ADVERTISEMENT

Barret learning

ioliva

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jul 30, 2009
i wanted to point out that RJ learned a great deal from the Gonzaga loss. The types of shots he took, those law few minutes, were not quality shots. In an exact same type of game situation, down by a possession, time for one shot against a great defense, he could’ve driven the ball and try to get the contact . However, he waited before throwing up his shot and caught the defense in the air ensuring a fouls would be called ( and he really should’ve made the continuation you could see it in his face) for a veteran like play. Kids growing up before our eyes, very well done!

RJ and Cam played more in control throughout the game. Love how Cam was aggressive without hurrying or forcing the action on O. Same with RJ.

This was the point most fans were trying to make after the loss. All of these freshmen are continuously learning. Every single one of them. Sometimes we learn ‘harder’ than others.

i wanted to point out that RJ learned a great deal from the Gonzaga loss. The types of shots he took, those law few minutes, were not quality shots. In an exact same type of game situation, down by a possession, time for one shot against a great defense, he could’ve driven the ball and try to get the contact . However, he waited before throwing up his shot and caught the defense in the air ensuring a fouls would be called ( and he really should’ve made the continuation you could see it in his face) for a veteran like play. Kids growing up before our eyes, very well done!

And much to the dismay of a lot of our fans, he has been able to learn in game. I know a lot of times what he does is “forced” and “outside of the flow of the game,” but it’s those moments that lead to games like this and beyond for him. A lot of this cannot be duplicated in practice. His rough stretches in November and December can be Duke’s great reward in March.

I literally have been noodling on how to present this exact topic. His learning curve is straight up. I've never seen anything like it.
It wasn't that he was selfish or a gunner. He was simply doing something (relentlessly hunting his own shot) that had always worked and resulted in his team winning. His Canadian team didn't beat the US squad because he worked hard to get everyone involved. His team won because he shouldered the scoring load and constantly attacked. In HS, and in AAU, opponents simply couldn't stop him. Him ducking his head and attacking was the best option.
Vs the more structured defenses of college, it isn't as effective all the time. Which he's learned. And he never had to work hard on D. But he's improved in that regard as well. He needs to continue improving, but the improvement already is steady.
There was a legitimate knock on his 3pt shooting. But he can't be left alone out there even now. By March, I suspect opposing coaches will tell their guys to mark him closely out there.
To start the season, I cringed every time he went to the FT line. Now he's the guy I probably most want to take the shots.
Once he realizes that X has to change or improve, he does so. Many top players don't or won't recognize a weakness or flaw. Of those few that do, many work to conceal or minimize it, rather than work to improve that area.
RJ actually tries turn that weakness into a strength.

As much as we love Zion, in 10 years RJ might be guy who is in that "best player on the planet" discussion. If he continues to attack his own game like this, and work to improve, he might be a guy that works his way into that GOAT debate. MIGHT, I say. Lots of moving parts, for sure. But I have rarely seen a guy with his positives work so hard to fix his negatives.

I try to remind myself with some degree of frequency what a phenomenal talent R.J. is, and how fortunate we are to have him.

I mean this as no slight whatsoever to the numerous exceptionally talented freshmen we've had over the last decade or so, but R.J. very well may end up being the best of them.

And yet, if the national player of the year was named tomorrow, it'd probably be Zion.

Crazy.

His pump fake at the end to draw the foul was evidence of him learning from his past mistakes imo.

Reactions: dukehokie
I'll admit that when Zion went out, I feared RJ would try and put this team on his shoulders alone and do too much/force things. Him and Cam played phenomenally and played within themselves. I've given RJ a hard time, but it's never been personal; I'm delighted to watch him grow.

RJ has learned from the Gonzaga game, and I would say that he will remember that game a lot longer than we will. As great a player as he is, he will continue to improve, and for my part, I am stoked to have him at Duke. He has great Coaches, great ability, and a willingness to be the best that he can be.
He showed @ FSU some of the experience he has gained since then, and he will only get better as the season progresses.
Loved the way he picked up the slack when Zion went out, and I hope he does it whenever the team is struggling.
Go Duke!
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT