ADVERTISEMENT

2022 recruiting

We need some recruits as Jalen Blakes cannot play all 5 positions. If Roach and Moore come back that's a decent core.

I’ve seen no targets as of yet. I do believe this is K’s last ride as head coach. Usually offers or kids the staff are watching are out now but then again thanks to COVID who knows the correct rankings.

It really just seems like we’re going to go all out this year for K and then he’ll retire and the new head coach is going to have to scramble to put a team together. It’s a tricky situation for sure.

Why do I get the feeling the year after coach retires will be a complete train wreck.
Or it could be there’s not enough info out on recruits to where anyone feels like offering in the chance of missing out on another recruit. Remember duke is looking at possibly only two return players . That’s at least eight spots needed to fill.

It really just seems like we’re going to go all out this year for K and then he’ll retire and the new head coach is going to have to scramble to put a team together. It’s a tricky situation for sure.
Do you really think K would behave like that? Especially given that he would want to turn the program over to someone who had been in the program? It is quite possible that he retires next year but given the way Duke recruits, it may be that they have not been able to gather the info they need, given covid, to offer scholarships for 2022.

Reactions: dukiejay
Any word on how we are doing or close to getting any commits? OFC

Not sure we are close to closing anyone right now. Think most schools are pretty far behind this year in landing 2022 kids. You look at the Rivals 150 and there are like 10-15 guys committed, whereas normally that’s a much higher number. Between this being the first year of the transfer portal and so many guys waiting to the fall in hopes of finally being able to visit schools unlike they couldn’t last year.

In regards to names that I’ve seen mentioned, those are: Jaden Bradley, Kijani Wright, Cason Wallace and Maliq Brown thus far.

The transfer portal has mollyfocked things too.
Indeed. Look at what Kara Lawson did to completely rebuild her roster. Of course, time will tell whether that culminates in a strong team, but on paper she made something out of an empty cupboard. That recruiting season won’t begin until we’re well into the 2021-2022 season.
And of course, if K is planning to retire after this year - not unlikely by any means - his successor may already be tapped (subject, of course, to the new AD’s approval 😝), and working on the prospects for that class.

Do you really think K would behave like that? Especially given that he would want to turn the program over to someone who had been in the program? It is quite possible that he retires next year but given the way Duke recruits, it may be that they have not been able to gather the info they need, given covid, to offer scholarships for 2022.

This. K is not going to stop recruiting because he is going to retire the following season. He would want to leave a good in coming class in place for the incoming coach. The coaches have not been out because of covid. They just don't sling offers all over the place like some schools. They are definitely selective and like to see recruits in person before offering. It may hurt Duke some this go around, but in the end they will be OK.

Reactions: skysdad
The staff is obviously working on it behind the scenes. But here's the deal....player evaluations virtually stopped last spring. And when I say stopped, I mean stopped. For every team. I read an article the other day that talked about how the summer recruiting circuit will be like nothing we have ever seen before. Expect daily updates and lots of movement once we enter July across the entire country.

And let's say this is K's last year, which I'm still not convinced it will be....it's not as if he's going to leave the school he's worked for the past 40+ years, or the new coach, hung out to dry. Eight weeks from now there will be so many names from 2022 on the radar our heads will be spinning. And trust me, we'll land a number of guys come fall. There's just no movement anywhere right now.

That could very well be the case but I definitely think part of the non-recruiting has been because they don’t see too much of a point. I do think they’re getting involved with recruits just so they’re familiar with the school and everything but so many of these young players commit to coaches. When a coach leaves it changes everything. So in my opinion part of me thinks it’s not wanting to lead these kids to far in a recruitment when they know that K may not be there. I know K would never leave the program dry like that on purpose but at the same time does he really want to go all in on these kids and give them the idea that they have the possibility to play for an all time great just for him to announce he’s retiring come April? I would like to think there’s a certain level of respect K would show these players, which I’m sure he is.

Reactions: christophero
It worries me some, as almost all of our big recruits have said they want to play for coach K. When he is not here, will Duke still have the pull it once did?

It worries me some, as almost all of our big recruits have said they want to play for coach K. When he is not here, will Duke still have the pull it once did?

Of course Duke won’t have the same pull. We’re talking about the best college basketball coach ever retiring. If you don’t expect a fall off you’re foolish.

I think coach cackles has offered every decent 2022 prospect out there. Hopefully we can get one or two of them and save them from playing for the most corrupt and dirtiest program ever. OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
I think coach cackles has offered every decent 2022 prospect out there. Hopefully we can get one or two of them and save them from playing for the most corrupt and dirtiest program ever. OFC
Skysdad is correct. Hubert Davis has offered every male American high school senior 6'5" and taller a full scholarship. So far, no takers, but I Bbxthink that it's a brilliant strategy. I really think the best plan is to take two incoming freshman who you really like, and fill in the gaps from the transfer portal

Breakdown on Dariq Whitehead and Dereck Lively, both set to visit Duke in June. Both are big time difference makers.

Darryl Morsell a senior guard from Maryland is transferring. We are on his list. 6-5, averaged 9 a game, great defender. Was Big 12 co-defender of the year. Would have to be okay with 10 or 15 minutes a game but would provide experience and defense.

Darryl Morsell a senior guard from Maryland is transferring. We are on his list. 6-5, averaged 9 a game, great defender. Was Big 12 co-defender of the year. Would have to be okay with 10 or 15 minutes a game but would provide experience and defense.
Could always use a guy who can play D. OFC

I realize he is a long shot but sounds like just the kind of guy we need since losing Goldwire.

He sounds like a perfect fit for Duke. The team has plenty of offense. He is not related to Casey Morsell who recently transferred from Virginia to NC State

Some guys making decisions in the next few weeks. Would be nice to get the ball rolling. Dariq Whitehead for one. Not sure when Flipowski is deciding.

Reactions: timo0402
Wait but I thought recruiting would fall off scheyer’s first year as coach. So if he reels in a top five class does he move a notch up in some eyes?

good get for Scheyer and the staff.

He's pulled in one top 50 recruit. Let's not call it a superclass just yet.
No I agree but what exactly is classified as a super class? Super classes don’t exactly add up to championship either. I’m simply saying if Scheyer AND STAFF add whitehead it’s a good beginning for an unproven coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT