ADVERTISEMENT

I take it back

Say what’s really on your mind😫

This is the kind of critical analysis this board has been missing.

Reactions: GAAP
Believe me I’d like to break it down in a constructive manner, but WTF is this?

Reactions: kingbluedevil
At this point I think every fan is lost!

We need to have a support group where Duke and Kentucky fans can come together as one. I think we both understand each other’s thoughts. We’re arguably the 2 best programs with the 2 highest paid coaches and the product both teams are currently putting on the floor is unacceptable. In Kentucky’s case, it’s down right embarrassing.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Listen, I get the frustration everyone, I really do. We’re spoiled rotten - we put such an unbelievable product on the floor every year, when there are any hiccups at all, we’re lost, don’t know how to act - what to say, or do.

I don’t know how many of you have ever coached at a level above youth basketball - I guess an any sport. But it doesn’t matter if your the New York Yankees, or the New Rochelle youth AA Yankees, it happens.

It doesn’t matter if you’re Duke, or Kentucky, (let’s not forget Carolina is no twinkling star yet this year, either) it happens.

So before you go losing your ever loving mind, and making comments like, “the product that both teams are putting on the court right now is unacceptable,” breathe.

You don’t have to look very far to find some silver linings. For starters, the GOAT 🐐 is our head coach. This team still has talent. Has it panned out like we thought it would to this point in the season? Of course not - but that doesn’t mean it’s not there.

I could sit here and go on for 10 pages and toss out a ton of clichés and quotes, but I’m not going to do that. Because at this point, this is who we are and what we have, and what we have, is a lot more than most college basketball teams.

This team has to decide if they can take what we have and get better every day. It’s easy to come together when you’re successful – it’s not so easy when you’re facing challenges.

How do these superstars from their high school teams react when they get asked to be selfless? To play for one another. To play for the name on the front of the jersey not the back.

I’ve never been a head college coach, only an assistant. But on the front door of our locker room every year, in big, bold print, I put my favorite quote for every player to see, every single day.

“Adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. Because the true test of a man, is how he shows himself in the face of that adversity.”

On to Saturday.

Last edited:
Listen, I get the frustration everyone, I really do. We’re spoiled rotten - we put such an unbelievable product on the floor every year, when there are any hiccups at all, we’re lost, don’t know how to act - what to say, or do.

I don’t know how many of you have ever coached at a level above youth basketball - I guess an any sport. But it doesn’t matter if your the New York Yankees, or the New Rochelle youth AA Yankees, it happens.

It doesn’t matter if you’re Duke, or Kentucky, (let’s not forget Carolina is no twinkling star yet this year, either) it happens.

So before you go losing your ever loving mind, and making comments like, “the product that both teams are putting on the court right now is unacceptable,” breathe.

You don’t have to look very far to find some silver linings. For starters, the GOAT 🐐 is our head coach. This team still has talent. Has it panned out like we thought it would to this point in the season? Of course not - but that doesn’t mean it’s not there.

I could sit here and go on for 10 pages and toss out a ton of clichés and quotes, but I’m not going to do that. Because at this point, this is who we are and what we have, and what we have, is a lot more than most college basketball teams.

This team has to decide if they can take what we have and get better every day. It’s easy to come together when you’re successful – it’s not so easy when you’re facing challenges.

How do these superstars from their high school teams react when they get asked to be selfless? To play for one another. To play for the name on the front of the jersey not the back.

I’ve never been a head college coach, only an assistant. But on the front door of our locker room every year, in big, bold print, I put my favorite quote for every player to see, every single day.

“Adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. Because the true test of a man, is how he shows himself in the face of that adversity.”

On to Saturday.

Couldn't have said it any better. We're so spoiled and we have a fan base full of arm chair coaches. The season isn't over yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m gonna play devils advocate and say while the season isn’t over yet this team needs to find an offense that works because right now it’s pack the paint and make Duke shoot the three. We look alright against mid majors and division two teams but any one within the top twenty five when the lights should come on they dim for these high school stars.

This may not be one of our stellar teams. But it will be fun to see how they improve. And assuming no major transfers, some of these guys will really be ready for next year.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
As others have said, these past games have just been so difficult to watch. Our offense is just completely lost right now. With that being said, there is still reason to have some hope.
-Hurt shot 0/6 last night. I’m not saying the loss is on him because other than that stat he was pretty good. But if he just makes 2 or 3 of them last night that may be what helps Duke make that final push to make it a game. While yes, we lost by 15, we were just one big run from getting back in it. Hurt isn’t going to miss six wide open 3’s that often. He just had a rough shooting night from deep.
-Our defense, overall, isn’t terrible. We’re not great but there’s potential to be pretty damn good
-Roach played his best game last night by far. In my eyes, he looked great. Made a lot of plays with his speed and athleticism and was about the only one looking to attack.
-Steward came on at the end. He played pretty terrible for the first 30 minutes but he hit some big shots there at the end and he started to build off that. Hopefully he can continue that into next game.
This isn’t a star studded Duke team like in years past. It’s going to be a process through out the year but if people can find their roles as the year goes on I think we have potential to be pretty good.

I’m not sure if I agree that college basketball is down across-the-board because Gonzaga Iowa and Baylor look pretty damn good to me.

Reactions: Liftee and sheyduke
I’m not sure if I agree that college basketball is down across-the-board because Gonzaga Iowa and Baylor look pretty damn good to me.
To go along with this, it’s the turn over rate hurting top programs this year. Teams that have been together and are senior lead is what college ball is all about and it’s showing this season so far.

This Duke team is gonna have to find s way to gel and play forty minutes. But opposing teams already see his to play Duke and until we start making threes reliably and actually moving with out the ball. It’s just gonna be hard to watch.

Reactions: hart2chesson
This is just a weird season altogether. With COVID and no fans it just doesn't even seem like college basketball. Games are going to be cancelled throughout the year. I cant help but think these young boys on these teams are looking out for number 1 and trying to get their stock up for the next level. It honestly feels like a AAU tournament game where guys are just trying to impress the one or two college coaches that are watching. I really feel that these young kids really need those crowds to feed off of to play and understand what college hoops is really about. They haven't experienced that love from the fans so they are just individuals trying to impress the next level and failing miserably.

Next year should be a much better season. Okay, I am out of silver linings :)

This sounds cliché but honestly this team is going to be put through the fire and clearly we’re not going to be able to beat the top-tier teams this year… They’re just much better than we are right now and more experienced. We have glaring holes that need to be sharpened up.

Next year I expect everyone to be back who’s not graduating except for JJ and Hurt. So all of our freshman are going to be exponentially better having been tested over and over this year… Not to mention we get to add Paulo and AJ Griffin and still possibly add (fingers crossed) Patrick Baldwin and/or Trevor Keels.

Future is bright AF - just a little rainy right now.

We are not strong anywhere, but the point guard spot is the most important. Jalen is solid, but not what we expected. 19 and 19 against a low level team was fools gold.

The good news is it’s early. Bad news is, we have a lot of improving to do. There’s not a single kid that is where they need to be.
Up to K to figure it out. The fan excuse is just that. No one has fans.

The best way to describe this team is to look at history. The 95/96 or 96/97 teams put all this in perspective for those of us who are over 40.

95/96: 18-13...led by Chris Collins, Jeff Capel and Richard Price.
96-97: 24-9...led by Trajan Langdon, Jeff Capel, and Roshown McLeod.

The difference in both years was effective junior/senior play and outside shooting. We look like the 95/96. No way can JJ, J. Brakefield, Roach, Steward and Hurt effectively lead us.

Coach K and the coaching staff must nurture, guide, adjust and be patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
I disagree with anyone who thinks next year will be the same as past years teams that were loaded with just talented freshman. Next year "SHOULD" be what all Duke fans have been wanting. We are going to be bringing in a class that resembles the Zion class (3 top 5 players if Baldwin comes) and we should be surrounding those freshman studs with talented 4 and 5 star sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Provided guys like Roach, Steward, and Brakefield come back. Moore and Baker I don't think have anywhere they can go, so they should be back too at this point.

The Zion team failed partly because our surrounding pieces were guys like Jack White, Goldwire, and O'Connell. I love those guys, but they are nowhere near the talents of what a sophomore Steward, Roach, and Brakefield should be. I hope to see our guys keep progressing this year, but at this point, one of the biggest goals needs to be getting these guys back next year and we will be heavy title favorites.

So before you go losing your ever loving mind, and making comments like, “the product that both teams are putting on the court right now is unacceptable,” breath.

On to Saturday.

Thank you K-ville. OFC

Reactions: krzyzewskiville
Yes, that loss sucks. We did not look good in several ways. But, us shooting 5-22 and them shooting 7-11 is quite an anomaly. Yes, they ran better offense earning better looks and we were stagnant and did not earn a ton of open looks. That said, our D was not horrible and 7-11 is pretty fortuitous unless you are the Splash Brothers. And, we missed many good looks from good shooters who should be taking 3s. We shoot 7-22 (still not good) and they shoot 5-11 (still very good) and we have a ballgame.
As bad as things looked at times last night, I see no reason why our offense and defense can't improve enough to achieve that level of change.

I disagree with anyone who thinks next year will be the same as past years teams that were loaded with just talented freshman. Next year "SHOULD" be what all Duke fans have been wanting. We are going to be bringing in a class that resembles the Zion class (3 top 5 players if Baldwin comes) and we should be surrounding those freshman studs with talented 4 and 5 star sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Provided guys like Roach, Steward, and Brakefield come back. Moore and Baker I don't think have anywhere they can go, so they should be back too at this point.

The Zion team failed partly because our surrounding pieces were guys like Jack White, Goldwire, and O'Connell. I love those guys, but they are nowhere near the talents of what a sophomore Steward, Roach, and Brakefield should be. I hope to see our guys keep progressing this year, but at this point, one of the biggest goals needs to be getting these guys back next year and we will be heavy title favorites.
Next year is looking like 2015. I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we'd all be perfectly pleased if that ends up being the case.

Is our poor shooting an anomaly though? Shooting is one of those things that does not always improve, as we know from recent years. I hope it does.

The eye test, without doing the numbers, is that there were too many easy shots and layups given up last night. That is fixable, but recent history doesn't bode well that the freshmen are going to "get it" anytime soon,, especially in a season that has interruptions, cancellations and the like.

Next year, though, is another story.

We just need to not play for awhile and practice on offense WITH A CENTER. Forget the 5-out offense. It doesn't work. Once we accept that we can't run a 5-out isolation offense then we will be ok on offense which will also help our defense because we will have a CENTER in the game. We recruited 2 centers for a reason, I suppose

Reactions: christophero
Shooting ability doesnt improve in the short term Chris. But, better shot selection and better looks should always improve shooting percentage

Reactions: christophero
The best way to describe this team is to look at history. The 95/96 or 96/97 teams put all this in perspective for those of us who are over 40.

95/96: 18-13...led by Chris Collins, Jeff Capel and Richard Price.
96-97: 29-9...led by Trajan Langdon, Jeff Capel, and Roshown McLeod.

The difference in both years was effective junior/senior play and outside shooting. We look like the 95/96. No way can JJ, J. Brakefield, Roach, Steward and Hurt effectively lead us.

Coach K and the coaching staff must nurture, guide, adjust and be patient.

Jam,

These are good comparisons, and I will also be one of those who say that next season should be a lot better.

I also remember being frustrated in the 2008/2009 season which ended by being slugged to death in the S16. The next year, Duke won it all.

I believe the announcers said that Duke hasn't had two none conference losses at home since the 1982/1983 season? If so, yikes, that's a long time in between.

Reactions: jamsession3
We look like an AAU team thrown together in the parking lot before tipoff. Need some form shooting & cutting drills.

Reactions: skysdad
We need to right the ship and quick. Things can spiral out of control quick with a young team. It happened down the road last year and can happen here. Still hopeful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT