ADVERTISEMENT

Best of luck in the coming storm for those in its path

I went through Hurricane Harvey last year and it sucked. Hope everyone is ok when it's over so we can argue college basketball again.
I live in North Central North Carolina and went through Fran and Floyd when they hit North Carolina in the mid to late 90’s, so I’m not looking forward to Florence coming through this weekend.

I went through Hurricane Harvey last year and it sucked. Hope everyone is ok when it's over so we can argue college basketball again.

Where were you in Harvey? I live in Spring, 20 minutes north of Houston. We got 30 inches of rain in our neighborhood. I made the mistake of leaving in my truck to see how things looked. I nearly didn't make it back into the neighborhood with 2 feet of water on one of the streets. Luckily we are not in a flood plain so the house was fine......

Meh ..A jayhawk:mad:...Guess it’s better then a TARHEEEL though ;) (very) thoughtful post! :) I like the Jayhawks a little more after today!

Where were you in Harvey? I live in Spring, 20 minutes north of Houston. We got 30 inches of rain in our neighborhood. I made the mistake of leaving in my truck to see how things looked. I nearly didn't make it back into the neighborhood with 2 feet of water on one of the streets. Luckily we are not in a flood plain so the house was fine......

West side of Houston. We got about 50 inches of rain and then they opened up Addicks reservoir and flooded the subdivision. We were on "high" ground and did not get flooded, but lots around us did. I joined a group that stood guard on our subdivision 24/7 against looters while we waited for the water to go down.

For anyone that hasn't been through something like this before, here are a couple pointers.

1 - Floodwaters are dangerous no matter what. They often have sewage in them. You can get sick just by having contact with floodwater.

2 - Walking in floodwater is incredibly dangerous. Manhole covers can get carried away and if you step into an open manhole, you're dead. You'll go under and there will be no way out. Remember that the water is flowing in the storm sewers. If nothing else, use a pole to probe in front of you to make sure there is solid ground where you're going.

3 - Do not, under any circumstances, move up into your attic to avoid rising water in your home. If you move into the attic and the water rises that high, you're trapped. You are much better off going up onto your roof.

4 - Check your neighbors. Older people are often unable to take care of themselves in these situations. Find out emergency contacts for your neighbors before the storm so you can help them stay in touch with those they need to contact.

5 - If the worst happens and your neighborhood is flooded, band together with your neighbors to keep watch. Looters will come in and totally trash houses. A show of force goes a very long way. Remember that the police will be overtaxed during an emergency like this, so a simple burglary may take a long time for them to respond to. An ounce of prevention here goes a very long way.

There are many other things that need to be added here. I'm just going off the top of my head. If others can think of things to add to this list, please feel free to add.

Thoughtful post.....and glad you made it through Harvey ok

My thought and prayers for all in the path. Live in Houston and over 670 homes a mile from me were flooded. It was beyond words. Watching and hoping for the best. Go Devils.

West side of Houston. We got about 50 inches of rain and then they opened up Addicks reservoir and flooded the subdivision. We were on "high" ground and did not get flooded, but lots around us did. I joined a group that stood guard on our subdivision 24/7 against looters while we waited for the water to go down.

For anyone that hasn't been through something like this before, here are a couple pointers.

1 - Floodwaters are dangerous no matter what. They often have sewage in them. You can get sick just by having contact with floodwater.

2 - Walking in floodwater is incredibly dangerous. Manhole covers can get carried away and if you step into an open manhole, you're dead. You'll go under and there will be no way out. Remember that the water is flowing in the storm sewers. If nothing else, use a pole to probe in front of you to make sure there is solid ground where you're going.

3 - Do not, under any circumstances, move up into your attic to avoid rising water in your home. If you move into the attic and the water rises that high, you're trapped. You are much better off going up onto your roof.

4 - Check your neighbors. Older people are often unable to take care of themselves in these situations. Find out emergency contacts for your neighbors before the storm so you can help them stay in touch with those they need to contact.

5 - If the worst happens and your neighborhood is flooded, band together with your neighbors to keep watch. Looters will come in and totally trash houses. A show of force goes a very long way. Remember that the police will be overtaxed during an emergency like this, so a simple burglary may take a long time for them to respond to. An ounce of prevention here goes a very long way.

There are many other things that need to be added here. I'm just going off the top of my head. If others can think of things to add to this list, please feel free to add.

Would have never thought about #2......that's scary

Solid post,anyone in the path should read and heed

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
if you're looking in the garage cause the door got blown off, WS. If you're in my home 45acp , center mass.

I live in the country with neighbors maybe a mile away. I got all these guns and nobody to use them on!!! :( (Kidding) but yea I got a lot of guns lol. Probally every one you could name. Bows etc.

Ok ya got me no no no no ...lmao I should of said (not specific) but pretty much every kind of gun; with multiple of each.. just guns guns guns. Should of said caliber. Or hunting guns. .Kinda more common guns. 270 243 204 22 250 223 7mm 9mm 20 gauge 10 gauge 12 gauge etc etc etc. Nothing flashy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Showenuff
I feel like show is just wanting to shoot someone, and the hurricane is secondary.

IPSY, the most fun lil pistol you'll ever own, PMR-30. Shoots a 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire round, all composite, super light , 30 in the mag , 1 in the pipe. rips'em out just as fast as you can squeeze it and the muzzle blast is epic. Accurate to with fiber sights. Just make sure you get a Gen2, the Gen1's jam like it's their job.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
IPSY, the most fun lil pistol you'll ever own, PMR-30. Shoots a 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire round, all composite, super light , 30 in the mag , 1 in the pipe. rips'em out just as fast as you can squeeze it and the muzzle blast is epic. Accurate to with fiber sights. Just make sure you get a Gen2, the Gen1's jam like it's their job.
In my experience a lot of 22s jam, or you get duds and such. Never had a semi 22 magnum though. Got a 22 revolver that’s interchangeable for the magnum . Few semi 22 rifles. A 22 semi pistol. I love anything 22! (Cheaper) bullets! Well not sure about the magnum ones. I don’t think I’ve ever bought those bullets come to think of it . Or it’s been a while. I reload now a lot. Not the 22 caliber though given how (cheaper) the bullets are, and how many you would have to reload.. Not worth it to me.

You want to see a cool 22 that I’ve always wanted . My dream gun! Look up The American 180. I want that sucka! Bad! Watch some YouTube videos and get back to me. Lol if I could find one I’d take out a loan for that sucka!

Ipsy and a pistol in hand?? Ummmm not too sure about that combo :D
I once shot a 44 magnum drunk with one hand. It kicked up, flew up over my head, hit me in top head, and I caught it behind my back. You might be right! Lmao made everybody laugh though. I just gently squeezed the trigger nonchalant like...and yea bad idea...I said it was just “skills”:cool: fumbling stumbling mumbling jumling hell of a catch!

Last edited:
eO3jSYs.jpg

I have a couple of the little American Arms .22 magnum revolvers. That thing has a lot of recoil for a .22!!!

Reactions: Showenuff
.270 is my favorite (Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS to be exact.) I have yet to lose a deer or hog with it. 140 grain Hornady bullets too :)

Love my .270
I hand load .270, .223, and 9mm.
For my .270, I am using 130gr hornady SST. The accuracy of hand loads, once you identify the right recipe, is worlds better than store bought ammo!!

Love my .270
I hand load .270, .223, and 9mm.
For my .270, I am using 130gr hornady SST. The accuracy of hand loads, once you identify the right recipe, is worlds better than store bought ammo!!

I still buy Hornady Interlocks, I've had great luck and they shoot .25 MOA in my set up. I did find a nifty tool about 10 years ago that I love for my .270 though. Its made by Simms, called a Limbsaver sharpshooter barrel de-resonator. It shortens the amount of "whip" on the barrel, making it more accurate. Can't wait for deer season up in Oklahoma. I alternate between OK and KS each year. Ugh, I wish late November was here

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sims-limbsaver-sharpshooter-x-ring-barrel-de-resonator

I still buy Hornady Interlocks, I've had great luck and they shoot .25 MOA in my set up. I did find a nifty tool about 10 years ago that I love for my .270 though. Its made by Simms, called a Limbsaver sharpshooter barrel de-resonator. It shortens the amount of "whip" on the barrel, making it more accurate. Can't wait for deer season up in Oklahoma. I alternate between OK and KS each year. Ugh, I wish late November was here

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sims-limbsaver-sharpshooter-x-ring-barrel-de-resonator

I've used limbsaver stuff on my compound bows, but never on a gun. No issues with it getting to hot? Looks interesting.

This is 4 shots at 100 yards. I wish I still had the old pic. I made 4 different recipes, and shot a group of 4 with each. It was amazing to me how much different the groups were with each different recipe.

XeHUExG.png

I've used limbsaver stuff on my compound bows, but never on a gun. No issues with it getting to hot? Looks interesting.

No, it never really gets hot. Of course when I sight a gun in, I let the barrel cool between each shot so it is as close to "real world" hunting simulation since I shoot from a cold barrel during deer season. I put mine back 1.5 inches from crown of the barrel. When I have shot multiple rounds quickly, it does not get got either.

This is 4 shots at 100 yards. I wish I still had the old pic. I made 4 different recipes, and shot a group of 4 with each. It was amazing to me how much different the groups were with each different recipe.

XeHUExG.png

I need to get into hand loading. It's one of the few things I haven't tried yet. Looks like fun. But for deer, .25 MOA is ample for accuracy. Anything in a pie plate really is in the kill zone. Ever try using .140 grains? Maybe I will have you load me some sometime :)

I also urge people to give Prolix a try for their lubricant. Goes on wet like water, drys completely dry. It's the only lubricant I use, never a speck of rust, even in humid Houston. You can get it on Amazon, but their website has tons of useful info on it.
https://www.prolixlubricant.com/productdetails.html

Damn I wish I was hunting now. You guys got me all jacked up ! Get me some deer piss and lets roll !

Last edited:

XeHUExG.png
Can’t beat home recipes ....store bought ammo is for rookies....:p

I need to get into hand loading. It's one of the few things I haven't tried yet. Looks like fun. But for deer, .25 MOA is ample for accuracy. Anything in a pie plate really is in the kill zone. Ever try using .140 grains? Maybe I will have you load me some sometime :)

I also urge people to give Prolix a try for their lubricant. Goes on wet like water, drys completely dry. It's the only lubricant I use, never a speck of rust, even in humid Houston. You can get it on Amazon, but their website has tons of useful info on it.
https://www.prolixlubricant.com/productdetails.html

Damn I wish I was hunting now. You guys got me all jacked up ! Get me some deer piss and lets roll !
“I got me some deer piss and let’s roll” :)lmao ..they need a crying laughing emoji on here:...

I’ve always been hooked on Ballistol. I absolutely love it. I’m gonna check Prolix out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT