ADVERTISEMENT

If you could pick One....

AlanInNJ

Cameron Crazy
Feb 25, 2014
If you could pick just one of the following to have a breakout year for us, who would it be; Jeremy Roach, Joey Baker or Wendell Moore.

I would love to see all these guys have awesome years. Maybe Moore shows the senior leadership we so desperately need. Maybe Joey finally finds his range in games that he reportedly shows in practice. But for me, if I had to pick one from this list it would be Jeremy. I think we need strong guard leadership this year from him. If he takes the next step towards being a scoring threat, solid ball handler and racks up assists I think the rest fall into place and we cut down the nets in April.

Last edited:
If you could pick just one of the following to have a breakout year for us, who would it be; DJ Steward, Joey Baker or Wendell Moore.

I would love to see all these guys have awesome years. Maybe Moore shows the senior leadership we so desperately need. Maybe Joey finally finds his range in games that he reportedly shows in practice. But for me, if I had to pick one from this list it would be DJ. I think we need strong guard leadership this year from him. If he takes the next step towards being a scoring threat, solid ball handler and racks up assists I think the rest fall into place and we cut down the nets in April.
It will have to be Joey or Wendell because Steward is no longer on the team, he turned pro!!!
OFC

If you could pick just one of the following to have a breakout year for us, who would it be; DJ Steward, Joey Baker or Wendell Moore.

I would love to see all these guys have awesome years. Maybe Moore shows the senior leadership we so desperately need. Maybe Joey finally finds his range in games that he reportedly shows in practice. But for me, if I had to pick one from this list it would be DJ. I think we need strong guard leadership this year from him. If he takes the next step towards being a scoring threat, solid ball handler and racks up assists I think the rest fall into place and we cut down the nets in April.
Moore can provide senior leadership next year, when he's a senior.

My heart says Joey, my brain says Wendell. If Wendell has a Carawell type year, he'll be the stabilizing force for the young guys. We would be hard to beat in that situation.

Reactions: hart2chesson

Are you ok?

I think he meant Roach. Roach is the key for us. I think Moore will have a good year. You never know with Joey but we need the shooting.

Short of injuries, horrible luck, if any of Roach, Moore, or Baker have a breakout year, we win 30 + games and are title favorites.

Reactions: Blueheart32
He probably meant Roach not DJ. But I think it has to be Jeremy or Moore. Anything Joey gives us would be gravy. I do think Roach takes a step up. If Moore can be consistent this year, he should be a real positive for our team. He’s good when he’s the 4-5th option. Not the 1st or 2nd.

All three are important but I'd love to see Joey have a solid year and really become an important piece for us. He has been loyal to Duke. He could have transferred 3 times but stuck with us. OFC

Joey for me. Because 3 is more than 2, and when he gets hot he can be a really good spacer and 3 ball guy, which makes the floor open for everyone else.

Reactions: christophero
Joey. If he has a breakout year and the other 2 get marginally better we’re a title favorite. We have the best front court by far in the country so we just need good guard play. Not exceptional. But if Joey has a breakout year then that takes the team to a different level because we aren’t expecting a lot out of him anyway

Most of our runs historically have involved 3 point shooting. Something missing the last few years, except for Hurt last year. Joey has a big opportunity. So does Roach. When we are raining 3's everything else opens up for us.

Joey for me. Because 3 is more than 2, and when he gets hot he can be a really good spacer and 3 ball guy, which makes the floor open for everyone else.
Duke can get by with Moore and Baker having only slight improvements. To go far, we need Roach to be a star at PG. Also could see Roach having a really good year helping Keels since they are very tight. Could Moore have a breakout year and be a serviceable PG? Yes, but having Roach excel at the position is what’s best for the team.

Baker having a breakout year would be a great story but wouldn’t get us to the Final Four.

Depends on which Roach you are talking about. Beginning to two thirds of the way through the year, I absolutely agree. End of the year Roach with minimal improvement in any area is good enough. End of the year Roach with a breakout year from Joey, Moore, or a better than expected year from Keels and we are amazing unless something else goes south.

Quality play at the 3 is crucial. After last year I am leery of freshman who have had long layoffs. If AJ is a double digit scorer/good defender right out of the gate we are good to go. Him and Keels did not look like world beaters in the early scrimmages, but there is plenty of time to fix that. I think we get solid play out of Moore and Roach. The will be good, but there are a lot of good teams out there, so we may need them to be more than solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
I am hoping that AJ is underrated. I think many just see him as an "upside" guy who is just a great athlete. I think his basketball IQ is underappreciated. Let's not forget, he is a coaches kid.

Coach K teams go as far as the point guard play will carry them so I’ll go with Roach. My heart is pulling for the upperclassmen though.

Roach needs to show he's a point guard and not just a guard who can shoot. Considering he missed a year in high school, he could be markedly improved this year.

If Roach has made a good jump, everyone will benefit. All title teams have a really good one.

Didn't Joe Baker give up his senior year in HS to ride the bench at Duke? Did he redshirt? It feels like this is about his seventh year. So, he's probably due. That's who I'd pick.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Didn't Joe Baker give up his senior year in HS to ride the bench at Duke? Did he redshirt? It feels like this is about his seventh year. So, he's probably due. That's who I'd pick.
The amazing thing is due to Covid he could have one more year, but he posted something about "one last go around" so I doubt he comes back.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Quality play at the 3 is crucial. After last year I am leery of freshman who have had long layoffs. If AJ is a double digit scorer/good defender right out of the gate we are good to go. Him and Keels did not look like world beaters in the early scrimmages, but there is plenty of time to fix that. I think we get solid play out of Moore and Roach. The will be good, but there are a lot of good teams out there, so we may need them to be more than solid.
If there is one position on the floor year after year that I feel like will end up being a really good contributor, it’s our SF play. Coach K has been great with having really good SFs just based off his offensive sets. Think AJ, Moore, Baker or Keels could all potentially do damage at SF. Do Moore and Keels fit better at SG? Possibly but Keels is a thick dude who could make up for height with his size.

If Roach is good at PG then it provides 4 options to have really good play at SG and SF with Moore, Keels, AJ, and Joey.

I expect Moore to be better this year. But he's already good, so I don't think the improvement I expect should be called a breakthrough.

Roach is the guy I think could have a legit breakthrough. And Duke will be very good if that happens. I mean Duke will be quite good even if that doesn't happen, but if Roach finishes turning the corner (something he started at the end of last season), we're talking a very high seed in the NCAAT. No worse than #3 and probably higher. [With the usual caveats.]

I am just taking the attitude that we are a sweet 16 team. If Roach or keels are absolute studs that could change. With our frontcourt teams will pack it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
Assuming Mark plays like he did the last half of the season last year, and the players coming in are as good as billed, a Moore consistently giving us what he gave us in his best games would be unreal

I think we always need to take the attitude that we have a sweet 16 team. Let's get that far, then see if we're hitting on all cylinders and can go further.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT