ADVERTISEMENT

It amazes me

DukefanKY

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 4, 2011
Central Ky
that just last week, even this week, there were so many posts about how well Barrett and Zion share the ball....and in literally one minute, there are posts all over the place about how selfish RJ is and a ball hog.

I don't agree with the last 3 possessions of the game, but after 6 games, of being very happy with the chemistry, how much these guys seem to like each other, and the unselfishness we have seen, I an just not ready to do that 180.

This is a good problem to have. Many a teams wished they had players like we do that compete for shots. If K can handle a team with LeBron, Kobe, Melo, et al. I think he can figure this one out. We’ll see a much more polished product come March and April.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Can we not be critical of our players while still appreciating them? Jesus man, with some of you, it's like they're mutually exclusive concepts.
We can definitely be critical. I’m just saying I’m happy with the critiques we’re forced to make.

By nature, people are reactionary and hyper-critical when things don’t go exactly as they feel they should. That’s nothing new.

People who do, in fact, think RJ is selfish and a ball hog just aren’t very smart. No sense is trying to reason with them. RJ has a tough game and really tough last 90 seconds. It doesn’t define him, however.

I really like this team. IMO, I see the potential for something very special. It’s going to come from taking a few lumps, though. That’s the hardest part about the process. Unfortunately, I anticipate more losses.

Reactions: skysdad
By nature, people are reactionary and hyper-critical when things don’t go exactly as they feel they should. That’s nothing new.

People who do, in fact, think RJ is selfish and a ball hog just aren’t very smart. No sense is trying to reason with them. RJ has a tough game and really tough last 90 seconds. It doesn’t define him, however.

I really like this team. IMO, I see the potential for something very special. It’s going to come from taking a few lumps, though. That’s the hardest part about the process. Unfortunately, I anticipate more losses.
You actually think that if someone feels like RJ is hesitant to give up the ball when he should that makes them not smart?

I like this team, actually like it more than I thought I would. Not gonna lie, didn’t like the ending. I liked the kids getting punched early. They fought back.
The talent is there, but we have Zion, and no one else has anyone close to him.
He’s so freaking special.

You actually think that if someone feels like RJ is hesitant to give up the ball when he should that makes them not smart?

Can you read? If so, read it again.

Here’s what I said....

“People who do, in fact, think RJ is selfish or a ball hog just aren’t very smart.”

He’s not selfish. He’s not a ball hog. He is a ball dominant player and volume shooter. Neither of those two things mean selfish or ball hog.

Look, he had a forgettable performance today....especially at the end.

But, yes, to answer your question....I don’t think you’re very smart if you feel he’s selfish and a ball hog.

Here’s what I said....

“People who do, in fact, think RJ is selfish or a ball hog just aren’t very smart.”

He’s not selfish. He’s not a ball hog. He is a ball dominant player and volume shooter. Neither of those two things mean selfish or ball hog.

But, yes, to answer your question....I don’t think you’re very smart if you feel he’s selfish and a ball hog.

So he wasn’t selfish the last minute of the game ?

Here’s what I said....

Selfish is a judgment call. But what you call "ball dominant" is ball hog, and what you call "volume shooter" is someone who shoots too much. His Offensive efficiency is worse than Javin's, lol.

I have hope - Tatum played the exact same way the first half of the season and he turned out just fine. I'm confident that will happen with RJ, hopefully before ACC season starts.

So he wasn’t selfish the last minute of the game ?

Maybe there’s confusion on my part. When someone says, “player A is selfish and a ball hog,” I take that to mean they think he’s selfish and a ball hog. That doesn’t mean there aren’t moments where player A doesn’t try to do to much or makes mistakes.

I’ll maintain that RJ’s not selfish or a ball hog....but he clearly played poorly the last 90 seconds and forced.

Here’s what I said....

We've never had a problem, so I'm not sure why your tone comes off as so cantankerous.

Reactions: PixelDevil
Maybe there’s confusion on my part. When someone says, “player A is selfish and a ball hog,” I take that to mean they think he’s selfish and a ball hog. That doesn’t mean there aren’t moments where player A doesn’t try to do to much or makes mistakes.

I’ll maintain that RJ’s not selfish or a ball hog....but he clearly played poorly the last 90 seconds and forced.

That makes more sense and I agree with this

We've never had a problem, so I'm not sure why your tone comes off as so cantankerous.

You’re the one who called me a dick. And I know, I know....you’ve deleted it.

I don’t mean to come across cantankerous. And, I don’t have a problem with you. But I was just laying out for you what I posted, because you clearly didn’t understand it. That could be on my wording, too....I don’t know.

You’re the one who called me a dick. And I know, I know....you’ve deleted it.

I don’t mean to come across cantankerous. And, I don’t have a problem with you. But I was just laying out for you what I posted, because you clearly didn’t understand it. That could be on my wording, too....I don’t know.

I didn't mean that and knew it wasn't constructive to anything.

Anyway, fair enough.

To me, saying a player is selfish or a ball hog is kind of like saying that they have the mentality that they won't pass BECAUSE they want the points, attention, to be the hero, think their teammates are terrible, etc. I think that is a very different thing than a player who is, as dukiejay says, a ball dominant, volume shooter who needs to learn and develop as a play maker to get others involved. A selfish player is only in it for himself and to get his, I don't think RJ is that player. I do think he needs to learn and adapt his style of play to make the team better. He's young, he'll learn and grow.

Here's a comment from Coach K after the Army game that I think addresses it very well and I agree with him
On if the talented players were putting on a show:
“No, no, no. I think when you’re not playing well, because they’re good, they can take it on themselves to make the play instead of having to coordinate a play, they’re good enough to make an individual play. These guys are not trying to show off. The other thing is their defense was really kind of a match-up man, in other words, they clogged driving lanes. They came back, even though they’re man, they switched a lot, always open, you could make passes on the perimeter, but when you put the ball on the floor, there was more traffic. One of the teams in Canada did that to us, so again, you’re learning to play with that. These kids weren’t trying to show off or anything like that. One, we wouldn’t do that, we wouldn’t allow that, but two, they’re good kids, but hey, we’re not playing well, I can do this right now, I can get going. Some of that is really good, but if we can coordinate it to ‘Come on, now we can do it’, and that’s another form of talking, where when one of your outstanding players during that time brings them together and says we’re going to do this now, instead of saying I’m going to do it, that’s the evolution of where we have to get. Talk and communication is huge in teaching not just this team, but any team.”

I probably should revise some of my earlier comments. I absolutely think he forces often. However, K is drawing up plays to get the ball to him. We were going to him when we should have been going to Zion or Tre, imo. The last time Zion got the ball, he tied the game. After that it was 3-4 straight attempts to RJ if I remember correctly. Zion has a higher chance of finishing at the rim and he has a higher chance of hitting his free throws.

We can't get in the habit of playing hero ball. The unselfishness was one of the things that blew me away in the UK game. Tonight the team had 9 assists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 skerz 3
I probably should revise some of my earlier comments. I absolutely think he forces often. However, K is drawing up plays to get the ball to him. We were going to him when we should have been going to Zion or Tre, imo. The last time Zion got the ball, he tied the game. After that it was 3-4 straight attempts to RJ if I remember correctly. Zion has a higher chance of finishing at the rim and he has a higher chance of hitting his free throws.

We can't get in the habit of playing hero ball. The unselfishness was one of the things that blew me away in the UK game. Tonight the team had 9 assists.
Well said! The best player in the country didn’t touch the ball after he tied the game with 1:40 left. That’s the frustrating part to some of us.

To me, it's about decision making and shot selection whenever the ball is in your hands at the top of the key. RJ takes alot of contested shots at the rim, just look at the past several games. That's not be bashing him, just stating the obvious. BUT I would just like to see him drop a dime whenever the lane closes in on him. But he's a kid learning college basketball. He will understand going forward, the coaches will point this out to him, and he will get better at that decision making. But this loss isnt back breaking. It will do WAY WAY WAY WAY more good than hurt. It will make this team 10 times more ready for a tight game.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
People in this thread are talking like this was a last 90 minutes type of thing, but it wasn't. The guy rarely passes throughout most games. This was also a theme and something brought up multiple times in earlier game threads, even before the San Diego State game despite someone also saying in this thread that it wasn't an issue until then.

RJ is a phenomenal player and he'll improve with the whole passing deal, but there's nothing wrong with pointing this out. I had friends of two different teams other than Duke messaging me during the game and talking with me about it afterward and they pointed out his inability to pass to teammates. Most of the incidents they pointed out happened throughout the Gonzaga game.

But he's a kid learning college basketball. He will understand going forward, the coaches will point this out to him, and he will get better at that decision making.

I see this said sooo much about freshmen players, but I don't understand it in the slightest. This isn't a college basketball type of thing. It's a basic team sports concept. These kids, especially the stars like RJ, have been playing basketball competitively for 10 years or more. They know that no matter how great you are, if you're in trouble on the court and you keep making the same mistake again and again, you pass the ball.

This isn't something a college coach needs to teach. "Oh they're just young" or "they're just adjusting to a different type of ball" are weak excuses. I get that many of these star freshmen were HUGE deals in the area where they came from and they were probably not used to passing that much since they were dominating players that were terrible in comparison, but that doesn't mean they don't know how to pass.

RJ is absolutely deadly in the open court while in transition. I'd be curious to know what his percentages are operating in a half court set up. He definitely has a tendency to force shots and he isn't effecient from three yet. Some are acting like this was just in the last 90 seconds of one game but it's not. He can slash like nobodies business, but until he starts finishing more in traffic and/or becoming reliable from the line, he needs to look to pass more.

Last edited:

I don't think R.J. is selfish in any way. He's always been the best player on his team at all levels. Even with Zion's play I feel R.J. is the best player we have. With that said he is used to taking the big shot and he did it three times and didn't make one of them.He had other options and could have gotten it to a team mate but just didn't. I still want the ball in his hands when the situation is called for. Now I'm just guessing but I think that R.J. already realizes that he could have gave the ball up. He had been driving all night and got the foul at times. He also made some big baskets earlier in the game. For it to be he's selfish is ridiculous. Coach K at some point will sit down with the team and view what happened and with the G.O.A.T. observation point out those observations. If R.J. had made those baskets we would not even be discussing this. It's funny how one thread suggesting R.J. has attitude problems balloons into criticism that he is selfish. I think we need to work on our attitudes on this board. Say what you got to say and move on. With that being said I'm moving on. OFC

I hate when I start a thread that causes animosity among our posters, especially regulars and good posters. We don't have to agree on everything, I was just calling it like I see it. RJ has had 3 games out of 6 so far where he has had 5 or more assists. I agree whole heartedly that he has took some shots he shouldn't have, probably more than anyone else on the team. I just think selfish is a little harsh. If what I am calling "bad decisions", continue throughout the year, then who knows, I may start thinking selfish too. For me it's just too early and been too many good passes that led to points for me to label him that way. Anyway, I think this whole team really wants to win. And they are going to....a lot.
There is one thing I can't help but wonder about though....had RJ gotten an and one and hit the free throw to win the game last night, would we even be having this conversation?

"Selfish ball hog" is definitely unwarranted at this stage, 6 games in.

At the same time, the last 90 seconds is also underplaying the problems in that game. I think there were several plays throughout the game, not just the last 90 seconds, that Barrett was too selfish. He didn't go 9-25 in the last 90 seconds. But, it also was not just Barrett (though he was the major culprit in forcing shots).

I hope K will run tape to show how many times these guys drive and take super difficult shots - with 4 players surrounding them and a teammate standing at the 3 point line ready to fire.

It's not just Barrett - all four of the freshman have had drives where they were surrounded, should have kicked it out for an easy 3 and they didn't. I think if Duke is to win it all, they will need to learn to be aware of the D collapsing and how to perform a kick out pass when that happens. As well as having the trust in their teammates.

K could do a better job of movement from these guys. One drives and the others stand around. The one person who seems really aware and is doing his job is Jack White. He's a glue man this year for this team.

Reactions: Dattier
that just last week, even this week, there were so many posts about how well Barrett and Zion share the ball....and in literally one minute, there are posts all over the place about how selfish RJ is and a ball hog.

I don't agree with the last 3 possessions of the game, but after 6 games, of being very happy with the chemistry, how much these guys seem to like each other, and the unselfishness we have seen, I an just not ready to do that 180.
They said that because they were winning. RJ needs to shoot a little less and create more. Ball movement is important and he can be a bit of a ball stopper in the half court offense.

Reactions: Mpm277
What none of know for sure is does RJ have the green light to drive to the basket in an attempt to pick up a couple of free throws or has he been told to dish it off if he's covered like he was his last 3 attempts. I cant believe K is hoping for RJ to get to the free throw line because he is only a 62% free throw shooter so he is definately being ball hoggish and should look to dish off. RJ is simply not used to going us against experienced and tall shot blockers like ZAGA has.

I didn’t really mind RJ having the ball I just wish he made a better decision. I rather Tre to have the ball because he would’ve made a better decision. He would’ve passed or hit the floater. Which would’ve opened the weakside rebound for Javin with the shot blocker coming over

Its the first end game situation where we needed a bucket, first where it was a tight game. Given the talent we have we should have better options than one player taking it to the hoop 3 times in a row when previous attempts were snuffed. That to me is the difference in the last 90 seconds vs the previous games. We didnt need a bucket so this was a brand new situation. Hopefully this isnt going to be the norm for tight end game situations and we learn to use our other talents....a kick to Cam, a post to Zion or a drive by Tre ..we have weapons...one player not recognizing that in one game does not make him a ball hog, just showed poor judgement. This isnt High school and these are not 18 yo's on the other teams. Post game Zag comments showed that they were waiting for RJ to drive on those possessions. Hopefully its not a pattern but a one off given it was the first close game for these guys. I'll wait to see how we adjust in the next tight game and judge RJ on what he learns from his rash decisions at the end of this game.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I didn’t really mind RJ having the ball I just wish he made a better decision. I rather Tre to have the ball because he would’ve made a better decision. He would’ve passed or hit the floater. Which would’ve opened the weakside rebound for Javin with the shot blocker coming over

I think this is the bigger point. I would have rather tre have the ball and make the decision and not just hand it off to rj
. Rj tried to do too much on to the next one. Doesnt impact the quest for number 6 just learn from the mistakes. But we lost this game in the first 35 min.

"Selfish ball hog" is definitely unwarranted at this stage, 6 games in.

At the same time, the last 90 seconds is also underplaying the problems in that game. I think there were several plays throughout the game, not just the last 90 seconds, that Barrett was too selfish. He didn't go 9-25 in the last 90 seconds. But, it also was not just Barrett (though he was the major culprit in forcing shots).

I hope K will run tape to show how many times these guys drive and take super difficult shots - with 4 players surrounding them and a teammate standing at the 3 point line ready to fire.

It's not just Barrett - all four of the freshman have had drives where they were surrounded, should have kicked it out for an easy 3 and they didn't. I think if Duke is to win it all, they will need to learn to be aware of the D collapsing and how to perform a kick out pass when that happens. As well as having the trust in their teammates.

K could do a better job of movement from these guys. One drives and the others stand around. The one person who seems really aware and is doing his job is Jack White. He's a glue man this year for this team.
As just a fan of basketball when I saw Hack White in one of your exhibition games I knew you had the best team in the county right away as he is an awesome role player! Championship teams need guys like him to do the dirty work while not making mistakes offensively.

I remember when Trajan Langdon came up short on the last 2 possessions of the '99 title game and K said he didn't regret going to him at all. I feel about the same way now. If there were better shots to be had, I trust we'll work on that, but when you trust guys to take those shots you live with the results.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT