ADVERTISEMENT

Current 2020 NBA Mock Draft predictions for our players...

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
I looked at the top 8 NBA Mock Draft boards and here are where our players are predicted to go.. keep in mind that a couple of these don’t predict the 2nd round picks.. none of these predictions are more than a month old..

Vernon: 10, 13, 15, 17, 21, 21, 23, 27
Tre: 21, 23, 23, 24, 25, 26, 50
Hurt: 16, 27, 29, 34
Cassius: 30, 34, 34, 42

Vernon looks to be a sure bet 1st round pick and likely in the late part of the lottery.. 100% gone.

Tre will likely go around the same spot Tyus did.. I don’t see him breaking the top 20 regardless of how good he plays the remainder of the season.. would love to see him come back next year, but I see him as a 75% chance of entering the draft.

Hurt is a wild card.. if he stays, he could push himself into being a lottery pick next year.. 55% chance he enters the draft after this season.

I can see Cassius’ stock going up as the season continues and going up even more when he goes to the combine and has individual workouts with teams.. I would not be surprised if he ends up getting picked in the early 20’s.. I think there is a 99% chance he enters the draft.

Moore isn’t listed on any draft boards.. I could see him getting on some before the end of the year if he plays good, mostly because he has an NBA body and versatility.. 25% chance he enters the draft right now.

I'll stick to what I've been saying for weeks now. All the freshman gone except Moore, and I'd be cool with that, think it's a win for Duke.
Moore does show on nbadraft.net as a lottery pick for the 2021 draft. I think the expectation for him is to come back and make a leap into the next lottery.

Vernon and Tre are gone, forget about it.
Cassius is probably gone, and not too sure he can play himself up any higher.
I still think Hurt is gone, I do think he would be making a mistake, think he has the potential to leap into the top 20 for next years draft. His issue is his body, not his game, an extra year in college could fix that.

I'll stick to what I've been saying for weeks now. All the freshman gone except Moore, and I'd be cool with that, think it's a win for Duke.
Moore does show on nbadraft.net as a lottery pick for the 2021 draft. I think the expectation for him is to come back and make a leap into the next lottery.

Vernon and Tre are gone, forget about it.
Cassius is probably gone, and not too sure he can play himself up any higher.
I still think Hurt is gone, I do think he would be making a mistake, think he has the potential to leap into the top 20 for next years draft. His issue is his body, not his game, an extra year in college could fix that.

I agree on Hurt. I think he has the most to gain (besides Moore) by coming back another year. Tre, Vern, & Cash don’t really have a chance to get drafted any hire than they will this year - but Hurt (and Moore) can move way up the draft board with another year.

I don’t want Hurt to be another Kyle Singler or Ryan Kelly in the NBA. I’d like to see him stick around and have a long NBA career (i.e. Dunleavy Jr.).

On a side note.. if Moore does comes back,. I think it’s almost certain AOC becomes a grad transfer and leaves Duke to go dominate in a smaller conference for a year.. I think a So. Moore will obviously be more productive for us than a Sr. AOC, but I hate to see any of our guys transfer.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Hurt would be worse off then Kyle and Kelly. Both were seniors that ended up on the wrong teams but both are still making good money over seas.

Hurt needs muscle and to be more confident when playing inside.

I see, Carey, Tre, Stanley and Hurt leaving the only fifty fifty one is Moore.

Hurt would be worse off then Kyle and Kelly. Both were seniors that ended up on the wrong teams but both are still making good money over seas.

Hurt needs muscle and to be more confident when playing inside.

I see, Carey, Tre, Stanley and Hurt leaving the only fifty fifty one is Moore.

I tend to agree with this. What Hurt does will not change. He’ll be the same player as a senior as he is a freshman. The only thing with him that changed would be consistency and strength, two attributes that typically don’t translate to a higher pick.

He’s a 6’10, maybe 6’11 floor spacer who can block shots. He’s very similar to Josh Collins from Gonzaga. Unless coming back equates to him becoming an all-world ball handler, he’ll be in the 15-20’s no matter what.

He’s 20 years old, so the same reasoning people apply to Cassius applies to him. If he’s projecting sub-lottery, I don’t see why he’d stay.

I think Moore and Hurt both return as they can both really improve draft stock with hard work and another year under K. Hurt needs to get stronger and develop more of a killer instinct, imo. Moore needs to let the game slow down and work on his perimeter game.

Stanley is gonzo and I think he will be drafted higher than expected. He has tools you simply can’t teach or learn. He has already had some jaw dropping plays and I expect more before he’s done. Such a great talent.

Hurt is also projected 16 to 25 so he’s not coming back imo. His stock is gonna be the same .

Reactions: dukehokie
I think the only one possibly coming back is Moore.

I think Moore will come back. Unlike Hurt or Stanley or Carey, he actually has things he can work on to make himself more marketable for the league. He needs to shoot more consistently, his basket attack needs refinement and his handle, while decent, can be tightened up. He’s going to fall in the Justise Winslow category of point forward, so he’ll have to fortify those skills.

I think Moore will return for one more.

He’s a 6’10, maybe 6’11 floor spacer who can block shots. He’s very similar to Josh Collins from Gonzaga.

Zach Collins? I don't see many similarities between Hurt and Collins. Collins was one of the best interior defenders in all of college basketball. He's way, way more athletic than Hurt. But, he doesn't have quite the shooting touch as Hurt. Maybe you're just comparing their situations, suggesting that there's no benefit in returning for a sophomore year?

I’m surprised to see Hurt that high. I don’t think his offense is strong enough to make up for the fact that he might not be able to guard anyone in the NBA.

Reactions: DukeJim99
I think Moore will come back. Unlike Hurt or Stanley or Carey, he actually has things he can work on to make himself more marketable for the league. He needs to shoot more consistently, his basket attack needs refinement and his handle, while decent, can be tightened up. He’s going to fall in the Justise Winslow category of point forward, so he’ll have to fortify those skills.

I hope Moore comes back. I'm not sure I think he will, but you're right....he does have those attractive things about him that could make him a better prospect a year from now. I don't think Hurt, Carey or Stanley do. Another year at Duke would mean they're probably better players, but they can do that professionally, too.

Maybe you're just comparing their situations, suggesting that there's no benefit in returning for a sophomore year?

That's the way I took it to mean. The benefit of returning is to become a better player, and not necessarily a better prospect. A lot of people fail to differentiate the two.

Zach Collins? I don't see many similarities between Hurt and Collins. Collins was one of the best interior defenders in all of college basketball. He's way, way more athletic than Hurt. But, he doesn't have quite the shooting touch as Hurt. Maybe you're just comparing their situations, suggesting that there's no benefit in returning for a sophomore year?

That and the things they do. I’m not saying is the same level of defender, but Hurt is an adept shot blocker and floor spacer. He and Collins would play similar roles for a team. Again, the level may not be equal, but unless you’re being drafted to be a centerpiece, you’re being drafted to fit a role. Matt would be drafted to fit a role, much like Collins was. In that regard, I don’t see much sense in Hurt returning, just like Collins.

Also I always call him Josh for some reason haha. Not sure why that happens.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I hope Moore comes back. I'm not sure I think he will, but you're right....he does have those attractive things about him that could make him a better prospect a year from now. I don't think Hurt, Carey or Stanley do. Another year at Duke would mean they're probably better players, but they can do that professionally, too.

That's the way I took it to mean. The benefit of returning is to become a better player, and not necessarily a better prospect. A lot of people fail to differentiate the two.

Yeah I was not completely clear in my intent. I personally think there are just a few reasons a guy returns. First, it’s meant make that player a more attractive option for the NBA, if that is their intended route. That player would be returning to enhance themselves as a prospect.

Second, a guy could return because they genuinely love college. That does still happen from time to time.

Third, as @dukiejay mentioned, they return to become a better player, not prospect. I think guys like Jordan, Alex, and Joey would fit into this category. Becoming a better player ultimately makes you a more attractive option professionally, but if there’s no real skill set there to begin with, you have to build it.

I think I agree with pretty much everything said above. Moore has the most potential to be a top prospect in today's NBA. He just is the most raw of any of our freshman. He has everything you want: can handle the ball a bit, can hit a stand still three-pointer, can switch and guard multiple positions (maybe the most important nowadays) and seems to be a great teammate. He already has an NBA body too.

I think this is why most project him to come back and leap into possibly the lottery next season. His game just has a lot more growing up to do.

I’m surprised to see Hurt that high. I don’t think his offense is strong enough to make up for the fact that he might not be able to guard anyone in the NBA.
I agree. But the NBA game has changed so much. If you’re 6’9” and can hit 3’s and at a high profile D1 school, you’re getting drafted - and probably pretty high..

10 years ago he would be looked at as a really slow unathletic SF or a way too weak PF.. but now he’s looked at as a perfect stretch 4 prospect and even somebody that can get some minutes at the 5 in the NBA.

Ryan Kelly would have probably been a late first round pick by the end of his 2nd year at Duke if he was playing today.

Last edited:
I agree. But the NBA game has changed so much. If you’re 6’9” and can hit 3’s and at a high profile D1 school, you’re getting drafted - and probably pretty high..

10 years ago he would be looked at as a really slow unathletic SF or a way too weak PF.. but now he’s looked at as a perfect stretch 4 prospect and even somebody that can get some minutes at the 5 in the NBA.

Ryan Kelly would have probably been a late first round pick by the end of his 2nd year at Duke if he was playing today.

I think Hurt could improve his stock immensely if he came back and showed he can play D and rebound.

I think Hurt could improve his stock immensely if he came back and showed he can play D and rebound.
I agree. I don’t think Tre, Vernon, or Cassius can improve their stocks any more than they are right now. Hurt (and Moore) can definitely potentially be a late lottery pick if he shows improvements in those areas next year. That’s why I think it’s about a 50/50 that Hurt comes back.

In some mock drafts like cbs’s Hurt is ranked being drafted ahead of Carey.

I think Moore is 50-50 to return at best. The other four mentioned are 90% or more gone.

And if anyone thinks otherwise they are crazy. Tre Jones is the exception not the rule.

Recruits come to Duke to go to the NBA. Embrace it, we get to cheer for the best high school talent in the world for a year. Each year may be different and we may have guys that are ready and guys that are not ready. But don’t forget the first statement. Kids come to duke to go to the NBA.

Recruits come to Duke to go to the NBA. Embrace it, we get to cheer for the best high school talent in the world for a year. Each year may be different and we may have guys that are ready and guys that are not ready. But don’t forget the first statement. Kids come to duke to go to the NBA.

Sure but if the NBA isn’t even looking at you, you have nowhere to go. Wendell more than likely won’t get drafted this season. Maybe he takes the Duval route but I doubt it. That, like Tre, is also an outlier.

I believe Hurt and Moore 100% come back. Moore has not chance IMO, a d not bashing him at all, but he has no shot at making a league roster. Hurt isn't physically ready or ready for the speed that the nba plays at. He will be on a G league roster for multiple years... so that is why I think he stays 2 improved on those aspects.

Sure but if the NBA isn’t even looking at you, you have nowhere to go. Wendell more than likely won’t get drafted this season. Maybe he takes the Duval route but I doubt it. That, like Tre, is also an outlier.

Agree. I always look at it as any guy that comes back is found money. I’ve yet to be shocked about any single person leaving. Just the game today.

Agree. I always look at it as any guy that comes back is found money. I’ve yet to be shocked about any single person leaving. Just the game today.

You’re not wrong there. Javin put his name in. There you go.

Reactions: chov1125
Right now a lot of guys should consider staying...ugh

The NBA is killing college basketball.

Hurt ready for the NBA? Get out of here.

The NBA is killing college basketball.

Hurt ready for the NBA? Get out of here.
I agree with you. There is not one kid on Duke’s roster who is NBA ready except maybe Carey and that’s a long shot. This is not a slap in the face or bashing anyone on Duke’s team but how can NBA people watch Hurt play and say I think that guy is going to help us? I know they draft on potential but his lack of speed and strength are glaring.

I agree with you. There is not one kid on Duke’s roster who is NBA ready except maybe Carey and that’s a long shot. This is not a slap in the face or bashing anyone on Duke’s team but how can NBA people watch Hurt play and say I think that guy is going to help us? I know they draft on potential but his lack of speed and strength are glaring.
Exactly. Potential. His potential is tremendous. Same for Trevon Duval, Frank Jackson, Gary Trent, and so on.

IMO, he’d be making the same mistake as those guys.

I’ve said it many times, and I’ll say it again...

No matter if a guy plays for Duke or someone else - if he comes out early when it’s clearly a mistake, and it doesn’t work out, I don’t feel sorry for him. Not one iota. Stay in school and develop your potential.

Exactly. Potential. His potential is tremendous. Same for Trevon Duval, Frank Jackson, Gary Trent, and so on.

IMO, he’d be making the same mistake as those guys.

I’ve said it many times, and I’ll say it again...

No matter if a guy plays for Duke or someone else - if he comes out early when it’s clearly a mistake, and it doesn’t work out, I don’t feel sorry for him. Not one iota. Stay in school and develop your potential.

Have you watched Gary Trent lately?

Hurt better learn to jump off the floor when he shoots also. Those flat footed shots will be swatted since no one will be afraid of him driving around him.

Right now Hurt leaving for the pros is about my last concern as a Duke fan.

Hurt better learn to jump off the floor when he shoots also. Those flat footed shots will be swatted since no one will be afraid of him driving around him.

Right now Hurt leaving for the pros is about my last concern as a Duke fan.
Any of them leaving for the pros is my last concern. All I’m worried about is THIS team, THIS season. I’m gonna enjoy the ride for now.

Reactions: Liftee and Mac9192
I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to project who is staying/going in the offseason, and I am probably as invested in this current team as anyone. I love this team. We got a good recruiting class coming in, not an elite one, so having guys coming back could be the difference between being title contenders or being a sub-par Duke team.

What I think we can all agree on...and I say this as an NBA fanatic, is that if Hurt continues down this spiral, and he still leaves, college basketball is at a crisis and needs to do something to fix this. I always thought the whole "leave if your a 1st rounder, come back if not" was a good way for players to look at things. But after losing guys like Duval, Trent, and Bolden early (how much would Bolden help this team BTW????), losing Hurt will just suck. I want things to change, it's tough as a fan of college basketball.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to project who is staying/going in the offseason, and I am probably as invested in this current team as anyone. I love this team. We got a good recruiting class coming in, not an elite one, so having guys coming back could be the difference between being title contenders or being a sub-par Duke team.

What I think we can all agree on...and I say this as an NBA fanatic, is that if Hurt continues down this spiral, and he still leaves, college basketball is at a crisis and needs to do something to fix this. I always thought the whole "leave if your a 1st rounder, come back if not" was a good way for players to look at things. But after losing guys like Duval, Trent, and Bolden early (how much would Bolden help this team BTW????), losing Hurt will just suck. I want things to change, it's tough as a fan of college basketball.

What do you suggest college basketball do? Keep in mind that the NBA and the NBA Player's Association control entry standards as part of their collective bargaining agreement. Any attempt by the NCAA to mandate a second or third year would be laughed out of court.

Elite basketball-playing kids by and large grow up dreaming of playing in the League more than they dream of playing college ball. College ball is a means to an end, the NBA being the end.

The maturation of the G-league furthers that goal. Sure, Matthew Hurt may not be "ready" to play in the NBA but he can spend a season in the G-league and work on his flaws there and get paid for it.

NBA teams have staffs devoted full time to working on player development.

None of this means he won't come back. None of us really knows how much he prioritizes college life or obtaining a Duke degree. But the implication that he can only get better by coming back to Duke simply isn't true.

This is a college-basketball board and we look at it through college-centric lenses. But the NBA will do what the NBA thinks best maximizes its long-term goals and if that means diminishing the quality of college hoops, well, they're fine with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT