherwise known as the home for wayward Duke guards. Bates could play the point like Penny did, but it is not ideal. They would be like an nba team. Roach could not guard Bates, but we could put Wendell on him.
I appreciate your devotion to Duke basketball and please don’t be offended but Laeetner and Battier ain’t walking through that door. I could go down to the local rec center and find five guys who can shoot better than these guys that coach has been recruiting of late

I appreciate your devotion to Duke basketball and please don’t be offended but Laeetner and Battier ain’t walking through that door. I could go down to the local rec center and find five guys who can shoot better than these guys that coach has been recruiting of late
I agree. I will say that some players can’t adapt their game like in years past with only one year of college. Trying to get players to expand their game and refine it seems to take longer now.

I agree. I will say that some players can’t adapt their game like in years past with only one year of college. Trying to get players to expand their game and refine it seems to take longer now.
One valid argument against recruiting obvious OAD's. OFC

One valid argument against recruiting obvious OAD's. OFC
You see it when they get to the league as well. It takes them longer to adjust and refine their game. It is what it is now .

I think some of the recent recruits (Reddish, AOC, Joey) had the rep of being good shooters and didn't pan out in college. It happens. If any of them had shot lights out (and been able to stay on the court) we would have hung a banner in Zion's year.

If any of them could hit the side of a barn we would have won Zion's year.
They could however, Reddish stayed hurt most the year and Baker and O’Connell barely saw the floor. It’s the price you pay for having all stars on the court and only calling on players when needed.
most players confidence fades with bench sitting, lack of production and what ever else mental blockage they end up having . Alex’s confidence was shot every game outside of Syracuse and Baker tries way to much to be a good teammate which leads to bone headed passes to turnovers instead of simply shooting the ball .
any body can have a game plan for a player but they can’t play for them once they are on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT