ADVERTISEMENT

Is Calipari slowly losing his way on the recruiting trail to K/Capel?

Let's hope the champions classic game will be more competitive next time these two heavyweights meet

Ky holds the overall head to head record...this is true.. Those games in the 30's and 50's do count. But recent history hasn't been so kind to the mildcats. You have lost 7 of the last 9.
While you were going through coaches trying to find the one, Coach K beat Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Smith, and Cal....The only one he hasn't beat is Gillespie, because they didn't play....you remember Billy G don't ya? LOL!!

Ky holds the overall head to head record...this is true.. Those games in the 30's and 50's do count. But recent history hasn't been so kind to the mildcats. You have lost 7 of the last 9.
While you were going through coaches trying to find the one, Coach K beat Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Smith, and Cal....The only one he hasn't beat is Gillespie, because they didn't play....you remember Billy G don't ya? LOL!!

All that matters when judging a coach and team is wins and championships. K's got more wins than anyone and more titles than Cal could hope to buy in the next 30-40 years. Now, the one argument that U.K fans have been using to try and justify your shit school being in the same league as Duke, is the major difference in the number of kids that get drafted in the NBA. Now, Duke has been beating your ass in that category as well.

One title in 29 years is nothing to hold a parade over. And once again, I live here, and can vividly remember listening to ky fans talk about what a cheat and scum he was before he got here, now he's a god? Sell that kool aid somewhere else.....I am not drinking it. In his entire career, he has coached exactly one more national championship team than I have!!
Hey!, I only have to win one to tie the legend!!!

Yep, it is absolutely hilarious. I have mentioned it before but there is an old thread from Rupp Rafters I see floating around once in a while. It is titled some thing like What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the name Jon Calipari. All the responses were "used car salesman", "scumbag", "sleaze" and the like. This was when he was at Memphis. I guess now that he is their scumbag it's all good. Lol.

I'd be willing to bet if Cal were at UK for 38 seasons he could potentially rival Coach K in wins & titles.

K's greatest years were 1985-1999. He's only advanced past sweet 16, 5 times since 2000. He did it 9 times 1985-1999. Cal has advanced past sweet 16 6 times the last 8 seasons...just saying:)
Cal has one title. End of discussion bruh.

Both coaches are the best when it comes to recruiting. Coach K is the best overall coach in the game, probably the best ever. Cal might only have one championship but that doesn't mean he is garbage. If you took a poll who the 6 best coaches in the game right now is, you would probably get K, Williams (Boo), Cal, Pitino, Self, and Izzo. All Hall of Fame coaches. 3 of those guys have 1 championship. It took good programs for all those guys to win a championships, and to Cal's defense I'm not counting UMass or Memphis as top programs. So what he has done in the 8 years he has been at Kentucky is pretty good. I'm not going to hate on Kentucky even if I dislike them because it would be stupid of me to say they suck as a basketball program. I can't stand UNC, UK, IU, or KU but they are right there with us as the top programs in college basketball. I don't put UCLA there because take out a 10 year period long before I was born, they haven't really done much. My biggest fear is what becomes of us when K is gone? He made Duke basketball what it is. That's another nod I give to Kentucky. They have 5 different coaches who have won championships, so the program is more than any one coach. Anyway I know I'm looking forward to this year and at the moment that's all that matters to me. Sorry if I pissed anyone off for taking up for Kentucky, just being real.

Both coaches are the best when it comes to recruiting. Coach K is the best overall coach in the game, probably the best ever. Cal might only have one championship but that doesn't mean he is garbage. If you took a poll who the 6 best coaches in the game right now is, you would probably get K, Williams (Boo), Cal, Pitino, Self, and Izzo. All Hall of Fame coaches. 3 of those guys have 1 championship. It took good programs for all those guys to win a championships, and to Cal's defense I'm not counting UMass or Memphis as top programs. So what he has done in the 8 years he has been at Kentucky is pretty good. I'm not going to hate on Kentucky even if I dislike them because it would be stupid of me to say they suck as a basketball program. I can't stand UNC, UK, IU, or KU but they are right there with us as the top programs in college basketball. I don't put UCLA there because take out a 10 year period long before I was born, they haven't really done much. My biggest fear is what becomes of us when K is gone? He made Duke basketball what it is. That's another nod I give to Kentucky. They have 5 different coaches who have won championships, so the program is more than any one coach. Anyway I know I'm looking forward to this year and at the moment that's all that matters to me. Sorry if I pissed anyone off for taking up for Kentucky, just being real.
Nothing like joining and making one post defending Kentucky while taking subtitle jabs, I'm sure that will work in your favor here.

Nothing like joining and making one post defending Kentucky while taking subtitle jabs, I'm sure that will work in your favor here.
And also putting IU as a top program but not UCLA. If IU is gonna be put up there then UCLA has to also. And Duke had great teams before the Coach K era. Duke was a great program under Bubas playing for a national championship against UCLA and also a final four appearance in 1966. Under Bill Foster Duke was a successful program also. They played uk for a national championship in 1978. The moral of the story here is I want Coach K to be at Duke as long as possible, but the day will come when Coach K decides to retire and I will not be worried about the state of the program. It will be successful after the Coach K Era! The haters just love to tell themselves that Duke won't be anything when Coach K retires.

Reactions: Quavarius
Vic Bubas and Bill Foster say hello in fifteen years here they took Duke to four final fours and we had 1000 wins before K got here.This is not downgrading K's accomplishments but we were a great program before he got here.To all you people who think we will sink into the abyss after he leaves are going to be sorely disappointed.He has built something that will not die after he retires

As long as Duke, the institution, maintains that massive endowment, and sports continue to be an important part of branding the institution, Duke basketball will be a top program.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Anyone know where I can finally find the overall head to head record between Coach K and Calipari? I've tried searching but can't find it anywhere. The only thing I could find head to head was since Calipari has been at Kentucky and Coach K is 1-1 since Calipari has been at Kentucky. Is that the only time that they've coached against each other?

Anyone know where I can finally find the overall head to head record between Coach K and Calipari? I've tried searching but can't find it anywhere. The only thing I could find head to head was since Calipari has been at Kentucky and Coach K is 1-1 since Calipari has been at Kentucky. Is that the only time that they've coached against each other?

They've only faced each other three times all-time. K is 2-1. Beat him at Memphis in '05 I think and in '12 at U.K. Cal beat K in '15 at UK.

They've only faced each other three times all-time. K is 2-1. Beat him at Memphis in '05 I think and in '12 at U.K. Cal beat K in '15 at UK.
But, but.....they would've beaten us had they not choked against Wisconsin!

Go check out their board - according to them Duke had a cakewalk to the final, and I've offset that ignorance with facts. Their rebuttal? Grade-school personal attacks and subjective 'feelings'. UK's weak season schedule crushed them in the end.
They play in the SEC, which guarantees them a high seed because of how weak their conference competition is. If they even TRY to argue that the SEC is even close to the ACC, they are dillusional. And every single year it's the same "the NCAA hates Ky and always gives them the toughest road". You'd think they would get a decent draw every 10 years or so!!

It was hilarious after the tournament that year. Walmart here had 40-0 shirts.....shelves just full of them!! The next day they were all gone and a guy was taking the shelves down!! He didn't like my little Snyde comment about shipping them to 3rd world countries!!

Go check out their board - according to them Duke had a cakewalk to the final, and I've offset that ignorance with facts. Their rebuttal? Grade-school personal attacks and subjective 'feelings'. UK's weak season schedule crushed them in the end.
I never post on their board. For one, they are closed minded as you can get. Everybody sucks except ky, and two, you just can't fix stupid.....now, if we win it all this year, it's likely I will Go over there and congratulate them on where ever they finished, get my ban, and do it again next time!!

To be totally honest, Calipari is a great coach. The sad, sad truth to just about everyone that knows anything at all about college basketball is that Coach K is the best.
Sometimes I question what he does, think he is too bull headed, but thru it all I wouldn't pick any other coach out there over him. And if a person really follows the history with college ball over the last 20 years, they see a strong possibility of a Duke title this coming season. The thought of K with 6 is almost unbearable to the rest of college land, especially Kentucky and Hole fans. Deep down they know who the best is too. Jealousy is a dangerous animal

To be totally honest, Calipari is a great coach. The sad, sad truth to just about everyone that knows anything at all about college basketball is that Coach K is the best.
Sometimes I question what he does, think he is too bull headed, but thru it all I wouldn't pick any other coach out there over him. And if a person really follows the history with college ball over the last 20 years, they see a strong possibility of a Duke title this coming season. The thought of K with 6 is almost unbearable to the rest of college land, especially Kentucky and Hole fans. Deep down they know who the best is too. Jealousy is a dangerous animal

K with 6 and within striking distance of UK's 8 would cause mass suicides in Lexington

And what's up with U.K. fans calling Capel fat as if Cal is lean? Capel is kicking Cal's ass on the recruiting trail and all they can talk about is his weight? Sad sacks.

Like I said Before....they were calling cal a sleaze when he was at Memphis....now He's a god. If Hitler coached here, they would defend him and slander everybody else......all fans are biased towards their own, but most can at least admit when someone else is good. I don't hear many fans in ky do that....everybody sucks except uk

Thanks, I wasn't sure if they'd coached against each other when Cal was coach at UMass or Memphis. I'm putting a little package together so to speak and that was the last piece of info that I needed to finish it.

It was hilarious after the tournament that year. Walmart here had 40-0 shirts.....shelves just full of them!! The next day they were all gone and a guy was taking the shelves down!! He didn't like my little Snyde comment about shipping them to 3rd world countries!!
Oh yea I walked around walmart and various shopping stores here after the SEC tournament and there was people wearing their 40-0 shirts! Do you also remember the city of Lexington already planning the parade route in Lexington before the NCAA tournament even started? It's like no one here showed any of the other teams any respect? I'm like hey "My teams pretty damn good also, and my team has WAY WAY better coach than Cal." I still cherish watching them go down and MY team cutting down the nets and being there in Indianapolis to witness it was just something ill never forget!

Reactions: DukefanKY
It looks like Bol Bol is going to Oregon and according to Evan Daniels he thinks Zion is down to Duke and Kentucky, but I’m still not confident about Zion. RJ Barrett will be at Duke I’m almost sure. Right now the only recruit they have is Quickley, but I think a lot of players from this year will be back next year. I wouldn’t say he has lost his touch yet, but K/Capel have been uk recently on the recruiting trail and I couldn’t be more than happy.

I hope they strike out on many next year....I would LOVE to see us just tear them apart in the champions classic next year.
I can’t remember which thread it was in the I said it, it might’ve been earlier in this thread or it might’ve been in another thread but I’m looking forward to playing them in the Champions Classic next year and if we end up with both RJ and Zion, it would be even sweeter beating them next year with 2 of the recruits that their fans wanted the most

I can’t remember which thread it was in the I said it, it might’ve been earlier in this thread or it might’ve been in another thread but I’m looking forward to playing them in the Champions Classic next year and if we end up with both RJ and Zion, it would be even sweeter beating them next year with 2 of the recruits that their fans wanted the most

Come on you know by this time next year they will not have wanted RJ, Zion, Cam or anyone else.

No, Coach K has had great success but regretfully so has Cal. Don't forget a player named Kevin Knox so quickly. Just a couple of months ago we were all depressed here on DI when Knox chose UK instead of Duke. Both K and Cal are currently the kings of the OAD recruiting with Zona and KU in the mix. Bagley and Jones recently are the big stories so naturally one might think we are doing better.
There is one thing that never changes though. GO TO HELL UNC, GO TO HELL.
So depressed..lol

Remarkably successful and by a lot of accounts a better man than coach. I would understand a UNC fan trying to put Dean in the conversation as an innovator. I think K equals him in his adaptability and trumps him with titles and wins.

Oh yea I walked around walmart and various shopping stores here after the SEC tournament and there was people wearing their 40-0 shirts! Do you also remember the city of Lexington already planning the parade route in Lexington before the NCAA tournament even started? It's like no one here showed any of the other teams any respect? I'm like hey "My teams pretty damn good also, and my team has WAY WAY better coach than Cal." I still cherish watching them go down and MY team cutting down the nets and being there in Indianapolis to witness it was just something ill never forget!

Yep, we won THEIR national championship in 2015. Gotta love it.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
What I don't understand about U.K. Fans is their insecurity.There history speaks for itself.All time wins ,8 NC'smakes them imo historically the best program of all time,but if anyone points out that we or anyone else points out that for the last fifty years our program is as good or better they go ballistic.

What I don't understand about U.K. Fans is their insecurity.There history speaks for itself.All time wins ,8 NC'smakes them imo historically the best program of all time,but if anyone points out that we or anyone else points out that for the last fifty years our program is as good or better they go ballistic.

Ballistic is the perfect word to describe them. I've never seen a bunch so insecure. They can't stand the fact that Duke is the face of college basketball and I LOVE IT!

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT