ADVERTISEMENT

G League Select Contracts

lyonhawk

All American
Sep 8, 2003
I just saw an announcement of a new type of contract the G League will begin allowing next summer. It's called a "Select Contract" and can be given to non-Draft eligible players (i.e. OADs) and they can play one season on a $125k contract.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the 2019 class. On the one hand, getting paid to play overseas has always been an option that is rarely utilized. On the other hand, this doesn't require living outside the country for a year and is directly affiliated with the NBA.

One would think it levels the playing field more fairly with a Duke vs a Clemson or a UK, vs an Alabama. The great advantage going to a Duke or UK or UNC will be more about exposure.

This will go over incredibly well with some 28 year old who is trying to make an NBA roster while making 20-40% of this contract. No way they'll take it out on the HS age kid. Right?

Why not allow NBA d-league entities to pay whatever they want for any 18 year old? This move is just as much about money as anything else, and I like it.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
This will go over incredibly well with some 28 year old who is trying to make an NBA roster while making 20-40% of this contract. No way they'll take it out on the HS age kid. Right?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking

One has to wonder if K was playing chess while the rest of the nation played Checkers. We've missed on a lot of recruits so far, but many of those we missed on might be those most eager to take advantage of this new deal. Hmmmm.

Why would I go G League at 125k???? If I'm an elite talent going to a top school, the travel, lodging, exposure and perks far outweigh what the G League could ever offer.

Plus 'the money bag' will just get bigger to attend an elite NCAA school.

The 125k is just about the G League getting more exposure and creating a bigger market, not putting money in a kids pocket...

Why would I go G League at 125k???? If I'm an elite talent going to a top school, the travel, lodging, exposure and perks far outweigh what the G League could ever offer.

Plus 'the money bag' will just get bigger to attend an elite NCAA school.

The 125k is just about the G League getting more exposure and creating a bigger market, not putting money in a kids pocket...
$125K is a nice stop gap I’d say. Plus, then you don’t need bag men. You don’t need to worry about anything at all other than basketball. The $125k is yours and no one else’s. Those bag men you’re talking about, they’re not doing it for free. They want something in return. Now here’s a way for you can turn professional immediately, within the nba system. You don’t have to go abroad. For a lot of the elite guys, it’s a year earlier to hire an agent and begin endorsement deals. And it’s one more year of actual income.

On the basketball side, it’s 24/7 hoops. There are no classes, tutors, school obligations and requirements that you have to worry about. Believe it or not that is a real thing. Now you have world class trainers, health and fitness training, and they’re even talking about having these kids go through life courses. How to manage their money, how to be a professional etc. all things the ncaa should be doing but are too stupid not too.

I don’t know what the finished product looks like for this, but to dismiss it is being naive and dare i say the same as the ncaa, head in the sand.

$125K is a nice stop gap I’d say. Plus, then you don’t need bag men. You don’t need to worry about anything at all other than basketball. The $125k is yours and no one else’s. Those bag men you’re talking about, they’re not doing it for free. They want something in return. Now here’s a way for you can turn professional immediately, within the nba system. You don’t have to go abroad. For a lot of the elite guys, it’s a year earlier to hire an agent and begin endorsement deals. And it’s one more year of actual income.

On the basketball side, it’s 24/7 hoops. There are no classes, tutors, school obligations and requirements that you have to worry about. Believe it or not that is a real thing. Now you have world class trainers, health and fitness training, and they’re even talking about having these kids go through life courses. How to manage their money, how to be a professional etc. all things the ncaa should be doing but are too stupid not too.

I don’t know what the finished product looks like for this, but to dismiss it is being naive and dare i say the same as the ncaa, head in the sand.

Agreed 100%. Not having to worry about school or classes or ANYTHING outside of ball, and getting more money than youve ever had to boot? This will interest some people, for sure.

Reactions: PixelDevil
The exposure angle is an interesting one for high picks. On the one hand, I don't think it would affect their draft stock, if the NBA can scout high schoolers and international players, I'm sure they can scout the G League too. The interesting take is regarding endorsements. Would a guy like Bagley or Ayton have signed a big endorsement deal coming out of the G League instead of Duke or Arizona.

The exposure angle is an interesting one for high picks. On the one hand, I don't think it would affect their draft stock, if the NBA can scout high schoolers and international players, I'm sure they can scout the G League too. The interesting take is regarding endorsements. Would a guy like Bagley or Ayton have signed a big endorsement deal coming out of the G League instead of Duke or Arizona.
More likely the deal would have been signed out of high school if they went directly to the G league.

I hope they get this going. Let the elite go. College basketball ain't what it used to be, and with these AAU all star circuit guys with names like Piggy, Willie, Myron, Stinky...it's doing nothing but helping ruin the one sport I have enjoyed watching for a long time. What we are hearing and seeing these last few years is only getting worse.

It's not a tough choice for me: 1-the strong possibility of a talent gap from what we've been watching or 2- talented college kids that love their team as much as we do.
I choose 2. And I don't care if Duke loses some of its "cool" status.

IMO this is a good start but I still believe the majority of elite recruits will choose a year in college over 1 year of 125K. A few reasons......

1. Most of these kids are getting paid near that amount already in college (your a fool and live in 1955 if you think most of these kids aren't getting paid under the table), plus a year of FREE education, a year at Duke is valued at what?? 55K???
2. The G-League ain't the glitz and glamour that big time college basketball is. We're talking long bus rides, connecting flights, empty gyms, cold weather, no television exposure, etc.
3. Along with point #2, some guys just wanna be seen on television, that will happen in college, not in the G-League.
4. I understand it sounds nice to be able to strictly focus on basketball, but some of these kids want and NEED the college experience. Develop better social skills, girls, friends, etc.
5. Spend 1 year in college and your 1 year closer to your degree. Yes, SOME of these OAD kids do come back and get their degrees. Yes, SOME do actually care about school.

Ultimately, I think Vernon Carey JR comes to Duke, dominates for 1 year then goes pro. And most of his peers do the same.

Reactions: jamsession3
IMO this is a good start but I still believe the majority of elite recruits will choose a year in college over 1 year of 125K. A few reasons......

1. Most of these kids are getting paid near that amount already in college (your a fool and live in 1955 if you think most of these kids aren't getting paid under the table), plus a year of FREE education, a year at Duke is valued at what?? 55K???
2. The G-League ain't the glitz and glamour that big time college basketball is. We're talking long bus rides, connecting flights, empty gyms, cold weather, no television exposure, etc.
3. Along with point #2, some guys just wanna be seen on television, that will happen in college, not in the G-League.
4. I understand it sounds nice to be able to strictly focus on basketball, but some of these kids want and NEED the college experience. Develop better social skills, girls, friends, etc.
5. Spend 1 year in college and your 1 year closer to your degree. Yes, SOME of these OAD kids do come back and get their degrees. Yes, SOME do actually care about school.

Ultimately, I think Vernon Carey JR comes to Duke, dominates for 1 year then goes pro. And most of his peers do the same.

Plenty of guys will go in the first few years. In 2-3 years it will trickle down that most of them can't hack it in the D-league.
Folks, there are always idiots that claim some elite College team could play with some historically bad NBA team. As any reasonable person knows, that is nonsense.
I'll go further. Almost no college team would be competitive with a bad D-league team. The DL team is older, more experienced, and full of college stars. The College team stars would have some success, but top to bottom the Dleague team would win, probably handily.
Bagley showed out last year at Duke. Carter, Trevon, and Trent showed flashes of potential. Bags would have had some success in the Dleague. He'd have rebounded fine, and showed the same pop around the rim. Further, I think a D league coach would have benched him until he played better D, but, even so, he'd have shown out.
Carter likely would have shown enough to warrant a first round pick. But the bigs in the D league are more bruising and physical than those in college. That might not have gone well for him.
TD and Trent would have been chained to a bench. They certainly wouldn't have shown enough to get drafted, anywhere, in any round. Thus, they'd have been stuck in two way contract hades, scraping for an opportunity.
Which is my point. Truly elite talents can probably show enough to get drafted in the D league. Guys like Cole Anthony and Vernon Carey. Isaiah Stewart? What he does well won't be as successful in the D league.
Guys outside the truly elite tier will have a good chance of failing. Which will hurt a few years worth of HS recruits. It won't take long until the people around them tell them that 1-2 years in college might be better than the uncertainty of the D league.
That 125K will be for 1 year. After that, if they don't get drafted, they will be subjected to the uncertainty of the regular D-league salaries. Some promising, but raw, players will wash out. And that will terrify all but the elite recruits into going to college.
HS recruits hate the OAD (or rather, the people around them hate it) because it exposes top HS players to the possibility of being exposed. With no OAD requirement, Trevon Duval would have been a late lottery pick, at worst. And would be a millionaire right now. Trent would have been a late first round pick, and also a millionaire. Instead, their flaws were shown to the world and they didn't get drafted as high as they would have after HS. How much worse would either have looked after a year vs D league players?
If the NBA won't draft players right out of HS, and that will never again happen, then college is the place with the lowest risk of exposure.

Reactions: jamsession3
Plenty of guys will go in the first few years. In 2-3 years it will trickle down that most of them can't hack it in the D-league.
Folks, there are always idiots that claim some elite College team could play with some historically bad NBA team. As any reasonable person knows, that is nonsense.
I'll go further. Almost no college team would be competitive with a bad D-league team. The DL team is older, more experienced, and full of college stars. The College team stars would have some success, but top to bottom the Dleague team would win, probably handily.
Bagley showed out last year at Duke. Carter, Trevon, and Trent showed flashes of potential. Bags would have had some success in the Dleague. He'd have rebounded fine, and showed the same pop around the rim. Further, I think a D league coach would have benched him until he played better D, but, even so, he'd have shown out.
Carter likely would have shown enough to warrant a first round pick. But the bigs in the D league are more bruising and physical than those in college. That might not have gone well for him.
TD and Trent would have been chained to a bench. They certainly wouldn't have shown enough to get drafted, anywhere, in any round. Thus, they'd have been stuck in two way contract hades, scraping for an opportunity.
Which is my point. Truly elite talents can probably show enough to get drafted in the D league. Guys like Cole Anthony and Vernon Carey. Isaiah Stewart? What he does well won't be as successful in the D league.
Guys outside the truly elite tier will have a good chance of failing. Which will hurt a few years worth of HS recruits. It won't take long until the people around them tell them that 1-2 years in college might be better than the uncertainty of the D league.
That 125K will be for 1 year. After that, if they don't get drafted, they will be subjected to the uncertainty of the regular D-league salaries. Some promising, but raw, players will wash out. And that will terrify all but the elite recruits into going to college.
HS recruits hate the OAD (or rather, the people around them hate it) because it exposes top HS players to the possibility of being exposed. With no OAD requirement, Trevon Duval would have been a late lottery pick, at worst. And would be a millionaire right now. Trent would have been a late first round pick, and also a millionaire. Instead, their flaws were shown to the world and they didn't get drafted as high as they would have after HS. How much worse would either have looked after a year vs D league players?
If the NBA won't draft players right out of HS, and that will never again happen, then college is the place with the lowest risk of exposure.

ESPN's Woj is reporting that the plan to allow preps to pro, forgoing college or the Dleague, (AKA HS seniors being eligible for the draft out of HS) has hit a snag. Apparently, the big sticking points are medical evaluations and the combine.
You know, the things that are largely on display during a college season.
The folks advocating for the HS players want them to be like college students who've applied for the draft, able to skip or truncate medical evaluations, and they want the option to skip the combine. The NBA wants the HS players to be subjected to a thorough medical exam, and they want the HS players to be mandated to both attend and participate in all phases of the combine (Currently no other group is subject to this).
The NBA will never again, never ever, allow HS players to go straight to the pros. Never. Did I mention it will never again happen? No matter how often I used the word "never," I didn't use it nearly enough.
HS players want to skip college because college exposes them to the risk of failure prior to signing a guaranteed contract. Essentially, the people advocating for preps to pros eligibility, want to be able to run a shell game, or perhaps a 3 card monty, wherein the NBA never gets a good look at their prospects in truly competitive settings.
Because the vast majority of HS regular season (including playoff) games aren't competitive to "elite" talents. Even top 10 national HS teams regularly play players who are juniors and sophs, as well as some players that will never be more than bench players in lower tier college leagues. Heck, the best HS soph wouldn't be a top 200 player compared to HS seniors. So it can be hard to evaluate seniors because the court is full of mediocre talents.
But at least those are structured games. The AAU circuit is worse. You know how bad most of the post season all star games are? That is 99% of the AAu games, including those that feature stars. The defense is so laughably bad at those events that they devolve into offensive exhibitions immediately. Remember, Trevon Duval was unstoppable in AAu ball. Unstoppable. He scored at will. Vs college defenders? Well, we all know how that story went (though I maintain he wasn't used in an optimal manner at Duke, but I will admit his ability to drive and finish wasn't what I hoped for).
The NBA wants to evaluate players in a reasonably competitive situation. If not college, then the D league. The Agents advocating for HS seniors to be draft eligible will never sign off on mandating combine attendance and participation (the NBA would use that to get to a point where every eligible player had to do so). It is the D league or college. It will never be preps to pros, ever again.

When I saw you were quoting yourself, I thought maybe you were providing a cliff notes version.

This is big news. The 125K I don’t think will do much to sway these elite guys to the G-league.
A million dollar endorsement deal (for a guy not ranked top 5 in his class)...now we’re talkin.

Reactions: Quavarius

This is big news. The 125K I don’t think will do much to sway these elite guys to the G-league.
A million dollar endorsement deal (for a guy not ranked top 5 in his class)...now we’re talkin.

Agreed. And now, LeBron is getting into the picture. Apparently is looking into offering high school kids a deal with Nike, plus moving to LA and training there for a year before they go to the NBA.

All this is because the NCAA has dropped the ball on paying players. If they gave D1 players a nice stipend, allowed them to profit off their jersey sales and images to some degree, I doubt this would come about.

As it is, the G-league, the deals with sneaker companies, and the entrance of LeBron and other NBA players into the picture, could radically change the NCAA landscape and also hurt college basketball.

The recent NCAA task force's recommendations were out-dated and unconscionably myopic. Pay the players.

Reactions: jwill133
Agreed. And now, LeBron is getting into the picture. Apparently is looking into offering high school kids a deal with Nike, plus moving to LA and training there for a year before they go to the NBA.

All this is because the NCAA has dropped the ball on paying players. If they gave D1 players a nice stipend, allowed them to profit off their jersey sales and images to some degree, I doubt this would come about.

As it is, the G-league, the deals with sneaker companies, and the entrance of LeBron and other NBA players into the picture, could radically change the NCAA landscape and also hurt college basketball.

The recent NCAA task force's recommendations were out-dated and unconscionably myopic. Pay the players.
Couldn't agree more with literally everything you have said.

Things are gonna drastically change these next few years, for better or worse. But ultimately, this change is happening because the NCAA it acting like it's 1965 and refuses to make changes to their outdated system.

Also...Lebron, jesus. I get it if you don't like him as a player, and if you're annoyed because ESPN talks about him 24/7. But no one can hate Lebron the person, from building a school to giving guys an alternate PAID route instead of going to college (which includes an internship with Nike). Man, Lebron is the GOAT. Off and on the court.

For anyone complaining about post length, it's not that difficult to just ignore or even block a poster instead of discouraging it. I personally enjoy reading posts that actually have real analysis in it rather than the reactionary posts that lack substance. Give me real analysis vs. "THIS PLAYER SUCKS" or "THAT PLAYER DESERVES MORE MINUTES" without anything actually backing it up.

Reactions: jwill133
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT