ADVERTISEMENT

Finally at Peace

Really sorry to hear of this loss, Dirt. I know it's a release from suffering for him, but the finality of it all is still really tough. I've heard it said that the cruelty of Alzheimer's is that you grieve losing them repeatedly even while they're still alive.

I pray that the fond memories and adoration you mention are a source of comfort even while you grieve.

I'm exhausted at this point, but I wanted to post this because I've 'talked' privately through email with Sky, DJ, and FTB about it, and have mentioned it on here before also. My big brother who has been fighting Alzheimer's finally succumbed to the ravages of this miserable disease early Friday morning of March 1. It was very painful to watch someone who was not only a brother I looked up to my entire life, and considered a hero, but being 19 years older than me he was much like a 2nd father. I won't bore you with some of the things he did for me personally, for my family (and others), but I will only say this...he was always there, whether that meant his time, his money, whatever was needed...ALWAYS.
I thought I could get through this okay, but I'm sobbing as I write this, and I' don't mind admitting it, but I'm so happy that God granted him relief from the hell he has had to endure, and I know he's finally at peace in a better place.
During this time my other remaining brother (who has advanced COPD, and congestive heart failure) was in the hospital (again), and released the day before my big brother died. So, I'm very thankful he is still with us, and considering how sick he is he's doing fairly well.

I'll leave all of you with this. No matter how bad things are, if you look close enough there is always something to be grateful for.

I'll be posting on here soon again, in fact I want to post something about the Duke/Wake game, and maybe I will later tonight. Take care, and God bless all.

OFC
I’m so sorry to hear. Much love to you buddy.

I've read all the posts in this thread, and I am truly overcome by the outpouring of support, love, and prayers for my family and myself. I thank (and my family thanks) each and every one of you. It's very comforting in this particular time to have all these good wishes to help uplift our spirits.
It's something I won't ever forget (well, that is until Alzheimer's pries it from my cold dead memory). Sorry for the gallows humor, but it's how I roll, and my way of trying to cope.
Again, thank you to everyone from the bottom of my heart.

Love,
Dirt

OFC

Sorry to hear OAD. I’m glad your brother is finally at peace. I as well have 2 brothers who are significantly older (47, 41... I’m 27) and they have done things for me that I can’t thank them enough for in multiple different ways. I couldn’t imagine losing them. My thoughts and prayers go out to you man. Keep your head up, cherish the memories and continue being the great person your brothers are surely proud of.

OAD I noticed that I hadn't seen you posting for the past several days and I was worried maybe something had happened. I'm so truly sorry for your loss. It is such a vicious and terrible disease and it's never easy to watch a family member go through that. I've experienced it with two of my grandparents and it takes a toll on everyone. Many prayers to you and your family. Your brother was lucky to have such a caring little brother. Like many others have said on here we have to cherish our memories with our family and treasure all the times we can with them because it's over before we know it.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Dirt, my heart breaks for you and your family. I will be praying for all of you and for your brother who has his own health issues. I know this is a trying time for your family. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. I watched it take my grandfather slowly over 7 years and now my aunt over the last 4. It is brutal and humbling when you're faced with it. You're a great guy, Dirt. I don't frequent the board enough but you always remember me and make me feel like I am part of the Duke family here. I will continue to be a prayer warrior for you and your family. God bless.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Dirt, I never really know what to say during these times. It sounds like your brother was a wonderful man who cherished family. That disease is truly horrific and I've seen family members suffer terribly with it, so I understand completely the feeling of your loved one being at peace. Sending healing prayers your way. God Bless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT