ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Ingram bulking up

He was 169 when he arrived on campus. He was so slight then and he still knew how to use his length and speed to his advantage. One again, Coach Will has done marvelous work as Brandon is at 190. It's not your typical 190 either. He is much more explosive, as you all saw in his vert test pictures and videos, and he still knows how to use his frame to his advantage.

At season's end give Coach Will and Jon Scheyer their proper due when Brandon is lighting the ACC up. They've done masterful work with him.

OAD also had the pic of Marshall, another Coach Will masterpiece. Same with Sean Obi. He was super pudgy coming to Duke and he'll be the first to tell you that. Coach Will now has him drop step dunking, consistently. That's huge for that kid's development.

One of the key questions with Ingram will be can he keep the weight on over the course of the season? That's not always easy for young players to do while going through the grind of a basketball season, where you're not lifting as frequently and running a lot. I remember Kyle, for instance, bulked up a lot before his freshman year, only to then lose much of that weight by when we got into the tournament season.

Reactions: mbdfan
What will help a lot for Ingram is if he can develop a dominating stare down and an intimidating hulk down. I remember P.J. Hairston's versions of both and they scared the beegeeves out of me and I was watching from television. Just think what it did the opposing players. If Ingram can perfect those two things weight won't matter.:D OFC

One of the key questions with Ingram will be can he keep the weight on over the course of the season? That's not always easy for young players to do while going through the grind of a basketball season, where you're not lifting as frequently and running a lot. I remember Kyle, for instance, bulked up a lot before his freshman year, only to then lose much of that weight by when we got into the tournament season.
Hear what you're saying, could be some truth to that. Unfortunately for Kyle he had to spend some of that year at the 5, something BI will not ever do. Additionally, the plan is to continue BI on this program to continue to gain weight as the year goes on. Different program.

It seems that some folks are frightened to say he's skinny. HES SKINNY. If a skinny guy drops 25 on you does it still count? I think it does. This kid is gonna go off vs UNC. Bring the skinny jokes, I'm game.

Reactions: Dominator4321
Neither Ryan or Amile played all that much as freshman and Durrant is a basketball freak of nature. While being strong isn't everything, it makes a huge difference in being able to finish through contact and not being worn down by the physicality of ACC play.
True, but B.I. has the advantage of being a 3/2 rather than a 4 like Ryan & Amile were.. So he won't have to be AS big/strong as they needed to be to play the 4.. With that being said.. K does like the small lineups, so B.I. will play some minutes at the 4.

I'm curious how much the added weight/muscle has or will effect his shot.. Especially since it's a lot of weight/muscle in a short time.

Reactions: Dominator4321
He was 169 when he arrived on campus. He was so slight then and he still knew how to use his length and speed to his advantage. One again, Coach Will has done marvelous work as Brandon is at 190. It's not your typical 190 either. He is much more explosive, as you all saw in his vert test pictures and videos, and he still knows how to use his frame to his advantage.

At season's end give Coach Will and Jon Scheyer their proper due when Brandon is lighting the ACC up. They've done masterful work with him.

OAD also had the pic of Marshall, another Coach Will masterpiece. Same with Sean Obi. He was super pudgy coming to Duke and he'll be the first to tell you that. Coach Will now has him drop step dunking, consistently. That's huge for that kid's development.
I was banned at THR so I clearly can't comprehend this post

All Ive seen in this thread was @OldasdirtDevil saying Ingram is the next Kareem.... Ima hold you too that :p hahahaha

Pisgah, now you know I didn't say that, but now that you mention it...if he adds a skyhook into his repertoire then we might talk about it!:D

And speaking of 'Skyhook' I'm going to share a little secret about that. I might get into a little trouble spilling the beans, but I'll just have to take my chances. Now this is the true story, not any of that made up malarkey you find in Sports Illustrated. Yeah...you know what I'm talkin' about. Anyway, back in the early days....okay...alright...I'm just going to have to stop it right now. It's obvious I'm in over my head, and about to get in trouble. You know where this was going and who it was going to be about, and if I let the cat outta the bag...I'm going to get my tail chewed out real good, I mean real good. Sky don't cotton to anyone runnin' his mouth off without first checkin' with him.

I can only tell you what you already know by now...that Sky is the man behind the famous 'Skyhook' of Alcindor/Jabbar. Why it was named that, and how Sky was the reason behind it...well...Sky is going to have to tell you the story himself. And it's quite a remarkable one at that. It involved Duke also...yeah...definitely Duke was involved...no one ever knew about that. I told you it was quite a story! Well, I've said enough...way too much. It's up to Sky to set the story straight once and for all...if he decides to accept this mission.

OFC

Pisgah, now you know I didn't say that, but now that you mention it...if he adds a skyhook into his repertoire then we might talk about it!:D

And speaking of 'Skyhook' I'm going to share a little secret about that. I might get into a little trouble spilling the beans, but I'll just have to take my chances. Now this is the true story, not any of that made up malarkey you find in Sports Illustrated. Yeah...you know what I'm talkin' about. Anyway, back in the early days....okay...alright...I'm just going to have to stop it right now. It's obvious I'm in over my head, and about to get in trouble. You know where this was going and who it was going to be about, and if I let the cat outta the bag...I'm going to get my tail chewed out real good, I mean real good. Sky don't cotton to anyone runnin' his mouth off without first checkin' with him.

I can only tell you what you already know by now...that Sky is the man behind the famous 'Skyhook' of Alcindor/Jabbar. Why it was named that, and how Sky was the reason behind it...well...Sky is going to have to tell you the story himself. And it's quite a remarkable one at that. It involved Duke also...yeah...definitely Duke was involved...no one ever knew about that. I told you it was quite a story! Well, I've said enough...way too much. It's up to Sky to set the story straight once and for all...if he decides to accept this mission.

OFC
hahahahaha! I'll be waiting to hear from sky all day now!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Was going to say the same thing! The link above has his MCDAA pick and he has no tats. Maybe that's the extra 3 lbs of the 23! ;)

K said he gained 23 lbs and is in the 190's. So that's proof enough. Still, at 6'9, 190, you're going to be really skinny. Doesn't matter, though. What matters is whether he can play.

I remember Durant was super skinny and couldn't bench press a flea going in to the NBA (which raised some eyebrows and led to Oden going number 1 - huge mistake).
at the time no one knew that Oden body would breakdown. I have often wondered if healthy Oden would have been the better player

I'm happy unless he talks trash to an opponent while down 20+ points, like John Henson did his freshman year against Duke....

Reactions: pisgah101

OFC

Well here goes. Back in the early days of basketball some player developed the hook shot. It was developed by Dean Smith who as we know innovated the game in many ways. Back then the standard shot was the set shot.The set shot was taken by both feet on the floor and shooting the ball much like a free throw is today with the exception that the arms of the shooter weren't extended as high as the free throw shooter. Coach Smith saw this was a problem and came up with a hook shot which the shooter simply took the ball with one arm and hand and extended both high behind his head and neck and using his body created a space between the defender and his hook shot. The shot evolved over the years as players began to take jump shots so did the hook shot by the way of jumping when the shot was released. Then came Alcindor/Jabbbar. He was so tall and his best percentage shot was the dunk which he made approximately 100% per cent of the time. Then they outlawed the dunk and Alcindor/Jabbar started working on a hook shot. He was up so high that it looked like it was coming from the sky. I was watching a UCLA basketball game when he first done it with friends. I yelled"that was a sky hook". Everyone went crazy. Word must have gotten out because after that sportswriters, announcers and everyone started using the term "sky hook." The real credit should go to Coach Dean Smith who we all know changed the game with all his innovations and the sky hook would not have been if not for him. Players would be limited to sky jump, sky lay us, sky tip ins and sky dunks. I did hear that Alcindor/Jabbar had his sky hook blocked once in practice by Chuck Norris who was at a Laker practice. He blocked it with his left foot. No one else has ever attempted to do what Chuck did that day. As far as Duke being involved in it didn't come from Duke University it came via John " Duke" Wayne. He was a USC fan and hated the term "sky hook" because Alcindor/Jabbar just flat out wore his Trojans out with it. Somehow he found out that I came up with the term and wrote me a letter saying this. "Life's tough. It's even tougher when you are stupid. " That has become one of his most famous quotes and I inspired that. That really hurt me because I was always a big fan of his. Personally I feel he should have went after Coach Dean Smith for inventing the hook shot anyway. Now as far as my nickname skysdad is concerned I decided to honor my terming the sky hook by naming my one and only son Skyler and that's the rest of the story. ;) OFC

"

Last edited:
:D:D:D Even I didn't know all those details, Sky!!! I'm just glad that after all these many years that the truth has finally seen the light of day. Our young guys need to know the real history of the game. I'm also glad that you acknowledged Dean Smith's innovations, Sky...it's hard telling what other incredible feats he accomplished that we don't know about.

So now everybody knows that when you hear the term 'Skyhook'...our own DI legend is the originator. Thank you, Sky, for your contribution to basketball lore.

OFC

back on topic- it's rather remarkable that he has been able to put on "so much" weight in just a short period of time. Just goes to show you A. how skinny he actually was and B. what a correct and effective workout/weight gaining plan can do. We've got a tremendous staff and that includes our workout team.
That's what I was thinking also. In the all-star games he was so skinny it was kind of shocking. I struggle to think of many people I knew that skinny. When I heard he gained so much weight, I was interested to see the result because 1. Skinny people can gain absurd amounts of muscular tone quickly through working out. and 2. Because I was curious how much of that was muscular tone and just heft in general. If he put on 23 lbs of solely muscle (which I think we can all agree is a bit unlikely itself), that would be an insane looking physique. Look forward to seeing him on the court, especially since I feel we probably were second in his choice for college.

Great news. Needs that bulk to handle the so called #1 Heels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT