ADVERTISEMENT

Just something I'm curious about.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
As of late I find myself standing for our National Anthem even though I am not at the event where it is live. I stood tonight when it was sang before the All-Star game. I don't think one is not patriotic if they don't stand when they aren't at the event live just wondering. I also believe it is one's own choice whether to stand or not, just don't respect those who don't Our troops have fought and many have given up their lives for our choice. This may be one of those threads that does get out of hand. Hope it doesn't but if so a quick lock up would be nice. OFC

If you wish to stand, you of course should. I’ve always made sure to take a moment during the anthem to be thankful for some part of my life that where I live affords me, and how the people who have made that happen have made that happen. Having been both a sports fan and also having worked in sports for years, that’s a lot of moments of thanks.

Having said that, I do believe it is symbolic, and entirely up to the individual. If someone feels that there is an injustice or something in their country, I think it is perfectly within their rights to not stand, and in fact I think doing so is an expression that is both a uniquely American statement and also usually done out of a true love of country, and a desire to see it do better in some way. I do not think it is inherently insulting or disrespectful to anyone, and does not degrade what anyone else has done... it’s about that American and their relationship with their country.

Last edited:
Haha! For real. Nov 6 can’t come soon enough for this board
Nov = Duke, Vikings, hunting, thanksgiving , beans, and a baby! ....I’m probably forgetting something. MLB playoffs??? Cons = changing diapers. Lol

Reactions: pisgah101
Sky our generation was taught to respect our country and flag, not so much anymore. College football and basketball are about the only two sports I watch on tv.

Baseball is NOT boring. It's subtle. And that's all I have to say about that.

I disagree. The average time between pitches is 18.3 seconds, and the average game has 292 pitches. This means that roughly 90 minutes of the game is spent watching the pitcher, holding the ball around in his glove. This also doesn't account for change in batters, change in pitchers, pick-off attempts, instant replay, change in innings, etc. I only watch baseball during October... and even then, I DVR the games so I only have to watch 15 minutes or so.

Reactions: dukesince91
I disagree. The average time between pitches is 18.3 seconds, and the average game has 292 pitches. This means that roughly 90 minutes of the game is spent watching the pitcher, holding the ball around in his glove. This also doesn't account for change in batters, change in pitchers, pick-off attempts, instant replay, change in innings, etc. I only watch baseball during October... and even then, I DVR the games so I only have to watch 15 minutes or so.

I remember seeing a graphic a few years ago about a playoff baseball game, it said something like during the 4ish hour broadcast, the ball was actually in play for less than 15 minutes.

JJ Redick recently said on one of his podcasts that once his basketball career ends, he will never consider coaching, due to the amount of hours a coach must put in. He also said he will never shoot a basketball again once he retires. Did say he plans on attending a lot more Duke games though.

Believe he plans to go into media and also raise his kids in the Hampton's..must be nice.

Only a fraction of a football game's 60 minutes actually consists of action. Most of the time, the clock is running while the offense takes 40 seconds to decide what to do and lines up to do it.

Hockey probably has the best ratio of action-per-minute.

As for the original point, IMO, if the flag stands for anything it stands for the right to honestly dissent.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
I love this country and was raised to show the utmost respect for our flag. I'm old school. A promise is a promise, if you shake a mans hand it needs to be a firm handshake, obey the law, respect officers of the law, always say please and thank you, honor your mother and father, the list goes on and on, but it ends with Go Duke. If you have a problem with any of that, I can't help ya.

Minutes of live action per sporting event. Basketball and hockey would have the same ratio, though, as neither one has a running clock like football. Obviously there's 12 more minutes in hockey, but the games are a bit longer as they involve two 20-minute intermissions.

Action_Time_644x644.jpg

JJ Redick recently said on one of his podcasts that once his basketball career ends, he will never consider coaching, due to the amount of hours a coach must put in. He also said he will never shoot a basketball again once he retires. Did say he plans on attending a lot more Duke games though.

Believe he plans to go into media and also raise his kids in the Hampton's..must be nice.

That’s crazy to think you spend your whole life doing something and then you’ll never pick one up again.

Reactions: jwill133
Baseball haters: You can get to France for around $700. One way, of course......I wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy the pizza, bagels, catfish, and shrimp and grits over there. And say "hi" to Francois for me.
OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
That’s crazy to think you spend your whole life doing something and then you’ll never pick one up again.
Agreed. He's a perfectionist when it comes to shooting, obviously. Basically what he said, when he retires, his shot will no longer be perfect so he will never play basketball again.

Reactions: pisgah101
i stand up for the anthem but if somebody doesnt it wont ruin my day. FORCED patriotism= dictatorship. look at the countries who do that. russia and north korea. countries trump loves but not me. you should stand up because you love your country and your country loves you. unfortunately some people are not feeling it so in the america i love you are allowed to voice your opinion as long as you arent hurting anybody else. my opinion.

Baseball haters: You can get to France for around $700. One way, of course......I wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy the pizza, bagels, catfish, and shrimp and grits over there. And say "hi" to Francois for me.
OFC

That's a really weird post.

Baseball is boring as shit.

Reactions: dukedevilz
That's a really weird post.

Baseball is boring as shit.
We’re not too far away from it being the 5th most popular sport in America, behind soccer and hockey lol.

ESPN’s television contract with the MLB expires in 2021 I believe, and given the massive decrease in MLB tv ratings (seriously, go look at the numbers) it’s safe to say ESPN won’t have any association with the MLB after that.
Baseball is a regional sport now. Catch it on your regional fox sports channel or better subscribe to MLB tv.

FC Cincinnati (not even an MLS team until 2020) sold more season tickets this year than the Cincinnati Reds.
Also normally triples the Reds in attendance.
A MINOR LEAGUE SOCCER TEAM.

Last edited:
Minutes of live action per sporting event. Basketball and hockey would have the same ratio, though, as neither one has a running clock like football. Obviously there's 12 more minutes in hockey, but the games are a bit longer as they involve two 20-minute intermissions.

Action_Time_644x644.jpg
(not assuming you agree with what is being portrayed by the graphic, more a general reaction)
That's a cute graphic. I would say, however, it was made by someone who probably doesn't like football and/or doesn't understand it at all. There is far more going on between plays than the average fan can appreciate. Motions, audibles, personnel changes are all happening when there isn't "live action." To be a fair comparison, basketball would have to have that number reduced by counting time when the ball is being walked up by the point guard and soccer by time when the guys in the defensive end are just kicking the ball around.
Ignoring the time between plays in football is like seeing chess as just a couple guys moving pieces around. Much of the interesting stuff happens between plays.

Reactions: dukesince91
(not assuming you agree with what is being portrayed by the graphic, more a general reaction)
That's a cute graphic. I would say, however, it was made by someone who probably doesn't like football and/or doesn't understand it at all. There is far more going on between plays than the average fan can appreciate. Motions, audibles, personnel changes are all happening when there isn't "live action." To be a fair comparison, basketball would have to have that number reduced by counting time when the ball is being walked up by the point guard and soccer by time when the guys in the defensive end are just kicking the ball around.
Ignoring the time between plays in football is like seeing chess as just a couple guys moving pieces around. Much of the interesting stuff happens between plays.

The graphic was made by hockey enthusiasts. I think they were trying to sell hockey as the most active and exciting sport out there. I don't disagree with your assessments. Football is a very intense sport, and it can be very complicated when you get to the X's and O's. Commentators spend a great deal of time highlighting the different formations and packages, trying to inform the general audience on what certain formations can do for an offense. The average play is just a mere 4 seconds, so even though the total time is only 11 minutes, that actually makes for a quite a few action-packed highlights, because all of the live-action is run at 90 miles per hour. Nobody is walking the ball up-field in football. The only really delayed time is on punts, where the defensive team is waiting to milk every inch out of a punt that gets a favorable bounce.

Reactions: dukephysics
I enjoy football on television, in between plays there is still a lot going on.
However, going to a live football game is pretty terrible IMO. You really realize being at the stadium how long those scheduled commercial breaks are.

I enjoy football on television, in between plays there is still a lot going on.
However, going to a live football game is pretty terrible IMO. You really realize being at the stadium how long those scheduled commercial breaks are.
Not to mention freezing to death in the Northeast.
OFC

OFC

Yes, because we all know that baseball is America's #1 sport.

kothfiig8u20hhbxavevjg.png

i stand up for the anthem but if somebody doesnt it wont ruin my day. FORCED patriotism= dictatorship. look at the countries who do that. russia and north korea. countries trump loves but not me. you should stand up because you love your country and your country loves you. unfortunately some people are not feeling it so in the america i love you are allowed to voice your opinion as long as you arent hurting anybody else. my opinion.

This sums it up for me.

I love this country and was raised to show the utmost respect for our flag. I'm old school. A promise is a promise, if you shake a mans hand it needs to be a firm handshake, obey the law, respect officers of the law, always say please and thank you, honor your mother and father, the list goes on and on, but it ends with Go Duke. If you have a problem with any of that, I can't help ya.
Pretty much agree with ya here.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT