ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest “What if’s” in Duke basketball (BK-Before K)

What if Tom Butters had hired Tom Davis of B.C. instead of Coach K? I actually wanted it to be Davis. He was a really good coach and had a few 20 game winning seasons under his belt. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
What if Adolph Rupp did come to Duke.

I'm glad he didn't. Never cared for him at all. There was just something about him. If he had came to Duke I'm not sure we would ever had got Coach K. It would have been the timing and how everything would have went when Rupp left. Things turned out for the better with Duke. We got Foster who did well. Then that opened the door for the G.O.A.T. OFC

That doesn’t get mentioned a lot. Yes Butters made the final decision, but Knight—at that time—was just a big as K is today and was able to convince Butters.
He told Butters something to the effect of “He has all my good qualities but none of my bad.”
Knight was joking and said he was asked if he’d be interested. He said he told Butters Duke is different than Indiana, and that they wouldn’t like him throwing someone out a window.

What????? I’ve never heard of this. Do tell
I cant remember all the details, I read it years ago in a book, but he almost did come to Duke after Kentucky, but Foster came instead, some of the OFC could probably give more detail.

Reactions: Quavarius
I cant remember all the details, I read it years ago in a book, but he almost did come to Duke after Kentucky, but Foster came instead, some of the OFC could probably give more detail.

Billy Packer reported that. It's been a while but for the life of me I don't remember a thing about it. Not even a rumor. If anyone on this board knows it's Jim Sumner. OFC

Oh trust me at the time I was upset we lost those 2. It was just funny how it worked out. We had such a balanced team. Williams took a lot of shots his sophomore season at Memphis. It just worked out chemistry wise. But yeah, at the time I thought we were one injury away from trouble.

Oh trust me at the time I was upset we lost those 2. It was just funny how it worked out. We had such a balanced team. Williams took a lot of shots his sophomore season at Memphis. It just worked out chemistry wise. But yeah, at the time I thought we were one injury away from trouble.
The result of those two leaving triggered Dre coming to Duke early. We only had “four” guards and i think that included Kyle haha.

Reactions: christophero
eR5zhOI.jpg

Reactions: skysdad
Remember, this is the “what if’s” before K came to Duke.

The other one is for while K has been at Duke

Reactions: skysdad
What if we played man to man vs Kentucky and doubled Givens on every catch rather than watching him carve our 2-3 zone for 40+?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT