ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Ingram

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
its kinda looking to me like K may be planning to have Brandon out front on defense, like maybe a 1-3-1 . I love it and hate it. I love it as it will be absolute HELL for guards to shoot over that towering monster but it really scares me how mobile he'll have to be. Seems like a ton of hard work on his knees. Those legs scare me and he's a huge part of who we are this season. I just want to keep him healthy.

Agree with both posts so far. I understand the concern fully because he's got tiny legs and most likely hasn't lifted/worked this hard on them in his life. That said, watching him play that role with his length was great in our scrimagges. Let's use him in that role as long as we're mindful of his health :)

its kinda looking to me like K may be planning to have Brandon out front on defense, like maybe a 1-3-1 . I love it and hate it. I love it as it will be absolute HELL for guards to shoot over that towering monster but it really scares me how mobile he'll have to be. Seems like a ton of hard work on his knees. Those legs scare me and he's a huge part of who we are this season. I just want to keep him healthy.

Did you say zone show? I could get used to that when the situation calls for it. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
It was fun to watch him for stretches up there in the exhibition games. I am anxious to see how effective he is against D1 comp, and especially high D1 comp. I think it will be utilized as a change of pace tactic against higher-level teams, maybe for a stretch of several possessions here and there to get opposing teams out of rhythm. I like that K is doing what K does, and looking at his personnel and thinking about various ways to maximize them.

Has Brandon had a history of injuries? Those legs are not that very big around, but then again they don't have to carry too much weight around. Hopefully his body is up to the task.

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Has Brandon had a history of injuries? Those legs are not that very big around, but then again they don't have to carry too much weight around. Hopefully his body is up to the task.

OFC
That was my thinking he don't weigh enough to hurt tweety birds legs! Lol

Personally, I will be worrying about Ingram all season long (injury). He is just so frail, and even though he's not carrying much weight around, it is the physical contact that scares me.
He will be a big key to how successful Duke is this year, and how well he avoids as much physical contact as possible, will determine how long he lasts. I hope he can stay healthy because he is going to be fun to watch!
As for him playing out front on the 1-3-1, I like it, because his wing span will make it very difficult on the opposing guards.
What makes this year so great, is that we will be seeing so many different combinations on the floor (at least early on), and it will take "K" and staff a little longer to find the right combination, and like I will continue to say, this team will be "very dangerous" come March/April.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

I feel like having him run side to side with guards will keep him out of harms way. Sure he's running more, but he won't have to rebound in the box with the likes of Luke Maye and Kennedy Meeks. That's a lot of beef to be pushing against at 190 lbs.

Reactions: Showenuff
Leaked photos of Ingram practicing for Kennedy Meeks matchup:
fat-vs-thin.jpg

I was also wondering if K does more full court pressure and or trapping. There is a lot of length and athleticism on this year's squad. Brandon, Matt, Luke or Grayson, Amile, and Marshal make for a very long, mobile defensive squad. And, with his quickness, it is not like Thornton is a defensive slouch. A pressing, trapping style could really provide some instant offense through turnovers until the overall offensive game comes around.

I was also wondering if K does more full court pressure and or trapping. There is a lot of length and athleticism on this year's squad. Brandon, Matt, Luke or Grayson, Amile, and Marshal make for a very long, mobile defensive squad. And, with his quickness, it is not like Thornton is a defensive slouch. A pressing, trapping style could really provide some instant offense through turnovers until the overall offensive game comes around.

It has been brought to my attention from a THR guru that UNC is well equipped to bring back and run the 4 corners offense this. All 30 seconds of it. Got some news. Different time and Phil Ford ain't around anymore. Coach K's defense will cause problems. The 4 corners was set for when there was no shot clock and a guy like Ford could just dribble around which did work and was very effective. The last time I remember the 4 corners being ran was when Bill Foster was our coach and Phil Ford was no where in sight. The Tar Heels ran it the first half and were down 7-0. Duke went on to win 37-30. Bring the 4 corners on. OFC

Ingram looked a lot more comfortable against Bryant and will only keep getting better and better throughout the season. He is kind of like Jabari in the respect that he will always be able to get off a shot for Duke when needed. This is what Evan Daniels tweeted recently about him:

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels
Love his upside. Have had NBA guys tell me he is best freshman they've seen. Can really score at 6-9. Very long

Ingram can really score one on one and in transition. He's clogging passing lanes too, allowing Grayson and Matt to poach.

He's not great in a crowd yet, and is showing potential as a point guard. Time will tell if his vision is good enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT