ADVERTISEMENT

Candid look at Bagley, Devils following Texas thriller...

Half of the time I think Bagley's first shot is merely just to get the ball up on the rim because he knows he's going to be able to get up there and grab it before anyone else.

I think the problems are fixable. Duval will learn to play within himself and not try to be Kyrie. Grayson and Trent (and eventually O'Connell) will start hitting shots. Javin will find his comfort spots on offense. The talent is there. Also I suspect the coaching.

Yeah, the only flaw Bags has shown (other than ft shooting) is that tendency to want to take that 3 at the top of the key. I know he can make it (sometimes), but there are so many more better options for him as gifted as he is. But, it's hard to dwell on that when he's such an incredible player at almost everything else. He'll learn when to take it, and not take it.

OFC

Excellent article. Of course I am grateful for the win but in our two biggest games we have needed superhuman efforts by our stars to bail us out. But we are young and improving, so I believe we will work it out. I am spoiled for sure. :)

Reactions: hart2chesson
I forget which announcer pointed this out, but the quickness of Bagley's jumps off rebounds is ridiculous. Watching the cinematic recaps on GoDuke at court level, you can see how quickly he explodes off the floor for dunks. It puts a lot of pressure on defenses to quickly react, and combined with his motor, IMO is one of his most incredible traits. He absolutely explodes off the floor.

If he learns our rotations and improves his anticipation, I think he could be a better shot blocker than he is now, due to the quickness of his jump

Good article, hart. Imagine how good this team will be when they don’t need to rely on talent. By February this team will be absolutely outstanding and they’ll always have the talent to fall back on. But great title teams learn to play beautiful team basketball, and this team will be there rest assured.

We always talk about K being our great equalizer. So let that man do what he’s done for 30+ years and watch what this team becomes. It’ll be outstanding.

I forget which announcer pointed this out, but the quickness of Bagley's jumps off rebounds is ridiculous. Watching the cinematic recaps on GoDuke at court level, you can see how quickly he explodes off the floor for dunks. It puts a lot of pressure on defenses to quickly react, and combined with his motor, IMO is one of his most incredible traits. He absolutely explodes off the floor.

If he learns our rotations and improves his anticipation, I think he could be a better shot blocker than he is now, due to the quickness of his jump

Probably Bills....he is all about wing span and second jump ability.

Side story...I used to work a bball camp and one of the guys there claimed to be a former NBA scout. I guess he was. One night we were talking NBA draft and he was arguing one player should be taken first over the consensus #1 that year, his reasoning was that the lower ranked guy had incredible second jump ability. First time I'd ever heard about that attribute. The guys we we're discussing we're Dwight Howard and Emeka Okafor. Just shows NBA scouts and second jump ability don't always equal success.

Our guys make freshman mistakes on defense but one thing that is obvious to me is that too many kids (likely country wide) are afraid to be put on a “poster”

Our guys are actually trying to make themselves out of position instead of challenging a driver. Trent, Bagley and Carter did this so many times against Texas.

I realize there are times to give free baskets but there are also times when a huge block can change the momentum.

Reactions: Jnood
Good article, hart. Imagine how good this team will be when they don’t need to rely on talent. By February this team will be absolutely outstanding and they’ll always have the talent to fall back on. But great title teams learn to play beautiful team basketball, and this team will be there rest assured.

We always talk about K being our great equalizer. So let that man do what he’s done for 30+ years and watch what this team becomes. It’ll be outstanding.

Agreed hokie. Thanks buddy, my pleasure to post here for all of our fans! OFC

Our guys make freshman mistakes on defense but one thing that is obvious to me is that too many kids (likely country wide) are afraid to be put on a “poster”

Our guys are actually trying to make themselves out of position instead of challenging a driver. Trent, Bagley and Carter did this so many times against Texas.

I realize there are times to give free baskets but there are also times when a huge block can change the momentum.

This drives me absolutely crazy! People just give up layups these days. I was taught to never give up an easy bucket. We would make people earn it, and really get our money's worth. I know it's probably somewhere in between the two, because fouls are valuable too, but the running through, with no intention of contesting is so weak!

What you guys are talking about...knowing when to challenge and when to back off, that is about as advanced as it gets. That feel for the game is acquired through experience and thats it.

I would be interested to hear what K thinks about it. Does he believe in not fouling or no easy buckets? In other words are they acting under orders or not? Could be something we don't know. Could just be soft defense.

It's not like we are a bad team right now. This team has been shaky defensively and our senior Allen has been off since Michigan State.
There is so much talent, no other team can match Duke's talent. Bagley and Carter need some help.
If Grayson starts shooting it better and we close off all those easy lanes, teams have no chance. I mean we are 7-0 and haven't played well. No other Duke team I've seen can score in the 80's and only hit 3-4 3's in a game.

It's not like we are a bad team right now. This team has been shaky defensively and our senior Allen has been off since Michigan State.
There is so much talent, no other team can match Duke's talent. Bagley and Carter need some help.
If Grayson starts shooting it better and we close off all those easy lanes, teams have no chance. I mean we are 7-0 and haven't played well. No other Duke team I've seen can score in the 80's and only hit 3-4 3's in a game.

That’s exactly what I mean. We haven’t played well and we’ve beaten some quality teams including a prohibitive favorite to reach the Final Four, and that was without Bagley.

The ceiling is roof with this team.

That’s exactly what I mean. We haven’t played well and we’ve beaten some quality teams including a prohibitive favorite to reach the Final Four, and that was without Bagley.

The ceiling is roof with this team.

Agreed we can be so much better. I know I give Jay Bilas a hard time, but hes RIGHT, "this team will get better." Speaking of Bilas, listening to Walton this week has made me actually APPRECIATE Jay more!!

Sorry didnt mean to go off topic, but Walton's ramblings away from the game can be disconcerting!!

OFC

Reactions: christophero
Well that’s usually how it goes. In big games stars step up and take over as they should.
Yeah I see your point. I guess it's a glass half empty/full kind of thing, and yesterday I was wondering if it was sustainable. But I feel good about our chances today! I think we see a much more aggressive Grayson.

Yeah I see your point. I guess it's a glass half empty/full kind of thing, and yesterday I was wondering if it was sustainable. But I feel good about our chances today! I think we see a much more aggressive Grayson.

Agreed Christop, I think GA steps up tonite!

OFC

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT