ADVERTISEMENT

For a strong finish...

Mac9192

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 25, 2017
I'm still hopeful for a strong finish, in spite of everything that the program has been thru. I see if someone thinks there's little chance but here's what I would love to see happen:
1--Grayson must get healthy. He is my ultimate key to Duke making a run. No disrespect to any of the other guys on team, but the team seems to play at another level when he's on.
2--Amile stays available to play. His and Matt's leadership on court is huge.
3--Frank is best point available. Here's where it gets interesting. If Allen plays like Duke needs him to, some minutes will have to be rearranged. I like Kennard a lot, a pure scorer no doubt, but I think he is playing too many minutes. Defensively, he's weakest defender team has. I think Duke's chances are slimmer if he's out there entire game. Jayson needs to go with flow, he's most versatile guy on team. When on, Mr. Tatum is a nightmare for the other team.
4--Shore up defense. Slow down guard penetration and get quality minutes from bench
Maybe I'm asking what can't be done, but until the season is over, I still believe the talent is there.

Long story short...the margin for error for this team is MUCH smaller than we all thought in November.
Grayson and Amile must be healthy (Grayson looked like he could barely move last night.)
Matt must continue his outstanding D and hit his open 3 pointers.
Luke must carry our offense at times and play at least average D.
Jayson must continue to be our best all-around player and not revert back to January form.
Frank needs to play like he did last night, he is capable of winning us a tournament game.
Harry and Marques need to give energy/rebounds/dunks/blocks off the bench.

If all those things happen than I like our odds against anyone.

All of the above, and maybe an unexpected boost from one of the bit players from the bench? Such as, a big half from Harry?

And good health above all else.

a lot of talent it may come together for 6 games stranger things have happened gonna be a scary 4 or 5 seed.

a lot of talent it may come together for 6 games stranger things have happened gonna be a scary 4 or 5 seed.
Yea wouldn't wanna be a one seed staring at a potential 4 seed Duke matchup in the seeet 16.

Long story short...the margin for error for this team is MUCH smaller than we all thought in November.
Grayson and Amile must be healthy (Grayson looked like he could barely move last night.)
Matt must continue his outstanding D and hit his open 3 pointers.
Luke must carry our offense at times and play at least average D.
Jayson must continue to be our best all-around player and not revert back to January form.
Frank needs to play like he did last night, he is capable of winning us a tournament game.
Harry and Marques need to give energy/rebounds/dunks/blocks off the bench.

If all those things happen than I like our odds against anyone.

If all of those things happen we'll win every game going forward by 10+ easily

We just got a little help with potentially giving Grayson and Amile extra rest and getting healthy. Wake Forest just beat Louisville, so if we win on Saturday and Notre Dame beats Louisville on Saturday then we'll move up to the 4 seed and get the double bye.

We just got a little help with potentially giving Grayson and Amile extra rest and getting healthy. Wake Forest just beat Louisville, so if we win on Saturday and Notre Dame beats Louisville on Saturday then we'll move up to the 4 seed and get the double bye.

Is that the only way? I was looking and wasn't sure. If we win and lville wins what would we be!

Is that the only way? I was looking and wasn't sure. If we win and lville wins what would we be!
If we win and Louisville wins then we, Louisville and Notre Dame would be tied at 12-6. I'm going off the standings listed on the 2016-17 Duke Wikipedia page and I just checked it again and it's actually showing us in 4th right now, it had us in 5th earlier, so based on that, we might get the 4 seed if we win Saturday.

Reactions: pisgah101
If we win Saturday I think we'll be a 3 but if we lose then we are looking at a possible 5-6.

If we win Saturday I think we'll be a 3 but if we lose then we are looking at a possible 5-6.
If we win Saturday then at worst we'd be a 5 seed because we'd be in a 3 way tie with some combination of Louisville, Notre Dame or Florida State. The 6 seed would go to Virginia Tech, Miami or Virginia depending on which of them wins or loses and which of them has the tiebreaker between them. With Louisville and Notre Dame playing each other then as long as we win then we get the 3 seed but if we lose then I think we'll be the 4 seed depending on the outcome of the Louisville/Notre Dame game.

If there's more than one way tie I think it goes record against best team, (UNC) and we'd win every tie breaker.

Actually upon further review it looks like winning percentage against everyone in the tie. Assuming FSU wins and the tie is ND FSU Duke and Lou, our 2-2 record against those teams would do pretty well. Any further ties would be against record against top team and we may even land a 2 seed

i did more calculations and it looks like we have no shot to get a 2 seed but a win will lock us up a 3 seed. Fsu beats us in a 4 way tiebreaker and if they lose but Louisville wins, Louisville beats us in a 3 way tie breaker. I don't see a scenario that gets us up to 2. But win and 3 would be nice too.

Last edited:
If we win and Louisville wins then we, Louisville and Notre Dame would be tied at 12-6. I'm going off the standings listed on the 2016-17 Duke Wikipedia page and I just checked it again and it's actually showing us in 4th right now, it had us in 5th earlier, so based on that, we might get the 4 seed if we win Saturday.
Win Saturday boys!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT