ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Stewart

I don't get why he'd pick uw. No exposure and there losing Like 5 seniors who contribute and they play zone that can't help you in the nba.

Because you add Stewart and McDaniels and it’s the best front court class by far. Both would start and average around 15-20 points per game.

You all over it. His camp was blown away!

Like players, I think that people in a recruit's "camp" often don't really understand the gravity of the situation. There are always cheer leaders or brainless sycophants that blindly believe that their guy is the next LeBron. Who parrot that opinion often. Then you have parents, who can be blinded somewhat out of love for their child. Sometimes there are HS or AAu coaches who are clear eyed, but they are often further from the recruits circle of trust, and also point out negatives that don't fit with the circle's flawed view of reality. Even those with some idea of how to proceed are only looking at getting a kid drafted. They aren't really considering what it will take to succeed for 10 years in the league. Other coaches talk about getting a kid drafted. K talks about getting the kid ready to sign 2 long term deals AFTER the rookie contract expires.
The camp of a kid wants him to succeed, but often have no idea what that will entail or how to go about making it happen. Even very good and well meaning HS coaches (and some AAU coaches) don't really know what to do or how to proceed once they've identified and nurtured a young man into an NBA caliber asset.
I think K has reset his pitch. He sells the "family" side of it, sure. But he also lays out, in a business like manner, how he's going to prepare the player not only to get drafted, but to succeed in the pros. For a lot of recruits, and their camps, this is the very first time this has been laid out for them. And they are blown away.
Side note: Walking around Duke is great for these camps of folks. They see that Duke's campus is the type of place where the bad elements that can attach to players simply don't exist.
Side note: During Maggette's visit to Duke, I happened to see K on the Bryan Center Walkway standing near, but apart from, a group of older African American folks. I went up and asked how the visit was going. K said great, looked me up and down, and told, not suggested, that I say hello to the group of adults, and then also to Maggette who was talking to an Assistant Coach (Snyder I think). I did so, and the parents were very impressed with my (overly, bordering on obsequious) politeness. Corey was more reserved, but plainly gratified to be noticed by a rando student outside of CIS. I know that Corey isn't looked up with fondness thanks to Myron Piggie, but K knew what his parents wanted.
IS is like that. His camp didn't understand what it would take to become, and succeed, as a pro. K told them what K believed it would take, and they responded to that.

Because you add Stewart and McDaniels and it’s the best front court class by far. Both would start and average around 15-20 points per game.

Carey and Stewart would be a better front court class than Stewart and McDaniels.
Further, Duke's roster next year could be well situated for bigs. It didn't work last year because we couldn't consistently make perimeter jumpshots. Next year's team might be a bunch of snipers around 1-2 bigs inside.
McDaniels is more of a RJ or Tatum type player (college versions) in that he's not a great shooter. He slashes to the rim a lot. If there aren't shooters around them, could be hard for IS to find room to operate.

Honestly hurt would probably be better for us since we already have Vernon. I’d still be thrilled to have Stewart because he’s a stud and he’s going to do good wherever he goes. But hurt might fit next years team better. Don’t really know if we’re in it for him but we should be. Either would be great for the team and i think we’ll get one.

A lot of chatter for U Dub over past few days.....
Oh yeah. Every since Brian Snow did his interview with Stewart, people started going with U Dub. I didn't see anything that stated it, just seems to be a bunch of guessing. Rumors are coming out of the wood works right now lol. He should announce within the next 2 weeks unless something changes again. Looks like nobody truly knows including people close to him.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Stewart has said multiple times he wants to "play under the bright lights, loves the pressure, and just wants to win".....

Doesnt sound like Washington to me...but time will tell.

I'm all for landing every single 5-star recruit that we can in a given class. But this is the one recruit that I won't be upset if he chooses elsewhere, I say that realizing he may be the best rebounder in college basketball next season.
However...having Bolden return, along with Javin, Jack, and Vernon, that's 4 guys for 2 spots.
On top of that, I think playing Vernon at the 5 and Jack at the 4 will be next years "Line-up of Death."

^^could definitely see that next season with Jack at the 4 and Vern at the 5 with a PG and 2 other good shooters as the "death lineup"

We don’t need Stewart honestly. A senior Bolden would be better for us. Both will be one year players so it’s not a difference.

I doubt Coach K's recruiting Stewart because he's bored. He must think Stewart would be an asset.

I'm more than inclined to agree with him.

Reactions: timo0402
I doubt Coach K's recruiting Stewart because he's bored. He must think Stewart would be an asset.

I'm more than inclined to agree with him.

Stewart has said K made him a priority day 1....they've been recruiting him for a long time now.

Ultimatly I think he commits to Duke in a couple weeks and Bolden declares at the end of the season

I hate to sound like one of those fans (Kentucky cough cough) that says we don’t need him but I wouldn’t be destroyed if he chose somewhere else. I think with Vernon and maybe Bolden/Javin/Jack, that’s more than enough on the front line. I’m much more concerned with how our guard play will be next year.

I hate to sound like one of those fans (Kentucky cough cough) that says we don’t need him but I wouldn’t be destroyed if he chose somewhere else. I think with Vernon and maybe Bolden/Javin/Jack, that’s more than enough on the front line. I’m much more concerned with how our guard play will be next year.

Let's not forget Joey Baker either. I assume he's more of a stretch four at this point and maybe a SF down the road.

Reactions: jnastasi
Stewart has changed his mind so much lately. Not sure if it's by design or truly unsure where he want to go. The funny thing is, the minute something comes out for any school, it's not long before the tide definitely changes to somebody else. I was extremely confident a little while ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT