ADVERTISEMENT

Lets show some love for the assistant coaches

Apr 22, 2011
As a Duke basketball fan for 25 +yrs. it brings me great joy to look down the bench and see all these former players at Coach K's side. Brings back great memories and I'm sure they are a big part of Duke's success since they been there. All 4 year guys, almost all champions, ( sorry Coach Capel, .94 still haunts me too.) and you know they all love Duke and bleed blue. Anyway here are just a few random thoughts on each guy: Capel- never forget that behind the back, no look, bounce pass past two defenders to Lang for a lay up in the 94 tourney.Truly a blind pass ( most no look passes actually involve peripheral vision). Tough gritty guard, oh and he was key to beating Carolina in Cameron his senior year back when wins were hard to come by against them. James- warrior, big time in 99 and 2001 runs, remember beating Maryland 4 times in 2001, great battles, he was key in all of them,was and still is the man. Scheyer- fighter, remember him and the whole team getting punked by some dirty mid-maj his freshman year in the tourney, but he just got stronger and lead Duke to the glorious and unexpected 2010 title. Smith- Strollin Nolan, loved the whole 2010 team, but Nolan was money that year. Love his addition to the staff. Guess I rambled enough for my first post, use to post over at devils den or whatever the hell it's called now, but those guys are way too p.c. for me ( pompous c***s). I really dig the vibe over here much better.

Great 1st post (and thread), Devil you don't! You brought back some great memories with it. We're really fortunate to have such great former players as assistants. And they don't get nearly the credit they desire.

Oh, and welcome to the board! There are some pretty cool posters over here, and some knowledgeable ones to boot!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Welcome to the board! Great post & my only correction is we lost to Maryland in one of those games in 2001 but we won the ones that mattered most!!

Reactions: Dattier
Stunning first post — you’ve set your bar high.

Welcome, this is a great group of fans.

Welcome to the board! Great post & my only correction is we lost to Maryland in one of those games in 2001 but we won the ones that mattered most!!
You are right they beat us in Cameron that year. I stand corrected. The final four comeback win against them was probably one the most satisfying wins ( of the non Carolina variety) I can recall. They were a great team as basically the same team went on to win the 2002 title. Just hated them, more so the Maryland fans than the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT