ADVERTISEMENT

How many national championships for Roy when he retires?

bullettoothtony

All American
Mar 29, 2010
I'd prefer all the objectivity you can muster, but, what the hell, who am I to judge...

His health seems to be a bit wobbly but I could still see him coaching another 7 or 8 years.

I think he'll get another one somehow, some way. They've kept cranking out good teams these last few years and their recruiting is ticking up.

I hope not of course but I'll go with 4.

Always thought he’d end with the two but man can coach so ima go with safe side 4.. really could see 5 if he stays around long enough. When the one and done is gone though and the juggernaut recruiting guys start going for other targets though he’ll take a hit so we’ll see

He signed an 8 year extension last year. Of course he doesn’t have to stay the whole duration of it but I don’t think the re-sign tenure would be that extensive if he had any plans of hanging it up soon... Idk how to predict whether or not he’ll snag another natty but I’ll sure pray that he doesn’t.

Reactions: hart2chesson
5. With the eventual changes and kids going “pro” outta HS again, it’ll benefit his program and they’ll have a good run. (Bonus they can get away with anything they want and not get penalized heavily)

Reactions: Dad2ze
Roy's going to be 69 in August; his time is limited. His teams that have really excelled enjoyed continuity, which always included talented veteran leadership. Just in the last 3-5 years, there has been a major shift on college players leaving early. Before, you left if you were a lottery pick, then it became a first rounder, then it was just a matter of being drafted. Now, in some cases, just starting your pro career is good enough, whether that's G-League or overseas.

Roy is finally starting to feel the effects of a high turnover rate. If it were 2012 or 2013, he'd certainly have Tony Bradley or Nassir Little back for at least one more season. Elite high school players want to get to the league as fast as possible. Roy's an excellent coach, and he'll still have talented teams, but the high turnover is something he's never had to deal with before. Lost his top 5 scorers from 2019. It's likely that he'll lose another 3-4 starters after 2020. How does he deal with essentially a new starting 5 every year? I'm an optimist, so I'll say he retires with 3.

Roy's going to be 69 in August; his time is limited. His teams that have really excelled enjoyed continuity, which always included talented veteran leadership. Just in the last 3-5 years, there has been a major shift on college players leaving early. Before, you left if you were a lottery pick, then it became a first rounder, then it was just a matter of being drafted. Now, in some cases, just starting your pro career is good enough, whether that's G-League or overseas.

Roy is finally starting to feel the effects of a high turnover rate. If it were 2012 or 2013, he'd certainly have Tony Bradley or Nassir Little back for at least one more season. Elite high school players want to get to the league as fast as possible. Roy's an excellent coach, and he'll still have talented teams, but the high turnover is something he's never had to deal with before. Lost his top 5 scorers from 2019. It's likely that he'll lose another 3-4 starters after 2020. How does he deal with essentially a new starting 5 every year? I'm an optimist, so I'll say he retires with 3.

My thoughts exactly. If you look at all of Roy’s title teams , they consisted of 3-4 top flight recruits who stayed 3-4 years during a time the college landscape has changed. Those days are all over for Ol Roy. Will he have competitive teams? Yes. However, I don’t expect Ol Roy to have this type of luxury any longer. This upcoming season will be the first year Ol Roy will have to really lean on freshman to carry his team. Should be interesting to see how he adjusts.

I don't see any more. This coming year is maybe a top 20 team if Anthony can carry the team, but they are an injury away from being mediocre. They have no one else who looks like a budding star although Brooks is not bad. Are they going to be able to bring in a couple top 10 players the following year? He got lucky with White but that was with 2 veteran stars around him.

I think Roy is in for a series of sweet 16 teams.

They get by on weak schedules, some luck, and friendly refs. 20 wins guaranteed every year. Typically should lose close to 10 games a year consisting of any good teams they play. Flame out by Sweet 16 most years is the norm.

He does win I must say. Most programs would kill to "flame out" in the Sweet 16 every year.

Reactions: jeans15
He has three, two of which he would NOT HAVE had the NCAA DONE THEIR job. Even the 2017 is tainted by the fact they easily could have been on probation.

However I will grant he has a successful system with cornerstones of a high octane offense and emphasis on rebounding. Obviously I have no use for the man and his patented and phony "aw shucks" folksy public persona. Nonetheless with a system he plays which is quite popular with players I would give him one more.
#RoyKnew

OFC

Reactions: christophero
He will get at least 1 more, and might get 2 more. He is a great coach and always winds up with Jr and Sr heavy teams that are hard as hell to beat. He has won 3 in a hurry. I never saw 3 Nattys when he showed up at Cheatland.

Reactions: jeans15
He will get at least 1 more, and might get 2 more. He is a great coach and always winds up with Jr and Sr heavy teams that are hard as hell to beat. He has won 3 in a hurry. I never saw 3 Nattys when he showed up at Cheatland.

"Cheatland" was a big part of it. OFC

Honestly I dont think Williams or K wins another one. But I hope I'm wrong.

They get by on weak schedules, some luck, and friendly refs. 20 wins guaranteed every year. Typically should lose close to 10 games a year consisting of any good teams they play. Flame out by Sweet 16 most years is the norm.
UNC plays one of the toughest schedules in basketball every year. Fact.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT