ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen opts out

The guys on ESPN didn't hold back tonight talking about it. I think that's a bad look, in my opinion. I don't want to throw off on the kid because we don't know the whole story. It is clear there were issues with his play of late. Whether that's related to his injury or off the court issues or both, we will probably never know the real story there. However, we can't ignore that there isn't some history with him leaving teams. So, we can all speculate as to what or why that is. None of us truly know. So I wish him the best with his future. My hope is to see the players we have continue to grow this season and come back stronger for next year.

We've kind of danced around this issue for months to be honest. I wish him well, but it's been a strange year. You want to assume the best; but there's just been so much smoke around this story.

As a UK fan I hope y’all lose every game of course but Jalen Johnson ain’t all that, he has some individual talent but not the player I would want on any of my teams personally. I think y’all get better. Addition by subtraction.

somewhat similar to the Rivers year I think y’all was a lot better they very next season with pretty much the same players when Rivers left to the league. Back to Jalen I think he’s a coward for quitting on his team Again but at least he’s honest & not sitting out for some exaggerated bogus injury like I strongly believe is going on with Clarke here a UK 🤦‍♂️

It’s only a matter of time before the truth comes out, cryptic tweets, shots are taken, a year later an ESPN exclusive 😂

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
Makes perfect sense to opt out. The college players he was going up against were making him look bad. Gotta hold on to his high draft pick to make that money
So clearly he’s ready for the NBA. What a joke.

Get. Rid. Of. The. One. And. Done. Rules.

Either straight out of high school or must go to college for at least two years. I’d like to see three years, but two would be a step in the right direction.

College basketball is a product that is getting worse by the year.

Last edited:
The game has changed so much in past 30 years but K has to be sorely disappointed that a talented kid just walked away from his program.

Reactions: christophero
I still can't wrap my head around how something like this happens. I can't help but wonder what's going on behind the scenes. Who's in the kid's ear, and how does he come to this as the only decision. There are ten games left in the season. He couldn't finish out 4 weeks? I just don't get it.

Either way, I am sure Jalen has a lot going on, and I hope he figures things out for himself. It will be interesting to see how the team responds. Maybe we get a spark like after Sulimon left?

For every player who says that there are 10 other players who appreciate, thank and understand the real fans for their support. Not internet trolls.
Athletes don’t really pay attention to fans like that. They appreciate the support but yet know fans will turn their back on you at then drop of a hat. This team has already called out the fanbase early this year. Before Jalen got here everyone was all on his nuts. The coaching staff failed him. They had no idea what to do with a 6’9 point guard. They assumed he was like all of the other stretch 4s of the past. A broadcaster said on the last game that he asked coach k why didn’t he play Jalen at the point and coach K said he didn’t get a chance to see him there. Must’ve forgot when he was recruiting him that he was a point guard smh. How you get 16 games into a season and every player except hurt still looks confused on their role for the team?

Kid sounds more mature than some of our “fans”

Q, I think I know what you mean and regard you as a good person and very cerebral about Duke hoops. I REALLY WANT to believe Jalen, but I cannot help but have some doubt about what' s truly in his HEART.

I certainly wish him well. I ultimately believe the real answer is whether the "Brotherhood" accepts Jalen. Probably right now a lot of the Duke Brotherhood have questions about Jalen's motivation.

OFC
#GoDuke

Either straight out of high school or must go to college for at least two years. I’d like to see three years, but two would be a step in the right direction.

I agree! The minor league basketball has hurt college basketball also.

It’s an NBA rule, so nothing the NCAA can do about it. Lot of speculation the NBA is going to allow high school players to declare again with the next CBA, but nothing about having to go to school for more than one year if you go that route, so there will still be one and dones, just not the ones we’ve gotten used to seeing over the last decade.

Other players. Came to Duke, didn’t perform to their level AKA Cam Reddish, but didn’t quit and it still worked out very well for him, so there is no need to quit on your team at this time of the year. Real men would gut it out and give it all to the very end!!
Cam while playing w/ his core injury averaged 14ppg 4rebs 2asts 2 stls while being the 3rd guy behind two 22ppg scorers

jalen and his family made the best decision for them...Good luck!!...whats the insight on the IMG situation?.....more minutes for Mark, Brake, and Coleman!!!!!

It’s an NBA rule, so nothing the NCAA can do about it. Lot of speculation the NBA is going to allow high school players to declare again with the next CBA, but nothing about having to go to school for more than one year if you go that route, so there will still be one and dones, just not the ones we’ve gotten used to seeing over the last decade.
I know it’s an NBA rule - the league is ruining college basketball.

Athletes don’t really pay attention to fans like that. They appreciate the support but yet know fans will turn their back on you at then drop of a hat. This team has already called out the fanbase early this year. Before Jalen got here everyone was all on his nuts. The coaching staff failed him. They had no idea what to do with a 6’9 point guard. They assumed he was like all of the other stretch 4s of the past. A broadcaster said on the last game that he asked coach k why didn’t he play Jalen at the point and coach K said he didn’t get a chance to see him there. Must’ve forgot when he was recruiting him that he was a point guard smh. How you get 16 games into a season and every player except hurt still looks confused on their role for the team?

Yeah I'll be honest, this is what's nagging at me a bit.

I'd like to ask all of you this, I'm genuinely curious what you all think because I don't know.

How much responsibility does Johnson have to adjust to what the coaches are asking/expecting, and how much responsibility do the coaches have to adjust to Johnson's strengths and experience?

For example... if Johnson has played point guard in high school and summer league, why not run him at point 20-30% of the time at Duke, instead of pigeonholing him to some kind of point forward hybrid that he's not used to, and is exacerbated by limited practice and game experience?

And conversely, what responsibility does he have to fully grasp what K's trying to teach, instead of him and his camp getting frustrated by his role?

I'm not trying to assign blame, it's not about that. Just trying to figure out if there were other ways to make this work better.

Reactions: df64
Duke recruited Roach and Steward to be our guards. They are gaining experience and adjusting to their roles. Johnson has not been on the bench other than the last game. If he were Magic Johnson like some seem to think we would have seen it. Jalen had plenty of chances to be a playmaker. I haven't seen Coach K this frustrated with a player in a long time. I wish him well but next play.

Yeah I'll be honest, this is what's nagging at me a bit.

I'd like to ask all of you this, I'm genuinely curious what you all think because I don't know.

How much responsibility does Johnson have to adjust to what the coaches are asking/expecting, and how much responsibility do the coaches have to adjust to Johnson's strengths and experience?

For example... if Johnson has played point guard in high school and summer league, why not run him at point 20-30% of the time at Duke, instead of pigeonholing him to some kind of point forward hybrid that he's not used to, and is exacerbated by limited practice and game experience?

And conversely, what responsibility does he have to fully grasp what K's trying to teach, instead of him and his camp getting frustrated by his role?

I'm not trying to assign blame, it's not about that. Just trying to figure out if there were other ways to make this work better.

The kid could not adjust to the college game consistently. He was never comfortable rebounding with players his size or bigger, he struggled deferring to other players, he demonstrated entitlement, and he was not willing to be coached. Yes, it sounds like a typical top tier player, however, most see the problem and adjust.

Parker, Duval, Sulaimon, Chris B and some others had the same issues. The difference is they at least tried. Some transferred, left early or sat on the bench. This kid could not adjust. COVID did not make it any better.

He also comes across to need fans in real time to push him.

Duke recruited Roach and Steward to be our guards. They are gaining experience and adjusting to their roles. Johnson has not been on the bench other than the last game. If he were Magic Johnson like some seem to think we would have seen it. Jalen had plenty of chances to be a playmaker. I haven't seen Coach K this frustrated with a player in a long time. I wish him well but next play.
i agree, i just didnt see a ball handler/creater at the college level....just seemed so unsure with the ball unless he had an advantage imo..could get away with it at the highschool level maybe playing lesser kids.....i wish the kid luck!

If there is a defined system and way of playing then the prerogative to recruit players who can be successful in that system is on the coaches. If the idea is to recruit the best players and then design a system around their strengths and not fit a round peg into a square hole, then that is also the responsibility of the coaches. Each player should fit a specific need. The player also has a say in where they play, so they need to be 100% certain that they are committing to a program that will help them succeed, grow and compete. In this case, it would seem some of these elements were missing for some reason. I say this having been a part of a D1 program that recruited HS athletes....its an art not science for sure!

I hear you but I don't remember guys like Battier and Carrawell and James having this attitude. They did whatever the team needed. To give a more recent example Hurt and Moore have pretty much done everything asked of them, even things they are not comfortable with, and have eventually thrived.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Dont blame the kid.
Blame the coaching staff that are recruiting these kids.
kids who are more interested in looking cool than winning
now we suck

Why not call the kid a coward??? thats what he is

Why attack a 19 year-old kid that way though? It's clear there's more to this. I think we should all wait to find out what exactly went down. I say that knowing we may never truly find that out either. Jalen clearly has some history with leaving teams. There is no denying that. However, this could've been solely injury related. I don't think it is, but it could've been. So I think it's a bad look to call him a coward a few hours after the news comes out. Again, that's my opinion though.

He’s not Magic Johnson as much as he is Jalen Johnson lol

Why attack a 19 year-old kid that way though? It's clear there's more to this. I think we should all wait to find out what exactly went down. I say that knowing we may never truly find that out either. Jalen clearly has some history with leaving teams. There is no denying that. However, this could've been solely injury related. I don't think it is, but it could've been. So I think it's a bad look to call him a coward a few hours after the news comes out. Again, that's my opinion though.
I wouldn’t call Jalen a coward but I’m totally fine with fans being angry. We are emotionally attached to Duke way more than we are any one player

I wouldn’t call Jalen a coward but I’m totally fine with fans being angry. We are emotionally attached to Duke way more than we are any one player

Well, it was a journalist who initially called him a coward in his story yesterday about the matter. I took issue with that. No, I don't think fans, angry or not, should call him a coward either. They're certainly entitled to have their opinion and can say whatever they want to though. Personally, I think it's a bad look when we attack a kid calling him a coward. But, again, that's me. Do I think there's more to this than the injury? Yes, I do. I also think K/Staff handled it as best they could've under the circumstances. Also, believe me, there's no one more passionate about Duke than this guy. I can get a little nuts when we win or if we lose. I can still remember my cousin leaving the house quickly after the '04 Final Four loss to UCONN. 17 years later and I still bristle at the thought of that one, haha

Reactions: skysdad
Jalen made he decision and I'm fine with that. No I don't think of him as a coward but I just wish he had never came to Duke in the 1st place with what we know now. If they would go ahead and get rid of the one and done and require those who do go to college for 3 years or at least 2 things like this would not happen. The topic of Jalen will probably be discussed for a while but he is moving on , the Duke basketball program is moving on and maybe we Duke fans should move on too. Possible positive things that may happen is guys like Coleman, Brakefield and Williams will take this and expand their game. Baker has an opportunity to rise up too. Looking forward to our next game against Wake. OFC

Well, it was a journalist who initially called him a coward in his story yesterday about the matter. I took issue with that. No, I don't think fans, angry or not, should call him a coward either. They're certainly entitled to have their opinion and can say whatever they want to though. Personally, I think it's a bad look when we attack a kid calling him a coward. But, again, that's me. Do I think there's more to this than the injury? Yes, I do. I also think K/Staff handled it as best they could've under the circumstances. Also, believe me, there's no one more passionate about Duke than this guy. I can get a little nuts when we win or if we lose. I can still remember my cousin leaving the house quickly after the '04 Final Four loss to UCONN. 17 years later and I still bristle at the thought of that one, haha
You had to bring up the 2004 Final Four didn’t ya Smh

I was one who thought he was gone in December to be honest . Never really thought he’d make it to campus. Best of luck to the young man.

Reactions: skysdad
This news is pretty frustrating, though I'm not sure it'll affect the team very much, we seemed to be just as good without Jalen. Our upside (that we were probably not gonna reach this year) is gone, but hopefully this brings our current guys closer. I'm a younger guy, I love Duke basketball, and I also follow and love the NBA. For the whole OAD era, I have defended the kids who leave early because I feel it's the right thing to do and chasing the dream of being an NBA player is a lot more important than playing for Duke in the ACC, it just is.

I just can't behind Jalen. He quit on IMG, I believe he attended 3-4 High Schools? And now he quits on Duke, Coach K, and his teammates with just a few weeks left in the season. He didn't have to come to college, he could have gone to the G-League or Overseas. Duke is asking for 6 solid months of dedication, hard work, and commitment to the basketball program. I don't think Duke asked for much. And we all knew the deal, he was only here 1 year and I don't think anyone minded that.

Look....the One and Done system and the issues that college basketball is facing are not going anyway anytime soon. The product is getting weaker by the year. However, the kids in the college basketball system need to be more committed. The transfer window has become like free agency, everyone bailing on their programs if they aren't being coddled like little babies. Guys are leaving school when they have 0.0% chance of being drafted. College basketball will become a better brand again whenever the 18/19 year olds in our society grow up a little bit and stop acting like they should just be given whatever they want.

Last edited:
This news is pretty frustrating, thought I'm not sure it'll affect the team very much, we seemed to be just as good without Jalen. Our upside (that we were probably not gonna reach this year) is gone, but hopefully this brings our current guys closer. I'm a younger guy, I love Duke basketball, and I also follow and love the NBA. For the whole OAD era, I have defended the kids who leave early because I feel it's the right thing to do and chasing the dream of being an NBA player is a lot more important than playing for Duke in the ACC, it just is.

I just can't behind Jalen. He quit on IMG, I believe he attended 3-4 High Schools? And now he quits on Duke, Coach K, and his teammates with just a few weeks left in the season. He didn't have to come to college, he could have gone to the G-League or Overseas. Duke is asking for 6 solid months of dedication, hard work, and commitment to the basketball program. I don't think Duke asked for much. And we all knew the deal, he was only here 1 year and I don't think anyone minded that.

Look....the One and Done system and the issues that college basketball is facing are not going anyway anytime soon. The product is getting weaker by the year. However, the kids in the college basketball system need to be more committed. The transfer window has become like free agency, everyone bailing on their programs if they aren't being coddled like little babies. Guys are leaving school when they have 0.0% chance of being drafted. College basketball will become a better brand again whenever the 18/19 year olds in our society grow up a little bit and stop acting like they should just be given whatever they want.
Very well said.

Reactions: jwill133
I’m shocked and disappointed a bunch of people are happy he’s leaving. Things like this aren’t good for the program no matter how much you didn’t like his game. This sucks, hope the team can push on.

The season was a wash and he was gone anyway after this year. He was not going to help the future for this team of players and so he might as well leave. This is the problem with immature, OAD players.

If he was not going to be a team first player while he’s here, then he should go. I don’t know what K tells these players when he recruits them these days, but I think for the sake of the players on the team you want a kid who is going to be a team first while he is here and not thinking about his NBA future. That’s not to say to have no concern - if injured.

The fact is no one and done player is really good for the program, given how K uses them because they hog so money minutes from developmental three and four year players. I don’t think it hurts the program because the program is better suited if it develops talent rather than trying to grab three or OAD players who have very little shot at winning a title. be then you have those guys transfer when they don’t get minutes. That hurts the program just as much of not more.

This news is pretty frustrating, thought I'm not sure it'll affect the team very much, we seemed to be just as good without Jalen. Our upside (that we were probably not gonna reach this year) is gone, but hopefully this brings our current guys closer. I'm a younger guy, I love Duke basketball, and I also follow and love the NBA. For the whole OAD era, I have defended the kids who leave early because I feel it's the right thing to do and chasing the dream of being an NBA player is a lot more important than playing for Duke in the ACC, it just is.

I agree to some degree, but I have no problem with a kid who comes to Duke, who is, say, a top 30-50 ranked recruit but not a one and done, and he keeps seeing one and done players recruited over him and never gets any playing time for 2-3 years. I think that’s a deeper problem at Duke. You don’t see a whole lot of that at schools that our top 20 programs but get very few want it done players, they simply develop those guys and they stay three or four years. I think Duke would be better suited to try to get one top recruit a year and have a bunch of third and four year players getting minutes and playing alongside the player. The program would do better, make more NCAA runs, with fewer transfers because a freshman who is a 35th ranked player and comes to Duke will have some confidence that if he works hard, by his second or third year he’ll be getting significant minutes and playing time. I think we need fewer players like a Jalen Johnson and fewer top 10 recruits in a given year in general. They aren’t going to lead Duke to a title, they don’t have the maturity and don’t play defense or understand team defense concepts; all they are going to do is interest more one and done types who see Duke as merely a steppingstone to get some notoriety and become a lottery pick. That hurts the program, it makes for a poorer product on the basketball court, and rarely leads to an exciting NCAA tournament for the program.

in fact, if I were Coach K, I would tell a top 10 recruit that we want you, but you’re not gonna play 35 minutes a game and take all the minutes away from a 50th ranked player who is a junior or senior. You’re going have to learn to play defense, and be a team player.

It’s having two or three one and done types to take all the minutes that hurt the program and hurt college basketball as a whole.

Why not call the kid a coward??? thats what he is
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't know Jalen or his situation enough to know if he is a coward or not and am guessing you probably wouldn't say that to his face . This may not have even been his decision. Kids get bad advice all the time from parents and most of the time they are the ones calling the shots in these type of situations. A guy sitting behind a keyboard calling a teenager a coward, without truly knowing anything.......maybe that seems cowardly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT