ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper Flagg reclassifies to the Class of 2024

Let's see him say #committed next to Duke before we say its over. Think we've learned this. However, he certainly looks like a major Duke lean. Lock him up and you get the best prospect in the last 5 years.

Reactions: christophero
Who would be a comp for Cooper? An upperclassman Dunleavy was my impression. Is he a SF or a PF? Looks like a SF to me. I've seen 6-8 to 6-10 for his height. Will adjusting to the physicality be an issue or is he a good to go Banchero type?

Who would be a comp for Cooper? An upperclassman Dunleavy was my impression. Is he a SF or a PF? Looks like a SF to me. I've seen 6-8 to 6-10 for his height. Will adjusting to the physicality be an issue or is he a good to go Banchero type?
He would start right now. He’s that good. He’s got a lot of Dunleavy, Paolo, Hill to his game. Very versatile and isn’t afraid to mix it up. He’s also a top flight competitor. He will be very hated.

He would start right now. He’s that good. He’s got a lot of Dunleavy, Paolo, Hill to his game. Very versatile and isn’t afraid to mix it up. He’s also a top flight competitor. He will be very hated.
He reminds me of Tatum better shooter more athletic

Yes he will be hated by other fans. He sounds like he's 8 years old, but maybe I'm just getting old. Good thing he can play. He does look pretty skinny, but I heard he likes to mix it up inside. Maybe Ingram is a good comp. (that is not an insult; Ingram was the #2 pick and just averaged 19ppg.) My only concern with the reclass is he does look like he needs to get stronger, but everyone seems to be saying he is a Banchero level talent. He's filled out a bit the last year, but he's still slim.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Yes he will be hated by other fans. He sounds like he's 8 years old, but maybe I'm just getting old. Good thing he can play. He does look pretty skinny, but I heard he likes to mix it up inside. Maybe Ingram is a good comp. (that is not an insult; Ingram was the #2 pick and just averaged 19ppg.) My only concern with the reclass is he does look like he needs to get stronger, but everyone seems to be saying he is a Banchero level talent. He's filled out a bit the last year, but he's still slim.
Def not Ingram skinny....

The old school comp that I would use is Laettner. He’s a little shorter but Cooper can score from anywhere; super competitive; excellent rebounder for his size. The one attribute that Cooper can only prove in college is if he’s clutch like Christian. He will only have one season to show out.

From what I've seen of Cooper is fundamental sound. Nice looking shot and will mix it up inside. Looks like he will have no issue with self confidence. We need him and I think he will be wearing Duke Uni.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The old school comp that I would use is Laettner. He’s a little shorter but Cooper can score from anywhere; super competitive; excellent rebounder for his size. The one attribute that Cooper can only prove in college is if he’s clutch like Christian. He will only have one season to show out.
He does seem to have that Laettner edge to him. But his playing style and physique reminds me of Grant Hill.

Laettner was taller and I think a little heavier as a freshman but he had the luxury of playing behind Ferry. You could see the greatness coming but he didn't blossom until the next year.
This is so important. The opportunity for many players to play relax with little to no pressure regardless of their talent is in my opinion essential. Flagg needs to have a solid center and pf to play along side him.

Last edited:
This is so important. The opportunity for many players to play relax with little to no pressure regardless of their talent is in my opinion essential. Flagg needs to have a solid center and of to play along side him.
Lively definitely provided many head scratching moments last year, but I do feel like he was part of the reason Flip was so successful. Flip was able to gamble for steals knowing Lively was back there in the paint, Flip was able to float on the perimeter on offense and shoot 3s with lively in the game.

We will see how this year plays out.

Lively definitely provided many head scratching moments last year, but I do feel like he was part of the reason Flip was so successful. Flip was able to gamble for steals knowing Lively was back there in the paint, Flip was able to float on the perimeter on offense and shoot 3s with lively in the game.

We will see how this year plays out.
This is why Reeves and Young need to support Flip this season.

Let's see him say #committed next to Duke before we say its over. Think we've learned this. However, he certainly looks like a major Duke lean. Lock him up and you get the best prospect in the last 5 years.
I get a little nervous when we recruit kids who have gone their entire lives being expected to choose Duke. Sometimes, they just want to prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: jamsession2
Flagg's 3 fall visits are UConn, Kansas and us. Based on what I have read we appear to be the favorite but not an overwhelming favorite. We will see how it plays out. The longer it drags out the more I wonder.

Well the Duke sites say overwhelming lol. If he is a Duke lock why has he scheduled visits to Kansas and U Conn? I still think we get him, but I would not bet my next paycheck on it.

Last edited:
Agree,two weeks ago Flory was a “lock”
Not the same situation here. While myself included thought he was a lock, things happened in the 11th hour. Naturally, you can say, well it could happen here too. It won’t. We wanted him to reclass. He did. This isn’t about going to the highest bidder (Like Flory), it’s about the best fit for him and his brand- Duke. Doesn’t hurt that he grew up a huge Duke fan. Let him take his visits and get pampered. The end result isn’t changing. He knows the best place for him is at Duke. And he is correct.

I am pretty sure the NBA will be aware of Flagg no matter where he goes.
For sure. However, Flagg could be good enough to get a multi million dollar Nike shoe deal as soon as he’s drafted.
And going to Duke and having a great season with solid team success could lead to millions more on that shoe deal than if he were to go somewhere else and have a meh type of season, just ask Zion.

Can you really use Zion to this point ? He’s stayed injured . Yes, his talent is unbelievable but he has yet to put together a full NBA season . While at Duke he had shoe gate and Zion could have went any where and still been the number one pick .

Can you really use Zion to this point ? He’s stayed injured . Yes, his talent is unbelievable but he has yet to put together a full NBA season . While at Duke he had shoe gate and Zion could have went any where and still been the number one pick .
I don’t think Zion would have been as big of a deal had he gone to Clemson or South Carolina over Duke. He was the face of college basketball, National POY even with missing games.

Would he have been the #1 pick no matter where he went? Yes
Would he have gotten a 5 year 75 million dollar shoe deal before he got drafted? I don’t believe so.

No one is using Zion as an example as far an NBA career goes. We are stating that Zion maximized his earnings potential by being the face of college basketball for 1 season by being at Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT