Votes: 108 53.7%
  • Luke Kennard

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Frank Jackson

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 19 9.5%

• Total voters
Interesting that so many feel Chase will leave even though Duke is likely pushing for a medical redshirt for him.....

Interesting that so many feel Chase will leave even though Duke is likely pushing for a medical redshirt for him.....
I've only heard that here on this board about the medical redshirt but does anyone blame him?
I mean he rode the pine and another thing that might have him thinking is look what Semi did after transferring out. He's got a lot to think about and what imo it comes down to is with Carter coming in and Bolden possibly back, where does he fit in as a junior? Or does he feel a year off change of scenery will give him time to process and figure things out.

I love Frank Jackson but he doesn't have the court vision to be the PG next year for Duke. With all the hype around Duval I hope we get him and allow Jackson to play a combo role.

Reactions: Showenuff

I've only heard that here on this board about the medical redshirt but does anyone blame him?
I mean he rode the pine and another thing that might have him thinking is look what Semi did after transferring out. He's got a lot to think about and what imo it comes down to is with Carter coming in and Bolden possibly back, where does he fit in as a junior? Or does he feel a year off change of scenery will give him time to process and figure things out.
I've seen several people mention the possibility of a medical redshirt for Jeter. I get it that maybe the coaching staff or maybe even Jeter thinks it could be the best idea to save him a year of eligibility but what I'm curious about is why specifically a medical redshirt and not just a regular redshirt. I don't know a lot about the specifics of players redshirting, so let's say they apply for and are granted a medical redshirt for him that will still give him 3 years of eligibility left but then what if say 2 years from now he gets hurt and misses the season, since he'd already used a medical redshirt would he be able to apply for another medical redshirt? The reason I ask is because if a player can only have one medical redshirt then why not just use a "normal" redshirt for this season then if he were to need a medical redshirt later in his career if he needed it. I seem to remember players in the past using a "regular" redshirt then later using a medical redshirt and being in college for a total of 6 years.

Hey Carolina hasn't gone the one and done route. Every once in a while you get a kid that is good enough to go. K was jealous of Calipari and all the OAD talent he was bringing in and he started playing that card.

Carolina has most certainly gone the one-and-done route....they just haven't landed the kids. They recruited Jabari, Jahlil, Brandon and Harry....and those are just the guys Duke landed. It doesn't include Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Noah Vonleh, Rashad Vaughn, Jaylen Brown, Diamond Stone, Henry Ellenson, Steven Zimmerman, Bam Adebayo, Mohammed Bamba, Wendell Carter, and now Kevin Knox....that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

To say K was jealous is foolish. He was recruiting those same kids 8-10 years ago....we weren't landing them then and people were complaining.

Carolina has most certainly gone the one-and-done route....they just haven't landed the kids. They recruited Jabari, Jahlil, Brandon and Harry....and those are just the guys Duke landed. It doesn't include Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Noah Vonleh, Rashad Vaughn, Jaylen Brown, Diamond Stone, Henry Ellenson, Steven Zimmerman, Bam Adebayo, Mohammed Bamba, Wendell Carter, and now Kevin Knox....that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

To say K was jealous is foolish. He was recruiting those same kids 8-10 years ago....we weren't landing them then and people were complaining.

Bingo. Carolina has recruited the same kids the other blue bloods have. There are a multitude of factors as to why we haven't landed them. But I always say that if Roy was pulling in the classes UK and Duke have been the past few years, not a soul would be complaining. That's why getting Knox is so crucial for us at the moment.

I've seen several people mention the possibility of a medical redshirt for Jeter. I get it that maybe the coaching staff or maybe even Jeter thinks it could be the best idea to save him a year of eligibility but what I'm curious about is why specifically a medical redshirt and not just a regular redshirt. I don't know a lot about the specifics of players redshirting, so let's say they apply for and are granted a medical redshirt for him that will still give him 3 years of eligibility left but then what if say 2 years from now he gets hurt and misses the season, since he'd already used a medical redshirt would he be able to apply for another medical redshirt? The reason I ask is because if a player can only have one medical redshirt then why not just use a "normal" redshirt for this season then if he were to need a medical redshirt later in his career if he needed it. I seem to remember players in the past using a "regular" redshirt then later using a medical redshirt and being in college for a total of 6 years.

Technically, unless the rule has changed, Chase wouldn't be able to apply for the medical redshirt now...it'd be for down the road.

But yes, I'm hearing this is something Duke and Chase would both explore.

Technically, unless the rule has changed, Chase wouldn't be able to apply for the medical redshirt now...it'd be for down the road.

But yes, I'm hearing this is something Duke and Chase would both explore.
That's what I was thinking based on what little bit that I know about the redshirt rules. A medical redshirt is usually applied for early in the season (like with Amile last season) and "regular" redshirt for other situations like with Chase this season but then if he were to need it in the future due to an early season injury then he could possibly apply for a medical redshirt, it'd be uncommon thought because there haven't been too many cases that I can remember a player using both a "regular" redshirt and a medical redshirt while in college.

Exactly. Only 4 players out of the last 2 Top 15 high school recruiting classes are still in school. Roy has THREE of 'em. So , yeah. Fan-wise , it's been great for unx. Heck , they could even be formidable next season too. Jackson and Berry are only juniors and you can bet yer azz if Roy doesn't load up on this next class , both will return. In this day and age of so-called "blue blood schools" loading up on OAD's , Roy's in a 1965 time warp. Top players commit and stay multiple years. THAT is hurting his recruiting as much , if not more , than the scandal. Of course , this is all moot if he signs a few of the blue-chippers who have been avoiding 'im the last few seasons. The point is this...his program should be , at best , akin to Sylvia Hatchell's. Hers was devastated by scandal-related issues and she's rebuilding. Due to the millions spent by unx to kick the can down the road with regards to their dealings with the NCAA & his top guys staying multiple years , Roy has been able to tread water quite comfortably. Disgusting.
Jackson is gone. Berry likely to return.

That's what I was thinking based on what little bit that I know about the redshirt rules. A medical redshirt is usually applied for early in the season (like with Amile last season) and "regular" redshirt for other situations like with Chase this season but then if he were to need it in the future due to an early season injury then he could possibly apply for a medical redshirt, it'd be uncommon thought because there haven't been too many cases that I can remember a player using both a "regular" redshirt and a medical redshirt while in college.
As far as I am aware, you can apply for a medical redshirt at any time. It is only granted if you missed a certain percentage of the season due to medical injury. I believe it is something like 60% of the games or something.

So if you played say 38 games and my 60% guess is correct, then Jeter could have only play in like 15 games all season and missed the rest to injury to be able to apply.

Check the numbers tho. I am unsure of the exact number.

Hello fellas,

First off I would like to state that I am born and raised in Lexington,Ky(any college bball fan knows whose territory this is) but I have been a Duke fan since middle school, I am currently 31. I am a long long long time viewer, first time poster.

What can I say about this season that has not already been said? Not much. I believe a lot of people on this board are over valuing Luke, Grayson, and yes even Harry's NBA stock. The NBA is a MAN's league, also it is for the uber-athletic. Grayson is a great athlete but in the NBA he is average at best. Luke has almost zero athleticism. Neither Grayson or Luke have good on ball defense, they would not be able to guard ANY backup SG in the league and that is the truth. I love them both but they gotta get their defense up if they do not want to end up in the D-League. Not to mention Grayson's ball handling needs work, with the season he had with all the childishness I do not see him leaving his Duke legacy with this season. Luke can leave based off this season but he would not be lottery, and once again he can not guard a fence or jump over a credit card in comparison to NBA shooting guards. He also based off sundays game is not ready to be tough mentally when opponents are being very physical, and they refs are letting them get away with it. He is not ready mentally for NBA level defense. Harry Giles........... has averaged what 10 mins for the season if that? I believe that speaks more than I could ever. He can go to the league based off potential, probably might even make it in the lottery. But he is not ready, I believe he and his family know this. He is still playing "not to get hurt", instead of just "playing". Harry's best bet is to take out an insurance policy like collegiate athletes before him (Dashaun Watson just had one for $10 mil this past season), but I will admit it is hard to say NO to millions of dollars so I am on the fence on if Harry will return or not.

Luke and Grayson are not ready for the league, if they choose to go they will end up on a D-League roster when the 2017-18 NBA season tips off. Bolden is not good right now and needs loads of work. He has zero back to basket game and can not play defense he WONT get drafted if he tries to go, now transfer? maybe.

There is only one player on this Duke roster who is pro ready and his name is Jayson Tatum. He has the size, length, speed, athleticism, and has more skill than most NBA backup small forwards while being 19 years old and can GUARD NBA- level small forwards all over the court.

I love Duke now and forever. This years team showed a lot of resiliency and poise (cept for Sunday lol) and I love them for that. I will support what ever they decide to do.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!

Bingo. Carolina has recruited the same kids the other blue bloods have. There are a multitude of factors as to why we haven't landed them. But I always say that if Roy was pulling in the classes UK and Duke have been the past few years, not a soul would be complaining. That's why getting Knox is so crucial for us at the moment.

I don't think there is a MULTITUDE of factors your recruiting went South. It's the cheating Scandal. End of story. It STILL affecting you to this day.

So you're saying there's a chance!

I recall last year Ingram getting emotional and saying he wanted to stay but K said give it a few days. Obviously Ingram made the right choice.

Yeah but they're world apart

Hello fellas,

First off I would like to state that I am born and raised in Lexington,Ky(any college bball fan knows whose territory this is) but I have been a Duke fan since middle school, I am currently 31. I am a long long long time viewer, first time poster.

What can I say about this season that has not already been said? Not much. I believe a lot of people on this board are over valuing Luke, Grayson, and yes even Harry's NBA stock. The NBA is a MAN's league, also it is for the uber-athletic. Grayson is a great athlete but in the NBA he is average at best. Luke has almost zero athleticism. Neither Grayson or Luke have good on ball defense, they would not be able to guard ANY backup SG in the league and that is the truth. I love them both but they gotta get their defense up if they do not want to end up in the D-League. Not to mention Grayson's ball handling needs work, with the season he had with all the childishness I do not see him leaving his Duke legacy with this season. Luke can leave based off this season but he would not be lottery, and once again he can not guard a fence or jump over a credit card in comparison to NBA shooting guards. He also based off sundays game is not ready to be tough mentally when opponents are being very physical, and they refs are letting them get away with it. He is not ready mentally for NBA level defense. Harry Giles........... has averaged what 10 mins for the season if that? I believe that speaks more than I could ever. He can go to the league based off potential, probably might even make it in the lottery. But he is not ready, I believe he and his family know this. He is still playing "not to get hurt", instead of just "playing". Harry's best bet is to take out an insurance policy like collegiate athletes before him (Dashaun Watson just had one for $10 mil this past season), but I will admit it is hard to say NO to millions of dollars so I am on the fence on if Harry will return or not.

Luke and Grayson are not ready for the league, if they choose to go they will end up on a D-League roster when the 2017-18 NBA season tips off. Bolden is not good right now and needs loads of work. He has zero back to basket game and can not play defense he WONT get drafted if he tries to go, now transfer? maybe.

There is only one player on this Duke roster who is pro ready and his name is Jayson Tatum. He has the size, length, speed, athleticism, and has more skill than most NBA backup small forwards while being 19 years old and can GUARD NBA- level small forwards all over the court.

I love Duke now and forever. This years team showed a lot of resiliency and poise (cept for Sunday lol) and I love them for that. I will support what ever they decide to do.

We are so glad you support their decision. I am sure that is very important to them.

I've generally been wrong when it came to players that I thought would come back the following season. The only time that I can remember being right was when I said I thought that Grayson would come back this season and in this poll I voted that I think Harry and Jayson will be the only players that we lose because I just think that Grayson and Luke will come back because I think they'll both want another run at a championship because there was an article where Grayson said that was why he came back this year and I think Luke might feel the same way. I also think Marques will also be back because I don't think he came in as ready as most people thought he would be anc I'm not sure that he's ready for the NBA yet either. I also don't think Chase will leave/transfer because the reason that he didn't get much playing time this season was mainly due to the fact that he was injured a lot this season. As far as Frank, I could possibly see him leaving after next season IF he has a really good season next year because he showed this season that he's a very talented player but I don't think he's quite ready for the NBA yet.
You're not allowed to speculate on here unless you are of the opinion that Luke and Grayson are gone.

Reactions: Redickulous4
Hello fellas,

First off, welcome to the board. Post and post often.

Some of the points you made about Grayson, Luke and Harry are all valid. All three need to make improvements if they're going to stick in the League for the long haul. I don't think you'll find a single person who disagrees with you there. That said, why can't they make improvements while they're getting paid?

Now, we can probably make a better case for why Grayson should come back because it's unlikely he's drafted in the first round....thus, no guaranteed money. That's not true for Harry and Luke. I doubt if you talked to them either would say "they're ready" for what's about to be thrown at them. But sometimes we have to make tough decisions. And to be honest....millions of dollars to most people isn't a tough decision. Sure, they can improve at Duke. They can also improve at the next level. Can you honestly tell me your 19- or 20-year-old self 10+ years ago would have said, "you know what, I really enjoy college and that seven-figure job 'might' be there when I'm done"?

Trust me, I'd love to have them back. Both of them. But it's not my best interest, or yours, they need to worry about.

Not saying Giles is coming back, but there's a huge difference between where Ingram was last year and Giles is this year. Giles ain't going in the top 10 much less top 2.

Reactions: pisgah101
I don't think there is a MULTITUDE of factors your recruiting went South. It's the cheating Scandal. End of story. It STILL affecting you to this day.

I agree that the scandal has taken quite a toll. But I've seen many on here slam Carolina fans for saying that was the only reason why recruiting has suffered. I think there are other factors, one of which is that Roy is perceived as not being someone who gets people to the nba or fosters OAD talent.

^ I agree....the scandal is part of the reason, but it's not the sole reason. I'd even say the perception you listed is just as big. K dealt with the same thing 10 years ago.

Thought a medical redshirt was determined by the number of games you played in? Pretty sure that if you played in 20% of your teams games you are not eligible for the medical rs

ikc, being a smartass to people you do not know on the net shows lack of maturity and also is a sign in real life you get beat up a lot.

Jay, I agree with you 100%. The thing is Luke and Grayson come from families that are not hurting for money, so I expect them to make the right choice and comeback. Harry on the other hand does not come from money, so I would not be surprised if he chose to go pro.

My opinion -

Gone: Tatum, Giles, Kennard, Allen

Return: Jackson, Bolden

ikc, being a smartass to people you do not know on the net shows lack of maturity and also is a sign in real life you get beat up a lot.

Jay, I agree with you 100%. The thing is Luke and Grayson come from families that are not hurting for money, so I expect them to make the right choice and comeback. Harry on the other hand does not come from money, so I would not be surprised if he chose to go pro.
Why do you think the right choice is coming back. Should not the right choice be what is best for the player and his family or should the right choice be what is best for Duke fans.

when do they have to decide and cant they now go do the combine before deciding to stay or go?
I think they are allowed. The players are allowed to get as much feed back as possible but I think the date to return is shorter if I'm not mistaken.
Don't the players usually have the individual meetings with K at the end of the season before actually announcing anything?

Because I can name at least 30 Backup 2's in the league that would get picked up before Luke and Grayson. They would not do what they do on offense against NBA backups let alone starters, and they cant guard anyone in the league lol. The NBA does not run a lot of zone. Look at another crafty college player Jimmer Fredette everyone thought he was about to blow up in the league, he is overseas and he stayed 4 years. Although I believe Luke is a better prospect than Jimmer, they are both crafty scorers with zero defense and limited athleticism.

Not to mention Grayson's ball handling is mediocre at best.

Last edited:
If Grayson hadn't went through all of the stuff that he had to endure during the season then I'd say he would come back. Yes, a great deal he brought on himself, but there was a point where it became a witch hunt unlike anything I've seen and that's a lot to endure for a 20-21 year old kid. Given the facts that he has started to creep back up draft boards and will be a few classes away from graduating in 3 years, I believe he is 90-95% gone. For Luke, he is a lock to be a 1st round pick, even though the physicality of the SC game exposed him somewhat I believe he looks at what could happen given what has happened to Grayson's stock and therefore he will go pro as well.

If Grayson hadn't went through all of the stuff that he had to endure during the season then I'd say he would come back. Yes, a great deal he brought on himself, but there was a point where it became a witch hunt unlike anything I've seen and that's a lot to endure for a 20-21 year old kid. Given the facts that he has started to creep back up draft boards and will be a few classes away from graduating in 3 years, I believe he is 90-95% gone. For Luke, he is a lock to be a 1st round pick, even though the physicality of the SC game exposed him somewhat I believe he looks at what could happen given what has happened to Grayson's stock and therefore he will go pro as well.

I disagree slightly with regards to Grayson. The plan from the start of the season was that this would be it for him. He made the choice with his family and staff and decided on one more season. Things didn't go as planned....in fact, they probably couldn't have gone worse. I feel, however slight it may be, that there's a better chance today he comes back than there was four months ago. But still, I put the chances of him returning, at best, around 20-25%.

Reactions: Baller224
I disagree slightly with regards to Grayson. The plan from the start of the season was that this would be it for him. He made the choice with his family and staff and decided on one more season. Things didn't go as planned....in fact, they probably couldn't have gone worse. I feel, however slight it may be, that there's a better chance today he comes back than there was four months ago. But still, I put the chances of him returning, at best, around 20-25%.
DJ if he is a second rounder do you think it is still only 20%.IMO if he is a second rounder he comes backk unless he just does not want to be the villain again

DJ if he is a second rounder do you think it is still only 20%.IMO if he is a second rounder he comes backk unless he just does not want to be the villain again
That's basically the question. Can't really blame him if he says screw this, I'd rather be a second round pick and take my chances than go through that bullshit again.

Luke is a first round lock, he's gone. Could there be a scenario where he says maybe I'll come back- I guess until anything is 100% done there is, but I'd be blown away stunned at this point. Grayson is just a completely different story, but as a few have pointed out he has started to reappear on draft boards in the first round. Both kids will clearly test the waters and receive all of the necessary feedback. But as I've said ad nauseum I don't expect either to return.

I know it's probably the slightest of chances for happening, but I get chills thinking about having Harry and Wendell in the paint together. That could be ridiculous. We would OWN rebounds. And shot blocks? OMG. I hate to lose Harry, he was just finding his way back and the season ended.

Reactions: sheyduke
I'm surprised we haven't heard anyone declare for the draft yet. I was willing to bet on it that Monday would be the day Tatum would declare for the NBA!

A poster named Jakarii started a thread on the main board claiming that he's supposedly gotten info from Frank Jackaon's inner circle out in Utah that Frank is going to declare for the draft and hire an agent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT