ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden Love

RanDEVILman

All Conference
Jan 13, 2014
I know its been discussed on here in a few other threads this year, but guys this dude is ballin. Hes improved offensively since last year. Its not so much his back to the basket stuff, although he is a little better there, but he used to travel and play weak on put backs a lot, and he finishes all the time now. He's also shooting FTs much more confidently.

All thats nice, but the best thing is his DEFENSE. Hes a 7-footer who allows our team to switch 1-5. He gets beat on switches some, but mostly does a great job moving his feet. Do you understand how big it is to be able to switch 1-5. It simplifies the defense so much. Communication is still important but there is much less thinking when the answer to every action is just to switch. That combined with our other athletes makes this D go. This style also is much easier to teach, and I believe its helped the young guys play better D earlier. Past Duke teams have had to learn more complicated systems. Even the 15 team couldn't switch everywhere unless Amile was at 5, they had to learn to play D around Okafor, which took some time. Anyways, much love to Bolden for sticking it out when it was tough and becoming a great piece of this team.

He's doing his job OFC

This is amazingly well stated in such few words. He is absolutely doing his job. It's tough for a teenager to accept that he has gone from a top 10 recruit, possibly 1 and done, to a 4 year role player. His progress has never been dramatic, but it has been consistent. Most importantly, he has earned the trust of K, something that Javin is still working towards. We have plenty of big guns on this roster where he isn't going to be asked to be a 20/10 guy. What this team needs is him to do his job and that he is. To be honest he is doing it better than anyone on here expected.

I really hope he comes back next year and finishes what he started at Duke. With as much improvement as we have seen this year, there is still plenty left. I haven't given up hope that he is an NBA talent and to be honest I think it is much more likely now than at the beginning of the year. He is still a 1/2 step slow in certain spots, which will take him from a very good rim protector to a great rim protector. He is still a 1/2 step slow on his post moves when he gets the opportunity. We all heard rumors over the summer about how hard he was working and we were disappointed with his Canada showing. I think we are all now seeing that hard work pay off. If he works equally hard this summer, I do believe he can hear his name called on draft night 2020.

Reactions: skysdad
Stay healthy big fella. He is a junior, but due to injuries, he is barely more than a freshman. He not only missed game time due to injuries his first 2 years, but a ton of practice time too. I think we underestimate his room for growth this year if he can string together an uninterrupted stretch of practice and game time. An even better Bolden than we have already seen this year really puts us over the top. Maybe even a bigger factor than 3 pt% going forward.

Bolden's season is starting to feel very Zoubek-esque, hopefully it ends the same.

His interior defense has been an A+ in January, he stands his ground and always make the opponent make a very tough shot. Plus he's so much stronger down low on offense, he' starting to dunk everything and not play with the ball.

I remember watching a few of the Canada games and just resigning myself into thinking Marques was never going to be a factor at Duke. He couldn't have played worse on that trip, and it would have been easy for him to crawl into a hole. Rather, he continued to work hard and now it's paying great dividends. His confidence is soaring every game.

Seems like a great team player who understands his role. He seems to be more comfortable this year on the floor. I would love to see him develop a mid range jump shot and come back for his senior year.

I remember watching a few of the Canada games and just resigning myself into thinking Marques was never going to be a factor at Duke. He couldn't have played worse on that trip, and it would have been easy for him to crawl into a hole. Rather, he continued to work hard and now it's paying great dividends. His confidence is soaring every game.
Yes, Bilas bring this up every broadcast he does.

Yes, Bilas bring this up every broadcast he does.

And thank god for that. That highlights Bolden's work ethic and improvement, while giving Bilas an opportunity to point out that Bolden's first few seasons were marred by injury. NBA teams are looking for improving players that can contribute immediately, if only in narrow ways.
Bolden looked awful in Canada, and now he's playing ideal D, getting the ball to wing scorers, and cleaning up their missed shots while mostly operating in the post. And he's hitting FTs, meaning you can have him in the game at the end.
In other words, exactly what NBA teams want from developing bigs off the bench in the short term, with the ability to develop into a quality starter down the road.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I hate to be THAT guy that believed in Bolden when a lot of fans gave up on him early in his career...oh hell, I AM THAT GUY!

Also, several others didn’t give up on Bolden either so I won’t take ALL of the credit.

Carry on....

Same here. But I'll admit to getting worried after Canada.

Reactions: Quavarius
And thank god for that. That highlights Bolden's work ethic and improvement, while giving Bilas an opportunity to point out that Bolden's first few seasons were marred by injury. NBA teams are looking for improving players that can contribute immediately, if only in narrow ways.
Bolden looked awful in Canada, and now he's playing ideal D, getting the ball to wing scorers, and cleaning up their missed shots while mostly operating in the post. And he's hitting FTs, meaning you can have him in the game at the end.
In other words, exactly what NBA teams want from developing bigs off the bench in the short term, with the ability to develop into a quality starter down the road.
Bolden has continued to rise, and it’s huge for this team. I’m not sure i wrote him off after Canada, someone can go fact check me on that, but you had to be discouraged to say the least.

We recorded the podcast today. Talked a bit about Boldens rise and as you pointed out it’s a testament to his work ethic and sticking with it.

Bilas also mentions EVERY game that Bolden has great feet. His feet are heavy and very slow. It frustrates me that he mentions that every single game.

He's playing well, though. I still don't think he's been consistent. I would like to see him be someone we can trust and throw it to in the post. They did it a few times last game to mixed results. But I do like his effort and body language.

Seems to have pretty much secured that 5th spot. So happy for the young man. Let’s get #6 and then come back next year to win #7 with an upper class team.

I loved seeing Coach Nate giving Ques recognition after that recovery block. Nate Dogg was flexing hard.

Would love another year of Ques.

I'm gonna pat myself on the back along with Q in saying I've never had a problem with Bolden. He's been hurt for most of his career and has had to deal with such great talent such as Bagley and Carter. Some posters have felt he has been lazy and a non hustler for most of his career at Duke. Then there are the body language experts that have been predciting his transfer ever since the end of his freshman year. What I see is a guy who is finally healthy and dispute once again be surrounded by incredible talent has excepted his role. Once again another talented class is due in next year with another talented big. I believe he will be back next year and play a big time roll for us. Its his position for someone to take. Hes not gonna transfer. He does his freaking job and I for one am happy that he has stuck it out. He's a Dukie and always will be to me. He's playing well and should he have a off game or two let's not Bolden bash. OFC

Last edited:
I'm gonna pat myself on the back alongwith Q in saying I've never had a problem with Bolden. Heso been hurt for most of his career and has had to deal with such great talent such as Bagley and Carter. Some posters have felt he has been lazy and a non hustler for most of his career at Duke. Then there are the body language experts that have been predciting his transfer ever since the end of his freshman year. What I see is a guy whon is finally healthy and dispute once again be surrounded by incredible talent has excepted his role. Once again another talented class is due in next year with another talented big. I believe he will be back next year and play a big time roll for us. Its his position for someone to take. Hes not gonna transfer. He does his freaking job and I for one am happy that he has stuck it out. He's a Dukie and always will be to me. He's playing well and should he have a off game or two let's not Bolden bash. OFC
If you disagree with that, you’re probably not a Duke fan.

Btw, count me in the camp this offseason that didn’t want Carey to reclassify and wanted Bolden to win the starting 5 spot. This team need his experience and willingness to do some of the dirty work down low. Not sure Carey would have been what this team needed. Next year, he can have a bigger spotlight to showcase his skills. Heck, both of them can.

Btw, count me in the camp this offseason that didn’t want Carey to reclassify and wanted Bolden to win the starting 5 spot. This team need his experience and willingness to do some of the dirty work down low. Not sure Carey would have been what this team needed. Next year, he can have a bigger spotlight to showcase his skills. Heck, both of them can.

Carey is gonna benefit greatly with Bolden around. OFC

Agreed! Well said. I also understand that the viewers don’t watch every Duke game like myself. I was merely pointing out that Bilas truly does bring it up every game lol.

Reactions: PatrickYates
Agreed! Well said. I also understand that the viewers don’t watch every Duke game like myself. I was merely pointing out that Bilas truly does bring it up every game lol.

Bilas loves the Earn Everything and his time with Duke in Canada. And you and Yates are right, he was about as bad as can be in Canada. His resurgence looks so much more striking because of it. Love what he’s doing. Selfishly hoping he’s not playing his way into the draft.

Reactions: bfort2223
Ques is as important as anybody on the roster. Winning a chip takes ALL PARTS falling in place. Injuries, desire, health, shots etc etc etc etc. Q is as important as every other factor. Zion included. Just how winning champs goes- everuthing must aling.

Point- DONT OVERLOOK ANYBODY. We have a special group- enjoy- Every play!!!!

Bilas loves the Earn Everything and his time with Duke in Canada. And you and Yates are right, he was about as bad as can be in Canada. His resurgence looks so much more striking because of it. Love what he’s doing. Selfishly hoping he’s not playing his way into the draft.

I'm still uncertain as to how Bolden and Carey coexist. Not attitude or because of selfishness. Further, IDGAF about how they'd fit offensively (though I have some concerns there as well).
How do Carey and Bolden coexist on defense? Who guards mobile PFs? Keeping in mind that the rest of the team is likely to be worse, and possibly much worse, on defense than we are this year? We can switch on D now because 3 of the other 4 guys on the court with Bolden can hold their own on D, with the 4ht guy merely being Tre. Not that Tre is a bad defender or anything, but having Tre guard quality bigs on a switch will be dicey, as is when Bolden is switched onto a top tier PG. Our guys do it as well as it can be done, but there is inherent dangers in such moments.
I can live with Carey as the nominal big on D next year. He won't be great on D, but he'll be a much better scorer than Bolden, at all levels. But I don't see how Bolden and Carey can coexist on D. I'd love to be wrong about that, but I just don't see how.

Bolden has stepped up his play. I really do like the inside out game with coach k giving him some early offensive touches it makes him play defense even harder. Also I think Bolden playing with Tre a True point guard gives him confidence that he will get some easy touches. The Canada trip not having Tre affected Boldens game the most by not being able to build his confidence with little dump passes.

Bolden and Carey, you might have to go zone. Then again, this time last year, we had no idea that Zion could chase pt guards around. Neither did the kid from ND! Maybe Carey can really play some D.

What are the chances of him coming back for his senior season? over or under 50% ? I think with his improved play he will not be back,I hope I'm wrong

What are the chances of him coming back for his senior season? over or under 50% ? I think with his improved play he will not be back,I hope I'm wrong
If we win a natty, I'd say less than 10%. That usually strikes a mass exodus. That also means Bolden probably had some big contributions with national exposure.

I get the feeling Bolden won't return next season, but I'd love to be wrong.
That’s the feeling and overriding sentiment i have gathered as well but would love to have him finish out the journey. Bolden getting a lot of airtime and praise OTPC this week.

And let’s be honest he would add a ton to next year’s roster. Out of all the recruits we missed out on, this would be equally disappointing.

I'm gonna pat myself on the back along with Q in saying I've never had a problem with Bolden. He's been hurt for most of his career and has had to deal with such great talent such as Bagley and Carter. Some posters have felt he has been lazy and a non hustler for most of his career at Duke. Then there are the body language experts that have been predciting his transfer ever since the end of his freshman year. What I see is a guy who is finally healthy and dispute once again be surrounded by incredible talent has excepted his role. Once again another talented class is due in next year with another talented big. I believe he will be back next year and play a big time roll for us. Its his position for someone to take. Hes not gonna transfer. He does his freaking job and I for one am happy that he has stuck it out. He's a Dukie and always will be to me. He's playing well and should he have a off game or two let's not Bolden bash. OFC

I really wish the Body Language experts would raise their hands!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT