ADVERTISEMENT

Clint's Confidence Meter - Updated Dec. 19

BrianMc

Publisher
Staff
Apr 4, 2005
DevilsIllustrated.com, in an attempt to keep it's subscribers updated on the overall confidence level for Duke recruits, presents our updated confidence meter.

Disclaimer - I don't claim to know it all and I certainly admit that my pulse on some kids is stronger than others. I also want to say that I get my intel from many sides of the equation as well as other trusted sources (other school insiders, writers, recruiting analysts, college coaches etc). I really try to do my homework and be as fair and balanced as possible.

Here are my updated rankings with some comments on each one.

Class of 2015

channel_stockup.gif
Ingram has pushed his decision to spring so that he can see which players, at each of his schools, heads on to the NBA after the season. It's hard to get a good, vetted read on the 6-9 wing forward because not much is known about his intentions, outside of his immediate family. This one is kept close to the vest and college coaches continue to recruit him as if he isn't leaning any way. Coach K recently went and watched him, showing Duke's commitment to recruit him. Kentucky, Kansas, NC State and North Carolina remain involved.

channel_stockup.gif
His guardian has advised him to wait until spring to see which schools offer the best chance to step right in and play. The Duke staff has open dialogue with the 6-9, 265-pounder and since Jahlil Okafor is easily projecting as a sure-fire one and done, an opportunity to play would be present. Intel is hard to come by with Swanigan, but we have a great source in the area that keeps us in the loop. Michigan State, California, Duke, Kentucky and New Mexico get the most mentions from our best source. We will continue to have an ear to the ground on this one.

Class of 2016

channel_stockeven.gif
The 6-10 prep star has officially put his recruitment on the back burner now as his season has gotten underway. We think you will see him occasionally take some visits during the season when he can fit them into his busy schedule. What we are hearing from well-placed sources is that he likes the freedom of the Duke offense and believes that he can thrive in a system where he can make plays from all over the court. Most still believe that the four schools with the best shot include (in no particular order) Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Kentucky. Danny Manning is a little bit stronger for Giles than most want to give him credit for.

channel_stockdown.gif
Duke remains active with the Fayetteville playmaker and his recruitment is a high-stakes affair. College coaches love him as a scorer who can simply make plays with his quickness and creativity. UNC, NC State, Duke, VCU, Florida, Wake Forest and Kansas are coming after the potent athlete from Trinity Christian and we're keeping an eye on UK as a sleeper here if they step it up and offer. Smith wants to have the ball in his hands, so that will be the ticket to his commitment.

channel_stockdown.gif
Intel here hasn't changed much over the past few months, in that Kansas, Missouri and Duke, as well as Kentucky, could be the top four schools for the 6-8 wing with guard skills. The St. Louis junior will lean heavily on his mother, Brandy Cole, for her input and his father, Justin Tatum, an accomplished coach, will also provide business-like guidance. The plan is to be one and done and Tatum makes it no secret that he is only looking to play college basketball for one season. One of our best sources in Missouri thinks Kansas is the team to beat, at this point.

channel_stockdown.gif
The Battle family has never made it a secret that Duke is a dream school for them. Gary, the father, talks with such esteem that you almost feel that there's no way that Duke could miss on the versatile 6-6 wing from New Jersey. The thing is, there are other schools in the picture here and the feedback from them, on their end, has been positive as well. Watch out for Kentucky here, and Michigan is in the game as well. Duke, Michigan and Kentucky are projecting to be the three main contenders here and the Wildcats could be surging. We are lowering the meter just a bit due to some feedback that we received from an independent objective source.

channel_stockup.gif
Duke has surged here and done it in a big way. It's our belief, at this point, that the 6-1 point guard from Las Vegas now has Duke as his leader. Whether you'd get him to admit it on the record or not, that's another thing. The pure point guard has Kentucky, Michigan, Louisville and Miami all jousting to stay in the game and they have a strong chance to making Thornton's next cut, which will reduce his options from 10 to 5. Look for Thornton to visit Duke for the UNC game in February.

channel_stockdown.gif
Even though he has been on a visit or two to Duke, we just aren't hearing a tremendous amount of buzz over Duke with Maker. The long, versatile 7-footer has a special skill set and his inside-outside capability would probably be a good fit for the spread-the-floor, spaced Duke offense. But I'm just not seeing it in the cards for Duke and Maker at this time.

channel_stockeven.gif
Although there hasn't been a well-documented Duke presence in the Florida center's recruitment over the past year, there has been some interest here. Enough to warrant a blurb on the Confidence Meter. The big man from Jacksonville works hard on the glass and has a tremendous amount of size and strength. He also plays in the paint and works the glass.

channel_stockeven.gif
Duke has stayed in contact with the 6-10 Tampa Bay area junior and he fits the mold for guys that they normally recruit. His length, athleticism and comfort facing the basket as well as cleaning up around the rim is appealing as a pick and pop power forward. He's also a rim protector that can block shots and erase attempts along the baseline. There are other programs involved, so we will keep the meter very neutral on Durham.

channel_stockdown.gif
We've recently spoken with the best source in the Indianapolis area and it sounds like the interest between Duke and Gordon has waned a bit. We have adjusted the meter due to the belief that Gordon will stay in his area and play college basketball within his region.

channel_stockup.gif
The 6-10 four man had some nice moments when we went up to see him last week. He's getting a little stronger and a little tougher. He's now 207-pounds as opposed to 195, which was his weight at the beginning of the season. He's mobile, long and has skills around the basket. A very patient, finesse player who can face-up and shoot the ball. He's an ACC target and that's where he will play his college basketball, according to most people in his circle. He's visited Duke a few times and his family lives in the area.

Five Names to watch in 2017

Troy Brown: Dynamic 6-6 multi-positional player from Las Vegas. Already has a Duke offer.

Michael Porter, Jr.: Sensationally skilled 6-8 wing forward with the ability to play inside and outside. Accomplished shooter from all over.

Zach Brown: Miami big man who Duke likes. They like him a lot. Duke has its eye on this kid already.

Wendell Carter: Tough, rugged interior post who goes hard. Rebounds, stays inside. Work ethic.

Brian Bowen: A terrific 6-7 forward with guard skills. Attacks the basket, has a great handle and passes with flair. Duke has good dialogue.

This post was edited on 12/19 8:41 AM by BrianMc

This post was edited on 12/19 8:41 AM by BrianMc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News