ADVERTISEMENT

Love this team!

BlueDevils725

Starter
Jan 12, 2015
Man I love this team. The Zion hangover is finally starting to go away, and I can honestly say I'm really hyped about this year. Our defense is absolutely incredible, our offense is starting to click, it's just a thing of beauty to see. It's rare Dukes defense is this in-sync this early on in the season and I couldn't be more proud of our guys! It seems like our guys are way more cohesive than the past 2-3 years we've had, maybe i'm just crazy but it definitely seems that way.

Our 3 point shooting was actually pretty good tonight too :).

Oh and UK lost to Evansville.

Great night to be a duke fan.

This team plays together so well, offense & defense. I'm sure there are going to be a few bumps in the road, but I believe we're positioned well with our depth and versatility.

And no one will take the place of Zion, but Ca$hius is very special in his own way.

5GLIuFL.jpg

OFC

This team seems to be shaping up into what we thought/hoped it could be. The freshman are very good (Moore still forcing a bit but you can see the talent) and Cassius, Hurt and Carey possess mature games already. And the vets have all improved and mesh well. Goldwire shone tonight, as did AOC. They are playing like upperclassmen.

This team plays together so well, offense & defense. I'm sure there are going to be a few bumps in the road, but I believe we're positioned well with our depth and versatility.

And no one will take the place of Zion, but Ca$hius is very special in his own way.

5GLIuFL.jpg

OFC

I certainly got Cash fever OAD! Love Cassius!

Man I love this team. The Zion hangover is finally starting to go away, and I can honestly say I'm really hyped about this year. Our defense is absolutely incredible, our offense is starting to click, it's just a thing of beauty to see. It's rare Dukes defense is this in-sync this early on in the season and I couldn't be more proud of our guys! It seems like our guys are way more cohesive than the past 2-3 years we've had, maybe i'm just crazy but it definitely seems that way.

Our 3 point shooting was actually pretty good tonight too :).

Oh and UK lost to Evansville.

Great night to be a duke fan.
I'm with you man. The Zion hangover is wearing off for me too. I love having a team with no alpha scorers and 10 guys who constantly pressure the ball. Everyone is free to work for the best shot and you see "non-scorers" putting the ball through the hoop (Goldwire, DeLaurier, etc.). Everyone seems to have bought in.

It's a big change that our offense is now "move the ball around and get the best shot" instead of give it to our best player and see what they can do with it. It's resulting in much better shots being taken and in the last two games at least a much better percentage.

I really expected there to be more growing pains with this group.

The thing I like most is when asked K said this team is built on their defense and allowing the offense to compliment off of it.

Really liked seeing him in the timeouts getting on the team for slow footing getting back on defense.

Work in progress but each game you can see improvement.

Reactions: BlueDevils725
The last two opponents haven't offered much resistance....so I'm still tempering expectations a bit.

Our defense is very good. Like, very good on a national level. We continue to get after it like that consistently throughout the season and we set up pretty nice.

I understand what everybody is meaning about not having that alpha guy....I really do. That said, all of our really great teams have had at least one or two of those guys. Don't get me wrong, balance and not feeling as though we need to rely on one or two players is a pleasant change, but there's going to be nights where we need that.

So far I've been impressed with a lot of our guys individually. Tre is an elite defender and is this team's unquestioned leader. Cassius has been far better than any of us could have hoped. The upperclassmen have provided valuable minutes and poise. Matthew and Vernon are natural scorers who haven't allowed themselves to force things yet. I expect Wendell to let the game come to him more and more each time out. And what about the pureness of Joey's shot? A thing of beauty and that release is so quick.

Like I said....the last two opponents we've clearly overmatched, but 3-0 is still 3-0. Eight days ago all of us would have took that.

I hear what you are saying DJ about the alpha, but from obviously a very small sampling of games I can see Cassius, Tre or Matthew all being guys that could fill that role when the time comes......and it will come.

Cassius has been "money" as other have said. He's so quick, and doesn't seem to force it. I am confident with the ball in his hands on the wing, down 1 with 15 seconds on the clock.

Tre has really shown that midrange game I so desperately wanted to see last year.

Hurt is just so confident and is tall enough to get his shot off over most defenders, especially with that high release.

I do think there will be a couple bumps in the road ahead, by damn it's good to be a Duke fan!!

The last two opponents haven't offered much resistance....so I'm still tempering expectations a bit.

Our defense is very good. Like, very good on a national level. We continue to get after it like that consistently throughout the season and we set up pretty nice.

I understand what everybody is meaning about not having that alpha guy....I really do. That said, all of our really great teams have had at least one or two of those guys. Don't get me wrong, balance and not feeling as though we need to rely on one or two players is a pleasant change, but there's going to be nights where we need that.

So far I've been impressed with a lot of our guys individually. Tre is an elite defender and is this team's unquestioned leader. Cassius has been far better than any of us could have hoped. The upperclassmen have provided valuable minutes and poise. Matthew and Vernon are natural scorers who haven't allowed themselves to force things yet. I expect Wendell to let the game come to him more and more each time out. And what about the pureness of Joey's shot? A thing of beauty and that release is so quick.

Like I said....the last two opponents we've clearly overmatched, but 3-0 is still 3-0. Eight days ago all of us would have took that.
Good Post. Very good through 3 games, but maybe pump the brakes just a bit is my thinking.

We have 5 players averaging double figures. '91, '92, '01 also had 5 players averaging double figures. 2015 had 4 players. The only outlier is 2010 where we did not a have single player average more than 6 points outside of Scheyer/Singler/Smith. To be clear, I am not comparing this team to any of the aforementioned championship squads other than the sharing of the scoring load. We have a long way to go to see what this team is made of and we will need some luck along the way. But this team is showing much more potential with each game. I don't think anyone has to apologize for having national title aspirations. We will be the number 1 team in the country on Monday. Based on early returns, I think we have as good a shot as anyone to cut down the nets in March.

But I think the point that is trying to be made is that by not having a ball-dominant alpha scorer, other guys are finding ways to contribute other than merely just supporting the superstar. On the plus side, we have a more balanced team, we should have better chemistry, and we should get easier shots because we are moving the ball. On the minus side, we don't have that go-to player who can get us a tough bucket in crunch time. I think a lot of fans find this team refreshing precisely because it is different than what we have been used. Couple that with the potential that a lot of guys will return next year, and I think the optimism is warranted.

Reactions: christophero
Enjoy Mr Stanley this year, if you know what I mean. There will likely be no year 2. He plays like a senior. Very impressed. 2 years older or not it's his first year of college basketball. It's early and things may change but we seem so much more poised, balanced and hard nosed than the past few years. I thought we were overrated preseason but many of our "ifs" have become reality, which is nice.

Last edited:
Basically, it's been a 10 player rotation this season. What should not be lost on us is that none of them feel like "supporting" roles.

Ten players taking ownership of the whole. It's a very powerful concept. Also, with so many fresh legs, they look like a bunch of hungry Pit Bulls out there on defense.

What is amazing is this team is in its infancy. There is a storm brewing in Durham. Beware the Devils in its midst.

Last edited:
The way Coach K has so quickly assimilated the new guys with the returning guys shows what a great coach he is. It's hard to tell who the freshmen are. The motion on offense is something we've been missing for a few years.

This group hustles, defends, and shares the ball. Yeah, it's only 3 games, but still, it's been fun watching. I'm not so sure about needing the 'alpha' type guy, or in the way a lot of folks think one is needed. To me, the key is having a leader, and we have that in Tre. There is no doubt, and as long as all the other guys know that, and feed off him, we can have as good a chance as any other team out there.
The problem with a team with one guy dominant, or even two, is the other guys get caught standing around watching, and we are screwed if they have an off game.
All 5 of K's title teams had multiple ways of beating you. The similarity all 5 teams had to this one: ball movement. The announcer said something last night I haven’t heard in a long time, that Duke passed up a good shot for a better one.

The question is going to be "will we improve from now to March?"

Last edited:
We have 5 players averaging double figures. '91, '92, '01 also had 5 players averaging double figures. 2015 had 4 players. The only outlier is 2010 where we did not a have single player average more than 6 points outside of Scheyer/Singler/Smith. To be clear, I am not comparing this team to any of the aforementioned championship squads other than the sharing of the scoring load. We have a long way to go to see what this team is made of and we will need some luck along the way. But this team is showing much more potential with each game. I don't think anyone has to apologize for having national title aspirations. We will be the number 1 team in the country on Monday. Based on early returns, I think we have as good a shot as anyone to cut down the nets in March.

But I think the point that is trying to be made is that by not having a ball-dominant alpha scorer, other guys are finding ways to contribute other than merely just supporting the superstar. On the plus side, we have a more balanced team, we should have better chemistry, and we should get easier shots because we are moving the ball. On the minus side, we don't have that go-to player who can get us a tough bucket in crunch time. I think a lot of fans find this team refreshing precisely because it is different than what we have been used. Couple that with the potential that a lot of guys will return next year, and I think the optimism is warranted.

All very fair points. Good post. And I'm not asking for anyone to apologize for national championship aspirations. I have them, too. And I'd agree with you....from the little I've saw the first week plus of the season, we do have as good of a shot as anyone.

Having an alpha guy shouldn't be perceived as a negative, though. I'm not saying I want someone to be like Bagley, Zion or R.J. most recent, or going back to J.J., Austin and say Jabari/Hood. Those types of players have incredible value, and while we admittedly weren't as good as we could have been with them, being able to score the ball at a high level is pretty valuable.

Now, to be clear, I'm not suggesting this team doesn't have a guy or two capable of being that player(s) on given nights. Cassius isn't going to shoot 80+ percent for the season, though....and we're not going to play Central Arkansas again.

There's really nothing not to like so far. We play defense with a purpose. We rebound. We make extra the pass. And lastly, we're immensely talented. All of the ingredients are right there in front of us....the one apprehension is going to be finding the one or two consistent offensive threats. Sometimes good defense gets beat by good offense and vice-versa.

But trust me....it's a problem right now I can live with through three games.

It’s certainly promising to look at the teams in the final 4 last year and remember that Texas Tech and Virginia were there (both teams we were clearly better than....grumble). Not sure we have a Culver or a Hunter on this year’s team but I would say we are definitely more talented throughout the lineup than either of those defense-first teams were and the level of competition in college basketball in general isn’t as high this season.

It’s also really promising that we don’t seem to be relying on Hurt or Carey to shoulder the scoring load as much as some of us may have thought. They will undoubtedly both get better as the year goes on but knowing that if a team is able to shut them down we can still find ways to win is a very good sign.

If we do need an “alpha” type player in any of our games, my vote is Cassius or Hurt. Those guys are super smooth!

I think there will be many games Cassius is too much to handle, that guy is quick as hell and has been a walking bucket so far.

If we do need an “alpha” type player in any of our games, my vote is Cassius or Hurt. Those guys are super smooth!

I think there will be many games Cassius is too much to handle, that guy is quick as hell and has been a walking bucket so far.
The only issue with Hurt I see and it became evident when he didn’t start is he needs to be consistent on the defensive end and I think he got the message especially in the second half getting on the floor for loose balls.

Stanley is just great and I also think Alex will feed off his and Moore’s confidence in him.

Just improve every game is all I want to see. Will and can this team loose? Sure can and will.

Like stated a good offense can negate a strong defense if the defense doesn’t stay committed especially when the bench was in, in the second half but that first half defense was just nasty.

The only issue with Hurt I see and it became evident when he didn’t start is he needs to be consistent on the defensive end and I think he got the message especially in the second half getting on the floor for loose balls.

Stanley is just great and I also think Alex will feed off his and Moore’s confidence in him.

Just improve every game is all I want to see. Will and can this team loose? Sure can and will.

Like stated a good offense can negate a strong defense if the defense doesn’t stay committed especially when the bench was in, in the second half but that first half defense was just nasty.
Yep. Coach K is clearly prioritizing defense. You bust your butt on defense, you will get minutes.

I love this team, I love the way they play together. It is so refreshing having a team that defends the way this team defends and plays hard for the full 40 minutes. I love having a deep team and I think this could really benefit us when we get to the dog days of late February.

I'm still gonna temper my expectations a bit, we will play Cal and either GTown/Texas next week, so that should be the next good chance to learn more about this team.
I saw that this Duke team has the most steals through 3 games since the 2006-2007 team, and I don't know how that makes me feel. Reason being, that was the worst Duke team in the past 20 years. They had to commit that hard to defense because they didn't have a lot of talent. And sure that works against Popcorn University, but you need a lot more than effort in the ACC, you need studs.
Again, I find it super refreshing to have a different type team than we have had the past few years. I do worry that our lack of scoring power could hurt us, and also our freshman hitting a wall during ACC play. But at the same time, college basketball is way down, I have yet to see an elite team, so I do love our chances at #6.

That 06-07 team hadn’t played a number 3 Kansas either.. this team has more leadership in their little toe then that one had overall. Our best player was a 6-10 PF that didn’t wanna be a PF

Advanced notice: this is a long post

I was looking at Duke’s stats through the first 3 games and I thought some of the stats were pretty interesting and it’ll be interesting to see how those stats change as the season wears on.

1) 12 out of the 14 players on the team have played this season (the only 2 that haven’t played are Michael Savarino (Redshirt) and Keenan Worthington (Walk on)).

2) 10 out of the 12 players that have played have scored points this season

3) 8 of the 10 players that have scored points have a field goal percentage of 40% or higher

4) 7 out of the 12 players that have scored are averaging 6.7ppg or better

5) 10 out of the 12 players that have played are averaging at least 10mpg

6) 4 out of the 8 players that have attempted free throws are shooting 75% or better

7) 6 out of the 8 players that have attempted 3 pointers are shooting 33% or better

8) 12 out of the 12 players have gotten rebounds

9) 10 out of the 12 players have gotten assists

10) 10 out of the 12 players have gotten steals

11) 6 out of the 12 players have gotten blocks

I know we’re only 3 games into the season but when I was looking through team stats I thought it was cool that so many players have been doing so many different things so far this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT