ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS. LOUISVILLE POST-GAME THREAD***

Why is no one talking about the slap to the head Grayson got. Grayson would have been tossed for it and it would of been headline news. I know he had the other guys arm but so did Elon player when Allen retaliated.

Seriously?With all the tripping crap he pulls and you're wondering why this happened? A good attitude adjustment is what he needs period.

Defense and reduce to's. Instant change and the chemistry will come in time. Good to see Javin and Bolden play.

Personally think a whole week break between games here will help a significant amount. At least in terms of getting on the same page, one way or another, and hopefully mitigating some bigger flaws that can't be fixed by a proverbial band-aid.

I do not see where playing 9-10 guys (as that is what poster you are responding to said not 10-12) with at least two of those getting 5-7 minutes - again as poster said - will chase away 5 star talent.

10 man rotation example: 5-7 minutes for two guys is approx. 12 minutes (averaging to 6) of game time. That leaves 23.5 minutes per game for 8 players. Then if you average two of the nonstarters to 12.5 minutes a game each (25 minutes total) and that leaves the top 6 having 28.83 minutes apiece.

Just food for thought - I am not advocating the above rotation - just showing playing a 10 man rotation would not deprive 5 stars from enough minutes and chase them away IMO.

Jayson Tatum: 31 Minutes
Harry Giles: 19 Minutes
Grayson Allen 36 minutes
Luke Kennard: 39 Minutes
Matt Jones: 36 Minutes
Chase Jeter: 17 Minutes
Javin DeLaurier: 7 Minutes
Frank Jackson: 10 Minutes
Marques Bolden: 5 Minutes

Hmmmm.

Week off after 2 losses equals soul search time. Amile will play next Sat & bring interior defense. Tatum isn't ready for this level mentally & needs to lose mins for team development. His mid-range is nowhere near what was advertised.

Time to come together fellas!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Personally think a whole week break between games here will help a significant amount. At least in terms of getting on the same page, one way or another, and hopefully mitigating some bigger flaws that can't be fixed by a proverbial band-aid.

It's a good time for the break. Probably will help this board also. We are posting no better than Duke's playing. We seem to know what Duke's problems as a basketball team is or we think we do. Maybe we need to look at our own weak game here and make some adjustments and we includes me. We all seem to get into this rut just like our team does each year and for some reason they coincide. I'm gonna try to get my act together and do my part in making this board what it should be and that's the best. But nothing like a good winning streak with a couple of blowouts to get us back on track right. Love all of you guys because you post with passion. We are Duke fans. We can't help it. It's our nature. Looking so forward to the DI posters game coming on 2/4 or 2/18. That's gonna be something else. We might get tossed out of our own place so we gotta behave. On second thought hof coach roy williams won't be there so no problem. I'm happy for those who never have been to Cameron. I plan on bringing my own musical instrument to the game and play along with the pep band when they play " Devil With The Blue Dress On and Can't Turn You Loose." I play a wonderful kazoo. OFC

Week off after 2 losses equals soul search time. Amile will play next Sat & bring interior defense. Tatum isn't ready for this level mentally & needs to lose mins for team development. His mid-range is nowhere near what was advertised.

Time to come together fellas!

I hate criticizing college players because they are amateurs, but if I see selfishness that it bringing down the team, I think it's fair to mention it. He needs to stop hogging the ball when it gets in his hands. He's an inefficient player. He doesn't give effort on defense, blocking out, and he NEVER gets a 50/50 ball (most of the team doesn't). The team isn't gelling because, as stated by Luke, there are egos getting in the way. Tatum needs to change the way he's playing or he needs to be benched for the good of the team.

Heh, blue 88, hart. You guys aren't comprehending. Nowhere in my post did I deny Grayson played a hell of a game. Reread. I'm talking about his ingame antics. He needs to trim it back. Record a game on DVR , rewatch and just watch him. I love the kid, he just pulls a lot of unnecessary crap. If you don't see it you're blind as a bat. It's costing him, right now. Yea he got a lil love slap on the floor. He had the guy in a frigging arm bar on the way down. He STILL has a chance but the Clock is ticking. We need him this season and right now he's on thin ice. He's got to man up and focus, and I don't mean score 20 points.

Reactions: Mpm277
And agreed on Tatum, he has much to learn , but actually, if you think about it, he's just beginning.

Heh, blue 88, hart. You guys aren't comprehending. Nowhere in my post did I deny Grayson played a hell of a game. Reread. I'm talking about his ingame antics. He needs to trim it back. Record a game on DVR , rewatch and just watch him. I love the kid, he just pulls a lot of unnecessary crap. If you don't see it you're blind as a bat. It's costing him, right now. Yea he got a lil love slap on the floor. He had the guy in a frigging arm bar on the way down. He STILL has a chance but the Clock is ticking. We need him this season and right now he's on thin ice. He's got to man up and focus, and I don't mean score 20 points.

Hey Show, I don't think you can fairly single out Grayson for that play today...Their arms were locked and he couldnt have pulled Mitchell down from the angle the way they fell.Grayson deserves some credit for not getting up and popping Mitchell back IMO...

OFC

Reactions: Baller224
I hate criticizing college players because they are amateurs, but if I see selfishness that it bringing down the team, I think it's fair to mention it. He needs to stop hogging the ball when it gets in his hands. He's an inefficient player. He doesn't give effort on defense, blocking out, and he NEVER gets a 50/50 ball (most of the team doesn't). The team isn't gelling because, as stated by Luke, there are egos getting in the way. Tatum needs to change the way he's playing or he needs to be benched for the good of the team.

Nice post...

OFC

I thought Giles played well today, he was bouncing around on defense much more than any other game so far.

I consider the play with Mitchell a wash. It looked like two guys going hard after the ball, prior to the slap anyways. Other than that I didn't notice anything that was alarming that he needed to clean up. I was at the game and haven't had a chance to rewatch it so I suppose there could be something. I guess you could say the "call selling" as Bilas said could be eliminated, but that's his game and I don't know how much that'll ever change.

If people are going to bring up the arm bar then you have to bring up the arm bar the Elon kid did to cause Grayson to react and trip him of the slap in the back of the head by the FSU kid on the trip. If you don't see those then you're blind. Yes their arms were locked but those other two things happened and no one cared about them.

I consider the play with Mitchell a wash. It looked like two guys going hard after the ball, prior to the slap anyways. Other than that I didn't notice anything that was alarming that he needed to clean up. I was at the game and haven't had a chance to rewatch it so I suppose there could be something. I guess you could say the "call selling" as Bilas said could be eliminated, but that's his game and I don't know how much that'll ever change.
Other than the Mitchell contact I didn't c anything too alarming. I know Grayson has brought this on himself but the amount of boos in that stadium and the chants when Grayson got the ball was too much. It was awful. I felt bad for him, maybe even almost sad for him. It was terrible, but this will continue every time Duke goes on the road. Just something to expect.

The team looked much better than the Florida State game. Showed some fight and a month from now they could be pretty good.

Other than the Mitchell contact I didn't c anything too alarming. I know Grayson has brought this on himself but the amount of boos in that stadium and the chants when Grayson got the ball was too much. It was awful. I felt bad for him, maybe even almost sad for him. It was terrible, but this will continue every time Duke goes on the road. Just something to expect.
One time he didn't check in correctly, he so he stepped off the court and they cheered, then stepped back onto the court they booed. As a fan it was distracting, I don't know how it was to them on the court but I don't see how it couldn't be. They need to have the managers in practice just boo everytime he touches the ball similar to how they pipe in noise during football practice haha

One time he didn't check in correctly, he so he stepped off the court and they cheered, then stepped back onto the court they booed. As a fan it was distracting, I don't know how it was to them on the court but I don't see how it couldn't be. They need to have the managers in practice just boo everytime he touches the ball similar to how they pipe in noise during football practice haha
Where were u sitting? I was in section 117

If people are going to bring up the arm bar then you have to bring up the arm bar the Elon kid did to cause Grayson to react and trip him of the slap in the back of the head by the FSU kid on the trip. If you don't see those then you're blind. Yes their arms were locked but those other two things happened and no one cared about them.

And for those reasons to me, is why I only really blame Grayson for the first Louisville trip....and the Elon kick and today's Louisville slap to me are in par with one another imo

And for those reasons to me, is why I only really blame Grayson for the first Louisville trip....and the Elon kick and today's Louisville slap to me are in par with one another imo
Well I still blame him for all of them, but yes he was provoked in 2 of the 3. Santa Ana & him were going at it pretty good and Santa Ana was grabbing and twisting his wrists and stuff the last few possessions before trip #3 occurred. Grayson is the one who lost his composure though where the other players did not. As far as the Mitchell situation, I thought Mitchell deserved a flagrant or a foul on that at the very least. ESPN SC reshowed it, but sure didn't slow it down frame by frame like we are used to seeing with Grayson.

Dnutts: "oh I don't know, i always bite. Go ask Mr Owl."

ncaa9636: "Mr Owl, how come no one talking about the slap to the head Grayson got?"

Mr Owl: "hmmm...lets find out. uhh one trip, uhh two trip, uhh threeeee...
uuh THREE trip. That is why!" :D

Ok prick, bad time for you to be over here flaming. Run along.

Dnutts: "oh I don't know, i always bite. Go ask Mr Owl."

ncaa9636: "Mr Owl, how come no one talking about the slap to the head Grayson got?"

Mr Owl: "hmmm...lets find out. uhh one trip, uhh two trip, uhh threeeee...
uuh THREE trip. That is why!" :D
Damn dude, what grade are you in? 6th? 7th? Nah can't be, my 7th grader has more sense than you.

OFC

lol...a classic and you don't even know!

"Classic" indeed and Fedora knew when it was announced...He never missed a game. He should not have been eligible for the Duke-UNC game in 2012. He played anyway, but Jameson Crowder's TD catch lifted the Devils to win 34-31.

Glad you liked it!

OFC

Roger that Show. Just having fun with the BEST rivalry in the game is all! You know, like you guys do to us.

I'm running now.
You're a sucker puncher. How brave to come over, ruffle some feathers, have a laugh, then scamper away. Way to show off your intellect. What value are you adding? Just seeking personal satisfaction? That's what real life is for.

Boy...you are really Maddddd on this here free board! That 2012 stuff been weighing heavy on your mind for sometime now. But go ahead... let that stuff out before you burst a blood vessel.
But since we are talking BB...how about stay on topic and partake in answering the question that ncaa9636 has asked. The question: why know one is talking about the slap that Grayson got? Can you help him out with this pls?

Thanks Sir. Friends?

Welcome, you betcha...Sure, friends like Roy and McCants.....ooooh, "Dnutts" shot! Lmao...

OFC

I appreciate this post, Show. I try to be as unbiased as possible and Allen is such a mixed bag for me. He's *insanely* hard working, he's talented, and ridiculously passionate - everything I want in a Duke player and all the things that make me proud he's one of ours. But then coupled with that, his tripping incidents, extremely obvious call selling, cringe worthy head snaps, etc., are just so embarrassing at this point. No doubt those things stem from his passion for the game and to win, but it would be nice if he could divorce those things from one another. He's too good to have everyone merely focus on the negative.

I am not excusing his actions, by any means.However, regardless of what plays out, Grayson's legacy to me is his insertion in the 2015 title game. Even K admitted we appeared dead in the water at 46-38....GA turned the game around, enabling a comeback on the way to K's 5th!!!
#ILoveGrayson

OFC

To anyone that thinks Grayson is doing things (other than the previous tripping incidents) that no one else is doing needs to pick out a few players and dvr them...and analyze their every play frame by frame...just like Grayson is being done, and you'll see that most everyone grabs, armbars, pushes, etc., to get an advantage. That's why there are those things called 'FOULS'. Grayson is not some monster that is playing outside the boundaries of college basketball...he is just being 'freeze framed', and picked apart nonstop. No one holds up well to that.

OFC

To anyone that thinks Grayson is doing things (other than the previous tripping incidents) that no one else is doing needs to pick out a few players and dvr them...and analyze their every play frame by frame...just like Grayson is being done, and you'll see that most everyone grabs, armbars, pushes, etc., to get an advantage. That's why there are those things called 'FOULS'. Grayson is not some monster that is playing outside the boundaries of college basketball...he is just being 'freeze framed', and picked apart nonstop. No one hol

OFC

Magnified exactly OADD!! Nice post!

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
To anyone that thinks Grayson is doing things (other than the previous tripping incidents) that no one else is doing needs to pick out a few players and dvr them...and analyze their every play frame by frame...just like Grayson is being done, and you'll see that most everyone grabs, armbars, pushes, etc., to get an advantage. That's why there are those things called 'FOULS'. Grayson is not some monster that is playing outside the boundaries of college basketball...he is just being 'freeze framed', and picked apart nonstop. No one holds up well to that.

OFC

Very accurate and great post

Excellent post OAD. Grayson is and will be under the microscope from now on in every game for Duke and beyond. He is my favorite Duke player and though I don't condone his on court antics I do love him as a player. Like him or not, Grayson is the best hand we've been dealt and we have to play the hand. If our cheating competitors, God bless them, had Grayson playing for them they would be tired of his shananigans but they would support him and cringe every time he fights for position or a loose ball or drives for the basket, hopefully just as we do.

Here is the thing. Yes Grayson has done some things and brought some things upon himself but he does not deserve to be on every segment of ESPN (sports reporters, during interviews of high school kids, being told that he should be punched in the face by Michelle beadle on sports nation) BUT BUT BUT. THERE IS ONE THING HE DID THAT ISNT MENTIONED ENOUGH. He came in and turned around the national championship game in our favor making the final four all tourney team. So yes he may be walking out of Duke with a reputation but he is also walking out as an All American. An academic all American. And with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RING. All the people who hate him can go to hell. He is and always will be one of my favorite Duke players in my 40 year following. So I think all those uncheat fans and media types who love talking crap can go home and tweet with their ring less fingers.

One of the worst things about this whole situation is the fact that a lot of people are going to use these tripping incidents as a way to diminish the career he's had at Duke. Instead of talking about all of the amazing things he accomplished, a lot of the narrative will be about the trips. It's so unfortunate because he's accomplished things that most players could only dream of. The media is playing a large role in maintaining the persona of Grayson Allen the douche instead of Grayson Allen: The All-American, Academic All-American, and overall great player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT