ADVERTISEMENT

DUKE IN THE NBA

Jahlil Okafor led New Orleans with 25 points, 14 rebounds and five assists in a 117-110 win over Detroit. Frank Jackson added 13 points and eight rebounds in the win.

I was at that game. Jah's first and second half were night and day. He had something like 19 pts and 8 rebounds at the half. Then all but disappeared. He was being uber-aggressive against Andre Drummond in the first half. Backing him down, taking him off the dribble, etc. In the second half, the Pistons sat Andre for most of the time and replaced him with Christian Wood, a little-used third year player. Jah seemed to immediately switch to a "pass and screen" big man on offense, not at all looking for his shot. No idea if he was tired, hurt, or somehow felt more comfortable going up against Drummond than Wood. But it was really odd.

Frank looked good and played most of the minutes down the stretch and in OT.

I was a little disappointed. I got tix to the game to see the Duke guys play. But Zion, Ingram, JJ, and Luke K were all out. So, only 2/6 of the eligible Duke guys played. It was still fun to watch Jah and Frank, but not as much as if the other guys had played.

Just a reminder for anyone whose head has been buried in the sand this last week...

A little known former Dukie named Zion Williamson makes his NBA debut tonight for the Pelicans at 9:30 EST on ESPN. Might be worth it to tune it.

Who is that?

Reactions: skysdad
Zion Williamson scored 22 points (4-of-4) from 3 and added seven rebounds in his NBA debut as the Pelicans lost to San Antonio 121-117. Brandon Ingram also scored 22 and JJ Redick added 10 points in the loss.

Cam Reddish scored 20 points (4-of-6) from 3 and six rebounds in a 140-111 loss to OKC.

Last edited:
JJ Redick led New Orleans with 18 points (5-of-7) from 3 in a 113-106 loss to Denver. Zion Williamson added 15 points and Brandon Ingram 13 in the loss.

Last edited:
Zion has now played 39 minutes in the NBA, which is just a hair over a normal single game's worth of minutes for an NBA starter (Lebron, for example, averages about 35 min per game). In those 39 minutes Zion has:

37 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, and 1 steal, while shooting 75% from the field.

Kyrie Irving led Brooklyn with 45 points, seven assists and six rebounds in a 121-111 win over Detroit.

What's so sick about this is he did this with just one turnover. By way of comparison, I freaking love Tyus Jones, but when he racks up six or seven assists with zero or one turnover, it's super impressive but his number of opportunities to turn the ball over is much more limited. He's not driving the lane a dozen plus times, through traffic, and getting a shot off. Kyrie had 30 shots and 10 foul shots. He had so many opportunities to turn the ball over. I've got to think 45 points and just one turnover is very, very rare.

Just checked - the record for most points without a turnover in an NBA game: Carmelo got 62 without a turnover in Jan of 2014. He had 13 rebounds as well. Zero assists, steals, or blocks. That's an insane stat line.

Last edited:
What's so sick about this is he did this with just one turnover. By way of comparison, I freaking love Tyus Jones, but when he racks up six or seven assists with zero or one turnover, it's super impressive but his number of opportunities to turn the ball over is much more limited. He's not driving the lane a dozen plus times, through traffic, and getting a shot off. Kyrie had 30 shots and 10 foul shots. He had so many opportunities to turn the ball over. I've got to think 45 points and just one turnover is very, very rare.

Just checked - the record for most points without a turnover in an NBA game: Carmelo got 62 without a turnover in Jan of 2014. He had 13 rebounds as well. Zero assists, steals, or blocks. That's an insane stat line.

The Kyrie haters are going to stick their fingers in their ears! Thanks man!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT