ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper Flagg reclassifies to the Class of 2024

Can you really use Zion to this point ? He’s stayed injured . Yes, his talent is unbelievable but he has yet to put together a full NBA season . While at Duke he had shoe gate and Zion could have went any where and still been the number one pick .
Shey, good to see you buddy! Not really sure I totally follow your point here but I’ll do my best. I’m using Zion as an example of someone who had already amassed a large following before his decision on what school he went to. People need to remember that he was the 4th rated recruit in that class, so it was certainly no home run that he would be the top pick in the draft- all of that talk was actually that RJ would be that guy. Zion was just a dunker was the knock on him, not to mention his competition. If he goes to Clemson, in no way do I think he’s the brand he is now. No way he gets the spotlight there that he got at the biggest brand in the sport and arguably one of the biggest in all of sports. So I think the point of bringing that up with respect to Flagg is pretty accurate. Flagg will be a star no matter what he does, his brand will be exponentially more valuable at Duke.

Agree 100% Timo!

Certainly some of the other big programs get national coverage, but when a highly rated prospect comes to Duke, the exposure is magnified 10 times over. Between the love for Duke and the hate of Duke a player will be seen nationwide while playing for Duke. That can be great if the player has a breakout season like Zion, it also cuts the other way if the player underperforms.

I don't follow high school basketball or rankings other than what I see on this board. IMHO, like most CBB fans, I don't know much of anything about Flagg other than watching a highlight reel or two. I do think if he comes to Duke and lives up to expectations, the whole country will know exactly who he is pretty quickly! And that will be a very good thing for him!

I don’t think Zion would have been as big of a deal had he gone to Clemson or South Carolina over Duke. He was the face of college basketball, National POY even with missing games.

Would he have been the #1 pick no matter where he went? Yes
Would he have gotten a 5 year 75 million dollar shoe deal before he got drafted? I don’t believe so.

No one is using Zion as an example as far an NBA career goes. We are stating that Zion maximized his earnings potential by being the face of college basketball for 1 season by being at Duke.
Yes he would have gotten the shoe deal even had he not came to Duke . He could have went the euro route and he still would have been the number one overall pic. He had like over 2 million insta gram followers before coming to Duke ( that number could be way wrong I’m not sure ) .

Zion like Barrett and Reddish chose what was to them the best situation to go for it all for their one year of college . Zion is a generational talent . It wouldn’t have mattered where he went .

Reactions: jamsession2
Yes he would have gotten the shoe deal even had he not came to Duke . He could have went the euro route and he still would have been the number one overall pic. He had like over 2 million insta gram followers before coming to Duke ( that number could be way wrong I’m not sure ) .

Zion like Barrett and Reddish chose what was to them the best situation to go for it all for their one year of college . Zion is a generational talent . It wouldn’t have mattered where he went .
Playing with RJ, Tre, Bolden and the rest of the team made life better. I agree he's a great talent, but if he was the only option it would've looked different.

Reactions: sheyduke
He would get exposure at Kansas as well. I live out west and Kansas is on TV here as much as Duke. When I lived in NY it seemed like every Duke game was on TV, but in places like here and Colorado it's mostly just the big games if you have basic cable. But I think he will pick us. They say he is an elite defender.

Last edited:
Shey, good to see you buddy! Not really sure I totally follow your point here but I’ll do my best. I’m using Zion as an example of someone who had already amassed a large following before his decision on what school he went to. People need to remember that he was the 4th rated recruit in that class, so it was certainly no home run that he would be the top pick in the draft- all of that talk was actually that RJ would be that guy. Zion was just a dunker was the knock on him, not to mention his competition. If he goes to Clemson, in no way do I think he’s the brand he is now. No way he gets the spotlight there that he got at the biggest brand in the sport and arguably one of the biggest in all of sports. So I think the point of bringing that up with respect to Flagg is pretty accurate. Flagg will be a star no matter what he does, his brand will be exponentially more valuable at Duke.
I can agree to an extent . I think his Instagram Dunks gave him the label as only a ,” Dunker!” . He was able to denounce that while at Duke and being able to play with other stars . But I see the point being made .

Proctor/Roach 100% gone.
Gotta think Harper is possibly waiting on McCain/Foster and what they do. Harper is a tremendous talent and a combo guard so if just 1 of the freshman leave, he’s a shoe-in to be a starter.

A lot of rumblings that McCain is much better than advertised and could be a OAD this season, can’t wait to see how it plays out. Duke will be in a great spot regardless.

Proctor/Roach 100% gone.
Gotta think Harper is possibly waiting on McCain/Foster and what they do. Harper is a tremendous talent and a combo guard so if just 1 of the freshman leave, he’s a shoe-in to be a starter.

A lot of rumblings that McCain is much better than advertised and could be a OAD this season, can’t wait to see how it plays out. Duke will be in a great spot regardless.
Roach was 100% gone last year, too.

Roach was 100% gone last year, too.
True but Roach was never close to a lottery pick, Proctor is one.
We now have evidence that NIL can keep kids in school rather than going overseas/g league. We have zero evidence that NIL will keep lottery picks in school.
Proctor is 100% gone barring something insane happening.

Reactions: hart2chesson
McCain and Foster wouldn’t surprise me one bit if one test snd the other leaves . Given how many articles there are out about Duke playing small and fast , it’s not far fetched

We now have evidence that NIL can keep kids in school rather than going overseas/g league. We have zero evidence that NIL will keep lottery picks in school.
It depends on that NIL deal, and that kid. All kids and families are different.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Wonder if he’s trying to figure out who will/won’t be here next year

McCain and Foster wouldn’t surprise me one bit if one test snd the other leaves . Given how many articles there are out about Duke playing small and fast , it’s not far fetched
Think McCain will get the minutes to have a real decision about being OAD, but he’s also one of the highest paid players in college off of NIL. If Foster goes, he would likely be going with minimal college tape and just banking on measurables and individual workouts getting him into the 2nd round. Not sure if he gets an invite to the NBA
Combine.

Even if it’s just Roach, Proctor, and McCain, that’s a lot of minutes for a guy like Harper. If you’re looking at a position that could still be pretty stacked, we will have Power, Stewart, and Evans (coming in). Ideally, Flagg plays SF, Power plays PF, and Stewart plays PF/C. Could have Foster, Harper, Flagg, Powers, and Stewart with Harris, Schutt, Reeves, and Evans off the bench at a minimum.

So you’re no longer saying Roach is 100% gone?

Think McCain will get the minutes to have a real decision about being OAD, but he’s also one of the highest paid players in college off of NIL. If Foster goes, he would likely be going with minimal college tape and just banking on measurables and individual workouts getting him into the 2nd round. Not sure if he gets an invite to the NBA
Combine.

Even if it’s just Roach, Proctor, and McCain, that’s a lot of minutes for a guy like Harper. If you’re looking at a position that could still be pretty stacked, we will have Power, Stewart, and Evans (coming in). Ideally, Flagg plays SF, Power plays PF, and Stewart plays PF/C. Could have Foster, Harper, Flagg, Powers, and Stewart with Harris, Schutt, Reeves, and Evans off the bench at a minimum.
Why run Flagg at SF ? Isn’t he best suited for a stretch four ? Powers more of the SF mold?

McCain is already showing up in the lottery to mid first round so him having a strong season will only strengthen his draft status and I think you see Foster at least test simply to see what scouts want him to work on ? I mean is he a pg? Combo guard ? Or simply just a scoring guard ? Still a lot of questions but you never know with kids .

Why run Flagg at SF ? Isn’t he best suited for a stretch four ? Powers more of the SF mold?

McCain is already showing up in the lottery to mid first round so him having a strong season will only strengthen his draft status and I think you see Foster at least test simply to see what scouts want him to work on ? I mean is he a pg? Combo guard ? Or simply just a scoring guard ? Still a lot of questions but you never know with kids .
We will find more about Powers as the season goes on. Powers and Flagg will gain weight and height. Let's see how they play with both.

Reactions: sheyduke

in the recent podcast McCain gushes about just how much he loves it here

Reactions: hart2chesson
We had 147 posts about Bidunga before he committed to Kansas, so we're only about halfway there.
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT