ADVERTISEMENT

Current 2020 NBA Mock Draft predictions for our players...

What do you suggest college basketball do? Keep in mind that the NBA and the NBA Player's Association control entry standards as part of their collective bargaining agreement. Any attempt by the NCAA to mandate a second or third year would be laughed out of court.

Elite basketball-playing kids by and large grow up dreaming of playing in the League more than they dream of playing college ball. College ball is a means to an end, the NBA being the end.

The maturation of the G-league furthers that goal. Sure, Matthew Hurt may not be "ready" to play in the NBA but he can spend a season in the G-league and work on his flaws there and get paid for it.

NBA teams have staffs devoted full time to working on player development.

None of this means he won't come back. None of us really knows how much he prioritizes college life or obtaining a Duke degree. But the implication that he can only get better by coming back to Duke simply isn't true.

This is a college-basketball board and we look at it through college-centric lenses. But the NBA will do what the NBA thinks best maximizes its long-term goals and if that means diminishing the quality of college hoops, well, they're fine with that.
I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I'm aware college basketball is put in this terrible situation based on the NBA's rule, and the NBA isn't in the business of caring about college basketball. I don't have the answers, I was mainly just saying as a fan of both entities, it really sucks seeing college basketball pushed to the curb and the product is getting worse literally every single year.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I'm aware college basketball is put in this terrible situation based on the NBA's rule, and the NBA isn't in the business of caring about college basketball. I don't have the answers, I was mainly just saying as a fan of both entities, it really sucks seeing college basketball pushed to the curb and the product is getting worse literally every single year.

IFor those of you not old enough to remember or don't recall, it all goes back to a player named Spencer Haywood. The NBA prohibited players from playing in the NBA until their college class had graduated. Wilt Chamberlain left Kansas after his junior year and played a season for the Globetrotters before he was allowed to play in then NBA.

Haywood was a truly great power forward and didn't much care for college. So, he sued for the right to go to the NBA before his class had graduated.

Haywood won.

Here's a brief summary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywood_v._National_Basketball_Association

Subsequent legal rulings have confirmed that only a CBA between management (the NBA) and labor (the NBA Player's Association) can constrain a player's ability to pursue his job opportunities.

Reactions: jwill133
Man like most of you all I think about the one and done system alot. I fully expect this team to lose Jones, Vern, Stanley and even Hurt(despite him being in free fall). Retaining any of them and Moore will be nothing more than just delightful.

Look the NBA has created a really good developmental system. Players can get paid, really well, to work on their game and are given time to grow. There is no reason an NBA prospect to stay in school and play ball for free.

I love Duke, but if you dangled a six figure salary in front of me, give me the incentive to earn millions if I improved the weak points of my game. Provide me with the resources to reach that goal. I'm gone.

More and more players are realizing this and are leaving college early not just for the NBA but for the chance to be in the G Leaque and prove themselves. The fact that this is down year in college basketball is no coincidence. The NBA has invested in developing players and players are betting on themselves.

I dont see any way the NCAA can combat this.

IFor those of you not old enough to remember or don't recall, it all goes back to a player named Spencer Haywood. The NBA prohibited players from playing in the NBA until their college class had graduated. Wilt Chamberlain left Kansas after his junior year and played a season for the Globetrotters before he was allowed to play in then NBA.

Haywood was a truly great power forward and didn't much care for college. So, he sued for the right to go to the NBA before his class had graduated.

Haywood won.

Here's a brief summary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywood_v._National_Basketball_Association

Subsequent legal rulings have confirmed that only a CBA between management (the NBA) and labor (the NBA Player's Association) can constrain a player's ability to pursue his job opportunities.
2 changes the NCAA can make are allow undrafted kids to retain their eligibility and allow kids to make money off their likeness.

Who are the quality current NBA players who did the undrafted-G League-NBA route? I'm sure there are some, I don't follow NBA near as much as college hoops.

Who are the quality current NBA players who did the undrafted-G League-NBA route? I'm sure there are some, I don't follow NBA near as much as college hoops.
There aren’t any stars who’ve gone that route, but there are a lot of guys contributing who’ve gotten there through the G League.

Kendrick Nunn, Heat point-guard, was a possible rookie of the year candidate until Ja Morant took over. Nunn was an undrafted guy who developed in the G-League and he will now make hundreds of millions of dollars in his career.

Look no further than Gary Trent JR for a reason as to why the G-League route can work and be most beneficial. He got drafted in the 2nd-round (guaranteed 2nd round contract) played in the G-League all last year, and is now playing A LOT for the Blazers and looks like a key member of their future.
Many on here (myself included) hammered Trent for his decision. We were wrong. He made 6 figures last year, and became a MUCH better player, probably improved more than he would under 1 year at Duke, and he's now closer to a much bigger pay-day.
It sucks but that's reality.

Kendrick Nunn, Heat point-guard, was a possible rookie of the year candidate until Ja Morant took over was an undrafted guy who developed in the G-League and he will now make hundreds of millions of dollars in his career.

Look no further than Gary Trent JR for a reason as to why the G-League route can work and be most beneficial. He got drafted in the 2nd-round (guaranteed 2nd round contract) played in the G-League all last year, and is now playing A LOT for the Blazers and looks like a key member of their future.
Many on here (myself included) hammered Trent for his decision. We were wrong. He made 6 figures last year, and became a MUCH better player, probably improved more than he would under 1 year at Duke, and he's now closer to a much bigger pay-day.
It sucks but that's reality.
I think the only reason to come back instead of going G League is if you have a chance to significantly improve your draft position. Trent wasn’t going to go in the lottery if he came back, so I think he made the right decision. I think Stanley is pretty much in the same boat this year. I think Moore could improve his position for sure. Hurt I’m not sure because I don’t buy that a team is going to take a chance on a good shooter who can’t do anything else at the next level. If he’s really a first round pick he should definitely go. I think he’s more likely to go undrafted than first round though. If he came back and showed the ability to defend (preferably more than one position) and rebound, he could be a lottery pick.

Reactions: jwill133
2 changes the NCAA can make are allow undrafted kids to retain their eligibility and allow kids to make money off their likeness.

The second is on the way. The devil is in the details.

The first is more problematical because it potentially puts coaches in a situation where they sign enough guys in April to fill up their roster and then don't have the scholarships for potential returnees in June.

And I think this under-estimates the passion these guys have to play for pay. I strongly suspect most undrafted players will prefer the G-League or overseas route over coming back.

It would be way cool if the NBA would allow players to go pro after high school but also require them to stay in college for two years should they elect to go to college.

This would really help the college game. But what incentive do the NBA and the Union have to go along with this? Not sure I see one.

Look, I grew up in an era when Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Jerry Lucas, Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, David Thompson and so many others stayed in college through their senior seasons. In other words, the talent-level equivalents of Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, et. al. played college ball as seniors.

So, the slide has been going on a long time and I don't see anything that can stem that decline.

I've said it before. I'm all for if they choose to do so go straight into the NBA draft just like baseball and if they choose to go to college they have to stay 3 years. Of course the g-league will be full the 1st few years but eventually more will choose the college option and there's always the over seas option. What it will do for college basketball fans is the chance to watch their favorite team be stable and not worry about who"s leaving after one year. Of course we will not see the super 5 star players but if you love college basketball you grow to appreciate it. The top programs and coaches will still be getting the best players out there sndvthe coaches will have the opportunity to develope talent as far treaching defense and other fundemental basketball. College basketball will still have its stars and we will love it. OFC

Chris Middleton is the first NBA Alstar that started his career in the G Leaque. He joined the leaque as the NBA started its revamp on its approach to developing players. Many more players have showed promise and I expect to see more stories like Middleton due to high quality talent choosing the D leaque over staying in school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT