ADVERTISEMENT

Its Shooting woes, dangit!!!

Do you seriously not think this is a tournament team? I cannot fathom this team not making the tournament. Sure, if we had a catastrophic injury to a central player, then id give you that. Eight games. Eight. It's November. Step off the ledge, man.
Think he was responding to my post bleed about them at this moment being a tournament team where others are worrying about Duke making the sweet 16. Saying it’s not enough achievement for Scheyer his first year to just make the tourney.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
We just need to win tonight. If we lose and Lively and Whitehead score 4 points, the entire country will be asking what is up with Duke.
Think a lot are already asking that about the offense Chris. The main thing you hear when Duke is mentioned is what is our offensive identity.

Reactions: christophero
We just need to win tonight. If we lose and Lively and Whitehead score 4 points, the entire country will be asking what is up with Duke.
You know, Carolina has been the biggest head-scratcher and way less time has been spent on their early season woes than ours. Duke is about where I expected we would be. Carolina could easily be 5-3 tonight and I really thought they would've been better thus far. That said, I hope it continues, 😂

Do you seriously not think this is a tournament team? I cannot fathom this team not making the tournament. Sure, if we had a catastrophic injury to a central player, then id give you that. Eight games. Eight. It's November. Step off the ledge, man.

Given the way they have been playing, and IF it continues, they will not go to the tournament. BUT. if they improve in a number of areas, and given the undeniable talent, they could become a tournament team. As of right now, they have a ways to go.

OFC

Xavier is the only decent team we have beaten, and they are not ranked. Tonight would be a great start. I think OSU is 24th. We also play Iowa, who is currently not in the top 25. . We only play Virginia once this year. North Carolina twice. So that's four ranked teams we play. Maybe 1-2 more in the ACC tourney.

I don’t see where the ACC is worst than it was last year. Last season, the ACC only got 4 teams into the tournament, and 3 of them made the Elite 8, and two of those 3 made the Final 4. I think the conference is stronger this year than last season. Remember, there weren’t many Top 25 opponents in the ACC last season.

Our 3 pointers are gonna miss miss miss miss miss
and our team can't really shoot, shoot, shoot shoot,
And our coach is really new new new new new
We just have to shake it off, shake it off
I'll see myself out.

I think the first action from the new mods should be some sort of punishment for this post smh

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I wish I was drunk ha. I'm working. It was just a dumb response to Hart's shake it up comment. I'm not nervous. We're either gonna win or we won't. I do think the result will be telling. It seemed like with K we usually responded to these types of games when people doubted us.

I think last night showed we don't need to make 15 threes to win games against good teams. I would take 5/13 shooting from three most any night and figure we would be in the game against almost anyone. If, on any given night we are sizzling from 3, we just win by more. Let's hope those 3 for 25 games are behind us!

Players don't really improve their shooting between December and January.

Honestly, people are pointing to Whitehead or Proctor, but I don't see it. Arguably the best 3 point shooter we have is Filipowski. He's also are only true low post threat. We need two of him. It's stunning to me that Lively was the #1 recruit but he is so raw and has little polish compared to Filipowski at the same age.

There really aren't any pure shooters on this team. There are guys who can make buckets and may be good in the NBA in 3-4 years, so they will get drafted. It's why we will not be able to hang with older teams who have 2-3 guys that can fire away from 3.

Part of that is the way we recruit (dominant 5-star HS players but not shooters). Look at what Fletcher Loyer did to us and he was a 4 star kid, ranked 90th at ESPN. It's an odd thing. 12-15 years ago, Duke was not very athletic. They changed that with going after multiple top 10 recruits but lost sight of the balance in recruiting.

We don't recruit players we will retain 3-4 years. Loyer is likely to play 4 years at Purdue.

I think we need to create a blend in our recruiting. Rather than 5-6 players in the top 30, maybe 2-3-4 in a given year, and 1-2 outside shooters in the 40-80 range who will get 3-4 years and be seniors when we have top tier frosh coming in.

Or, try to get some shooters in the transfer market.

Players don't really improve their shooting between December and January.

Honestly, people are pointing to Whitehead or Proctor, but I don't see it. Arguably the best 3 point shooter we have is Filipowski. He's also are only true low post threat. We need two of him. It's stunning to me that Lively was the #1 recruit but he is so raw and has little polish compared to Filipowski at the same age.

There really aren't any pure shooters on this team. There are guys who can make buckets and may be good in the NBA in 3-4 years, so they will get drafted. It's why we will not be able to hang with older teams who have 2-3 guys that can fire away from 3.

Part of that is the way we recruit (dominant 5-star HS players but not shooters). Look at what Fletcher Loyer did to us and he was a 4 star kid, ranked 90th at ESPN. It's an odd thing. 12-15 years ago, Duke was not very athletic. They changed that with going after multiple top 10 recruits but lost sight of the balance in recruiting.

We don't recruit players we will retain 3-4 years. Loyer is likely to play 4 years at Purdue.

I think we need to create a blend in our recruiting. Rather than 5-6 players in the top 30, maybe 2-3-4 in a given year, and 1-2 outside shooters in the 40-80 range who will get 3-4 years and be seniors when we have top tier frosh coming in.

Or, try to get some shooters in the transfer market.
These rankings seem to based on 3-5 years potential down the road, no relevance to how they will perform one or two yrs in college. Lively reminds me of those 7 ft projects that FSU gets: McLeod, Ojo He’s more polished than those examples but doesn’t look like you’d expect a 1 ranked player. I don’t understand how you can play basketball for years and not develop some sort of low post game. You’re 7 ft tall with presumably huge hands. How hard would a jump hook be?

We took less 3's in the last game. There seemed to be an effort to drive and get the ball inside, rather than just throwing up 3 point shots. Because we are clearly not a good 3 point shooting team. We might be occasionally, or in practice, or in warm ups.

Last edited:
Proctor’s stroke looks great, and I’m confident it will start going in more. Need Whitehead to start giving us more points obviously.

Grandison should always be in the corner ready to shoot. His handles are pretty iffy but as seen below, he is elite from 2 spots.
Fi2miv1XwAUWfmB

Proctor’s stroke looks great, and I’m confident it will start going in more. Need Whitehead to start giving us more points obviously.

Grandison should always be in the corner ready to shoot. His handles are pretty iffy but as seen below, he is elite from 2 spots.
Fi2miv1XwAUWfmB
Impressive research DTDF. "Grands" came in as a PROVEN COLLEGIATE shooter, and I look for him to help our percentage! OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT