ADVERTISEMENT

DUKE IN THE NBA

If that is true why was Carey a one and done? I get going after the money but why did everyone seem to think he had to go pro? Why did Cassius Stanley have to go pro? I know he was older but the guy's a trivia question now.
I can help you with that...

"Vernon Carey Jr. signed a 3 year / $6,581,283 contract with the Charlotte Hornets, including $4,650,602 guaranteed"

I'd have left school too if I could get a guaranteed $4.6m over three years.

Also, he wasn't going to noticeably improve his foot speed or athleticism in a second year at Duke, resulting in better NBA success. Depending on the skills they need to work on sometimes it makes sense to stay in school longer, sometimes it doesn't. Trevor Keels was not going to get any taller. Matthew Hurt was not going to get any more athletic. But Tre Jones believed (and was correct) that he was going to improve his shooting and his leadership in a second year at Duke, so he stayed another year.

Cassius made about $750k for his two years in the NBA. And he was in the dunk contest so I bet he got some decent sponsorship money. Still, I really wish that kid had stuck around. I feel like if he put in the work and caught the right breaks he might have ended up like a Tim Hardaway Jr. kind of 3rd/4th option on a decent NBA team. Tim Hardaway Jr. didn't set the world on fire in college and stayed three years and now has carved out a really nice spot for himself in the NBA.

I can help you with that...

"Vernon Carey Jr. signed a 3 year / $6,581,283 contract with the Charlotte Hornets, including $4,650,602 guaranteed"

I'd have left school too if I could get a guaranteed $4.6m over three years.

Also, he wasn't going to noticeably improve his foot speed or athleticism in a second year at Duke, resulting in better NBA success. Depending on the skills they need to work on sometimes it makes sense to stay in school longer, sometimes it doesn't. Trevor Keels was not going to get any taller. Matthew Hurt was not going to get any more athletic. But Tre Jones believed (and was correct) that he was going to improve his shooting and his leadership in a second year at Duke, so he stayed another year.

Cassius made about $750k for his two years in the NBA. And he was in the dunk contest so I bet he got some decent sponsorship money. Still, I really wish that kid had stuck around. I feel like if he put in the work and caught the right breaks he might have ended up like a Tim Hardaway Jr. kind of 3rd/4th option on a decent NBA team. Tim Hardaway Jr. didn't set the world on fire in college and stayed three years and now has carved out a really nice spot for himself in the NBA.
Yeah, but Cassius turned 20 before his freshmen season began at Duke so I understood why he left early cause unfortunately time was ticking.

I don't know when that picture was taken of Quin Snyder but that's a bad hair day for sure.

Wendell Carter, Jr. scored 14 points, including the game winner, in a 108-106 win over Detroit. Paolo Banchero added 11 points, six rebounds and six assists in the win.

Gary Trent, Jr. scored 18 points in a 115-110 win over New Orleans. Brandon Ingram led all-scorers with 36 points and seven rebounds in the loss.

Last edited:
Gary Trent, Jr. scored 19 points in a 95-91 win over Detroit. Marvin Bagley, III led the Pistons with 21 points and 18 rebounds in the loss.

Last edited:
Paolo Banchero scored 19 points and added six rebounds in a 121-108 loss to Indiana.

Last edited:
RJ Barrett scored 25 points and added seven assists in a 128-106 win over New Orleans. Brandon Ingram led the Pelicans with 19 points in the loss.

Last edited:
Kyrie Irving scored 21 points and added 11 rebounds in a 111-108 loss to the LA Lakers.

If you'd told me that two young duke guys would each have 18+ rebounds in the same night, I'd have guessed that for sure Wendell Carter would have been one of them. Congrats to Bagley and Mark Williams!

Mark Williams scored 15 points and added 11 rebounds in a 117-106 win over Detroit. Marvin Bagley, III had 21 points and 12 rebounds in the loss.

Reactions: skysdad
RJ Barrett scored 10 points and added seven rebounds in a 109-94 win over Boston. Jayson Tatum had 14 points, nine assists and seven rebounds in the loss.

Reactions: skysdad
Paolo Banchero led Orlando with 29 points and eight rebounds in a 101-93 win over New Orleans. Brandon Ingram scored 25 points in the loss.

Paolo Banchero led Orlando with 29 points and eight rebounds in a 101-93 win over New Orleans. Brandon Ingram scored 25 points in the loss.

Am I dumb for asking the question... why didn't we see this Paolo at Duke?

I mean, his numbers are a little better in the NBA than they were at Duke and obviously the competition in the NBA is way higher than at Duke. If he was having this kind of season three years from now after three years of playing NBA basketball I wouldn't be asking this question. But he is not that far removed from his time at Duke, but he is now setting the world on fire. He was great at Duke. But he has been PHENOMENAL in the NBA. So... what gives? I mean, he's playing in line with Jason Tatum's third year in the NBA, not his rookie season. And Tatum was/is a STUD whose college numbers were pretty similar to Paolo's.

I am not one of the people on this board who ever thought I knew anything better than coach K did about basketball - I'm not delusional - but was there something K did or didn't do that held Paolo back a little in his time at Duke? If so, I didn't see it at the time.

Am I dumb for asking the question... why didn't we see this Paolo at Duke?

I mean, his numbers are a little better in the NBA than they were at Duke and obviously the competition in the NBA is way higher than at Duke. If he was having this kind of season three years from now after three years of playing NBA basketball I wouldn't be asking this question. But he is not that far removed from his time at Duke, but he is now setting the world on fire. He was great at Duke. But he has been PHENOMENAL in the NBA. So... what gives? I mean, he's playing in line with Jason Tatum's third year in the NBA, not his rookie season. And Tatum was/is a STUD whose college numbers were pretty similar to Paolo's.

I am not one of the people on this board who ever thought I knew anything better than coach K did about basketball - I'm not delusional - but was there something K did or didn't do that held Paolo back a little in his time at Duke? If so, I didn't see it at the time.
Spacing in the NBA and you get 6 fouls.

QUOTE="Quavarius, post: 11503701, member: 1506"]
[/QUOTE

Not that it means a lot but there's eight more minutes in the NBA which gives players more PT. A lot more offense in the NBA and a faster pace. OFC

QUOTE="Quavarius, post: 11503701, member: 1506"]
[/QUOTE

Not that it means a lot but there's eight more minutes in the NBA which gives players more PT. A lot more offense in the NBA and a faster pace. OFC
Paolo averaged 33 min at Duke and averages 33 min in the NBA. So it's not that in this particular case. But the faster pace makes sense. As does the more spacing that Q mentioned. Wish we could have given him that spacing at Duke - he's a monster.

Paolo is focusing 24/7 on basketball and not worrying about those pesky classes and classwork. I assume that is the major reason guys like Keels leave and turn pro.

Gary Trent, Jr. scored 19 points and added five rebounds in a 104-98 win over Chicago.

Reactions: timo0402
Kyrie Irving scored 16 points and added nine assists in a 124-122 loss to Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT