ADVERTISEMENT

Finally at Peace

OldasdirtDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 16, 2009
I'm exhausted at this point, but I wanted to post this because I've 'talked' privately through email with Sky, DJ, and FTB about it, and have mentioned it on here before also. My big brother who has been fighting Alzheimer's finally succumbed to the ravages of this miserable disease early Friday morning of March 1. It was very painful to watch someone who was not only a brother I looked up to my entire life, and considered a hero, but being 19 years older than me he was much like a 2nd father. I won't bore you with some of the things he did for me personally, for my family (and others), but I will only say this...he was always there, whether that meant his time, his money, whatever was needed...ALWAYS.
I thought I could get through this okay, but I'm sobbing as I write this, and I' don't mind admitting it, but I'm so happy that God granted him relief from the hell he has had to endure, and I know he's finally at peace in a better place.
During this time my other remaining brother (who has advanced COPD, and congestive heart failure) was in the hospital (again), and released the day before my big brother died. So, I'm very thankful he is still with us, and considering how sick he is he's doing fairly well.

I'll leave all of you with this. No matter how bad things are, if you look close enough there is always something to be grateful for.

I'll be posting on here soon again, in fact I want to post something about the Duke/Wake game, and maybe I will later tonight. Take care, and God bless all.

OFC

Wow Dirt. Thanks for letting us know. My family will keep you and your family in our prayers. So sad. Hang in there buddy. Your “Duke family” is here for ya.

I'm exhausted at this point, but I wanted to post this because I've 'talked' privately through email with Sky, DJ, and FTB about it, and have mentioned it on here before also. My big brother who has been fighting Alzheimer's finally succumbed to the ravages of this miserable disease early Friday morning of March 1. It was very painful to watch someone who was not only a brother I looked up to my entire life, and considered a hero, but being 19 years older than me he was much like a 2nd father. I won't bore you with some of the things he did for me personally, for my family (and others), but I will only say this...he was always there, whether that meant his time, his money, whatever was needed...ALWAYS.
I thought I could get through this okay, but I'm sobbing as I write this, and I' don't mind admitting it, but I'm so happy that God granted him relief from the hell he has had to endure, and I know he's finally at peace in a better place.
During this time my other remaining brother (who has advanced COPD, and congestive heart failure) was in the hospital (again), and released the day before my big brother died. So, I'm very thankful he is still with us, and considering how sick he is he's doing fairly well.

I'll leave all of you with this. No matter how bad things are, if you look close enough there is always something to be grateful for.

I'll be posting on here soon again, in fact I want to post something about the Duke/Wake game, and maybe I will later tonight. Take care, and God bless all.

OFC

So true, @OldasdirtDevil - prayers to you and your family through this difficult time.

Words my mother used to always say to me, that have resonated my whole life, and are words to live by as far as I'm concerned, "When times are bad, be glad they're not worse."

God speed my friend...

Sorry for your loss, OAD. Cherish those memories and continue to celebrate your brother every day you have left. It's what he would want. Thoughts, prayers and best wishes to you and your family at this time and going forward.

ODD, I don’t know what to say. I know you have struggled with this for a long time. I’m so sorry to hear about your brother. He is with God now and smiling down to you. You are a great man that has always put the needs of those around you before yourself. I hope you find strength in your faith and remember the good times. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything. I’ll be praying for you.

Dirt I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your big Brother. I know the pain you are going through as Sunday was the one year anniversary of my Daughter Alisons death. My prayers are with you and your family.

OFC
Damn ODD, I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a great grandmother succumb to Alzheimer's. It's horrible, terrible disease. Prayers to you and yours man.

OAD, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but also just glad to hear from you. Be strong my friend, and know that you are thought of often. God Bless you and your family and take care of yourself.
Your buddy - JC

So sorry for your loss Dirt. I can honestly say I know how you feel. I was the baby of the family and after I completed Basic and AIT, it was about 2 years after I got to Germany, my first military duty station, when my mom was diagnosed with an early stage of alzheimers. Over my next 10 years it got progressively worse to the point she had no idea who she was talking to when the family went to visit.
She finally passed 2 years before my retirement date. But the condition she was in, I knew she was no longer suffering. Took me a long time to get over the fact she never got to see what I turned out to be. Trust me I know what you are going through in reference to your passing of your brother. The pain never goes away, you just learn to deal with it. I'm praying for you and your family. I'm praying that somehow you find the strength to deal with your loss the best way you and your family can. I've told myself everyday after I lost my mom and dad, try to be better today than you were yesterday. Sometimes it works, and then there's days that I struggle. I truly appreciate you sharing this with the DI Family. Praying for you brother.

I just now saw this my friend. My heart pours out to you. I know what family means to you. What a great example you have been to all of us. His battle is over. I know about Alzheimer's as my wife's mom suffered for many years. You and other members of your family will miss him. He is now complete. I promise you this Lee. You will see him again and you will know him as your brother. My prayers go out to all of your family. What courage you have shown us all. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT