ADVERTISEMENT

Barrett no longer number one recruit

Yup. Because I went to Oak Hill. They focus heavily on it and pretty much make it impossible for you to fail.
Heavily on...academics? I’m assuming that’s what u mean because we all know they definitely focus on basketball. That’s pretty cool u went there.

Heavily on...academics? I’m assuming that’s what u mean because we all know they definitely focus on basketball. That’s pretty cool u went there.

Basketball is huge at Oak Hill. But if you’re not on the team that goes all over the country to play hoops then life is pretty different. It’s the in the middle of nowhere in bumass Virginia and it’s very strict.

Basketball is huge at Oak Hill. But if you’re not on the team that goes all over the country to play hoops then life is pretty different. It’s the in the middle of nowhere in bumass Virginia and it’s very strict.
Are u allowed to have a car?

They offer AFAM protocol like UNC?
Come on SoCal. Lol. U gotta remember that Duke has gotten a decent amount of recruits from Oak Hill. Cook, Nolan Smith, Giles, and I believe Avery went there also. I’m sure there are more Blue Devils that went there but those come to mind right off the bat.

Are u allowed to have a car?

Haha, hell no. And you can get kicked out pretty easy if you don’t tow the line. Plus, you’re not allowed to have a phone.

Come on SoCal. Lol. U gotta remember that Duke has gotten a decent amount of recruits from Oak Hill. Cook, Nolan Smith, Giles, and I believe Avery went there also. I’m sure there are more Blue Devils that went there but those come to mind right off the bat.

I was there when Quinn was. He was two years ahead of me. He was cocky, but not an inherently mean person. If you’re a player with that kind of ability, I’d probably be the same way. I actually remember on senior night wishing him luck, and he was very gracious even though he knew I was UNC fan.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball

Also a decent amount of Tar Heels have come from there too- Jerry Stackhouse, Jeff McInnis, Ty Lawson, Nate Britt, Makhtar Ndiaye

Haha, hell no. And you can get kicked out pretty easy if you don’t tow the line. Plus, you’re not allowed to have a phone.

I was there when Quinn was. He was two years ahead of me. He was cocky, but not an inherently mean person. If you’re a player with that kind of ability, I’d probably be the same way. I actually remember on senior night wishing him luck, and he was very gracious even though he knew I was UNC fan.
Damn no phone!! That is crazy! I don’t mean to be pestering u with questions, but what if u do want to get out and u don’t have a car. Seems too strict!

I care about none of that. What I want is for our starting five to all get drafted in the first round. Because that would be the greatest day in the history of Duke's program.

And hopefully those same five can say they were part of #6!

#SightsOnSix

OFC

I am pretty sure Oak Hill is located in one of the only 3 spots left in earth without cell service.

Damn no phone!! That is crazy! I don’t mean to be pestering u with questions, but what if u do want to get out and u don’t have a car. Seems too strict!

It’s all good man. The truth is, you can’t go anywhere unless it’s a specific trip they take you on outside of campus. You’re stuck there unless they say otherwise or if it’s a holiday and you go home. I agree, it’s too strict, and one of the reasons I left the place. That and the social dynamic is really unstable.

I am pretty sure Oak Hill is located in one of the only 3 spots left in earth without cell service.

Pretty much. When I say it’s in the middle of nowhere, I mean it’s really in the middle of nowhere.

It’s all good man. The truth is, you can’t go anywhere unless it’s a specific trip they take you on outside of campus. You’re stuck there unless they say otherwise or if it’s a holiday and you go home. I agree, it’s too strict, and one of the reasons I left the place. That and the social dynamic is really unstable.

Pretty much. When I say it’s in the middle of nowhere, I mean it’s really in the middle of nowhere.
I’ve been there. You aren’t lying.

I’ve been there. You aren’t lying.

Yeah, it’s not exactly an ideal place to go to school. For every talented basketball player there’s about three or four pissant drugged up psychos that are on their last chance before the military.

Yea that would drive me incredibly INSANE!! I couldn’t take it.

We did a story on Oak Hill back in time when I worked for the newspaper. They used to load the players up in a van/bus and take them to Hanes Mall in Winston Salem , every so often. That was a pretty long drive from Oak Hill. Don't know if they still do that or not. He is right about one thing, Oak Hill is in a remote location.

I took my son to a home game at Oak Hill when Nolan Smith, Ty Lawson, and Michael Beasley were playing there. It was in the middle of nowhere and they played in a gym that was smaller than some elementary school gyms. I was shocked at how small of a gym it was. I remember telling my son "this is crazy that these future millionaires are playing in this cracker box." There was only about 4 feet from the baseline to the wall of the gym and about 3 feet from the sideline to the little metal bleachers on one side of the gym. On the other side of the gym were just chairs for the players. I sat on the front row and if I stretched my legs out my feet were across the sideline. It was a dump, but the game was awesome.
Beasley was just a junior and was by far the best player on the court.

I took my son to a home game at Oak Hill when Nolan Smith, Ty Lawson, and Michael Beasley were playing there. It was in the middle of nowhere and they played in a gym that was smaller than some elementary school gyms. I was shocked at how small of a gym it was. I remember telling my son "this is crazy that these future millionaires are playing in this cracker box." There was only about 4 feet from the baseline to the wall of the gym and about 3 feet from the sideline to the little metal bleachers on one side of the gym. On the other side of the gym were just chairs for the players. I sat on the front row and if I stretched my legs out my feet were across the sideline. It was a dump, but the game was awesome.
That is funny, I saw the same Oak Hill team, I was so excited because Nolan had just committed to Duke, but Beasley was just on another level.
I watched them play North College Hill (OJ Mayo, Bill Walker) who at the time, OJ was "the next Kobe." Sold out 16k at US Bank Arena in Cincinnati.

Reactions: dukesince91
We did a story on Oak Hill back in time when I worked for the newspaper. They used to load the players up in a van/bus and take them to Hanes Mall in Winston Salem , every so often. That was a pretty long drive from Oak Hill. Don't know if they still do that or not. He is right about one thing, Oak Hill is in a remote location.

They never did that while I was there, but they did have a pretty good level of freedom when they went on those long road trips to tournaments or televised games. Also, if an away game was somewhat close by, they would allow students to come with them.

Yup, you just described the gym perfectly. Small as hell, no room to stretch your legs. Only thing impressive about it is the banners and the amount of McDonalds All-Americans they have on the wall. Otherwise, it’s nothing more than a semi Baptist dump out in the boonies.

That is funny, I saw the same Oak Hill team, I was so excited because Nolan had just committed to Duke, but Beasley was just on another level.
I watched them play North College Hill (OJ Mayo, Bill Walker) who at the time, OJ was "the next Kobe." Sold out 16k at US Bank Arena in Cincinnati.
I didn't really know much about their team then, except that Nolan had committed to Duke. Beasley put on a show during warmups. I remember him dribbling in from the right wing and grabbing the side of the backboard and swinging to the front of the rim with a left handed slam. He was talking to everyone and smiling and laughing. I knew then, he was the sh$t. I also remember how damn fast Lawson was!
I knew UNC was getting a helluva player. He dunked in pregame too, and I though dang he's explosive.

Do they have social things to do on Campus?

I didn't really know much about their team then, except that Nolan had committed to Duke. Beasley put on a show during warmups. I remember him dribbling in from the right wing and grabbing the side of the backboard and swinging to the front of the rim with a left handed slam. He was talking to everyone and smiling and laughing. I knew then, he was the sh$t. I also remember how damn fast Lawson was!
I knew UNC was getting a helluva player. He dunked in pregame too, and I though dang he's explosive.
Lol, I literally remember after watching Lawson live for the first time, thinking "oh no, UNC has this guy, and were gonna be rolling out Greg Paulus to guard him, it's gonna be a long few years..............."

If Zion chose unc that would make him #1 right. OFC

Zion is not challenged in practice like he would be at Oak Hill. There is only one other kid on the team that could be said is a good player.

RJ is playing right now on ESPN U. It's scary how good he's gonna be. Cam is playing later today.

Last edited:
I am watching that too. Barrett is really smooth, very talented, and is getting his teammates involved.

He has made several really nice passss, and the announcers have gone on about what a good defender her has become

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT