ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Real sweet win tonight. Without Bagley for 75% of the game, Trent having an off night, foul trouble, getting a lot of shots blocked and a real poor shooting 1st have from the field and free throw line. But along came Grayson and his heart will, talent and leadership led us. Hats off to Duval, Carter and Javin. The MSU players were definitely baiting Carter. Grayson's interview after the game was so captain like as he acknowledged the 3 mentioned above. As I watched this game I couldn't help but think of Jeff Capel Jr. and his spirit watching over the Blue Devils tonight. Great start for the season. Coach K surely does have Izzo's number. Really don't want to play them again. Once is enough for me. OFC

I told y’all! If not for bagley out and horrible horrible refs we win by 20 ..I will add unbiased that both sides got horrible calls! I understand they r human and miss a call every now and then but EVERY posseion!!!’ For stretch!! It’s inexcusable ..thy need to Ben investigated !! Bs .. for couple years now it’s gone way south and everybody’s biting their tounge...but forget that ..we missed bagley and on top of that and pretty much Michigan states home we beat them all game besides some bs bad call / injury momentum shifts ! With freshman !! 1st big game ...we won’t lose unlesss FTs kill us which need to improve! Our guys won’t used to as much altering their shot that had to do and come out flat on d the2nd and Bolden struggled getting out on threats but play pretty good otherwise ..Allen was huge as expected ...but this is just a taste of what our nervous freshman can do and will! I seen it first hand were the best ive ever seen and only duke will beat us .were deep. Too .. we faced a lot of adversity that went MSU way and we still won ... by no means am I saying it’s just bad calls against duke also it’s the ncaaa fraud bs ..ruins games ..our zones good!! MSU made a lot of good shots ..refs r inconsistent ..goodnight godliness ...thank god I had heart attack ..duke

I stand by it. He had to do the dirty work mostly alone when Bagley went down. He kept a lot of ways alive and took on the whole MSU front line himself much of the game, especially on the defensive end.

I was at that game. :)
I changed my work schedule just so I could get home to watch it. It was Epic

Reactions: skysdad
Loved the bench. K played a lot of guys and a lot of different lineups, and there's a lot to be excited about. Javin is a really nice energy player.

Reactions: hart2chesson
23517691_1942881335740298_2225780384906969363_n.png

I thought MSU was equally as good as us WITHOUT Bags except with one exception. They don't have Grayson Freaking Allen as their shooting guard. From what we saw this game Grayson is the best scorer in all of college. Also didn't have Coach K.
I thought Duke was still better without Bags. Duval ate their slow guards up all night and Duke more than held their own on the boards without him.

Loved the bench. K played a lot of guys and a lot of different lineups, and there's a lot to be excited about. Javin is a really nice energy player.

I thought our best lineup in the first half was Wendell, Javin, Goldwire, Duval Allen. I wasn't expecting that to be so efdective.

There've been a lot of previous seasons where we thought we looked deep, but our first big game, 3 or 4 into the season, we've used a really short rotation. This shows both that we really are deeper, and also that K coached this game as intensely as an NCAAT game, but w/ the perspective of an early season game where they're learning themselves as a team.

Reactions: Kobe #1
No disrespect to JJ, but I'd take Allen 8 days a week. He's a complete player and will lead these guys.

Me too Mac!!

And I think we're better with or without him too.. MSU is prob the 2nd best team in the country too

The travels and finding the confidence in his jumper.

I respectfully disagree. I think his performance showed the exact opposite of mental instability. He could have let those misses and turnovers determine his performance. Aside from Grayson’s shooting and Wendell’s rebounding, Tre’s solid, steady play down the stretch is the only thing the team had at times.

Before the season, K said Tre hadn’t found his verve. I think he proved he had it tonight and then some.

Duval made a number of layups at crucial moments that kept MSU from going on runs, and his defense is amazing! He set up Allen on just about everything and even got a shout out from Allen at the end of the game. He's as much the reason we won as anyone! I was more impressed with him then I thought I'd be, and I had high hopes!

I never post during the game cause I'm too busy watching or screaming but I enjoy reading though everyones posts afterwards.

1st: Calm down lol Bagley got poked in the eye. It wasn't like he had an Allen Ray situation!

2nd: like I stated a week ago (not so humble brag) Grayson Allen is the best college basketball player in the world!

3rd: how nice to see us use our depth and trust our bench

4th: how ya like that rebounding performance vs what is regarded as the best rebounding team year in and year out?!?!?!

5th: Love Izzo... K owns his ass!

6th: Vrank isn't our next Zoubs..... Bolden is!

7th: I'm drunk posting and rambling..... LETS GO DUUUUKEEEE!!!!

Last edited:
Loved our rebounding tonight AND the contributions from the bench!

I know we were in a zone, but we still gave up too many 3-pointers tonight. We shot better from the free throw line and I think Duke is still
undefeated in games Vrank plays in. Someone check that for me.

Love seeing an active PG that can be disruptive on defense which leads to easy offense in transition.

As I said before the season, we don't need a dozen peremiter shooters when we can crash the boards for extra possessions and get steals and points in transition.

We will look more like UNC than Duke this year. Hopefully it's 2017 UNC and not 2016 UNC.

Reactions: dukehokie
Let’s talk about Tre for a minute. It has been a while since I’ve been hat proud of a Duke player. The kid killed it out there tonight.

- The length of this team is mentioned a lot. It starts with Tre. 6’2-6’3 with a 6’10 wingspan. That’s stupid length. Another Duke guard boasted measurable like that too.

- His shot is a work in progress, but he didn’t let his misses dictate his play. How mature is that?

- This is now 5+ point guards he has hassled into multiple turnovers and bad games. The dude is the truth on defense. We’ve had plenty of point guards kill us in the past. He might be our best defender at the 1 spot since Duhon.

- He went to the Kyrie Irving school of glass spinning. Layups in traffic against 2 or 3 defenders are automatic with him. He’s super dynamic.

Loving what Tricky has brought to the team. We said it before the season. There will be times he makes bad plays that create runs the wrong way, and there’s will be times his talent alone wins games for us. The latter was true tonight.

Let’s talk about Tre for a minute. It has been a while since I’ve been hat proud of a Duke player. The kid killed it out there tonight.

- The length of this team is mentioned a lot. It starts with Tre. 6’2-6’3 with a 6’10 wingspan. That’s stupid length. Another Duke guard boasted measurable like that too.

- His shot is a work in progress, but he didn’t let his misses dictate his play. How mature is that?

- This is now 5+ point guards he has hassled into multiple turnovers and bad games. The dude is the truth on defense. We’ve had plenty of point guards kill us in the past. He might be our best defender at the 1 spot since Duhon.

- He went to the Kyrie Irving school of glass spinning. Layups in traffic against 2 or 3 defenders are automatic with him. He’s super dynamic.

Loving what Tricky has brought to the team. We said it before the season. There will be times he makes bad plays that create runs the wrong way, and there’s will be times his talent alone wins games for us. The latter was true tonight.

He and Grayson were causing havoc at the top of that zone, and they could be aggressive because of the bigs playing behind them. Interesting choice for Coach K to go to it.

I thought Trent's D was sneaky good too.

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT