ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K and Coach Cut #1 Tandem in ACC

Mark Gastineau

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 26, 2009
It's an amazing time for Duke athletics. Toss in Coach Danowski from the men's lax team, and we have 3 of the best coaches in their individual sports, with Coach K and Coach Danowski arguably the best in their respective sports.

GO DUKE!!

Top Tandems in ACC

I love Cut, I really do. But I don't think he is the best coach in the ACC. He's done so much for the program, no doubt. Took us from a bottom dweller to a contender, but I can't say he's the best coach in the ACC until he brings home a bowl win. Each year there are just too many mental breakdowns in key situations that I'm sure will get better, but right now they just sting too much (Huge lead over A&M and ASU loss). Perhaps these mental breakdowns can be put on Boone, but Cut is known for his QB development...

Sorry, I know this is a buzz kill. I love what Cut has done for the program. I just don't agree that he is the best coach in the ACC, yet.

Originally posted by vcugreg:
I love Cut, I really do. But I don't think he is the best coach in the ACC.
That's not the point in the article. The point is that we have the strongest tandem of coaches in the ACC.

And I will respectfully disagree with your point about Coach Cut not being the best coach in the ACC. His on field success has only increased as he's had more time to shape a program that was in absolute shambles when he inherited the job. The future is bright, and I wouldn't want anyone else leading our boys. I don't see another ACC coach with the knowledge, passion and integrity of Coach Cut. You can call me a homer, but he is the kind of leader I want representing Duke.

No, I see your points. I agree with everything that you said about him being the only person you'd want for the job. We can agree to disagree, no arguments here friend. In the context of duo, absolutely. I apologize for the side rant.

I hope Cut stays with us and continues to grow the program. It is very exciting. Hell, I'm still glad we even made the bowl games even though we lost them. Just call me heartbroken that some critical mistakes cost us two bowl games, admittedly not solely Cut's mistakes. I do, however, wish Boone progressed more from his Junior season to his Senior season. But again, a coach can only coach.

Originally posted by vcugreg:
Just call me heartbroken that some critical mistakes cost us two bowl games, admittedly not solely Cut's mistakes. I do, however, wish Boone progressed more from his Junior season to his Senior season. But again, a coach can only coach.
Valid feelings. I get where you're coming from. I'm hoping that we see some big things out of Sirk this season and in the future.

I will say this. The past few seasons has very much felt like my generations reliving of Coach K building the Duke program. Very exciting!!! I'm not old enough to have seen the impact Dawkins had on Duke's program, but I can only imagine the similarities between the two.

Side note: Have you seen the plans for the new suites at the stadium? Looking good!

I agree we're riding high right now. Coach K is a given, but Cut has brought respectability back to a football program that was in a shambles. I'm not a big lacrosse fan, but I know enough to know how good Danowski and the Duke program are. Just a great time to be a Blue Devil fan, but then again...it's always a great time to be a Dukie.

OFC

We are so fortunate to have the coaches we have at duke. OFC

Originally posted by skysdad:
We are so fortunate to have the coaches we have at duke. OFC
Not to mention a proactive and respected AD in Kevin White. Man, I am SO glad we don't have Joe Alleva around anymore, even though he did pick Coach Cut.

I think Cut is the best coach in the ACC he's done amazing with really less talent then ANY ACC school. As we keep improving we keep getting better recruits I think eventually we will make some real noise! As for Kevin White I emailed him earlier this year and he was prompt in emailing me back and was very kind with a response. Now it could of been a staffer but still very gracious AD's office

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT