ADVERTISEMENT

KU vs KState fight

You have to protect the home court. You cannot allow the little fellow from K State to steal the ball in the closing seconds
Protect the home court? From what? Is this a war zone ? They were up 22 points and in typical KU thug life fashion, they act like jerks. Show some class KU ( and I’m from Kansas )

This will be a great betting line in Vegas: how many games suspension for each player.

My guess? I looked at Kansas' schedule. 8 games for McCormick and DeSouza (get them back for the Baylor game and the tournament when the NCAA makes its real money) and a couple games for the other participants (the suspension will get them back before any major TV games are played).

I guess I'm a little cynical but that's what comes with being OFC.

There should definitely be some of those guys that don't play again this season. People talk about them being kids and making mistakes in the heat of the moment, but that's just emotional immaturity well below the level acceptable of any 18/19 year old.

I think everyone involved should be kicked off the team and some kicked out of school. If you act like this in a ball game how do you act when thousands and millions on tv aren’t watching??

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
Does the NCAA have any mandatory suspension rules about players leaving the bench to join in a fight like the NBA does?

I believe it’s up to the conferences, so the Big12 in this case. I was just reminded of the Xavier/Cincinnati brawl and players got 6,4, and 2 game suspensions. Not sure if this’ll be viewed much differently. I would think so because it went into the stands and De Sousa at least picked up the stool.
I doubt anyone gets kicked off a team or even suspended for the rest of the year as many talking heads have been calling for.

See link... read in the aftermath section for suspensions:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Crosstown_Shootout_brawl

Here’s the fight to jog memories:

Does anyone remember a Big Ten game years ago between Ohio St. and Minn. I think involving a pretty nice brawl. I think a player named Luke Whitt from Ohio St. got nailed pretty good. OFC

I remember that. Luke Witte. He got beat up severely. It was awful. Minnesota should have been severely punished but wasn't. If that happened today, those guys would not have played again.

Reactions: skysdad
I don't think the NCAA should let de Sousa play in the tournament. And maybe even 1-2 others on KU.

KU is an out of control program with Self at the helm at this point. The guy has a title not sure why he's letting things get so out of control there.

Ah......reminds me of the old days in the ACC. We had some good ones back then. Art Heyman and Larry Brown received some stiff suspensions one year.

Seriously, this was a bad one and I feel that some severe punishments should be handed down. I think it will be interesting to see how Self, Weber, the Big 12 and the NCAA handle it.

I remember that. Luke Witte. He got beat up severely. It was awful. Minnesota should have been severely punished but wasn't. If that happened today, those guys would not have played again.
The two guys who jumped Witte, were Ron Behagen, who offered to help him up off the floor and then kneed him in the groin as he helped him up, and Dave Winfield, later to become a Hall of Fame outfielder.

Silvio De Sousa was suspended for 12 games

David McCormack was suspended for 2 games

James Love was suspended for 8 games

Antonio Gordon was suspended for 3 games

Reactions: Showenuff
The two guys who jumped Witte, were Ron Behagen, who offered to help him up off the floor and then kneed him in the groin as he helped him up, and Dave Winfield, later to become a Hall of Fame outfielder.

I knew Winfield was on that Minn. team but never heard he was directly involved in hitting Witt? He did however get in some punches on another Ohio St. player. The guy that kneed Witt was Corky Taylor and the player that knocked Witt out was Ron Behagan. It was said that Witt had elbowed a Minn. player on the way to the locker rooms at halftime so it was payback. Just for general info Witt became a minister after his playing daysome were over. OFC

This is surprising. Way too lenient in my opinion.
I thought the same thing. I was sure that De Sousa would get suspended for the rest of the season, especially after picking up that chair/stool and lifting it over his head like he was about to hit someone with it until the assistant coach took it from him but he’ll be available to play in their final regular season game against Texas Tech and I thought McCormack would’ve also gotten a much longer suspension, possibly for the rest of the season also after stomping on a Kansas State player.

Those punishments are a joke, how did McCormack only get two games when he was in the corner kicking someone. People were crying for more than that for Grayson

Reactions: pisgah101
The KState guy that was in street clothes that ran on the floor first deserved a much longer suspension as well.

I knew Winfield was on that Minn. team but never heard he was directly involved in hitting Witt? He did however get in some punches on another Ohio St. player. The guy that kneed Witt was Corky Taylor and the player that knocked Witt out was Ron Behagan. It was said that Witt had elbowed a Minn. player on the way to the locker rooms at halftime so it was payback. Just for general info Witt became a minister after his playing daysome were over. OFC
Thanks for the correction Sky. I'm an old fart too so I knew I probably shouldn't rely on my hazy memory, but I was too lazy to Google the incident.

Very surprised the Big 12 did not want to make an example out of this. Everyone with a voice was calling for a season long suspension out of de Sousa. Disappointed that the Big 12 didn’t think standing over a guy taunting him, swinging wild punches at people, picking up a chair to bash over someone’s head, and then stomping on a helpless person trapped on the floor didn’t warrant more than 12 measly games. They must have been satisfied by the apology his attorney wrote for him.

Does anyone think that the NCAA could/will decide that they don’t believe that the players suspensions are long enough and decide to extend the players suspensions?

Because of who they are, Kansas is definitely dominating the headlines on this, but let's be clear....Kansas St. has a number of idiots involved too. It's not just a Jayhawk thing.

I don't think these suspensions are harsh enough primarily because the majority of the fight was off the court where there were spectators. If you want to fight, keep it on the court.

Reactions: Liftee and skysdad
I don't think these suspensions are harsh enough primarily because the majority of the fight was off the court where there were spectators. If you want to fight, keep it on the court.
To make things worse, the area where the brawl broke out was the area designated for fans with disabilities

Does anyone think that the NCAA could/will decide that they don’t believe that the players suspensions are long enough and decide to extend the players suspensions?

No and here's why. Look at what they did to unc cheater u . Absolutly nothing. OFC

No and here's why. Look at what they did to unc cheater u . Absolutly nothing. OFC
I get what you’re saying but as much as they screwed up by not punishing UNC for the academic scandal, the brawl happening near fans behind the basket physically endangered the safety of fans there to watch the game
To do that, they would be admitting they were wrong.....don’t see it happening!
I’m not sure what you mean? Do you mean admit they were wrong about how many games the players were suspended for? If that’s what you mean then it was the Big 12 that handed down the suspensions.

I get what you’re saying but as much as they screwed up by not punishing UNC for the academic scandal, the brawl happening near fans behind the basket physically endangered the safety of fans there to watch the game

I’m not sure what you mean? Do you mean admit they were wrong about how many games the players were suspended for? If that’s what you mean then it was the Big 12 that handed down the suspensions.

I'm sorry wasn't trying to compare the AFAM deal with the disabled section. I'm just saying that the NCAA is a joke .OFC

I'm sorry wasn't trying to compare the AFAM deal with the disabled section. I'm just saying that the NCAA is a joke .OFC
Oh I know you weren’t and I didn’t mean to imply that I thought you were saying that. That’s why I asked what you meant because I just wasn’t sure if you were talking about the suspensions resulting from the brawl.

To make things worse, the area where the brawl broke out was the area designated for fans with disabilities

I heard that. It makes it even more inexcusable. When I had both ankles in a cast and was non-weightbearing, I didn't move very quickly in the wheelchair. I was a terrible wheelchair driver and bumped into the walls a lot on turns, so I went slow and saved the paint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT