ADVERTISEMENT

Flamboyant athletes.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
This may go no where but you never know. Who are the most flamboyant we can name.

I'll start it off with Broadway Joe Namath. The clothes, the women, the guarantee Super Bowl wnd the swag make him an icon in the game. No he wasn't no where near the best qb of all time but he may be one of the most memorable athletes of all time not just as a qb or even a football player. He was something special. If he were playing today he would be filling up the sports headlines and always on ESPN. OFC

This may go no where but you never know. Who are the most flamboyant we can name.

I'll start it off with Broadway Joe Namath. The clothes, the women, the guarantee Super Bowl wnd the swag make him an icon in the game. No he wasn't no where near the best qb of all time but he may be one of the most memorable athletes of all time not just as a qb or even a football player. He was something special. If he were playing today he would be filling up the sports headlines and always on ESPN. OFC
Dude, Dennis Rodman all the way. The clothes, the attitude, the women, sure he did the dirty work on the court but off of it, no one was more out there than Rodman.

Reactions: skysdad
Reggie Jackson. Even before he became a Yankee he had a knack for the lime light. Once he came to NY that just multiplied. He wasn't the straw that stirred the drink like he stated but he stirred things up for sure. His differences with skipper Billy Martin, Captain Thurman Munson and owner with George Stienbrenner was always making head lines. I did get to see him and the other Yankees play in person in 1977. He did nothing special then but later on in the W. S. he put his money where his mouth was by those 3 consecutive home runs in the clinching game. Mr. October is what they called him. Being a Yankee fan his time in NY was a lot of fun. OFC

Deion" Prime Time" Sanders. Started way back in college as one of the most electrifying players for FSU. Continued in pro football and baseball. Dude had quarterbacks scared to throw to his side of the field and made sure he made it known lol.

Reactions: skysdad

I loved Joe Willie, Sky! My 2 teams have always been Duke & the Minnesota Vikings, but I did root for the Jets back when they were in the AFL (the league, not conference), and Joe Namath was the reason. The man had basically no knees, and hobbled around like a 90 year old man, but he could really throw the pigskin!
Yeah, his passing percentage wasn't so hot (forced a few too many passes in tight spots), but he was a big play maker, and you have to remember this was back in the days when you could basically rape and plunder a receiver all the way down the field.
I have no doubt he would be an excellent qb in the league nowadays with the way the rules allow almost no contact from a cb on a receiver.
With a healthy set of knees...wow...it's hard telling what he could have done.

Oh, and yeah he was flamboyant alright. Remember the panty hose commercials, and Noxzema? And his nightclub, Bachelor III. A big time ladies man. Yep, he was something else!

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad and hpnole
You talking to a rolex wearing , diamond ring wearing, kiss stealing, wooo, wheeling dealing, limousine riding, jet flying son of a gun. And I’m having a hard time holding these aligaters out. Wooo

Jack Johnson

That's true. I've seen clips of. At a time when African Americans weren't given any recognition he was such a good boxer that he just couldn't be ignored. He was outspoken and took advantage of his greatness to express himself. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT