ADVERTISEMENT

IF we got an invite....

BlueDevils725

Starter
Jan 12, 2015
If we some how some way got an invite to the tournament, would we accept? I just saw where UVA would test consecutive days to see if the tests were negative so they could go. Probably a stupid question but I've read we just dropped out of the ACC tourney, and I've seen we ended our season. Sorry, I'm clinging on to false hope, i'm not ready for our season to be over :(.

If we some how some way got an invite to the tournament, would we accept? I just saw where UVA would test consecutive days to see if the tests were negative so they could go. Probably a stupid question but I've read we just dropped out of the ACC tourney, and I've seen we ended our season. Sorry, I'm clinging on to false hope, i'm not ready for our season to be over :(.

BD725 I know what you mean. I realize the NCAA bid is out, but I hate the the thought of not seeing THIS TEAM play anymore this year. I know folks put down the NIT (and I have done so in the past), but at the very least it would give this team more hoops, and young players more game experience.I heard it won't start for some teams until next weekend, and certainly feel the NIT officials would be flexible to get Duke in field. Just wonder if we were premature in pulling plug so quickly??? Oh well, moot question now...OFC

Reactions: christophero
BD725 I know what you mean. I realize the NCAA bid is out, but I hate the the thought of not seeing THIS TEAM play anymore this year. I know folks put down the NIT (and I have done so in the past), but at the very least it would give this team more hoops, and young players more game experience.I heard it won't start for some teams until next weekend, and certainly feel the NIT officials would be flexible to get Duke in field. Just wonder if we were premature in pulling plug so quickly??? Oh well, moot question now...OFC
Yeah man I would love to see an NIT invite if we didn't get in the dance. With as weak as the last 4 in/out are we would have had a good chance of making it. I just want to see these guys play in some sort of end game scenario, we were clicking the last 2 games and actually ran offense. I'm sad. I think us pulling the plug on the whole season was a bit premature at this point.

Yeah man I would love to see an NIT invite if we didn't get in the dance. With as weak as the last 4 in/out are we would have had a good chance of making it. I just want to see these guys play in some sort of end game scenario, we were clicking the last 2 games and actually ran offense. I'm sad. I think us pulling the plug on the whole season was a bit premature at this point.

Amen!!! OFC

Reactions: BlueDevils725
Seems like they are done with the season. I understand this but I also don't. Assuming it's 7 days and we can still play in the NIT. Everyone else is dealing with the same thing. They even took a break at Christmas, which a lot of teams did not get. Still; it is hard on all the players.

Last edited:
Seems like they are done with the season. I understand this but I also don't. Assuming it's 7 days and we can still play in the NIT. Everyone else is dealing with the same thing. They even took a break at Christmas, which a lot of teams did not get. Still; it is hard on all the players.
Agreed. Our guys clearly wanted to play, they were busting their asses off the past couple of games like they had something to prove. I know we're probably done, but I'm anxious to see the selection show and if we some how got in, if Duke would be like, alright we're going. Lol

Well duh (if selected). The media wants Duke fans attention. As of now we are not in. Sure, if other teams start falling out due to Covid, we *could* be selected. Also, we *could not* be selected. I just wouldn’t get my hopes up until the NCAA tells Duke they are invited and Duke accepts. But, I’m not relying on the same media who have bashed Duke all season long to now want to say “you have a chance *if selected*”

Reactions: bleediteveryday30

Your question has now been answered. If we get an invite from the NCAA Selection committee, we could participate and would say Yes.

13 and 11 will not get us in. I think we needed to get to 15. But if we did get in, can you imagine the outrage haha.

I don’t think the above info about us being able to participate unless K or our AD was contacted and given positive news about the likelihood of us getting a bid. Otherwise, K and Duke has no reason to let that info out.

Forde and Bilas both said we are in if we had beat FSU. We have an advantage that a lot of other teams do not. We are 6-3 without JJ. We beat NCAA teams in dominate fashion in Syracuse and Louisville. Add a win against Virginia and all three of our losses in that stretch and 2 were in OT. Right now, can anyone with a straight face say we are not one of the 68 best teams? We look good right now. The biggest blemish right now is simply wins. You going to deny us simply because we could not play Elon and Gardner Webb?

It would give Mark more time to show his ability too😂

Reactions: hart2chesson
Well duh (if selected). The media wants Duke fans attention. As of now we are not in. Sure, if other teams start falling out due to Covid, we *could* be selected. Also, we *could not* be selected. I just wouldn’t get my hopes up until the NCAA tells Duke they are invited and Duke accepts. But, I’m not relying on the same media who have bashed Duke all season long to now want to say “you have a chance *if selected*”

Memphis and Utah St losing tonite gives Duke a boost. Georgetown however will get in, stealing an automatic bid from Creighton. So out of 3 games, 2 broke our way. Not bad. OFC

Reactions: Quavarius
It would be hilarious to read other fan forums if Duke got in with a 13 and 11 record. Another thing going for us is we played well since Jalen left the team. We definitely are a long shot though.

Let us call a duck a duck. The NCAA wants us. We are a team that maybe should not get in, but everyone writes us in for the sweet 16.

Bottom line, I still wonder if the hesitation is solely our record. First of all, there is precedent for a 16-14 team making it (as an 8 no less, 2000-01 Georgia) but I do not know how strong the bubble was.

Second, we lost 6 games to COVID (Charleston Southern, Elon, Gardner Webb, and Pitt home, FSU road and neutral). IMHO, at worst 4-2. Would we look at this differently if this was a 17-13 team?

Lastly, save 4 minutes in the first half against Louisville, we looked damn good in the ACC Tournament. Best in ACC but maybe GT. FSU didnt look all that in two games. Yes, UNCheats whipped up on a mentally drained ND, but they were not that impressive against FSU. Now before you say it was BC for us, 1. Look how many top teams had problems with n
Bad teams this week and 2. BC was a scrappy team all season, causing minor headaches along the way.

Bilas and Forde both said we beat FSU, we were in. You cannot tell me we are not one of the best 37 teams that do not have at auto bid. We are 6-3 in the last nine, with a road OT loss at the ACC champion, an OT loss to a team we just b**** slapped in the ACC tournament, a dominate win over a team most likely in the field in 'Cuse, and a dominant road win at NCST.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic (so ulike me) but we are better than next 4 out...

Last edited:
Let us call a duck a duck. The NCAA wants us. We are a team that maybe should not get in, but everyone writes us in for the sweet 16.

Bottom line, I still wonder if the hesitation is solely our record. First of all, there is precedent for a 16-14 team making it (as an 8 no less, 2000-01 Georgia) but I do not know how strong the bubble was.

Second, we lost 6 games to COVID (Charleston Southern, Elon, Gardner Webb, and Pitt home, FSU road and neutral). IMHO, at worst 4-2. Would we look at this differently if this was a 17-13 team?

Lastly, save 4 minutes in the first half against Louisville, we looked damn good in the ACC Tournament. Best in ACC but maybe GT. FSU didnt look all that in two games. Yes, UNCheats whipped up on a mentally drained ND, but they were not that impressive against FSU. Now before you say it was BC for us, 1. Look how many top teams had problems with n
Bad teams this week and 2. BC was a scrappy team all season, causing minor headaches along the way.

Bilas and Forde both said we beat FSU, we were in. You cannot tell me we are not one of the best 37 teams that do not have at auto bid. We are 6-3 in the last nine, with a road OT loss at the ACC champion, an OT loss to a team we just b**** slapped in the ACC tournament, a dominate win over a team most likely in the field in 'Cuse, and a dominant road win at NCST.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic (so ulike me) but we are better than next 4 out...

100% they want us and TV shows want our eyeballs for their bracket shows (before the tournament). I’m not watching live, I’ll just wait for the social media reaction. We move the needle as evident.

100% they want us and TV shows want our eyeballs for their bracket shows (before the tournament). I’m not watching live, I’ll just wait for the social media reaction. We move the needle as evident.

Yeah sitting there watching can be thrilling/torturous at the same time. If I go in w/attitude of "No way we get picked" I am probably better off...OFC

Reactions: Quavarius
People would say we are undeserving, but it's always better to make the tournament. Even the play in game. Which could be a compromise to make the play in game. So we're not in, we'd technically have to win that game to earn our way to the tournament.

Last edited:
The NCAA missed a golden opportunity. Expand the field to 80, and have 16 play in games. All auto bids get a "bye." So you have teams already in the bubble to "slide" into byes even 12 hours or less in advance. None of this locked in 48 hours after brackets announced BS. So 4 teams are out? Down to 12 playin games. You cannot tell me after the year we all had and no tournament last year, eyeballs and ad dollars go through the roof. Also gives us the ultimate "ok mid majors, show us second or third place teams in the MVC can hang with middle of the road Big 10 teams.

The numbers have Colgate ninth in the NET. Record and the pure numbers say no. But the eye test and last 10 games (especially since JJ gone) say yes. And as much as we hate the Cheats, and UNCs AD is supposed to be out of the room when the cheats (and I think the ACC as a whole) is discussed by the committee, you know darn well Bubba is talking to White. How else we go from season over, to no comment on if Duke is selected will they play, to Duke probably would play if selected, to Duke will play if selected?

And as much as the committee says conference tournament just fine tunes seeding, I call BS. If it is fine tuning, how the hell does UCONN go from a bubble team to a three seed after winning the Big East Tournament in 2011? How does Iowa go from a not even being considered to a 7 seed in 2001 after winning the Big 10 tournament?

Yeah, you want to keep playing, but Duke didnt lose in the ACC Tournament. On top of that, they look damned impressive at it...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT