ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden trending for Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiots on the UK board talking about how much better Cal develops big men than K. Most of those like Cousins, Anthony Davis, etc., we're gonna be top picks regardless. They try and act as if they became what they were because of that grease ball Cal. What a joke. One clown saying Cal just one upped K by showing him how it's done because Cal didn't force Lee to transfer but encouraged him to leave by trying to fulfill his dream of being a pro. Lollll. Cal got him out to make room for Bolden. Quite obvious.
Cal didn't develop those Big men. They were just good from the get go! Yes lee was FORCED out!! A freaking monkey could have developed Davis and Cousins. Skal and Lee are prime examples of big men that needed DEVELOPING AND COACHING. We saw what happened there. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: KellenPatrick
I hate that I check multiple times a day for a recruit. Must. Stop. This. Habit. There's a kid like this every year that I seem to check way too often - Brandon Ingram, Myles Turner, Andrew Wiggins, Tony Parker.

Between the 3 Plumlees, Zoubek, and Ryan Kelly, I think K & company have done plenty to develop raw talent. Marshall's improvement may be the most impressive of the bunch.

Reactions: pisgah101
But they are last minute pitches. Hopefully Bolden has come to the conclusion 100% Duke and doesn't buy into any of his last minute desperate attempts.

If that were the case, you would have to assume he would have already pulled the trigger. It is going to be UK. But Duke will be fine.

If that were the case, you would have to assume he would have already pulled the trigger. It is going to be UK. But Duke will be fine.
Not concerned one bit about our team next year without Bolden. He would have been a nice get, but in the end u can't get them all.

Reactions: KellenPatrick
Idiots on the UK board talking about how much better Cal develops big men than K. Most of those like Cousins, Anthony Davis, etc., we're gonna be top picks regardless. They try and act as if they became what they were because of that grease ball Cal. What a joke. One clown saying Cal just one upped K by showing him how it's done because Cal didn't force Lee to transfer but encouraged him to leave by trying to fulfill his dream of being a pro. Lollll.............................. Cal got him out to make room for Bolden. ................................................Quite obvious.

You may be right, but I'll wait for the verification from his family before I believe. It's been said that Lee has earned his degree or will this summer.....He just might think it's time to move on.He has left the window open to return to UK.
IMO, Bolden would be better off to choose to stay home

Just looking at TCU's roster, I noticed that they return their top 7 scorers from this season. If they were to get Bolden, they would be halfway decent. At least an NIT team, and maybe even a chance to squeak into the NCAA Tourney.

I know I am in the minority but I really don't want this guy. From what I have gathered, if he comes to Duke, he will have been talked into it. If a prospect has to be talked into playing for Duke, I would rather him not come at all. In addition to that, he just strikes me more as a UK guy than a Duke guy. Lastly, I think him coming could mess up chemistry next year. As much as we would like to think that K will one day go 10 deep, it ain't gonna happen. He doesn't like to do it. Amile has potential to be one of the best big men in the country next year. Hopefully Jeter's hands will grow and he can contribute more next year off the bench. I will take my chances with Amile, Giles, Jeter, and Javin in the post next year.

I'm with you somewhat on this. If he comes fine, if he don't fine. I've said for a while now that I feel he really wants to go to UK. Coach K is not going to play 10 guys and give all of them significant pt. The math doesn't work out. It's usually 8 and rarely 9 guys getting the time on the court. I do wish Thornton would have stayed. I think we could have used him a lot in Duke's system. Tough question here but if we had our choice which player would help Duke need more next year Thornton or Bolden? OFC

Why does the 247 Crystal Ball predictions still have Duke at a 68% favorite for Bolden? Should be the other way around in UK's favor by the sounds of everything I read over at RR.

I know I am in the minority but I really don't want this guy. From what I have gathered, if he comes to Duke, he will have been talked into it. If a prospect has to be talked into playing for Duke, I would rather him not come at all. In addition to that, he just strikes me more as a UK guy than a Duke guy. Lastly, I think him coming could mess up chemistry next year. As much as we would like to think that K will one day go 10 deep, it ain't gonna happen. He doesn't like to do it. Amile has potential to be one of the best big men in the country next year. Hopefully Jeter's hands will grow and he can contribute more next year off the bench. I will take my chances with Amile, Giles, Jeter, and Javin in the post next year.

No offense, Dahntay, but this seems more like a post where you are trying to make us not getting him easier for you to deal with.

guys at UK dont get big minutes either with all the line changes.... w/o him, we know its amile/chase and what we get from vrank and obi (if he is still around)....also would provide more time for DeLaurier @ the 4 w/ Giles....much rather DeLaurier and Chase get valuable minutes

Why does the 247 Crystal Ball predictions still have Duke at a 68% favorite for Bolden? Should be the other way around in UK's favor by the sounds of everything I read over at RR.
I keep wondering that too. ts funny because Jason Marcum(who made the last prediction for UK) wrote an article after the Jordan brand classic saying since bolden didn't announce at the classic on Friday, the U.K. Staff lost confidence and that Duke was gaining confidence in landing bolden. Who knows. Very confusing! Lol

No offense, Dahntay, but this seems more like a post where you are trying to make us not getting him easier for you to deal with.
Its not at all. I am not in the know and really have no idea what is going to happen. I am honestly saying that I do not want him to come to Duke. I am not in the camp of people who wants any and every 5 star player to come to Duke just because they are a 5 star player.

If he ends up coming, of course I will not root against him or anything. I just think he might be bad for the team. Although we will have more talent if he comes, I think we are a better TEAM without him. Every 5 star player will not handle being the 4th best freshman on a team the way Grayson did. There is a chance that he will never be better than the 5th best scoring option when he is on the court.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
^ While this is true, K's ideal lineup just needs a big, a stretch 4, and 3 perimeter players. Our presumed starting lineup essentially has two power forwards and two shooting guards, that is if you consider Frank Jackson to be a shooting guard.

Jackson is a SG, nowhere near a PG right now.....if people are expecting him to be a legit PG next year, well, they're in a for a bit of a surprise.

If Allen isn't interested in UK you know Cal is pulling out some desperation moves for Bolden.

That's what I think. And, Labissiere is signing with an agent and declaring for the draft. So is Marcus Lee - but not signing with an agent. So, space is opening up for Bolden.

I suspect, with ahh555, that he's struggling a bit with what to do. Have no idea whether he really wants UK but is being urged to go to Duke. I don't really buy that story b/c he has great friends at Duke and I think he wants to play alongside them as well as UK. But, I also think he wants to be one-and-done and suspect he's concerned about how well he'll do at either school.

I have no idea what he will do and have no inside info but with an 18 year old - there are no "sure things" when it comes to decisions (I've raised two kids who are now well into their 20's, and have three nieces and nephews with whom I'm close who are also in their 20's now - as well as counseling many teens and parents - decisions are pretty tough for kids at that age). And, how many kids have actually declared for schools and then backed out and went somewhere else?

Sounding like Cal got Mom on board.

That's why predicting certainty on an 18 year old who is taking a long time to make such a decision is out the door on these things - no matter who the insider is - even if it's the kid himself. It's a crap shoot.

Inside info is great, but there's no predicting recruiting when there are multiple big-time people in a tug of war for a kid. It gets really tough.

And, now, UK announces, in timely fashion, that Marcus Lee is going to declare for the draft - without an agent. I'm sure that's his decision but I suspect they are hoping Bolden will also see that space is opening at UK for Bolden to get PT.

Well now that we know a 'lock' really just means an unsubstantiated opinion subject to change...Lol.

Bolden most likely starts Day 1 at UK, and is very unlikely to ever start over Amile / HG if they're healthy. Doesn't seem like a tough call. Given how short Duke plays it's bench, a quasi one-and-done is better off at UK, period.

Generally agree except Amile is only a 5 out of necessity. He's really a 4. He's not going to necessarily get more PT than Bolden. He's going to get a lot of PT but Bolden is a pure 5 at the college level and will also play the 5 most of the time for either team.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I'm not going to say I don't want Bolden. I do. But, he's not an absolute get for either team. Recruits I felt were much more important for Duke in the last 10-12 years include Jon Brockman, Greg Monroe, Patrick Patterson and even Brandan Wright. While Bolden would be an absolute great get, he's not a must get. Without him we're still going to be pretty damn good. If anything, it's that I don't want to lose out on him to UK....and I think if some of the Wildcats fans were being honest they'd say the same thing about Duke. It's not like Duke and UK are going to be even average without him. Both are going to contend for a national championship whether he's in the fold or not.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
Do I think Bolden marginally helps? Sure. But, unless we suffer a major injury in the front court, I have a very hard time believing that Bolden will prove to be the difference between a national title or not. Assuming Jefferson's medical hardship is approved, a rotation of Amile, Jeter, and Giles should be more than enough at the 4-5 --- particularly considering that, against a lot of teams, we probably could get away with Tatum at the 4 for short stretches. He's getting a lot of attention b/c the season is over and the rest of the roster is set; but, on the list of things that will decide whether we win a NC next year, Bolden's decision is pretty darn low on the list -- way behind Giles' health / effectiveness, Tatum's perimeter shooting, Jackson's adjustment to the PG, etc.

I'm not going to say I don't want Bolden. I do. But, he's not an absolute get for either team. Recruits I felt were much more important for Duke in the last 10-12 years include Jon Brockman, Greg Monroe, Patrick Patterson and even Brandan Wright. While Bolden would be an absolute great get, he's not a must get. Without him we're still going to be pretty damn good. If anything, it's that I don't want to lose out on him to UK....and I think if some of the Wildcats fans were being honest they'd say the same thing about Duke. It's not like Duke and UK are going to be even average without him. Both are going to contend for a national championship whether he's in the fold or not.
This...

He's the 20th rated recruit. Chase was ranked 12th or something last year. The kid a very good and will help either team but he's not a game changer. If we get him, great! If not, we're still a top 5 team next year.

Generally agree except Amile is only a 5 out of necessity. He's really a 4. He's not going to necessarily get more PT than Bolden. He's going to get a lot of PT but Bolden is a pure 5 at the college level and will also play the 5 most of the time for either team.

Though, I do think it is sometimes underestimated how much Amile's physical maturation changes that dynamic. He played about 20 minutes at the 5 against IU (and Thomas Bryant) in a game where he absolutely dominated the lane -- finishing with 8 pts., 11 rebounds, 8 assists, and 3 blocks. Against UK (where he was playing the 4 admittedly), he finished with a 16 & 15 statline on 7 of 8 shooting. He played a lot of 5 against VCU, and finished with 6 pts., 7 rebounds, 3 blocks. We all remember the job he did against Kaminsky in the 2nd half of the title game a couple years ago. While there may be some matchups that give Amile problem, I generally think he's quickness, length, athleticism, and [now] strength will probably make him more effective at the 5 than someone like Bolden at the collegiate level. And, in that regard, it's important not to forget that Amile at the 5 makes us far better at the pick and roll and gives us a lot more freedom to pressure the ball. Also, lets not forget that Amile wouldn't be out there in a vacuum. While he'd be a bit undersized at the 5, he's going to be flanked by Harry Giles -- who's not only big enough to play PF, but extremely long for the position -- and Jayson Tatum, who is both very big and long for the 3 spot. I just don't think teams are going to have much success pounding the ball inside even if we have Amile down there.

I just read Marcus Lee's quote...

"I haven't hired an agent because I want to keep my eligibility just in case I decide to come back. But my plan is to go to the NBA. That's my only goal. I want people to know I'm serious about this. I've talked to coach Cal about this and he knows I'm going to the NBA this year."

Sounds really fishy to me. Definitely going to the NBA but wants to remain elibible in case he doesn't go but definitely going??

20 in this class vs 20 in last class is not even close tho.. Don't think he wouldn't get PT and help but I agree even without him were still preseason favs

"I haven't hired an agent because I want to keep my eligibility just in case I decide to come back. But my plan is to go to the NBA. That's my only goal. I want people to know I'm serious about this. I've talked to coach Cal about this and he knows I'm going to the NBA this year."

Sounds really fishy to me. Definitely going to the NBA but wants to remain elibible in case he doesn't go but definitely going??

Guess it just depends on if the NBA team that drafts him can offer more money than Cal?

There's some issue with Marcus Lee. First of all he did an interview with Jeff Goodman of ESPN. UK and Calipari do not want any interviews to be done with Jeff Goodman unless granted permission by UK. He went outside the authority of UK to do the interview which lead some people to question if there was an issue with Lee and Calipari and doing the interview with Goodman was a passive aggressive move to get back at Calipari. A lot of people also say since he went outside the authority of UK to do the interview with Goodman, then more than likely he is not coming back to UK.

DRUNK is when you feel sophisticated but can't pronounce the word! :cool:
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Last edited:
I'm with you somewhat on this. If he comes fine, if he don't fine. I've said for a while now that I feel he really wants to go to UK. Coach K is not going to play 10 guys and give all of them significant pt. The math doesn't work out. It's usually 8 and rarely 9 guys getting the time on the court. I do wish Thornton would have stayed. I think we could have used him a lot in Duke's system. Tough question here but if we had our choice which player would help Duke need more next year Thornton or Bolden? OFC

Thornton, easy.

Patterson is the one who jumps off the page the most for me. He would have been in the class with Singler and Smith, and those 2007-2009 teams would have been a lot different if her were in the rotation. Singler wouldn't have been forced to play in the paint so much in his early years and there would have been some consistent post production (Zoubek was developing and/or injured for years and didn't come into his own until the latter part of his senior year). If I remember, he was a very late singee, just like Bolden.

And as you say, the circumstance is different now. Patterson would have completely changed the complexion of those teams and provided them with something they otherwise didn't have. Bolden can strengthen an already strong group.

Patterson is the one who jumps off the page the most for me. He would have been in the class with Singler and Smith, and those 2007-2009 teams would have been a lot different if her were in the rotation. Singler wouldn't have been forced to play in the paint so much in his early years and there would have been some consistent post production (Zoubek was developing and/or injured for years and didn't come into his own until the latter part of his senior year). If I remember, he was a very late singee, just like Bolden.

And as you say, the circumstance is different now. Patterson would have completely changed the complexion of those teams and provided them with something they otherwise didn't have. Bolden can strengthen an already strong group.
I thought we were going to get Patterson too. Bummer, he would have been a huge missing piece those years.

This...

He's the 20th rated recruit. Chase was ranked 12th or something last year. The kid a very good and will help either team but he's not a game changer. If we get him, great! If not, we're still a top 5 team next year.
If you watched Chase or Bolden play in HS or even all star games you would see Chase wasn't ready to be a huge contributor as a frosh(I did expect him to be better than he was this year though), but you can see Bolden can come in and play. He has abilities that chase will never be able to have. Rankings can be mis leading. Look at Marshall plumlee as a MCD AA. He wasn't even that good of a HS player. He averaged like 6 ppg game in HS yet was a MCD AA because of his brothers and going to duke.

If anything, it's that I don't want to lose out on him to UK....and I think if some of the Wildcats fans were being honest they'd say the same thing about Duke. It's not like Duke and UK are going to be even average without him. Both are going to contend for a national championship whether he's in the fold or not.
I agree with this 100 percent. I don't really think its a big need for you guys or for us, more of just the cherry on top for either one of our classes. Both teams will be in the running for the title at the end of the year with or without him I believe.

People aren't gonna like to hear this, but Patterson was NEVER coming to Duke. Believe me or don't believe me, but I played a few AAU tournaments with Patterson going into his SR year (he played, I rode the bench) and he kept Duke around during his recruitment for the National Spotlight, he was going to UK or Florida all along.
I kid you not, but he often made comments like "the people at Duke are just too weird for me," "zero attractive girls at Duke." I HAVE NO IDEA WHY HE DRAGGED HIS COMMITMENT TO THE END, but oddly I was probably a handful of guys who knew Duke had no chance.

People aren't gonna like to hear this, but Patterson was NEVER coming to Duke. Believe me or don't believe me, but I played a few AAU tournaments with Patterson going into his SR year (he played, I rode the bench) and he kept Duke around during his recruitment for the National Spotlight, he was going to UK or Florida all along.
I kid you not, but he often made comments like "the people at Duke are just too weird for me," "zero attractive girls at Duke." I HAVE NO IDEA WHY HE DRAGGED HIS COMMITMENT TO THE END, but oddly I was probably a handful of guys who knew Duke had no chance.

He would definitely not be the first or only guy who strung Duke along for the marquee name on the offer list.

He would definitely not be the first or only guy who strung Duke along for the marquee name on the offer list.
Agreed. UK wasn't "marquee" in 2007 as they were transitioning from Tubby to Gillespie. And UNC and Kansas weren't recruiting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT